Immortal

Jul 29 2015, 10:02am

Post #1 of 32 (4718 views)
Shortcut
TIME - July 29 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

July 29-August 15, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Mirkwood watches the newcomers.
(determined from text - referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth
..."The nights were the worst. It then became pitch-dark... ...so black that you really could see nothing. Bilbo tried flapping his hand in front of his nose, but he could not see it at all.... ...They slept all closely huddled together, and took it in turns to watch; and when it was Bilbo's turn he would see gleams in the darkness round them, and sometimes pairs of yellow or red or green eyes would stare at him from a little distance, and then slowly fade and disappear and slowly shine out again in another place... ...sometimes they would gleam down from the branches just above him; and that was most terrifying. But the eyes that he liked the least were horrible pale bulbous sort of eyes. "Insect eyes" he thought, "not animal eyes, only they are much too big."
...Although it was not yet very cold, they tried lighting watch-fires at night, but they soon gave that up. It seemed to bring hundreds and hundreds of eyes all round them, though the creatures... ...were careful never to let their bodies show in the little flicker of the flames."

July 29, 1954
1. The Fellowship of the Ring published.
...The first of 3 volumes of The Lord of the Rings was published in the United Kingdom. This volume contains the first 2 of Tolkien's 6 "books" of his epic tale. This volume introduces us to a history of Middle-earth, the main characters, the tale of the Ring of Sauron, the creation of the Fellowship, and the launch of the Quest to destroy the Ring.

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 30 2015, 9:55am

Post #2 of 32 (4634 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler of how it could have been worse before they even reached Mirkwood! Bilbo, I'm sure, recalled another warning that Beorn had given them before they left (see if you notice something familiar in his strategy)... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Queer Lodgings: The Hobbit

..."The goblins," Beorn had said, "will not dare to cross the Great River for a hundred miles north of the Carrock nor to come near my house... ...but I should ride fast; for if they make their raid soon they will cross the river to the south and scour all the edge of the forest so as to cut you off, and Wargs run swifter than ponies. Still you are safer going north, even though you seem to be going back nearer to their strongholds; for that is what they will least expect, and they will have the longer ride to catch you...!"
......That is why they were now riding in silence, galloping wherever the ground was grassy and smooth, with the mountains dark on their left, and in the distance the line of the river with its trees drawing ever closer. The sun had only just turned west when they started, and till evening it lay golden on the land... ...It was difficult to think of pursuing goblins behind, and when they had put many miles between them and Beorn's house they began to talk and to sing again and to forget the dark forest-path that lay in front. But in the evening when the dusk came on and the peaks of the mountains glowered against the sunset they made a camp and set a guard... ...most of them slept uneasily with dreams in which there came the howl of hunting wolves and the cries of goblins."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 31 2015, 11:30am

Post #3 of 32 (4606 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler about what Pippin did wilst lying about as an Uruk passenger… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Uruk-hai: The Two Towers

... "He woke. Cold air blew on his face. He was lying on his back… …He turned and found that the dream was little worse than the waking. His wrists, legs, and ankles were tied with cords. Beside him Merry lay, white-faced, with a dirty rag bound across his brow. All about them sat or stood a great company of Orcs.
... Slowly in Pippin's aching head memory pieced itself together and became separated from dream-shadows… …His last memory was of Boromir leaning against a tree, plucking out an arrow; then darkness fell suddenly.
... 'I suppose I was knocked on the head,' he said to himself. 'I wonder if poor Merry is much hurt…?'

