The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So, about that chariot scene

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 6 2015, 12:39am

Post #1 of 14 (1391 views)
Shortcut
So, about that chariot scene Can't Post

So in another post it was reported that the BOT5A EE will only have an additional 19 minutes of footage. Personally I don't buy that, but time will tell. Anyway, one possibility is that PJ might redo some scenes that were in the TE, or even omit them altogether (here's hoping he cuts out some AlfridEvil). That made me think about the ice chariot scene from the first trailer. If it's included then I believe they will omit the Thorin & Nephews & Dwalin charging up Ravenhill on battle rams. The reason is because Dwalin, Fili & Kili are clearly in the ice chariot. I know I've mentioned this before, and some have pointed out a destroyed chariot on the battlefield. Well sure, but I don't think it's the same one, since Dwalin was driving the chariot up the frozen river, nowhere near the battlefield. And I always thought Thorin went up to Ravenhill alone, since he's standing there on the edge of the frozen waterfall by himself. He definitely wasn't in the chariot. So the only way this makes sense to me is, Thorin hops on a battle ram & goes off by himself, then Fili, Kili & Dwalin commandeer a chariot & go after him. Unfortunately, if I'm right then we'll lose that awesome battle roll Fili does when he jumps off his battle ram.Unsure But I guess we can't have it all, can we?Mad

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Aug 6 2015, 12:54am

Post #2 of 14 (1322 views)
Shortcut
Good Point [In reply to] Can't Post

That scene is very poorly edited. All of a sudden they're riding rams, it's so abrupt. This could fix it.

But isn't Balin on the chariot as well? Where does he go?

They better not get rid of the Fili roll, it's one of my favorite parts.

Justice for Fili

Pandallo
Rivendell

Aug 6 2015, 1:01am

Post #3 of 14 (1312 views)
Shortcut
Weta Chronicles Book [In reply to] Can't Post

The Weta Chronicles Book says that Thorin puts him in charge of the Dwarf armies once they reach Ravenhill. It's also mentioned that Balin is slightly wounded somewhere in the course of battle, but not enough to debilitate him...

Whether this will be in the movie or not, heaven only knows.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Aug 6 2015, 9:40am

Post #4 of 14 (1101 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure about that. [In reply to] Can't Post

How could they get up Ravenhill in a chariot?

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 6 2015, 9:57am

Post #5 of 14 (1079 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

After Thorin and Dain talked and Thorin jumps on the ram and is on its way to Ravenhill, Balin, Dwalin, Fili and Kili are on the chariot and getting attacked by wargs the chariot gets broken and Dwalin, Fili and Kili takes the remaining rams and follows Thorin.

Númenórean
The Shire

Aug 6 2015, 5:37pm

Post #6 of 14 (918 views)
Shortcut
Chariot destroyed [In reply to] Can't Post

[Image way too big]

(This post was edited by Altaira on Aug 7 2015, 2:11pm)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 6 2015, 5:40pm

Post #7 of 14 (905 views)
Shortcut
Is that before the dwarves join the battle?! [In reply to] Can't Post

How does that play out? Maybe there are more chariots? Crazy

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 6 2015, 7:13pm

Post #8 of 14 (840 views)
Shortcut
Yes, "a" chariot [In reply to] Can't Post

But there's no reason to think Dain only brought one, and since it was clearly destroyed BEFORE Thorin & the Company came out, it can't be the same chariot.

Númenórean
The Shire

Aug 6 2015, 7:30pm

Post #9 of 14 (819 views)
Shortcut
Off course [In reply to] Can't Post

Is only a curiosity Laugh

Maybe Dain bring more than one chariot with the dwarven ballistas and battle rams.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 6 2015, 9:18pm

Post #10 of 14 (748 views)
Shortcut
At least it explains the loose battle rams [In reply to] Can't Post

that just conveniently showed up in the TE.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 6 2015, 9:26pm

Post #11 of 14 (742 views)
Shortcut
The rams [In reply to] Can't Post

are in the beginning of the battle
http://screencapped.net/...36#top_display_media
http://screencapped.net/...59#top_display_media

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 7 2015, 2:14pm

Post #12 of 14 (640 views)
Shortcut
Could you please re-post your image? [In reply to] Can't Post

...in a smaller size, or link to where people can see the larger pic? Thanks!

From the TORn FAQ on the Welcome board:

2.20 How do I add a picture to a post? There are several ways to add a picture to your post. You may upload a picture stored on your PC as an attachment (See 2.21 below) or you may link to an image on your own website if you have one, or to a free image hosting service such as http://photobucket.com/. To link to a picture on your own website or to a free hosting service, Insert the image URL by cutting and pasting the URL your hosting site provides for you into your post, clicking on the picture icon on the Advanced Editor toolbar and pasting the URL into the box provided, or using image tags using the Basic Editor (See [Get Markup Help]). Please do not “hot-link” directly to a picture on another internet site. See the Terms of Service rules for “netiquette” for more information on hot-linking. If you absolutely *must* direct people to a picture on another site, please do it by inserting a link that will take people to the picture on the site. That way the site owner gets ‘hits’ for their site.

The specific guidelines for posting pictures within the message body of your post are as follows: the maximum size of any picture posted should be 525 wide x 400 pixels high (or a better measure is: 210,000 pixels squared - width x height), but no wider than 670 pixels. The maximum file size per picture should be 45k. The cumulative file size of all pictures in one post should not exceed 225k (5 pictures of the maximum filesize of 45k, 10 pictures of a filesize of 22.5k, etc.). These guidelnes apply to pictures hosted on other sites as well as to pictures posted as attachments to your post. For more detailed help on posting within a message body, check out Magpie's step-by-step TORn Image Posting Guide.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Númenórean
The Shire

Aug 7 2015, 5:24pm

Post #13 of 14 (589 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

http://i.imgur.com/AErB0Rw.jpg Laugh

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 7 2015, 6:06pm

Post #14 of 14 (566 views)
Shortcut
No worries. Thank you!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.