Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The plot thickens. TheDigitalBits confirms that the Extended Cut is...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 6 2015, 9:23pm

Post #1 of 88 (3299 views)
Shortcut
The plot thickens. TheDigitalBits confirms that the Extended Cut is... Can't Post

...36 minutes longer than the theatrical cut. Confirmed by inside sources.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/...wo-cents/080615_1345

First, while Warner Home Video hasn’t yet announced the Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D release of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies – Extended Edition yet (tentatively due on either 11/3, 11/10 or 11/17), we do know a few things about the release. First, it’s going to be about 36 minutes longer than the theatrical cut (in the neighborhood of 180 minutes long) – the most substantial of all The Hobbit: Extended Editions. That comes from Jackson himself, and I’ve managed to confirm it with sources directly involved, who tell me that the footage is “significant” and most of it has been added to the battle at the end. Second, it’s going to be screened in theaters in October, as part of a worldwide, week-long The Hobbit: Extended Edition screening event in theaters (you can see the AMC listing here, which includes the 3 hour run time, and The One Ring.net has more here). The Extended Edition of An Unexpected Journey will screen on 10/5, followed by the EE of The Desolation of Smaug on 10/7, and finally the EE or The Battle of the Five Armies on 10/13. Third, we now know that The Battle of the Five Armies – Extended Edition has received an R-rating from the MPAA (more here at Rope of Silicon). We expect an official Blu-ray release announcement from Warner any time now. Of course, we’ll post the details as soon as we have them.

If Bill Hunt says he's confirmed it and that the info comes from Jackson himself - you can take it for gospel. Interesting, as I would have thought the time from the German Certification Board would be 100% correct.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

adt100
Rohan

Aug 6 2015, 9:27pm

Post #2 of 88 (3023 views)
Shortcut
Well that is.... interesting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

So which source is more reliable? Could it be that for some reason credits were not included in the German classification? A classification board ratification would seem 'final', but is it from a reliable source or a fake? Curiouser and curiouser!

(This post was edited by adt100 on Aug 6 2015, 9:27pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 6 2015, 9:27pm

Post #3 of 88 (3018 views)
Shortcut
And now we all owe kilidoescartwheels an apology // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Aug 6 2015, 9:29pm

Post #4 of 88 (3011 views)
Shortcut
this length is more in line [In reply to] Can't Post

with the previous rumours.
Anyway, as someone has justly said, it's quality that matters.
Of course 36 minutes would be far better than 19, but I do hope it won't be only gore, and Alfrid related gore....
The Ravenhill part needs some major readjustment, too.
Fingers crossed.Wink

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 6 2015, 9:29pm

Post #5 of 88 (3002 views)
Shortcut
I don't think any of us will mind that. ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

tsmith675
Gondor

Aug 6 2015, 9:30pm

Post #6 of 88 (3007 views)
Shortcut
I'm believing this for now. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's much closer to what we've been hearing for the past 6 months than the 19 minutes.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 6 2015, 9:31pm

Post #7 of 88 (2996 views)
Shortcut
That is good, [In reply to] Can't Post

36 min is a lot more than 20 min.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 6 2015, 9:31pm

Post #8 of 88 (2997 views)
Shortcut
Weird speculation, but Alfrid's death... [In reply to] Can't Post

I get a weird feeling that Alfrid's death wasn't given an R rating because of violence but (and this is purely guessing from PJ's previous history) because it involves troll feces.

bilbo1997
Bree

Aug 6 2015, 9:36pm

Post #9 of 88 (2973 views)
Shortcut
Pray for the best but prepare for the worst [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope this source is correct. 36 minutes is almost the same as two towers, however i think the german one is correct.

Also i hope the EE (with 36 minutes Blush ) will be shown in the netherlands

adt100
Rohan

Aug 6 2015, 9:40pm

Post #10 of 88 (2969 views)
Shortcut
So what the previous link a fake? [In reply to] Can't Post

It was apparently from the official German film rating board. In which case the figure they gave should be accurate. This news of 36 mins is much more satisfying to hear, but still begs some important questions.

1. Is that the official ratings site for Germany? (https://www.spio-fsk.de)
2. Is the pdf uploaded their a fake? I don't understand how it would be (https://www.spio-fsk.de/asp/filestream.asp?dir=karte&file=1508%5C148566aV%2Epdf)
3. Does the German runtime include credits?
4. How would 'TheDigitalBits' site have got the runtime direct from PJ himself when no-one else seems to have it?

(This post was edited by adt100 on Aug 6 2015, 9:41pm)

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 6 2015, 9:41pm

Post #11 of 88 (2952 views)
Shortcut
FSK [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Yes.
2. No.
3. Credits are included.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

adt100
Rohan

Aug 6 2015, 9:45pm

Post #12 of 88 (2924 views)
Shortcut
19 mins could still be ok... [In reply to] Can't Post

For most people it's he final third that needs attention. The first 1/3 was pretty much as good as any of PJ's other films IMO. If they can spare another few mins for Dol Guldur and then 15 or so for the final battle and conclusions it could be ok.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 6 2015, 9:48pm

Post #13 of 88 (2901 views)
Shortcut
Noooooooooo [In reply to] Can't Post

Now you're getting my hopes up. STOP IT! If I could post a gif of Bilbo wagging his finger and saying "No! No no no!" I would.

Tongue

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 6 2015, 9:53pm

Post #14 of 88 (2886 views)
Shortcut
apology accepted [In reply to] Can't Post

now come on, brother, fill it up!Tongue

(This is of course assuming ANYONE knows what they're talking about - I sure don't !).