...…He struggled a little, quite uselessly. One of the Orcs sitting near laughed and said something to a companion in their abominable tongue. 'Rest while you can, little fool!' he said then to Pippin, in the Common Speech, which he made almost as hideous as his own language. 'Rest while you can! We'll find a use for your legs before long. You'll wish you had got none before we get home.'
... 'If I had my way, you'd wish you were dead now,' said the other. 'I'd make you squeak, you miserable rat.' He stooped over Pippin, bringing his yellow fangs close to his face. He had a black knife with a long jagged blade in his hand. 'Lie quiet, or I'll tickle you with this… …Don't draw attention to yourself, or I may forget my orders….
... …Terrified Pippin lay still, though the pain at his wrists and ankles was growing, and the stones beneath him were boring into his back. To take his mind off himself he listened intently to all that he could hear… …though orc-speech sounded at all times full of hate and anger, it seemed plain that something like a quarrel had begun, and was getting hotter.
... To Pippin's surprise he found that much of the talk was intelligible; many of the Orcs were using ordinary language... ...There was an angry debate concerning what... ...should be done with the prisoners.
... 'There's no time to kill them properly,' said one. 'No time for play on this trip.'
... 'That can't be helped,' said another. 'But why not kill them quick, kill them now? They're a cursed nuisance, and we're in a hurry....'
... '...Orders,' said a third voice in a deep growl. 'Kill all but NOT the Halflings; they are to be brought back ALIVE as quickly as possible. That's my orders...'
... '...The prisoners are NOT to be searched or plundered: those are my orders.'
... 'And mine too,' said the deep voice. 'Alive and as captured; no spoiling. That's my orders.'
... 'Not our orders!' said one of the earlier voices. 'We have come all the way from the Mines to kill, and avenge our folk. I wish to kill, and then go back north.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 31 2015, 6:56pm

Post #4 of 32 (4600 views)
Shortcut
Hi gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Here's a Book Spoiler of how it could have been worse before they even reached Mirkwood! Bilbo, I'm sure, recalled another warning that Beorn had given them before they left (see if you notice something familiar in his strategy)...

I’ve thought about your parenthetical ‘question’ but cannot come up with anything concrete. (Care to give a hint?)

But as I was thinking along these lines it brought back to me something I’ve always thought rather peculiar: A couple days after leaving Beorn’s house Bilbo saw a great bear prowling along in their same direction. Gandalf seems to confirm later that indeed this is Beorn guarding not only the company but (probably as important to him) his ponies.

So the question might be: If Beorn was going to ‘go along’ anyway why would he covertly sneek along on ‘guard duty’ with the companions for the few days it took to reach the entrance to the Mirkwood path? Why didn’t he simply ride along and show them where the entrance was?

Just a wondering wandering thought… Crazy

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 31 2015, 7:22pm

Post #5 of 32 (4597 views)
Shortcut
Beorn's Suspicious Nature [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So the question might be: If Beorn was going to ‘go along’ anyway why would he covertly sneek along on ‘guard duty’ with the companions for the few days it took to reach the entrance to the Mirkwood path? Why didn’t he simply ride along and show them where the entrance was?

I think that, even then, Beorn still harbored some reservations about the greedy, selfish nature of Dwarves. He was following the company as much to look after his ponies as to protect the others.

As for what Gramma was asking, I'm not sure. Beorn warned them about the Enchanted Stream, not to drink from or bathe in it, and he warned them to avoid the Old Forest Road in the first place, as the eastern end was no longer passable.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 31 2015, 7:23pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 31 2015, 11:36pm

Post #6 of 32 (4585 views)
Shortcut
Agreed Otaku [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think that, even then, Beorn still harbored some reservations about the greedy, selfish nature of Dwarves. He was following the company as much to look after his ponies as to protect the others.

This seems to be as good an answer as any. To take it a step further, perhaps he was testing the integrity of the Dwarves to return his ponies (giving them some rope?). Now, our good Gandalf is another matter, as he apparently rode off on Beorn’s horse to the White Council meeting. Hmm. No further mention is made of this that I’m aware of. Crazy

In Reply To
As for what Gramma was asking, I'm not sure. Beorn warned them about the Enchanted Stream, not to drink from or bathe in it, and he warned them to avoid the Old Forest Road in the first place, as the eastern end was no longer passable.

I’m not sure here either. The wording seems to indicate that Bilbo had some kind of strategy? I can’t think of a strategy that he might have come up with. Bilbo up to this point has been pretty much of a tag-along. Did Beorn’s warnings give him some ideas?
You seem to indicate that they took the Old Forest Road (?) which was south of Beorn’s place, whereas the path they took was several days ride north. Probably misreading you here . . . sorry. Evil

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 1 2015, 11:21am

Post #7 of 32 (4548 views)
Shortcut
Not what I wrote. [In reply to] Can't Post

No. If not for Beorn's warning, the company probably would have taken the Old Forest Road. Even Gandalf, at least in the book, seemed to be unaware that it had become impassible on the eastern end. It was because of Beorn's advise (again, in the book) that they knew to take the Elven path.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 3 2015, 2:28am

Post #8 of 32 (4517 views)
Shortcut
You know why [In reply to] Can't Post

you couldn't figure out the the concrete thing? Because I worded it SO WRONG! I was in a hurry... bad start.

