The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
fate of Bard/Dale EE

DainPig
Gondor

Aug 10 2015, 6:35pm

Post #1 of 11 (783 views)
Shortcut
fate of Bard/Dale EE Can't Post

Everyone talking about Alfrid's death and Thranduil taking back his gems... but no one talk about our friend Bard and his big city?

What Pig want to know:

1. We will see Bard's coronation?
  2. We will see the restauration of Dale?
  3. Bard will be at the Funeral?
  4. And the great one: in the movies, Dale will become a great city or a kingdom (Kingdom of Dale, as in the book)?
Thank you guys Smile

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

And my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Hobbit-Rules/676198089181339

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 10 2015, 7:04pm

Post #2 of 11 (716 views)
Shortcut
Well I'd rather see that [In reply to] Can't Post

than Alfrid's fate, but with only 20 minutes I don't know that we'll see either Bard's coronation or Dale getting rebuilt. I would think that Bard would be at the funeral, but in the TE there's that weird scene where people are blowing horns while looking toward Erebor. I guess that's some kind of tribute to Erebor/Thorin, though I can't imagine for the life of me why they would do that. Of course in the book Bard is there, and he returns the arkenstone to Thorin, who is buried with it. It would be nice to see that, and wouldn't take more than a minute to do.
But apparently, there's only 20 minutes, so....Mad

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 10 2015, 7:09pm

Post #3 of 11 (706 views)
Shortcut
Too soon? [In reply to] Can't Post

1. & 2. I've always had the impression that Bard's coronation took place much later, perhaps not until after the restoration of Dale was completed. This is something that would take much to long to show in the movie (since we have done without the future visit of Gandalf and Balin to Bag End).

3. In the film, I think that Bard is shown to be in Dale at the time of Thorin's funeral. If I'm wrong then he might be present.

4. Again, this is beyond the scope of the movie as it would be years after the Battle of Five Armies. The same goes for the rebuilding of Lake-town.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

dormouse
Half-elven

Aug 10 2015, 7:37pm

Post #4 of 11 (656 views)
Shortcut
I think Bard will be at the funeral... [In reply to] Can't Post

We already know really from the TE that he has taken over as head of the Lake men - there's no other contender. But the restoration of Dale would take years and, with his coronation, really goes way beyond the scope of The Hobbit.

bilbo1997
Bree

Aug 10 2015, 7:45pm

Post #5 of 11 (638 views)
Shortcut
Bard [In reply to] Can't Post

Bard becoming king isn't precisely necessary. At least i would like to see that the people of laketown get gold from Dain to rebuild their damn cities

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 10 2015, 9:22pm

Post #6 of 11 (563 views)
Shortcut
a while back.... [In reply to] Can't Post

but in the TE there's that weird scene where people are blowing horns while looking toward Erebor

it was pointed out to me that the horns weren't just blowing for the Durins, but for all of those in Dale that had fallen, and IMO as de facto leader of the men of Dale it was the right thing re respect that Bard stay with his people for that...so to ease things in the film, it may well be that Bard has given the Stone to either Bilbo or Thranduil, and either of them will lay the stone with Thorin.

I could see Bilbo doing so, and that could be quite moving IMO, no matter how the book presents things.

The TE sort of muddles things, IMO, in that I assumed the quick horn-blowing was a kind of stand-in for the funeral, which would imply to me that the funeral was actually happening while the horns were blowing in the TE. But given enough time in the film, the horns could simply have been blowing for all of the fallen as symbol of victory and end of the battle, and timewise the funeral actually happens later, so that Bard can be there.

Tho I can see Bard NOT being there, because from PJ's perspective POSSIBLY this funeral is already crammed with notable folks. Besides, the primary focus needs to be on Tauriel crying over Kili and glowing in rainbow colors w. sparkles. Having Bard and all these others there is just cluttering up the screen.AngelicEvil

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

(This post was edited by Avandel on Aug 10 2015, 9:28pm)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Aug 10 2015, 9:37pm

Post #7 of 11 (548 views)
Shortcut
teary Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides, the primary focus needs to be on Tauriel crying over Kili and glowing in rainbow colors w. sparkles.

Please...
Crazy

We could also have a closeup of Tauriel crying over Kili, and completely screening the place where Fili is lying..

Sorry but not sorry.
We don't need to mourn everybody, do we?

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 10 2015, 9:41pm

Post #8 of 11 (543 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We don't need to mourn everybody, do we?

Lets mourn Azog, Bolg and all the Orcs and not Thorin, Fili and Kili.

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 10 2015, 11:12pm

Post #9 of 11 (503 views)
Shortcut
*snort* [In reply to] Can't Post

Please...
Crazy

We could also have a closeup of Tauriel crying over Kili, and completely screening the place where Fili is lying..

(Oh, gawdsFrown. Although I admire Philippa Boyen's skill with words and certainly agree with her evident care and respect for Richard Armitage, writing some wondrous lines that were so magnificently delivered - er, at times, I fear both Ms. Boyens and PJ and Fran succumbed to the STRESS of making these films at times WinkWinkWink)

and I am terrified that that has already happened.FrownFrownFrown Because it would be MOVING and SAD and after all, Tauriel is the character they would like to do a "bridge film" with, or something like that. Just hope nothing terrible happens like Kili's stone being given back to him the same way - no, I can't even say itShocked, it's too CHEESY OMG.......Frown

But horribly, after the separation of the brothers anyway from each other, and Thorin, at the last, I hafta think anything goes, so maybe they couldn't even FIND Fili because it got dark and so it will only be Thorin and Kili - OK, I'll stop.EvilEvilEvil

After all, Fili WAS used throughout BOFA to kind of complete the Durin picture visually, even if the audience, by way of narrative, possibly barely understood the significance of Fili as Thorin's HEIR because we couldn't have, say,

60 seconds of Fili (with his GOLDEN hair shimmering in the firelight) saying "but Thorin - Kili would be DEAD if it were not for this elf, maybe we should...." and Thorin, (magnificent azure eyes more beautiful than any gem in Erebor blazing with an uncomfortable wrongness), silkily commenting that one good deed by some silly female elf could not make up for those that died after Erebor fell, and Thranduil turned his back...and Fili could go to the western guardroom and look at the fallen there..."

Couldn't have Fili even asking his brother how his leg was, or whether Kili understood there would be some ISSUES with this elf-friendship, or even "hey, bro, look how rich we are!Cool"

I really feel bad now.Cool

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 11 2015, 1:10am

Post #10 of 11 (464 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Bard becoming king isn't precisely necessary. At least i would like to see that the people of laketown get gold from Dain to rebuild their damn cities

Aside from naming him King, Bard's coronation really isn't necessary. To me it seems obvious he'll go on to oversee Dale. His role as leader and that he's been accepted into that role is pretty obvious well before the end of the film.

Moahunter
Rohan

Aug 11 2015, 6:12am

Post #11 of 11 (417 views)
Shortcut
I was in the crowd of Lake-towners......... [In reply to] Can't Post

and we were told that we were looking at the Lonely Mountain while the funerals were taking place

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.