BOTFA Extended Version to be rated R!!!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 5 2015, 5:35pm

Post #51 of 74 (4687 views)
Shortcut
To those concerned [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't panic. You surely wanted more Beorn on the rampage - what did you expect, him handing out flowers? I strongly suspect this will be the extent of the R-rating, and will it last that long? Probably not. If this EE is low on character moments, it won't be because of the R-rating of that you can be sure.

adt100
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 5:53pm

Post #52 of 74 (4665 views)
Shortcut
Really? What's the point of an 'R' then? [In reply to] Can't Post

If minors can still go in accompanied by an adult than that doesn't make it that 'restrictive' does it!? The ratings have changed a few times over here in the past 20 years, I think we have a '12A these days with most of the EE's are rated I believe. In other words, it's recommend for 12 year olds and over but those under 12 can go in with an adult. Then you have 15 and 18 at the top end.

(This post was edited by adt100 on Aug 5 2015, 5:53pm)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 5 2015, 8:16pm

Post #53 of 74 (4581 views)
Shortcut
Ratings can be a bit weird. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen some movies that I was astonished were R-rated, as well as some PG-13 films that I think really ought to have been. I think that's partly because the ratings depend not only on what is depicted, but on the number of repetitions of a thing. That's how The King's Speech got an R: One scene, in which he repeats certain common swear words multiple times as part of his speech therapy. It got the rating because it exceeded the number of instances acceptable for the PG13. If that scene weren't in it at all, the film would have been rated G. Is that really worse than, for instance, watching people be mauled or eaten by dinosaurs, or mowed down by gunfire? Not in my book, but that's how the ratings work.

So just the fact that this has been rated R isn't enough information without knowing why. Is it gratuitous new violence, or is it just that now we have 3 or 4 instances of something and before we only had 2? I was already surprised at the number of obvious beheadings they managed to get in under the PG13. Honestly, I'm not expecting anything vastly more disturbing than we've already seen. I have a feeling the film as released was already just edging in under the PG13 and it wouldn't take much to push it over. One extra scene of a kind that they are already at the limit for could do it.

Also, keep in mind that direct-to-disc extended editions of any movie are Unrated, because ratings are only required for theatrical showings. The LOTR EEs were not rated on release. It was only when they were going to show them in the theaters for Trilogy Tuesday that they were given a rating. The BOTFA EE wouldn't have a rating either if they weren't doing a special release - and in that case, we would never have known and we wouldn't be having this discussion and worrying in advance. We'd just be doing our usual of hashing over and critiquing each new scene individually on its own merits or demerits once we saw it.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 8:34pm

Post #54 of 74 (4544 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure the character moments will be there [In reply to] Can't Post

Who knows, one scene may have been enough to push the EE over the R border

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 5 2015, 8:57pm

Post #55 of 74 (4512 views)
Shortcut
Parental responsibility [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If minors can still go in accompanied by an adult than that doesn't make it that 'restrictive' does it!?

The R-rating places the onus on the parents or guardians. They have to decide if the film is appropriate for their children. It's good for the studios and theater-owners because it is less restrictive than either the NC-17 or X-rating.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

adt100
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 9:00pm

Post #56 of 74 (4510 views)
Shortcut
Very good points... [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt very much this means PJ has suddenly opened the floodgates and put loads of new 'blood and guts' gory scenes everywhere.

Not sure I understand your point on direct to disc being unrated however. In the UK they are certainly rated just as any movie is. From memory, most of the TC's of all 6 films where either PG or 12. The EE's have all been 12, with the one exception of DOS EE which surprisingly received a 15 rating. I think this was mainly due to the language and such of the Master rather than anything to do with excessive violence and gore however.

adt100
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 9:02pm

Post #57 of 74 (4499 views)
Shortcut
So really it's inbetween a 12A and 15 by UK standards? [In reply to] Can't Post

In which case, I don't see a problem at all. DOS EE was rated at 15 in the UK (the only Middle Earth film to receive that rating).

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 5 2015, 9:10pm

Post #58 of 74 (4488 views)
Shortcut
Yes, probably. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In which case, I don't see a problem at all. DOS EE was rated at 15 in the UK (the only Middle Earth film to receive that rating).

Different countries have their own standards; naturally, they don't always match up completely. What I can't figure out is why anyone is surprised by the rating. Jackson was very upfront about the fact that his first cut for TH:BotFA would have been rated 'R' and he had to tone it down to receive PG-13.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

TheHutt
Gondor

Aug 5 2015, 9:14pm

Post #59 of 74 (4483 views)
Shortcut
German rating for SEE... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is the same as the theatrical version: FSK 12.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Bofur01
Lorien

Aug 5 2015, 9:42pm

Post #60 of 74 (4451 views)
Shortcut
I thought that was only due to the appendices... [In reply to] Can't Post

..with the "bollocks" scene...

Dwarewien
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 10:11pm

Post #61 of 74 (4433 views)
Shortcut
I disagree... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Now I haven't seen Jurassic World - though I have seen Jurassic Park - but based on this parent preview IMO it probably should've been rated R. http://parentpreviews.com/...-info/jurassic-world

since the blood spatters and the like aren't any worse than any of the other movies, even the original. I should know, I've seen Jurassic World seven times (though it will be eight on Sunday, since it will be moving to our cheapest theater, which means its theatrical run is almost over in my neck of the woods), and I didn't find it all that gory. Sure there's blood, since the Indominus Rex eats everything that moves once she breaks out of her paddock, but that's to be expected from a Jurassic Park film.

