The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Eagles / Bats - What Happened?

Dcole4
Rohan

Aug 11 2015, 9:14pm

Post #1 of 11 (907 views)
Shortcut
Eagles / Bats - What Happened? Can't Post

One thing I remember PJ and the actors (RA specifically) pumping up was the fact that the battle would be "three dimensional" involving ariel battles between eagles and bats. While we got a few snippets of this, it seems odd that they talked it up. The eagle footage was probably less substantial or on par with what we've seen of them in the previous films.

I was expecting more from them upon Radagast and Beorn's arrival. I'm hoping this section is expanded upon. It'd be really nice if they use a couple minutes to re-incorporate the rest of the battle. Isolating the Ravenhill duels was an odd choice and stripped Azog vs. Thorin of stakes. It would have been nice to have seen what the Company, Gandalf, Bard, Thranduil and Dain were up to during this stretch. I heard rumors that there was a few scenes removed from this section, fingers crossed that they make it back in. Perhaps his is where Gandalf utters "How shall this day end?" I can't imagine him saying it in the existing scenes.

(This post was edited by Dcole4 on Aug 11 2015, 9:15pm)

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 11 2015, 9:24pm

Post #2 of 11 (854 views)
Shortcut
the battle itself could have been a unique thing [In reply to] Can't Post

But instead they focused a lot in the streetfight at Dale. We could have had a sensational air fight. In the book goblins descend downwards the slopes of the mountain allmost vertical but nothing of this happened. Iloved the supertrolls and all the designs of the evil forces but having barely no bats, nor eagles, no wargs! NO BEORN...could have been a unique battle with its own flavour

I hope the EE will use all the potential the trilogy itself prepared for the conclusion and that finally didnt get finished

Im beggining to think PJ really runned out of time. And that decided the thriller pace was a good way to resolve it all because the way the trilogy has developed there is no way to finish all that the way he did it. Even with twenty more minutes. Ireally see it hard

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

Ilmatar
Rohan

Aug 11 2015, 10:20pm

Post #3 of 11 (773 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book goblins descend downwards the slopes of the mountain allmost vertical but nothing of this happened.

Maybe because it had already happened in the Goblin Town in AUJ, right after the Great Goblin is killed...? (Although I'm sure they could have found ways to make such a scene different enough if they wanted to include it.)

I agree that more could have been made of an air battle between the bats and the Eagles. In general, it feels like the focus was too much in Dale and too little in the battlefield before Erebor (and the dwarves).

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 11 2015, 11:37pm

Post #4 of 11 (710 views)
Shortcut
The Eagles [In reply to] Can't Post

Given that we had strong hints of eagles fighting bats, and that article before the film which said that the eagles would be 'part of the plan', and arrive before Beorn, I really think at one stage the plan was for them not to turn the tide of battle completely, but arrive much sooner, and eventually find their effectiveness stifled, setting the desperate stage for Beorn's timely arrival. Goodness knows what happened, as I think this would have been a lot better. It's particularly baffling given that Jackson has spoken about the eagles in something of a disparaging way, obviously growing increasingly frustrated by all the talk of their role in LOTR down the years and their Deus-Ex Machina function. Here was a chance to change that, and instead he goes for more of the same. Why? It's all very strange.

Dcole4
Rohan

Aug 11 2015, 11:45pm

Post #5 of 11 (707 views)
Shortcut
Yes.. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's very weird, and unfortunate. EW posted the map, likely from before the switch to three films that showed Beorn as his own arrow on the battlefield, arriving from a different direction than the eagles. It hints at a larger presence for the skin changer. It's really baffling how much these films changed from the switch from 2 films to 3 with many of the changes proving to damage the original plan.

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 11 2015, 11:49pm

Post #6 of 11 (703 views)
Shortcut
That plan [In reply to] Can't Post

What was particularly interesting about that was that the story was posted about a couple of months before the film came out, so we all thought that's how it would be. Was it changed very late in the game?

Dcole4
Rohan

Aug 12 2015, 12:04am

Post #7 of 11 (686 views)
Shortcut
Probably... [In reply to] Can't Post

Like many things that were needlessly changed (most often for the worse). Maybe it'll be restored in the EE, but again with only 20 minutes, it'd have to only be 2-4 minutes of footage.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2015, 7:50am

Post #8 of 11 (525 views)
Shortcut
all the same could have been done by orcs. even bats carrying orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

Would have been original

Arannir
Valinor

Aug 12 2015, 6:39pm

Post #9 of 11 (386 views)
Shortcut
Sorry for sounding bitter.. [In reply to] Can't Post

... but the battle was one giant missed opportunity.

No use of the air battle, no use of the slopes of the mountain, no real use of the climate (apart from Azog/Thorin) - snow storm etc - , no giant Beorn moment, no Dwarven hero moments, no nephews falling defending their uncle.

Sigh, sigh, sigh.

The way the battle turned out to be is one of the reasons why I suspect PJ was not truely master of some of the big decisions... Cannot believe he didn't show his grasp for golden cinematic moments at all with this battle.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2015, 7:41pm

Post #10 of 11 (360 views)
Shortcut
im agree but i think beorn arrival [In reply to] Can't Post

Was a really cool way to see it apart from that and the attack of thorin and co from the gates and elves helping dwarves, the battle was always bigger in my head

Cillendor
Lorien

Aug 18 2015, 6:34pm

Post #11 of 11 (199 views)
Shortcut
"What happened" is my biggest question during the battle. [In reply to] Can't Post

The movie spends so much time focusing on Ravenhill and ignoring a giant BATTLE of FIVE ARMIES taking place below that it's easy to forget the battle is even going on. I hated the entire Ravenhill sequence, but hopefully there will at least be a little more balance.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.