What I was going for is another situation when going toward the trouble was the strategy to escape it. When (movie) Pippin was talking to Merry about going towards Isengard to escape the danger... "It's the last thing he'll expect."

SO SORRY! That was a nasty thing for me to do :(

Thanks for hanging in there... and Otaku-sempai, too!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 3 2015, 2:28am

Post #9 of 32 (4516 views)
Shortcut
I think part of the reason [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn didn't just travel with them is also because he didn't want to commit to being a part of their Quest. Not trusting Dwarves and not wanting to be responsible for them, too. But the love of his animals was reason enough for him to go.

Whereas, on the return journey from Erebor, he did choose to travel with Gandalf and Bilbo. No Dwarves probably helped ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 3 2015, 2:32am

Post #10 of 32 (4522 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a Book Spoiler that begs to ask... do we need to stop at 6 films? For a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From APPENDIX A : ANNALS OF THE KINGS AND RULERS : ERIADOR, ARNOR, AND THE HEIRS OF ISILDUR : The Return of the King

..."There were fourteen Chieftains, before the fifteenth and last was born, Aragorn II, who became again King of both Gondor and Arnor. 'Our King, we call him; and when he comes north to his house in Annúminas restored and stays for a while by Lake Evendim, then everyone in the Shire is glad. But he does not enter this land and binds himself by the law that he has made, that none of the Big People shall pass its borders. But he rides often with many fair people to the Great Bridge, and... ...welcomes his friends, and any others who wish to see him; and some ride away with him and stay in his house as long as they have a mind. Thain Peregrin has been there many times; and so has Master Samwise the Mayor. His daughter Elanor the Fair is one of the maids of Queen Evenstar.'
...It was the pride and wonder of the Northern Line that, though their power departed and their people dwindled, through all the many generations the succession was unbroken from father to son... ...though the length of the lives of the Dúnedain grew ever less in Middle-earth, after the ending of their kings the waning was swifter in Gondor; and many of the Chieftains of the North still lived to twice the age of Men... ...Aragorn indeed lived to be two hundred and ten years old, longer than any of his line since King Arvegil; but in Aragorn Elessar the dignity of the kings of old was renewed."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Aug 3 2015, 3:08am

Post #11 of 32 (4513 views)
Shortcut
Oh, we’re good Gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
you couldn't figure out the the concrete thing? Because I worded it SO WRONG! I was in a hurry... bad start.

If I’d been called on every faux pas I’ve made the list would be a gigabite. At least you got my brain thinking of the situation wherein I made yet another Mad by misinterpreting Otaku about the Forest Road.

Heart We ALL appreciate the hard work you put in on these great Tolkien-zen moments! Heart It’s so much fun to read (and think about) your little snatches of text and time.
Thanks!

-JRR Tolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 3 2015, 3:24pm

Post #12 of 32 (4496 views)
Shortcut
More than six? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's a Book Spoiler that begs to ask... do we need to stop at 6 films?

Well, I don't think that a sequel set in the Fourth Age would be a good idea. At the very least it would be controversial and problematic, risking alienating Tolkien fans and readers.

The material in the Appendices is awfully sketchy for anyone wanting to make a movie(s) set in the Second Age (to say nothing of the First). It might be unwise to attempt such a project unless one could obtain the screenrights to The Silmarillion. I don't see that there would be enough general interest in a movie about Balin's colony in Moria or about any of the previous Kings of Arnor or Chieftains of the Dunedain.

