The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Where the streets have no names...

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 31 2015, 9:54pm

Post #1 of 14 (1101 views)
Shortcut
Where the streets have no names... Can't Post

An interesting article about the Red Zone, and some of the stayers in the wasteland. Scroll down and have a look at the photos.
Yesterday I drove down Avondale Road, right through the heart of the Red Zone. 7000 homes gone. A bizarre, once inhabited wasteland with the ghostly remains of streets and gardens on one side, inhabited houses on the other side, as the road divides Green Zone from Red Zone. No matter how many times I see it, I still can't believe it.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jul 31 2015, 10:02pm

Post #2 of 14 (1069 views)
Shortcut
That is really - [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know, otherworldly somehow. I think I would want to have people a bit nearer than that, to feel more secure; the stayers must be very scattered. What a sad situation.

squire
Half-elven

Aug 1 2015, 12:41am

Post #3 of 14 (1060 views)
Shortcut
Ah, New Zealand [In reply to] Can't Post

Before clicking on the link, I wasn't sure if the article was about Detroit, Baghdad, Chernobyl, or a suburb of Buffalo.

It's an odd story, and I can see what you mean about the incongruity of a hard line between officially inhabitable and officially uninhabitable land. From this distance (the U.S.) I have to admit it equally shocks me to see the government referred to as "The Crown".

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 1 2015, 2:20am

Post #4 of 14 (1049 views)
Shortcut
'The Crown' [In reply to] Can't Post

must sound quite strange. I am so used to it I never give it a second thought.

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 1 2015, 2:23am

Post #5 of 14 (1045 views)
Shortcut
I think it is getting to the stage [In reply to] Can't Post

where the majority of the stayers are people who don't quite fit into the mainstream of society.
There have been quite a few cases, though, of people who are stuck in abandoned streets and suburbs while the insurance process grinds on and on. Not nice for them.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Aug 1 2015, 7:25pm

Post #6 of 14 (1011 views)
Shortcut
Not even the British would call it the Crown [In reply to] Can't Post

and for a person who has lived all her life in a republic... it is really ...strange...Wink

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 1 2015, 7:54pm

Post #7 of 14 (1009 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

as NZ is part of a constitutional monarchy, all of the Government's powers devolve from the sovereign. The members of Parliament that form the Government are officially known as members or representatives of the Crown (I forget which).

I wouldn't be surprised if the terms the Crown (meaning the Government) and the Government have subtle differences in meaning but they tend to be used interchangeably.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

glor
Rohan

Aug 1 2015, 10:51pm

Post #8 of 14 (993 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

The British would call it Crown, it's a legal term for a certain type of state ownership which is exempt from certain planning and ownership laws.

I believe compulsory purchase of land due to coastal erosion where homes have become dangerous has been done under the umbrella of Crown Land.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2015, 12:22pm

Post #9 of 14 (963 views)
Shortcut
It looks like Love Canal [In reply to] Can't Post

A neighborhood near Niagara Falls that was close down due to a public health scandal from toxic waste buried by chemical plants in the area. They told developers about the buried waste when the lass was sold but they went ahead and built a school and homes anyway. Cancer rates skyrocketed in the area and by the mid-70s newspapers and lawsuits unearthed the cause. Homes were boarded up and folks moved and the neighborhood became a ghost town except for a few that would t move. You can see it from the expressway still. It's been 40 years.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Donry
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2015, 9:35pm

Post #10 of 14 (913 views)
Shortcut
In Canada... [In reply to] Can't Post

we still refer to the 'Crown' in a few ways....for example, any space in this country that is designated as government land is called 'Crown' land......

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2015, 2:01am

Post #11 of 14 (905 views)
Shortcut
That's what I thought [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a legal term more than a term that refers to a situation where the Queen owns something. When the government is represented in a court of law, is it referred to as "the Crown"?

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 5 2015, 3:37am

Post #12 of 14 (898 views)
Shortcut
I'm not certain [In reply to] Can't Post

if the Government is referred to as The Crown in the judicial process.

There is the Crown Law Office, which is basically a legal service for the Government; and there are Queen's Counsels (or King's Counsels, when we have a King) which I believe are bestowed on lawyers who are considered exceptional by their peers.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 5 2015, 3:38am

Post #13 of 14 (893 views)
Shortcut
Same here. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 5 2015, 6:28am

Post #14 of 14 (889 views)
Shortcut
I can think of a few Members of Parliament, [In reply to] Can't Post

puffed up with self importance and with their fingers in all the Christchurch pies, who probably feel a sense of entitlement to a crown of their own.
*climbs off soapbox*
Angelic

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.