The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
silmarilion movie thread?

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 11 2015, 2:40pm

Post #1 of 10 (2635 views)
Shortcut
silmarilion movie thread? Can't Post

My request is for a Silmarilion movie thread. I know there are no rumours about. But fans we need to expres some questions and dreams and hopes or even ideas. I think the existence of this kind of thread would spark the flame to our wild imagination

XD

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Aug 11 2015, 5:02pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 11 2015, 3:05pm

Post #2 of 10 (2601 views)
Shortcut
Threat or thread? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you mean a separate forum for a theoretical Silmarillion film, I don't think that we need one. Start a discussion up on Main (if there isn't already a recent existing one).

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

NottaSackville
Valinor

Aug 11 2015, 4:09pm

Post #3 of 10 (2586 views)
Shortcut
Make the Silmarillion or I'll refuse to go see it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 11 2015, 5:03pm

Post #4 of 10 (2585 views)
Shortcut
I fixed the spelling errors. [In reply to] Can't Post

Threat and Thread are very different topics! Smile

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Aug 11 2015, 8:50pm

Post #5 of 10 (2547 views)
Shortcut
lol thankyou [In reply to] Can't Post

My english goes crazy sometimes:)

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Aug 13 2015, 11:34pm

Post #6 of 10 (2420 views)
Shortcut
I would love it if [In reply to] Can't Post

The Children of Hurin was made into a movie. Children of Hurin is one of my favorite Tolkien books, along with Return of the King.Smile

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Aug 16 2015, 1:48pm

Post #7 of 10 (2291 views)
Shortcut
Hobbits in framing scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking of a tv series or series of feature length movies for tv about tales of the First and Second Age as framed by scenes with Bilbo and with Frodo. I previously mentioned the idea here

Eru Ilúvatar lived in a timeless state,
Then he created the Ainur to sing his magnum opus. Wait….
The one who had most power,
Melkor, sang his section sour,
Ilúvatar got rather dour,
He sang Eä! (he let the Ainur in).
Melkor, in jealousy, he sought to mar the symphony
That all started with the first word. (BANG!)

https://youtu.be/lhTSfOZUNLo

basti255
The Shire

Aug 23 2015, 8:45pm

Post #8 of 10 (2106 views)
Shortcut
Children of Hurin [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Children of Hurin was made into a movie. Children of Hurin is one of my favorite Tolkien books, along with Return of the King.Smile

The children of Hurin was made into a movie? Do tell more O.o .

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 24 2015, 1:19am

Post #9 of 10 (2091 views)
Shortcut
She didn't say it was. [In reply to] Can't Post

She said she would love it if it was made into a movie.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 25 2015, 2:06am

Post #10 of 10 (2059 views)
Shortcut
Silmarillion Cinematic Universe [In reply to] Can't Post

Trying to tell the story of The Silmarillion in a single trilogy (much less a single film) would make about as much sense as trying to condense the whole of Greek mythology into the same space. The only possible way would be to reduce the various stories to their bare bone basics and summarize several of them in each film. This is the sorta thing you see recommended in occasional blog posts on this topic, but it goes against the basic principles of narrative film-making and would be boring as hell to boot.

If you want to tell the story of The Silmarillion, you'd need many films, each covering one of the stories and at most a handful of the major character found within. They would of course interconnect and there would be points at which many established heroes come together, particularly for the Battles of Beleriand. If we were to continue the Marvel Cinematic Universe analogy, than the Great Battles would be like the anchoring Avengers films (or like the upcoming Civil War movie, probably). But the real meat of the project would be the stand-alones and sub-series following specific characters, especially the Great Tales.

I wouldn't bother trying to cover the Ainulindale except for references in early prologues. I'd also cut out all or almost all of the scenes set in Valinor. Aside from the technical difficulties in portraying paradise in a visual medium, I think it's essential to preserve what Tolkien referred to as "unattainable vistas" in Letter 247:

I am doubtful myself about the undertaking. Part of the attraction of The L.R. is, I think, due to the glimpses of a large history in the background : an attraction like that of viewing far off an unvisited island, or seeing the towers of a distant city gleaming in a sunlit mist. To go there is to destroy the magic, unless new unattainable vistas are again revealed. Also many of the older legends are purely 'mythological', and nearly all are grim and tragic: a long account of the disasters that destroyed the beauty of the Ancient World, from the darkening of Valinor to the Downfall of Númenor and the flight of Elendil. And there are no hobbits. Nor does Gandalf appear, except in a passing mention; for his time of importance did not begin until the Third Age. The only major characters of the L.R. who appear are Galadriel & Elrond.

The 1977 Silmarillion preserves this affect almost unintentionally since it was never finished, and remains even after Christopher Tolkien's editorial intervention merely a summary of the whole body of myth of the First Age. But to portray it in narrative film would necessitate a more "first person" perspective, including vast amounts of (basically fanfiction) writing to create dialogue, supporting characters, and detailed backstories and motivations. And it would make Beleriand attainable in every sense of the word. So the threshold of unattainability would have to shift, and I think it has to stop at Valinor, because the Timeless Halls and the Void don't really work as "vistas" at all; they're more like abstractions. This would also fit with the recurring theme of loss and regret relating to the rebellion of the Noldor and how Valinor is hidden from them. It would also allow some of Tolkien's ideas from Myths Transformed about the Mannish origins of The Silmarillion to be incorporated obliquely into the films.

All that said, I honestly don't want to see a Silmarillion adaptation, and I am grateful that the Tolkien Estate is holding onto the rights. Though obviously if one was somehow made I'd be there day one.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Aug 25 2015, 2:06am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.