I think that the only realistic possibility is the story of young Aragorn. In this instance the film-continuity might make such an adaptation easier. Professor Tolkien seems to contradict himself on the timeline of Aragorn's period of journeys and errantries. At times, Tolkien seems to imply that many (if not all) of Aragorn's great journeys into the distant East and far South took place after his time serving under Ecthelion in Gondor. However, Tolkien writes that Aragorn's period of "Great Journeys and Errantries" ended in TA 2980 with the successful raid he led on the Corsair fleet in Umbar. This same year he both reunites with Arwen and returns to Rivendell, not leaving time for much in the way of wandering. In the film-continuity one assumes that most of Aragorn's more distant travels must have been accomplished before he entered into the service of King Thengel of Rohan (since Saruman would not start troubling Rohan until well after a decade after the Battle of Five Armies. In Tolkien's canon, Thengel becomes the king of Rohan in 2953, the same year of the last meeting of the White Council and the year when Saruman takes full possession of Isengard and began fortifying it.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Aug 3 2015, 3:26pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 3 2015, 3:27pm

Post #13 of 32 (4496 views)
Shortcut
Personally... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'm waiting for the 12 film reboot.

Mathom House Bestsellers:

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in the Pits of Orthanc

Zen and the Art of Cockle Boat Maintenance

Fifty Shades of Gandalf the Grey

Coney Stew for the Soul

Rhosgobel Rabbits - Unsafe At Any Speed

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 3 2015, 10:44pm

Post #14 of 32 (4479 views)
Shortcut
He is all over the place [In reply to] Can't Post

And I find myself embracing that more and more as I become more over the place myself. Last post on Beorn is a perfect example ;) But the reality the inconsistency of.. say... just Aragorn's tale would make it hard to put something together. It would be great to see them try, though!!!!! ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 3 2015, 10:45pm

Post #15 of 32 (4495 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the first part of a 3-part Book Spoiler that looks at the role of the Stewards of Gondor... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Appendix A: The Stewards: Return of the King

... "The House of the Stewards was called the House of Húrin... ...descendants of the Steward of King Minardil (1621-34), Húrin of Emyn Arnen, a man of high Númenórean race. After his day the kings had always chosen their stewards from among his descendants; and... ...the Stewardship became hereditary as a kingship, from father to son or nearest kin.
... Each new Steward indeed took office with the oath 'to hold rod and rule in the name of the king, until he shall return.' But these soon became words of ritual little heeded, for the Stewards exercised all the power of the kings. Yet many in Gondor still believed that a king would indeed return... ...and some remembered the ancient line of the North, which it was rumoured still lived on in the shadows. But against such thoughts the Ruling Stewards hardened their hearts.
... Nonetheless the Stewards never sat on the ancient throne... ...wore no crown, and held no sceptre. They bore a white rod only as the token of their office; and their banner was white without charge; but the royal banner had been sable, upon which was displayed a white tree in blossom beneath seven stars."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 3 2015, 10:49pm

Post #16 of 32 (4478 views)
Shortcut
*high five* [In reply to] Can't Post

You ALWAYS make me smile! Cheers, Bracegirdle! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 3 2015, 10:50pm

Post #17 of 32 (4477 views)
Shortcut
*high five* [In reply to] Can't Post

Got goosebumps with that one!!! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 4 2015, 12:10am

Post #18 of 32 (4477 views)
Shortcut
Journeys and Errantries. [In reply to] Can't Post

We can assume one of two things: Either Tolkien was a bit off and at least some of Aragorn's great journeys were accomplished after TA 2980; or, the journeys into the East and South took place before his time in Gondor (and perhaps even before his service to King Thengel of Rohan).

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 4 2015, 1:55pm

Post #19 of 32 (4454 views)
Shortcut
Oh... that makes more sense! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 4 2015, 1:58pm