I don't mind the R rating for the Extended Edition of BoFA, as long as it doesn't include any beheadings of any of the Durins (or else I'm never watching the Extended Edition of BoFA ever again, since that's not something that I want to see, whether the one that gets beheaded is my favorite or not. Save that for the Orcs and other villainous type characters). Other than being a Jurassic Park fan, I'm also a Stephen King fan, so you should see some of the blood and gore in some of those movies, so if those don't bother me, why would BoFA (other than anything bad happening to my favorite character, but that's besides the point)? Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 10:22pm

Post #62 of 74 (4427 views)
Shortcut
It makes me uncomfortable [In reply to] Can't Post

That it is going to be rated R. None of the other Tolkien movies have been rated R, and there is some intense violence in the other movies,(such as 'meats back on the menu.' My mom doesn't think anything can get worse than that.)
I'm just hoping the violence is only with orcs and not with any beloved characters.Evil

adt100
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 10:55pm

Post #63 of 74 (4393 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't worry... [In reply to] Can't Post

DOS EE was rated 15 in the UK primarily due to the extended scenes with the Master.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 5 2015, 11:03pm

Post #64 of 74 (4385 views)
Shortcut
So what is is rated R for? Radagast? Really long? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 5 2015, 11:17pm

Post #65 of 74 (4376 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

This movie didn't need more violence. It needed more character moments, which have been the best things about all the EEs, including LotR.

Although I could go for more Thranduil fighting in Dale, because of the sheer beauty, ditto for the Durins, and Beorn of course. Not more muddled aerial shots or rabble-fighting-orc shots tho it might be amusing to see Hilda using her spear - IMO one of the best woman in ME.Heart

Anyway, in the U.S., so last night I am watching bare bottoms on my TV screen, w. some pixelating of certain areas - e.g., this to me all sounds absurd in that a film is getting fretted over because of some most likely bloodless CGI heads are flying around, but there's stuff on TV that isn't rated at all, not too mention some comments in commercials I don't consider to be family-friendly either.Unimpressed

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

glor
Rohan

Aug 6 2015, 12:10am

Post #66 of 74 (4346 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

The R rating is probably because Beorn in full skin changing bear form tearing through the orcs in battle is probably unsuitable for children, according to those with the power to decide such things.

To those that issue film certifications a giant bear monster ripping through the enemy in battle would be considered too scary for a PG-13, if that scene from a fans point of view is to be given justice.

I don't think it will be overly gory, just too scary and frightening for a 'general audience'

No mascara can survive BOTFA

(This post was edited by glor on Aug 6 2015, 12:11am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 6 2015, 3:18am

Post #67 of 74 (4299 views)
Shortcut
Dain [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe they'll got back and give Dain the axe his was meant to have instead of that hammer.Wink

Lindele
Gondor

Aug 6 2015, 4:01am

Post #68 of 74 (4288 views)
Shortcut
I'm predicting [In reply to] Can't Post

That the scene of the axe being removed from Bifur's head will earn an R rating

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 6 2015, 5:21am

Post #69 of 74 (4261 views)
Shortcut
I'm specifically talking about US ratings. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the main topic was on the fact that it's gotten an R in the US rating system. And here, films are only rated if they're submitted to the ratings board, which only has to be done prior to theatrical release. They can submit direct-to-disc films for rating, but generally they don't unless they really want a certain rating stamped on it (G to prove it's suitable for kids, for example). My LOTR EE DVDs do not have a rating on them, because they were sold prior to the special theatrical release. If you buy a new set of the LOTR EEs now they probably do, since all of the films have since been rated.

I'm not familiar with the criteria used for ratings in the UK, so I'm not qualified to speculate on that side of things.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Aug 6 2015, 6:27am

Post #70 of 74 (4241 views)
Shortcut
That's Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought the LOTR EE's as they were initially released, and they all have the PG-13 on the box.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 6 2015, 8:21am

Post #71 of 74 (4211 views)
Shortcut
Hmm. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have just taken a closer look, and interestingly enough, the PG-13 is on the underside of the box but not on the discs themselves or the other usual places in the packaging I glanced at earlier. So clearly my memory (and my eyesight) was faulty on that one. Blush

However, I have seen some directors cuts left unrated (and sometimes advertised as such).

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Aug 6 2015, 8:22am)

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Aug 6 2015, 10:43am

Post #72 of 74 (4177 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Knowing Peter Lucas he'll probably have an Alfrid sex scene Mad

(This post was edited by Avnar on Aug 6 2015, 10:44am)

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 6 2015, 10:49am

Post #73 of 74 (4172 views)
Shortcut
You know [In reply to] Can't Post

When you try and be funny about these things it's usually a good idea to check the classification and see that it's 'Rated R for some violence'

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Aug 8 2015, 12:10am

Post #74 of 74 (3954 views)
Shortcut
Any idea what the UK rating will be? // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.