The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BOFA EE in theaters...but why?

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 4 2015, 4:24pm

Post #1 of 25 (2343 views)
Shortcut
BOFA EE in theaters...but why? Can't Post

The news is out BOFTA EE is set to show in theaters Oct 13. I do not see a need to ask how we all feel about this because I think the majority, including myself, would say we're giddy with joy. However has anyone heard why they decided to show the EE in theaters? I know we the fans have been screaming for an EE and WB, PJ and co. could've given it to us with the release of the Blu-ray/DVD and I think most would have been satisfied with that, yet they've decided to take it a step further and put it on the big sreen. So why? And I'm complaining or anything because again I'm thrilled, I'm just curious as to why.

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 4 2015, 4:50pm

Post #2 of 25 (2218 views)
Shortcut
Money? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to say, but there is really only one answer to that!

Bree

Aug 4 2015, 4:53pm

Post #3 of 25 (2209 views)
Shortcut
probably [In reply to] Can't Post

probably because this is potentially the last EE of the potentially last Middle Earth movie so they are trying to make it more of an event

DainPig
Gondor

Aug 4 2015, 4:55pm

Post #4 of 25 (2206 views)
Shortcut
OOOO Yeaaaaaah Moooooney [In reply to] Can't Post

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 4 2015, 4:57pm

Post #5 of 25 (2200 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he heard the fans? [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's face it, of the 3 movies this one has the most problems. How many of us were totally p!$$ed that the funeral scene was cut? How many of us complain that the dwarves (especially Fili) were short-changed? I've heard rumors that Peter Jackson saw the TE for the 1st time in London, and wasn't happy with it. Yes, I'm one of those suckers that will watch the EE in theaters a few weeks before the Blue-ray comes out, can't hardly wait, this is GREAT news *sqeee*Cool

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 4 2015, 6:34pm

Post #6 of 25 (2042 views)
Shortcut
Mixed feelings myself [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I remember the sheer fun of the DOS fan event - not like I could be in New York, but I think fairly that the folks who were in New York - and made the effort - got an extra goodie of footage, and meanwhile everyone else round the world got to share in a sneak peek and see the interviews all around the world - I felt like I was part of something special.Heart

So, yah know, as Ilmatar has pointed out, not everyone round the world may be able to get to a theater - I dunno. Nothing is ever going to be perfect, but I already think the situation where downloads have such a huge gap in release dates - it's not just a few days, either.Mad

With the theme of "one last time" think these theater viewings are a great way to share the awesomeness on a big screen, one last time, but I'd like to think this was a global opportunity of sorts - lots of hype and all that - like the DOS fan event. For the fans who all (mostly) get an opportunity to share, if they like. But it's early yet - I suppose someone at WB may be tracking the buzz about a theater viewing - or not. There may be marathons added by some theaters - perhaps???UnsureTongueCool

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 4 2015, 6:39pm

Post #7 of 25 (2027 views)
Shortcut
Foolish or bold [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've heard rumors that Peter Jackson saw the TE for the 1st time in London, and wasn't happy with it.

I've heard this too and - if it is true - I'm not sure if it was a foolish or bold move on PJ's part. Probably a little of both.

In Reply To
Let's face it, of the 3 movies this one has the most problems. How many of us were totally p!$$ed that the funeral scene was cut? How many of us complain that the dwarves (especially Fili) were short-changed? Yes, I'm one of those suckers that will watch the EE in theaters a few weeks before the Blue-ray comes out, can't hardly wait, this is GREAT news *sqeee*Cool

Hopefully PJ and co. have heard our cries and will give us what the majority of us are hoping for. What a disappointment it would be if they did not...but in the words of Arwen "There is still hope."

Don't worry...I'm one of those suckers too who will probably pay the money to see the EE in theaters.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 4 2015, 7:23pm

Post #8 of 25 (1957 views)
Shortcut
first time viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think PJ seeing the movie for the first time at the premiere is anything new. It happened at least one other time, which was with RotK. So this just might be a case of it not working out this one time. And of course there's the possibilities of studio pressure.

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Aug 4 2015, 7:50pm

Post #9 of 25 (1912 views)
Shortcut
Studio pressure [In reply to] Can't Post

And of course there's the possibilities of studio pressure.

You know, the more I've thought about it, I think PJ can only blame himself if he wasn't satisfied with BOTFA. Warner Brothers has not been the best ally to the fans and I wasn't happy with some of the stuff they pulled, but studio pressure...I think it might only be in regards to the run time.

It was PJ's final decision to insert Tauriel and Legolas everywhere. All of the unnecessary Alfrid was his decision. Legolas flying on a bat, the ridiculous Bolg showdown, treating Fili like garbage - the studio didn't make all that happen. And if the pressure was not being able to finish the movie he desired by the release date, well here's hoping the EE can fix some of those editing issues.

If the premiere of the BOTFA EE will be in theaters, I hope I'll be able to go. I'm not expecting a masterpiece, but maybe some of the choppy editing will be fixed. It's not as if the entire movie can be altered. What's done is done. We can only wish for some nice scraps thrown at us for a more cohesive ending to the trilogy.

Justice for Fili

KateTheHobbit
Bree

Aug 4 2015, 9:04pm

Post #10 of 25 (1830 views)
Shortcut
Bugged By The Date [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm overjoyed to be getting this opportunity, but I'm bothered by the fact that October 13th is a Tuesday. That seems like an odd date for an event like this (unless there will be continued showings after?) As much as I want to go see it, and will do everything I can to do so, I'm not sure I can get out on a Tuesday night to see a movie.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 4 2015, 10:27pm

Post #11 of 25 (1754 views)
Shortcut
I am too... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm overjoyed to be getting this opportunity, but I'm bothered by the fact that October 13th is a Tuesday. That seems like an odd date for an event like this (unless there will be continued showings after?) As much as I want to go see it, and will do everything I can to do so, I'm not sure I can get out on a Tuesday night to see a movie.

