Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The plot thickens. TheDigitalBits confirms that the Extended Cut is...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

zalmoxis
Bree

Aug 7 2015, 8:41am

Post #51 of 88 (1345 views)
Shortcut
PJ-Speech? [In reply to] Can't Post

Could the difference be due to the fact that "an exclusive introduction by director Peter Jackson" is "included" during the showing of the EE in the theaters?

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 7 2015, 8:47am

Post #52 of 88 (1337 views)
Shortcut
Doubt it [In reply to] Can't Post

It's highly unlikely to last more than a few minutes, and I don't see why TheDigitalBits would be including that.

If it does turn out to be 19-20 minutes, I do hope that Bill comes out and explains why his sources were so wildly off the mark.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 7 2015, 10:53am

Post #53 of 88 (1261 views)
Shortcut
Still... [In reply to] Can't Post

and FSK 12 is equivalent to an MPAA PG-13 which a lower rank than an MPAA R.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 7 2015, 11:09am

Post #54 of 88 (1244 views)
Shortcut
The FSK and the MPAA are both law [In reply to] Can't Post

The FSK may be law in Germany but in the U.S. the MPAA is law. As a matter of fact I never heard of the FSK until a few days ago. This is not to say the FSK is wrong and the MPAA is right (or vise versa)...because they are both right. These are two organizations with the same goal that rate films for two different countries with cultural difference and different laws in regards to media content. As time goes on ratings from other countries will come out and some of those ratings may differ from the FSK or MPAA ratings. Again this does not mean one rating is right and the other is wrong, because the film is rated to suit that particular country.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 7 2015, 11:10am

Post #55 of 88 (1245 views)
Shortcut
There's a first time for everything [In reply to] Can't Post

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2015, 2:07pm

Post #56 of 88 (1123 views)
Shortcut
No one is saying any ratings board is wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

There are different ratings for different countries, all true.
But the MPAA hasn't released a runtime, has it. The run time FSK posted should be the actual runtime. No, there is absolutely no way the movie got cut over 15 minutes of footage for the german release. Germany is not China. ;)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 7 2015, 3:01pm

Post #57 of 88 (1052 views)
Shortcut
Alternatives [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I doubt it's any different to the US version. Don't remember the last time a movie was cut for content reasons here. They used to do it for movies that were really violent, like the first Terminator, but they are much more lenient nowadays.

I admit, it seems unlikely. But, if it isn't this than either the FSK report is fake or the new reports we are getting are flat-out wrong.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 7 2015, 3:03pm)

bilbo1997
Bree

Aug 7 2015, 3:16pm

Post #58 of 88 (1019 views)
Shortcut
contact [In reply to] Can't Post

Have someone on this forum send Bill Hunt a message on his website about his inside sources? Perhaps he could give us some answers. WB is not gonna give us some info anytime soon i'm afraid Unsure

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2015, 3:31pm

Post #59 of 88 (990 views)
Shortcut
Actually, we should know for sure soon enough. [In reply to] Can't Post

With the cover art leaking, WB's official press release is sure to come out any day now.

Then we'll know for sure how much footage we're getting.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 7 2015, 3:32pm

Post #60 of 88 (989 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Have someone on this forum send Bill Hunt a message on his website about his inside sources? Perhaps he could give us some answers.

Well, Aragorn the Elfstone is our source on this. I'd say that the ball is in his corner.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 7 2015, 3:33pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 7 2015, 3:36pm

Post #61 of 88 (977 views)
Shortcut
I asked him about the German Classification Board listing on his Facebook page [In reply to] Can't Post

No response as of yet.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Vashetti
The Shire

Aug 7 2015, 4:03pm

Post #62 of 88 (919 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
With the cover art leaking, WB's official press release is sure to come out any day now.

Then we'll know for sure how much footage we're getting.

That's not likely to be until Monday now though, right? I don't think press releases usually go out on the weekend. Though I'd love to be proven wrong.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2015, 4:39pm

Post #63 of 88 (860 views)
Shortcut
That may be overstating my position a bit. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

I'm merely a long time visitor to TheDigitalBits.com who's reposted some information.

However, I have just sent an email along to Mr. Hunt in the hopes that he will clarify the discrepancy between his info and the FSK time.

P.S. I really hope I don't end up being reviled if this info turns out to be incorrect. Unimpressed Be gentle.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 7 2015, 4:46pm

Post #64 of 88 (832 views)
Shortcut
You are only the messenger. [In reply to] Can't Post

It isn't your fault if your information is faulty. I'm just wondering what the explanation is for the descrepency in the reported runtimes.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 7 2015, 4:49pm

Post #65 of 88 (827 views)
Shortcut
Maybe today. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That's not likely to be until Monday now though, right? I don't think press releases usually go out on the weekend.