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 6 2015, 9:54pm

Post #15 of 88 (2872 views)
Shortcut
I feel the same, we don't know how reliable this is... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to stay pessimistic for now. 19 mins with a really terrible case sounds more realistic.

If it turns out it's 35 mins and the other cases are amazing and come with an incredible Weta statue then I will just have to fan-boy out when I see it for myself. Until then your rumours do not sway me.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Aug 6 2015, 9:55pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 6 2015, 9:56pm

Post #16 of 88 (2854 views)
Shortcut
Possible 3-hour cut [In reply to] Can't Post

This reinforces my thought that the extended cut for Germany actually has about ten minutes of footage deleted to meet German requirements. It will be interesting to see if further news bears this out.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Númenórean
The Shire

Aug 6 2015, 9:59pm

Post #17 of 88 (2841 views)
Shortcut
It means nothing... [In reply to] Can't Post

The websites that say 30 min. is only because Peter Jackson said this long time ago (the day after the premiere...).

The websites that say "ABOUT 36 min." is only because 144 min. (theatrical) + 36 min. = round 3 hours exactly (the two previous EE round the 3h also, but it means NOTHING).

The German Certification give EXACTLY the minutes and seconds of footage.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Aug 6 2015, 10:02pm

Post #18 of 88 (2826 views)
Shortcut
It says they have new info [In reply to] Can't Post

and that they have recently checked it. It does not look like a rehash of old news.
But of course it isn't an official website.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 6 2015, 10:03pm

Post #19 of 88 (2826 views)
Shortcut
Not the same thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Anybody familiar with TheDigitalBits.com and its owner Bill Hunt will tell you that he has industry contacts and is completely reliable. He has inside information about the runtime, as he states. It's not based off of some listing on another website.

- Viggo Mortensen

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 6 2015, 10:03pm

Post #20 of 88 (2813 views)
Shortcut
Time will tell... [In reply to] Can't Post

The report here does agree with the 3-hour runtime given by AMC. It might not be accurate, but there could be a good reason why the length given by the German Film Board is different.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 6 2015, 10:04pm

Post #21 of 88 (2810 views)
Shortcut
Still assuming 20 for now. [In reply to] Can't Post

For now I'm also going to assume it's just 20 minutes (I'm rounding up by a few seconds of course). The 36 minutes just seems strange. How likely would it be that the extra material just happens to add up to 3 hours? Which is the time that just screams "place holder" on those other sites. The German site's specific-ness makes it seem more likely.

Anyone know how reliable DigitalBits is? I'm not familiar with it.

EDIT: (I just saw Elfstone's other post)

You know what would help this whole situation? A nice press release. Maybe it could even include a clip.Wink

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Aug 6 2015, 10:08pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 6 2015, 10:07pm

Post #22 of 88 (2794 views)
Shortcut
Entirely reliable. [In reply to] Can't Post

If Bill Hunt says he's confirmed something, you can count on it.

I often forget that not everybody regularly visits TheDigitalBits.com (which has been around since '97). It always seems odd to me when people question the validity of info that comes from them.

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Aug 6 2015, 10:08pm)

Dcole4
Rohan

Aug 6 2015, 10:08pm

Post #23 of 88 (2785 views)
Shortcut
Skeptical... [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing would make me happier than for PJ / Yahoo to put the press release out on Monday with the news that it is in fact 36 minutes longer. We know that a huge amount of scenes, with substance and value, were shot and ultimately cut. It would be a shame if some/most of these scenes were not included.

-Extended Smaug Attack on Laketown (1-2 minutes)
-Beorn captured, tortured in Dol Guldur, rescued by Radagast (3-5 minutes)
-Three Rings in Dol Guldur (1-3 minutes)
-Thorin "Everything I did, I did for them" (likely before Fili /Kili return to Erebor) (1-2 minutes)
-Legolas / Tauriel scene on the shores of the Long Lake (1-2 minutes)
- Radagast gives Gandalf his staff, Beorn rumored to be part of this extended Rhosgobel sequence (1-2 minutes)
-Additional footage of Company counting gold, searching for Arkenstone (shown in Art Chronicles book) (1-2 minutes)
-Bofur talks to Bilbo before he leaves for Dale (2-3 minutes)
-Extended scene in which Gandalf informs Thorin of Thrain's final words (<1 min)
-Extended/Alternate Dain entrance w/ rams, ballistas, etc. (1-2 minutes)
-Alfrid's Death (<1 min)
-Bilbo plants acorn in Dale during darkest hour (1-2 minutes)
-Gandalf "How should this day end?!" (unknown scene) ???
-Chariot Sequence (3-4 minutes)
-Extended Ravenhill w/ more Dwalin, Beorn (1-3 minutes)
-Funeral Sequence (2-4 minutes)
-Dain Coronation (rumored place where Thranduil gets gems back) (1-2 minutes)
-Bofur, Gloin, Nori goodbye to Bilbo / digging out treasure from Trollshaws (1-2 minutes)

That said, I do think we should still rely on the German rating as fact. It's nearly as good as hard evidence. It's still hard to swallow that we're only getting 20 minutes.

(This post was edited by Dcole4 on Aug 6 2015, 10:09pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 6 2015, 10:11pm

Post #24 of 88 (2766 views)
Shortcut
bookmarked [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd never even heard of it before today. Now it's going to be one of my regularly checked sites.Cool

(unless this information turns out to be wrong, then I'll shout CURSE YOU DIGITALBITS! and shake my fist at the sky instead)

Númenórean
The Shire

Aug 6 2015, 10:13pm

Post #25 of 88 (2753 views)
Shortcut
I REALLY hope you are right [In reply to] Can't Post

but I doubt it... Unsure
We are speaking about a OFICIAL agency of rating.

Me too assume 20 for now.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.