AshNazg
Gondor

Aug 4 2015, 10:31pm

Post #12 of 25 (1749 views)
Shortcut
Money, not just for profit... [In reply to] Can't Post

Although, mainly for profit. It's also good for making the film look more successful. So they can say "The Hobbit made this much in cinemas" without mentioning the fact that it was released twice.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Aug 4 2015, 10:31pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Aug 4 2015, 10:34pm

Post #13 of 25 (1755 views)
Shortcut
I hear the EE comes with a video message from PJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a ten minute clip of him laughing at everyone for falling for all of these marketing schemes.

Lindele
Gondor

Aug 4 2015, 11:18pm

Post #14 of 25 (1714 views)
Shortcut
Funny thing about the system... [In reply to] Can't Post

No one is forcing or even asking anyone to spend their money. If you aren't interested in seeing the extended versions in theaters, don't go! As with LOTR the exended Hobbit films are the definitive versions, so some people would love the opportunity to see them on the big screen.
Double or quadruple dipping is only the fault of the person buying.

AshNazg
Gondor

Aug 5 2015, 12:35am

Post #15 of 25 (1660 views)
Shortcut
I'm only having fun, don't worry... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm actually tempted to go to this, just to see it all in HFR (which I love).

But it is funny how WB has done every single franchise milking trick in the book to squeeze every penny out of these films. From unnecessary references for the fans, dumbing down for the newbies, audience pandering, invented "girl-power" characters for the girls, invented "comic relief" characters for the kids, fan-servicing, multiple movie splits, innovative gimmicks, multiple projection formats, 3D, IMAX, HFR 3D, 4D, Dolby Atmos, marathon events, multiple home formats, limited editions, extended editions, Lego editions, gift-set editions, steelbooks, boxed sets, cinema re-releases... you name it, The Hobbit is guilty. Laugh

To be fair, I don't think they did a trailer for a trailer? So maybe there's that.

Edit: Oh no, they did that too: https://instagram.com/p/q9zm4pQc9l/

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Aug 5 2015, 12:39am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 5 2015, 12:40am

Post #16 of 25 (1649 views)
Shortcut
Trilogy Tuesday ring a bell? [In reply to] Can't Post

They do this because Tuesdays are a slow day of the week for movie theaters, and thus a good day for them to host special events. It brings out people who wouldn't otherwise go to the movies on that day.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Kim
Valinor

Aug 5 2015, 2:29am

Post #17 of 25 (1590 views)
Shortcut
Suckers? [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry...I'm one of those suckers too who will probably pay the money to see the EE in theaters.

I don't consider myself a sucker for wanting to see the EE in theaters - I think it's great if we get the opportunity. I just hope it'll play at a theater near me and that I can actually go. I missed the whole Trilogy Tuesday thing with LOTR, so this could be a last chance for a fun fan event. Well, you know, except for the end. Unimpressed

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 5 2015, 3:12am

Post #18 of 25 (1568 views)
Shortcut
limited releases [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always a shame when things like this are such limited releases. I have several different movie theaters in my area, and yet none of them ever get these things. I'd have to drive a ridiculous distance to make it to one of these events. Maybe this time will be different...

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Aug 5 2015, 3:40am

Post #19 of 25 (1549 views)
Shortcut
They did something similar for LotR. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just before RotK was released in theaters there were special showings of FotR-EE and TTT-EE. The theaters were packed, and everyone had a wonderful time.

Yes, of course it's a "one last time" money grab, but it's also a great gift to the fans. No reason they have to be mutually exclusive!

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 4:13am

Post #20 of 25 (1531 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew around the time of BOFA, selected theaters played the entire Hobbit trilogy (TE), but I never knew the same was done with LOTR.

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Aug 5 2015, 4:24am

Post #21 of 25 (1516 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't agree with you more.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
No one is forcing or even asking anyone to spend their money. If you aren't interested in seeing the extended versions in theaters, don't go! As with LOTR the exended Hobbit films are the definitive versions, so some people would love the opportunity to see them on the big screen.
Double or quadruple dipping is only the fault of the person buying.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 8:58pm

Post #22 of 25 (1343 views)
Shortcut
Love this attitude! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ya they want money, but fans will love it too so why not???!!! Benefits both!

Dwarewien
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 10:27pm

Post #23 of 25 (1319 views)
Shortcut
I'll pass... [In reply to] Can't Post

since this is the same day that Jurassic World comes to Blu-ray and DVD, and I can't watch two movies in one night. And although I've seen the theatrical version of BoFA in theaters, if I see the Extended Edition, you'll have to carry me out of there (seriously), so it's best if I wait the extra month. We never had trilogy screenings of the theatrical editions in my neck of the woods, so why would they bother with the Extended Editions? We're just not big enough, and I don't have the money to hop on a bus to go to a theater where they will be playing, so I would rather watch Jurassic World in the comfort of my own home (there are a few scenes that make me tear up, but it's nothing like BoFA, not by a long shot).Unsure

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 5 2015, 10:41pm

Post #24 of 25 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

You could watch TH:BotFA-EE at the theater, pick up the Blu-ray (or DVD) of Jurassic World but put off watching it for a day or so. Just sayin'.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Bree

Aug 6 2015, 9:51pm

Post #25 of 25 (1187 views)
Shortcut
anyone [In reply to] Can't Post

anyone wihs this was an IMAX release?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.