Well it's not the weekend yet. On the other hand, I have seen press releases and entertainment stories break over weekends. So even if nothing drops today, we could still get something before Monday.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 7 2015, 6:15pm

Post #66 of 88 (738 views)
Shortcut
? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not personally heard about the outcome of Legolas' ride and
of course we have not witnessed it on film which would be in the EE,

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2015, 6:25pm

Post #67 of 88 (716 views)
Shortcut
Well, it's in the TE... [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas:] “Other will now look to the mountain - for its wealth, or its position.”
[Bard:] “What is it you know?”
[Legolas:] “Nothing for certain. It’s what I fear may come.”
[Legolas, looking concerned, looks off into the distance.]
Tauriel:] “You saw something out there.”
[Legolas:] “The orc I pursued out of Laketown - I know who he is. Bolg - a spawn of Azog the Defiler. A warg pack was waiting for him on the outskirts of Esgaroth. They fled into the north. These orcs were different from the others. They wore a mark I had not seen for a long time. The mark of Gundabad.”
[Tauriel stops in shock and turns to Legolas.]
[Tauriel:] “Gundabad?”
[Legolas:] “An orc-stronghold in the far north of the Misty Mountains
[Legolas:] “I ride north. Will you come with me?”
[Tauriel:] “To where?”
[Legolas:] “To Gundabad.”

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Vila
The Shire

Aug 7 2015, 6:35pm

Post #68 of 88 (708 views)
Shortcut
Bill Hunt confirms the 164 minute as running time of the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

Cill Hunt has edited the original article:

First, it’s going to be about 20 minutes longer than the theatrical cut (in the neighborhood of 164 minutes long). Jackson had said previously the extended matertial would be about 30 minutes, but I’ve managed to confirm the 164 minute runtime with sources directly involved, who tell me that the footage is “significant” and most of it has been added to the battle at the end.

Cheers!

AshNazg
Gondor

Aug 7 2015, 6:35pm

Post #69 of 88 (694 views)
Shortcut
How does Legolas know who Bolg and Azog are? [In reply to] Can't Post

And if he knows who Azog is, then why is he surprised that Bolg (who is a Gundabad orc) knew orcs from Gundabad? And what exactly is the mark of Gundabad? I don't think they even have a flag Crazy

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Aug 7 2015, 6:40pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 7 2015, 6:37pm

Post #70 of 88 (690 views)
Shortcut
Mmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Odd how you can mistake 164 for 180. Poor film on Bill's part to quietly edit that. What exactly did he hear then, if anything at all?

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2015, 6:39pm

Post #71 of 88 (677 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure what you mean. [In reply to] Can't Post

What in the films suggests that Bolg is a "Gundabad Orc"?

The implication is that the elves were unaware that Gundabad was an active stronghold for orcs.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Aug 7 2015, 6:39pm

Post #72 of 88 (675 views)
Shortcut
We need to see it or else it is a very choppy ending with him [In reply to] Can't Post

racing off. This scene is just too conveniently inserted into the film.
Why wouldn't they show Legolas pursuing Bolg and then he encounters the warg pack. He must have broken off the chase as he was too outnumbered. I doubt he could not have caught them.
Too many unanswered questions about the scene that have not been answered by his short description below.

Tauriel:] “You saw something out there.”
[Legolas:] “The orc I pursued out of Laketown - I know who he is. Bolg - a spawn of Azog the Defiler. A warg pack was waiting for him on the outskirts of Esgaroth. They fled into the north. These orcs were different from the others. They wore a mark I had not seen for a long time. The mark of Gundabad.”

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Aug 7 2015, 6:41pm

Post #73 of 88 (671 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Odd how you can mistake 164 for 180. Poor film on Bill's part to quietly edit that. What exactly did he hear then, if anything at all?

Because the original post was just speculation. The film board gives the exact time.

AshNazg
Gondor

Aug 7 2015, 6:42pm

Post #74 of 88 (672 views)
Shortcut
Balin says: "Azog, the giant Gundabad orc..." in AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

One would assume the giant Gundabad orc's son would also be a Gundabad orc. Unless he also knows all about Dol Guldur as well?

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Aug 7 2015, 6:43pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2015, 6:44pm

Post #75 of 88 (656 views)
Shortcut
What are the unanswered questions? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the dialogue fills in the ones you mention.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.