Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Its a post-thunderstorm, 'What have YOU been Watching?' - thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kim
Valinor

Aug 7 2015, 5:37am

Post #51 of 56 (645 views)
Shortcut
I actually don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's more my personal taste (although I'm sure I did miss some Kiwi cultural references and in jokes). It reminds me of some other mockumentary type movies, like Best in Show (which I do not like) and A Mighty Wind (which I love). So, call me inconsistent, but sometimes this style works for me, and sometimes it doesn't.

P.S. I think I'm one of the few people who liked the stick insect joke in AUJ, so I think I do get Peter Jackson's humor at least in some part. Cool

Annael
Immortal

Aug 7 2015, 3:05pm

Post #52 of 56 (634 views)
Shortcut
I'm American & found it hilarious [In reply to] Can't Post

but I've always found British comedies funnier than American ones for the most part, and I've loved the few Kiwi ones I've seen (Almighty Johnsons).

Maybe I was just born in the wrong country. I often feel that, especially in election years . . .

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kim
Valinor

Aug 9 2015, 12:21am

Post #53 of 56 (607 views)
Shortcut
Amazing Grace [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a really well done movie based on the real life story of William Wilberforce's efforts to end the slave trade in Great Britain at the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th centuries. Ioan Gruffudd plays Wilberforce, Benedict Cumberbatch plays his friend William Pitt (Britain's youngest Prime Minister at 24!) and Albert Finney plays John Newton, a former slave ship captain turned priest who wrote the song Amazing Grace and was Wilberforce's mentor.

I think I put this in my queue after watching Belle, and found it very similar in tone, storytelling and visuals.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Aug 9 2015, 1:26am

Post #54 of 56 (599 views)
Shortcut
Shaun the Sheep [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not normally a fan of animated films, although there have been a few I've really enjoyed, such as Finding Nemo, Brave, and the Madagascar films. This one is a British movie, and it's absolutely charming! Funny and touching, suitable for both young children as well as adults who enjoy a bit of lighter fare. The most remarkable thing about it is that there is not one word of spoken dialog. There are plenty of grunts and mumbles and music though, and even the children in the audience had no trouble following what was going on.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 9 2015, 1:47am

Post #55 of 56 (591 views)
Shortcut
I do love that movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Albert Finney and Michael Gambon are always marvellous.

And I try to not think of the fact that the tune they're singing in the movie is NOT the one those folks would have actually sung for Newton's stanzas. The tune we all know was not used for it until 1835, when an American, William Walker, in his song collection entitled The Southern Harmony, set it to an Appalachian folk melody called "New Britain".

Here's a good article about the song: http://www.markrhoads.com/amazingsite/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kim
Valinor

Aug 9 2015, 6:58am

Post #56 of 56 (582 views)
Shortcut
Hannibal [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow! What a great episode!!! If last week's ep was a bit lacking in the Dolarhyde content, this episode totally made up for it. Definitely my favorite one to date - we got lots in the advancement of his story, with Will and Hannibal circling. And the scenes between Francis and Reba - wow were those fantastic!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.