Post #20 of 32 (4472 views)
Shortcut
It's time for even MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the second part of a 3-part Book Spoiler that looks at the role of the Stewards of Gondor... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "After Mardil Voronwë, who was reckoned the first of the line there followed twenty-four Ruling Stewards of Gondor, until the time of Denethor II, the twenty-sixth and last. At first they had quiet, for those were the days of the Watchful Peace... ...Sauron withdrew before the power of the White Council and the Ringwraiths remained hidden in Morgul Vale. But from the time of Denethor I, there was never full peace again, and even when Gondor had no great or open war its borders were under constant threat.
... In the last years of Denethor I the race of uruks, black orcs of great strength, first appeared out of Mordor... ...they swept across Ithilien and took Osgiliath. Boromir son of Denethor (after whom Boromir of the Nine Walkers was later named) defeated them and regained Ithilien... ...Osgiliath was finally ruined, and its great stone-bridge was broken. No people dwelt there afterwards. Boromir was a great captain, and even the Witch-king feared him. He was noble and fair of face, a man strong in body and in will, but he received a Morgul-wound in that war which shortened his days, and he became shrunken with pain and died twelve year after his father.
... After him began the long rule of Cirion. He was watchful and wary, but the reach of Gondor had grown short, and he could do little more than defend his borders, while his enemies... ...prepared strokes against him that he could not hinder. The Corsairs harried his coasts, but it was in the north that his chief peril lay."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 5 2015, 9:48am

Post #21 of 32 (4444 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the third part of a 3-part Book Spoiler that looks at the role of the Stewards of Gondor... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

..."In the wide lands of Rhovanion, between Mirkwood and the River Running, a fierce people now dwelt, wholly under the shadow of Dol Guldur. Often they made raids through the forest, until the vale of Anduin south of the Gladden was largely deserted... ...Cirion was hard put to it to hold the line of the Anduin.
... 'Foreseeing the storm, Cirion sent north for aid, but over-late; for... ...the Balchoth, having built many great boats and rafts on the east shores of Anduin, swarmed over the River and swept away the defenders. An army marching up from the south was cut off and driven north over the Limlight, and there it was suddenly attacked by a horde of Orcs from the Mountains and pressed towards the Anduin. Then out of the North there came help beyond hope, and the horns of the Rohirrim were first heard in Gondor. Eorl the Young came with his riders and swept away the enemy, and pursued the Balchoth to the death over the fields of Calenardhon. Cirion granted to Eorl that land to dwell in, and he swore to Cirion the Oath of Eorl, of friendship at need or at call to the Lords of Gondor.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 7 2015, 11:28am

Post #22 of 32 (4333 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 7 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

August 7, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo and the Dwarves are on Forest Trail in Mirkwood.
(from Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."It was not long before they grew to hate the forest as heartily as they had hated the tunnels of the goblins, and it seemed to offer even less hope of any ending. But they had to go on and on, long after they were sick for a sight of the sun and of the sky, and longed for the feel of wind on their faces."

The Great Years
August 7, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Frodo waited for Gandalf's return as he made plans to leave the Shire.
(not from the appendices—general time frame from book)
..."Gandalf had left the suddenly after hearing something that made him anxious and needed looking into. At first Frodo was a good deal disturbed, and wondered often what Gandalf could have heard; but this uneasiness wore off, and in the fine weather he forgot his troubles for a while. The Shire had seldom seen so fair a summer..."

2. All trace of Gollum is lost.
[It is thought that at about this time, being hunted both by the Elves and Sauron's servants, he took refuge in Moria; but when he had at last discovered the way to the West-gate he could not get out. There is no real account of this other than references from others. This excerpt is from the Council of Elrond as an explanation of how Gollum escaped and was thus lost]
(from the appendices--repeated from June 20th post)
..."It was that very night of summer, yet moonless and starless, that Orcs came on us [Mirkwood Elves] at unawares. We drove them off after some time; they were many and fierce... ...they came from over the mountains, and were unused to the woods. When the battle was over, we found that Gollum was gone, and his guards were slain or taken. It then seemed plain to us that the attack had been made for his rescue, and that he knew of it beforehand. How that was contrived we cannot guess; but Gollum is cunning... ...The dark things that were driven out in the year of the Dragon's fall have returned in greater numbers, and Mirkwood is again an evil place, save where our realm is maintained.
...'We have failed to recapture Gollum. We came on his trail among those of many Orcs, and it plunged deep into the Forest, going south. But... ...it escaped our skill, and we dared not continue the hunt; for we were drawing nigh to Dol Guldur, and that is still a very evil place; we do not go that way.'"

