Bree

Aug 5 2015, 3:18am

Post #1 of 74 (4822 views)
Shortcut
BOTFA Extended Version to be rated R!!! Can't Post

http://www.filmratings.com/...bbit&x=0&y=0

http://filmratings.com/..._rating_bulletin.pdf

What??

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Aug 5 2015, 4:18am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 5 2015, 3:26am

Post #2 of 74 (4657 views)
Shortcut
Wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

If it weren't for some of PJ's comments about extra brutal orc killings, I would have automatically assumed this was a mistake. Still very surprising though if it turns out to be true... How bad could "some violence" really be compared to what's in the six movies already?Crazy

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Aug 5 2015, 3:27am)

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Aug 5 2015, 3:31am

Post #3 of 74 (4628 views)
Shortcut
Yep, Jackson has talked about it before [In reply to] Can't Post

And my guess is Beorn is going to be responsible for most of those particularly "brutal orc killings". There's also the possibility that the torture scene made it in, and maybe Alfrid's demise which I could also see contributing to a higher rating.

CathrineB
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 3:32am

Post #4 of 74 (4628 views)
Shortcut
Uh oh [In reply to] Can't Post

More grusome deaths for the Durins? Oh noooo :'(

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 5 2015, 3:35am

Post #5 of 74 (4613 views)
Shortcut
probably not [In reply to] Can't Post

At least I hope not...

I'd say this is more a result of Beorn related stuff and overly sensitive movie board people.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 5 2015, 3:36am

Post #6 of 74 (4613 views)
Shortcut
I'm very sorry to hear that. [In reply to] Can't Post

This movie didn't need more violence. It needed more character moments, which have been the best things about all the EEs, including LotR.

Bree

Aug 5 2015, 3:36am

Post #7 of 74 (4610 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

orc killings wouldn't be the problem due to them being fantasy characters. It has to be violence against humans.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 5 2015, 3:39am

Post #8 of 74 (4598 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

You might be right. I think the orcs' black blood is what kept LotR at PG-13. Because if that blood had been red, they probably would have had to cut some shots or make it R.

Maybe the torture scene with Beorn did make it in. Perhaps it's more gruesome than some of us expected...Crazy

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Aug 5 2015, 3:42am

Post #9 of 74 (4598 views)
Shortcut
Well, one doesn't necessarily exclude the other [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember we're getting at least 30 minutes of additional footage in this EE, and whatever violence is added will probably amount to a pretty small part of that half hour or so. There'll be plenty of time for character moments as well. Personally, I want both more character moments and more action, and I'm confident we're getting both so I'm happy.

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Aug 5 2015, 3:47am

Post #10 of 74 (4584 views)
Shortcut
Jackson gave them as a reason before, did he not? [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right that they can go further with the orc violence due to them not looking quite human, the black blood, etc. but there probably is a line even with orcs, and I think that line may very well be crossed many times over if/when Beorn gets involved in the battle. Remember Jackson's roots, he has a fondness for this stuff and I can easily see him really indulging in this when he gets to play around with a giant bear going berserk on a battlefield. Wink

But I could certainly see there being some (by this series' standards) nasty violence involving human characters as well, and that's why I mentioned the torture scene, and/or Alfrid's death by being catapulted into the mouth of a troll. Either or both of those could probably contribute to that R rating, depending on how graphic they are.

(This post was edited by MechaGodzilla on Aug 5 2015, 3:47am)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 5 2015, 4:14am

Post #11 of 74 (4523 views)
Shortcut
I completely agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel the Hobbit movies have lacked so many of those character moments that elevated LOTR Frown

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 4:24am

Post #12 of 74 (4500 views)
Shortcut
I want say which... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I heard one of Durin's deaths was cut back in the TE and was actually more gruesome.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 4:27am

Post #13 of 74 (4497 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

Nasty violent scenes involving humans and Beorn's torture scene probably play a big role in the rating, but based on the description of Alfrids death I don't see it pushing up the rating.

Bishop
Gondor

Aug 5 2015, 4:33am

Post #14 of 74 (4489 views)
Shortcut
This had best be a mistake or some unusual, unforseen obstacle that will be fixed [In reply to] Can't Post

I find the idea of a mainstream/blockbuster adaptation of The Hobbit being rated R to be both absurd and disturbing. If this turns out to be correct I won't even really know what to say.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 4:55am

Post #15 of 74 (4444 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't take a lot... [In reply to] Can't Post

to push a movie up or down a rating. DOS was actually almost rated R as well and not for violence per say, but for a wiggling foot. In re to the scene where Thranduil beheads the Orc he and Legolas were interrogating the Orc's foot continues to twitch after its dead. PJ says in the commentaries that the movie was almost given an R rating because of that one scene. Which is crazy because there is no blood, it was a non-human fantasy character, while it was onscreen in was the background, and the moment last for less than a minute.

Just because BOFA EE is rated R doesn't necessarily mean there is going to have an extensive amount of violence...at the same time doesn't mean it won't. All it needs is that one scene for the MPAA to stamp an R on it.

In re to wiggling foot, PJ said he really wanted to keep the scene in the film and felt the MPAA was going a little overboard (I agree). So he fought it, and was able to keep the scene and the PG-13 rating. Though that is probably not the case with the BOFA EE. Some things are easier to talk down than others.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 5 2015, 5:01am

Post #16 of 74 (4431 views)
Shortcut
originally [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the original plan was for Fili to be beheaded, but I don't think they ever followed through with that idea. Thankfully...

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Aug 5 2015, 5:16am

Post #17 of 74 (4396 views)
Shortcut
Best news so far [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 5:19am

Post #18 of 74 (4380 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think in a way this could be good...if for no other reason PJ and co are not limited to what they can put in. Cool

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Aug 5 2015, 5:25am

Post #19 of 74 (4358 views)
Shortcut
Yes, this could be good indeed.I really want this battle [In reply to] Can't Post

to significantly differentiate from the Battle of Pelennor Fields which was pretty bad and fake-looking in my opinion. Some violent bits could be a crucial factor to achieve it, although my main problem with the battle was the lack of a tight editing.Smile

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Aug 5 2015, 5:29am)

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 5:30am

Post #20 of 74 (4338 views)
Shortcut
Poll [In reply to] Can't Post

I started a poll to see what people think of the rating. http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

Legolas_Shoehorn
Bree

Aug 5 2015, 6:11am

Post #21 of 74 (4282 views)
Shortcut
Pfff [In reply to] Can't Post

"I really want this battle to significantly differentiate from from the Battle of Pelennor Fields which was pretty bad and fake-looking in my opinion."

Are you serious?!

My English is not that good, my Elvish is better ;-)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Aug 5 2015, 6:18am

Post #22 of 74 (4256 views)
Shortcut
I am always serious [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2015, 6:25am

Post #23 of 74 (4246 views)
Shortcut
He is, but we can pretend like he's not... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 6:42am

Post #24 of 74 (4216 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if they'll show Smaug actually eating people. [In reply to] Can't Post

- He did seem to be the type who likes playing with his food.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 5 2015, 7:41am

Post #25 of 74 (4133 views)
Shortcut
The funeral scene would be macabre if he were beheaded [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm almost afraid to hope for anything good out of the EE Unimpressed

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.