Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Help with an Elvish translation

WadCheber

Aug 5 2015, 3:48am

Post #1 of 3 (674 views)
Shortcut
Help with an Elvish translation Can't Post

Hi all, I'm a new user and this is my first post here. I'm a member of the Stack Exchange Science Fiction and Fantasy site, and someone recently came to us with a sad story.

The OP's cousin recently died in a tragic accident, and her family found a tattoo on her arm featuring an Elvish inscription. The family of the deceased are understandably curious as to what it says. We've been able to provide a tentative translation, but it would be nice if we had some confirmation.

Here's a link to the question: http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/96984/elvish-tattoo-can-it-be-translated-into-english

And the question includes the only photo of the tattoo that the OP was able to provide. Our best guess is that the visible portion of the tattoo reads "the world is ahead", and our speculation is that the whole thing reads "Home is behind you, the world is ahead", which makes sense, since it appears in The Lord of the Rings.

Are we on the right track? Is there any way to determine what the hidden portion of the tattoo says?

(This post was edited by WadCheber on Aug 5 2015, 3:54am)
Attachments: image.jpg (25.3 KB)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 5 2015, 3:58am

Post #2 of 3 (657 views)
Shortcut
That is very sad, but heartwarming that you're trying to help. [In reply to] Can't Post

We do have people here who good with Elvish words. I'm sure you'll get some helpful answers that you can pass on to the family.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

SamBerry
The Shire

Aug 5 2015, 3:10pm

Post #3 of 3 (639 views)
Shortcut
That seems right [In reply to] Can't Post

It's impossible to know what the whole thing says without the rest of the tattoo, but the shown portion does say " , the world is ahead".

In the books, it is phrased as "Home is behind, the world ahead". However, in the first Hobbit movie, Gandalf says "Home is now behind you, the world is ahead". It is hard to tell, but I don't think the word on the far left ends with the character for "d" (as in behind), so the movie quote is my best guess for the full tattoo, and means that it is from the past few years.

(This post was edited by SamBerry on Aug 5 2015, 3:13pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.