Don't really care
View Results (105 votes)

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 5:26am

Post #1 of 17 (3930 views)
Shortcut
BOTFA EE rated R Can't Post

According to filmratings.com BOTFA EE is rated R for some violence. How do you feel about this? Do you think an R rating is a good move, bad move, don't really care?

http://www.filmratings.com/...bbit&x=0&y=0

(This post was edited by lionoferebor on Aug 5 2015, 5:28am)

Gianna
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 12:43pm

Post #2 of 17 (3744 views)
Shortcut
Oh my. [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't seem like a good move to me... Also it seems a little silly looking at the filmratings.com page, because the theatrical is "rated PG-13 for extended sequences of intense fantasy action violence, and frightening images" whilst the EE is "rated R for SOME violence"!

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 12:46pm

Post #3 of 17 (3741 views)
Shortcut
Um. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still going to get it, but it makes me a little more nervous thinking about it.

I will probably be a more anxious viewer when it comes! Evil

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 5 2015, 2:00pm

Post #4 of 17 (3719 views)
Shortcut
Wish you had a "not sure" option [In reply to] Can't Post

That's my vote - this is likely much ado about nothing. I've seen so many movies that were rated "R" that made me think "What? Why?" And also some PG-13 movies that IMO SHOULD have been rated "R", those ratings are so subjective that I think they're pretty worthless.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 3:50pm

Post #5 of 17 (3689 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

didn't think of including an option for "I'm not sure". Just consider the "Don't really care" as the "I'm not sure"Wink

Meneldor
Valinor

Aug 5 2015, 4:00pm

Post #6 of 17 (3681 views)
Shortcut
Too soon to say. [In reply to] Can't Post

My initial reaction was "That's crazy!" After reading some of the suggestions as to why it's bumped up to R, I'm thinking, "Well, maybe, if PJ doesn't go nuts with the gore."

KingTurgon
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 8:37pm

Post #7 of 17 (3641 views)
Shortcut
Need to see it first [In reply to] Can't Post

before I decide

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 5 2015, 9:04pm

Post #8 of 17 (3640 views)
Shortcut
How is this a surprise? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure why anyone is acting surprised about this. Jackson said himself that his original cut would have been rated 'R' and he had to re-edit it to get a PG-13 for the theatrical cut.

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 5 2015, 10:31pm

Post #9 of 17 (3619 views)
Shortcut
Not really concerned one way or the other. [In reply to] Can't Post

From a sales perspective, its not like the wide market cares about an EE release anyway. In truth, I rarely know what a rating is now that my son is older. If its a film we have interest in, we see it. If not, then no.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Aug 5 2015, 10:33pm)

Patty
Immortal

Aug 6 2015, 5:58pm

Post #10 of 17 (3539 views)
Shortcut
A bad move, along with other Hobbit bad moves... [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably I'm saying this as one who has suffered from Hobbit battle fatigue.

All of this series has been PG 13, making it just interesting enough for real adults as well as not to over the top for kids. Why change now?

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 6 2015, 6:10pm

Post #11 of 17 (3533 views)
Shortcut
Beorn (probably) [In reply to] Can't Post

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Aug 8 2015, 3:03pm

Post #12 of 17 (3445 views)
Shortcut
It depends... [In reply to] Can't Post

(so, your don't care option). If it is a matter of extra seconds and therefore extra gore added back into TE battle sequences that were cut back for the PG-13 rating, this is probably a good decision. Brand new scenes of extra gore, probably a bad decision unless they also happen to further character development or flesh out the storyline, as the movie had enough action, I felt.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Aug 10 2015, 3:51pm

Post #13 of 17 (3391 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

That's my vote - this is likely much ado about nothing. I've seen so many movies that were rated "R" that made me think "What? Why?" And also some PG-13 movies that IMO SHOULD have been rated "R", those ratings are so subjective that I think they're pretty worthless.

Yes! This! I agree completely!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 10 2015, 3:56pm

Post #14 of 17 (3392 views)
Shortcut
Good Move: I prefer the R-Rated Deadpool trailer... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not because there's more swearing and violence but because it feels more like what the director intended to show. So I think it's a good move for The Hobbit, if it has the same effect.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Aug 11 2015, 2:57am

Post #15 of 17 (3355 views)
Shortcut
Bad move [In reply to] Can't Post

Why on earth does a film based on a children's book need to be rated R?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 11 2015, 1:46pm

Post #16 of 17 (3334 views)
Shortcut
Reasons! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Why on earth does a film based on a children's book need to be rated R?

When the story is expanded (with greater violence) to tie more directly into the more adult-orientated sequel (which, ironically, was adapted entirely as films rated PG-13).

Dwarewien
Rohan

Aug 11 2015, 10:24pm

Post #17 of 17 (3301 views)
Shortcut
Don't really care... [In reply to] Can't Post

as long as the "R" rating doesn't include more gruesome deaths for the Durins, I'm good (since what happened to them in the theater version was bad enough). Since I'm in my early forties, it's not like I can't handle this kind of stuff (frankly some of my Thorin fantasies should have the same rating, since they're not something I would want to share with the kiddies, or anyone for that matter, and there's no violence in them whatsoever). I'm also quite the Stephen King fan, so I don't mind a little more violence (after all, the book that Under the Dome is based on is much more intense than what you'll ever see in the series, and I have no problem with either version), and the Jurassic Park films can be a little violent too, especially after the hybrid in Jurassic World breaks out of her paddock and begins eating everything in sight.Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.