The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Could Beorn's torture = R rating?

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 10 2015, 7:39pm

Post #1 of 6 (660 views)
Shortcut
Could Beorn's torture = R rating? Can't Post

I really don't know how the Beorn torture scene could possibly fit into BOT5A. My personal opinion is that this scene was a flashback originally intended for DOS, when Beorn was talking to the Dwarves. But most of the talk/rumor seems to be that Beorn was in Dol Goldur at the same time as Gandalf, and gets rescued by Radaghast - I think that's so weird! Like how on earth did THAT happen? Doesn't make any sense to me.

But then I thought a "torture scene" of a somewhat human being could bump the rating up to an "R," so maybe that scene will be in. I must say, I don't particularly want to see any torture scene, anymore than I want to see Fili get beheaded (about 99% sure that's NOT going to happen). I never saw the "Hostel" movies for that reason - I mean, there's a difference between a good fight scene that gets bloody and deliberately harming someone who can't fight back.ShockedFrown Between not wanting to see torture & not seeing how it would fit in anyway, I really hope that's not the reason for the "R" rating.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

DainPig
Gondor

Aug 10 2015, 7:51pm

Post #2 of 6 (620 views)
Shortcut
"Radaghast" [In reply to] Can't Post

It make sense. Probably the torture scene will be very shocking and painful.... CrazyUnsureUnimpressed

And the skinchanger will yell some f-words WinkShocked

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

And my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Hobbit-Rules/676198089181339

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Aug 11 2015, 12:38am

Post #3 of 6 (444 views)
Shortcut
Quite agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

That scene isn't relevant to the story in the book, and it isn't needed for the story that the films depict either. So, I don't see the point of putting it in, when there are a lot of other scenes that will either help bring more of the book back into the film, or will help resolve loose ends and gaps in the TE. The Beorn scene would add yet another sub-plot to a film already arguably suffering from too many - the love story stuff, Alfrid's adventures, Azog and Bolg family dynamics etc.

I'd be quite happy to see more Beorn - but something that's in the book - or even something invented that fits the story that we've already seen. When I read the book, I assumed that Beorn had got wind of the vast goblin army moving towards the mountain (they'd be going past his house, or near it, if they came from the mountains), so I had visions of him tracking them - just as the eagles would have noticed the activity below and come to investigate. That would have made a nice scene - something to show what stirred them into getting involved.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 11 2015, 12:31pm

Post #4 of 6 (324 views)
Shortcut
Possible prologue... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I really don't know how the Beorn torture scene could possibly fit into BOT5A. My personal opinion is that this scene was a flashback originally intended for DOS, when Beorn was talking to the Dwarves.

I too am not sure how it will fit in, but if it were in the form of a flashback it could possibly play out in a prologue. Which to me would make sense because if the rumors that Beorn was in Dol Goldur at the same time as Gandalf, and is rescued by Radaghast are true, for me that raises the question: why doesn't Radaghast save Gandalf as well?

Another thing that is not clear to me is the Necromancer/Sauron torturing him or are the orcs torturing him on behalf of the Necromancer/Sauron? If it's the latter then why not change into a bear and just kill the orcs?

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 11 2015, 12:40pm

Post #5 of 6 (317 views)
Shortcut
Flashback [In reply to] Can't Post

We know that they shot Beorn at Rhosgobel with Gandalf and Radagast after Dol Guldur so a flashback her Maybe?

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 11 2015, 2:10pm

Post #6 of 6 (267 views)
Shortcut
I think it is very unlikely to be included. [In reply to] Can't Post

It would seem to be rather 2+2= 5 at the moment.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.