August 7, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The escort comes to Edoras.
(from the appendices)
..."At length after fifteen days of journey the wain of King Théoden passed through the green fields of Rohan and came to Edoras; and there they all rested. The Golden Hall was arrayed with fair hangings and it was filled with light, and there was held the highest feast that it had known since the days of its building. For after three days the Men of the Mark prepared the funeral of Théoden..."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 8 2015, 1:13pm

Post #23 of 32 (4302 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 8 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

August 8, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Nights without lights.
(determined from text - referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."...they tried lighting watch-fires at night, but they soon gave that up... ...it brought thousands of dark-grey and black moths, some nearly as big as your hand, flapping and whirring round their ears. They could not stand that, nor the huge bats, black as a top-hat, either; so they gave up fires and sat at night and dozed in the enormous uncanny darkness.
...All this went on for what seemed to the hobbit ages upon ages; and he was always hungry, for they were extremely careful with their provisions... ...they began to get anxious. The food would not last for ever: it was in fact already beginning to get low. They tried shooting at the squirrels, and they wasted many arrows before they managed to bring one down on the path. But when they roasted it, it proved horrible to taste, and they shot no more squirrels."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 9 2015, 12:33pm

Post #24 of 32 (4277 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

August 9, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The Company's suffering grows.
(determined from text - referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."They were thirsty... ...for they had none too much water, and in all the time they had seen neither spring nor stream. [Even if they found one stream in particular, they'd be out of luck.] It was well that Beorn had warned them against it..."
...[From Queer Lodgings]""...I will provide you with skins for carrying water, and I will give you some bows and arrows. But I doubt very much whether anything you find in Mirkwood will be wholesome to eat or to drink. There is one stream there... ...black and strong which crosses the path. That you should neither drink of, nor bathe in; for I have heard that it carries enchantment and a great drowsiness and forgetfulness. And in the dim shadows of that place I don't think you will shoot anything, wholesome or unwholesome, without straying from the path. That you MUST NOT do, for any reason.""

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 10 2015, 9:34am

Post #25 of 32 (4268 views)
Shortcut
TIME - August 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

August 10, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Funeral of King Théoden [He passed on March 15].
(from the appendices)
..."...[Théoden] was laid in a house of stone with his arms and many other fair things that he had possessed, and over him was raised a great mound, covered with green turves of grass and of white evermind. And now there were eight mounds on the east-side of the Barrowfield.
...Then the Riders of the King's House upon white horses rode round... ... the barrow and sang together a song of Théoden... ...that Gléowine his minstrel made, and he made no other song after. The slow voices of the Riders stirred the hearts even of those who did not know the speech of that people; but the words of the song brought a light to the eyes of the folk of the Mark as they heard again afar the thunder of the hooves of the North and the voice of Eorl crying above the battle upon the Field of Celebrant... ...the tale of the kings rolled on, and the horn of Helm was loud in the mountains, until the Darkness came and King Théoden arose and rode through the Shadow to the fire, and died in splendour, even as the Sun, returning beyond hope, gleamed upon Mindolluin in the morning.

Out of doubt, out of dark, to the day's rising

He rode singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.

Hope he rekindled, and in hope ended;

over death, over dread, over doom lifted

out of loss, out of life, unto long glory.

...But Merry stood at the foot of the green mound, and he wept, and when the song was ended he arose and cried; 'Théoden King, Théoden King! Farewell! As a father you were to me, for a little while. Farewell!'

......At the last when the feast drew to an end Éomer arose and said: 'Now this is the funeral feast of Théoden the King; but I will speak ere we go of tidings of joy, for he would not grudge that I should do so, since he was ever a father to Éowyn my sister. Hear then all my guests... ...Faramir, Steward of Gondor, and Prince of Ithilien, asks that Éowyn Lady of Rohan should be his wife, and who grants it full willing. Therefore they shall be trothplighted before you all.'
...And Faramir and Éowyn stood forth and set hand in hand; and all there drank to them and were glad. 'Thus,' said Éomer, 'is the friendship of the Mark and of Gondor bound with a new bond, and the more do I rejoice.'
...'No niggard are you, Éomer,' said Aragorn, 'to give thus to Gondor the fairest thing in your realm!'
...Then Éowyn looked in the eyes of Aragorn, and she said: 'Wish me joy, my liege-lord and healer!'
...And he answered: 'I have wished thee joy ever since first I saw thee. It heals my heart to see thee now in bliss.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.