Slytherin
View Results (38 votes)

Aranarth
The Shire

Aug 3 2015, 2:39pm

Post #1 of 19 (2943 views)
Shortcut
Hogwarts House Can't Post

I have no doubt that a poll of this has already taken place but, I'll ask again anyway. Which Hogwarts house do you think you belong in?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Aug 3 2015, 3:37pm

Post #2 of 19 (2887 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to say Gryffindor, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Hufflepuff seems more likely.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 3 2015, 4:28pm

Post #3 of 19 (2876 views)
Shortcut
Ravenclaw [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I was sorted in Slytherin in Pottermore. ShockedLaugh

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Aug 3 2015, 4:30pm

Post #4 of 19 (2871 views)
Shortcut
Ravenclaw [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 3 2015, 8:10pm

Post #5 of 19 (2857 views)
Shortcut
My inclination and Pottermore agree: Ravenclaw [In reply to] Can't Post

Beamer (my daughter) is a Hufflepuff according to Pottermore. By ability, she'd be a Ravenclaw, but her personality fits well with Hufflepuff. Among her friends, there are representatives of all four houses, getting along with each other beautifully - though the Slytherin does have a tendency to freak the others out with her frequent mentions of glitter glue...

What Hogwarts houses would the folks of Middle Earth belong to?

Kim
Valinor

Aug 4 2015, 12:42am

Post #6 of 19 (2843 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

On both counts. I demand a re-assessment on Slytherin! Angelic

cats16
Half-elven

Aug 4 2015, 6:43am

Post #7 of 19 (2831 views)
Shortcut
Everyone tells me I'm a Ravenclaw. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I trust the hardcore fans on this one.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2015, 7:58am

Post #8 of 19 (2824 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to think I'd be in Ravenclaw [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'd more likely be in Hufflepuff, and that's okay.

One of the reasons I like the books is that the ideals of "brave" "intelligent" "industrious" and "ambitious" aren't simplistic. Neville isn't brave in an obvious way, nor is Ron for that matter. They are often scared but they overcome their fear. Luna is ditzy but when it comes down to it, she's wise beyond her years. I also like that, even though Hufflepuffs were at first depicted as "the rest", those with no particular talent, in GoF, the most worthy student from Hogwarts to compete in the Triwizard Tournament was a Hufflepuff.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2015, 7:18pm

Post #9 of 19 (2767 views)
Shortcut
There's an essay bouncing around tumblr somewhere [In reply to] Can't Post

that points out something I never thought about before. Each of the three main characters, while being sorted into Gryffindor, has the characteristics of the other 3 houses. Ron is a Hufflepuff, Hermione is a Ravenclaw and Harry is a Slytherin. It takes all those characteristics to succeed, not just being brave. Harry never could have succeeded without his friends. I liked that take on things.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2015, 7:20pm

Post #10 of 19 (2765 views)
Shortcut
Proud Hufflepuff! Go Badgers! Go Badgers! [In reply to] Can't Post

So are two of my daughters. The other daughter is Slytherin and my sons are Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw.

What is interesting is that if I take the quizzes taking into account the fact that I have kids, I'm Hufflepuff. If I take them as an individual, with no responsibilities, I come out as either a Ravenclaw or a Gryffindor.

Go figure... Crazy

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Aug 5 2015, 7:22pm)

Annael
Immortal

Aug 6 2015, 4:25pm

Post #11 of 19 (2726 views)
Shortcut
interesting question [In reply to] Can't Post

my first take without much reflection:

Frodo: Gryffindor
Sam: Gryffindor
Pippin: Hufflepuff
Merry: Gryffindor
Aragorn: Gryffindor
Boromir: Slytherin
Legolas: Ravenclaw
Gimli: Gryffindor
Gandalf: Ravenclaw
Saruman: Slytherin
Theoden: Hufflepuff
Eomer: Gryffindor
Faramir: Hufflepuff
Eowyn: Slytherin
Denethor: Slytherin
Wormtongue: Slytherin
Butterbur: Hufflepuff

the Elves would all be in Ravenclaw, except perhaps Celeborn who would be in Hufflepuff.

Tom Bombadil would live in the Forest of course.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 7 2015, 5:13am

Post #12 of 19 (2711 views)
Shortcut
Of course Tom would! [In reply to] Can't Post

You got me thinking about some of the characters. I'm inclined to see Sam as a Hufflepuff, motivated as he is by loyalty; and Boromir I see more as a Gryffindor (hey, they can't all be heroes, right?); and, I'll admit it, I have a hard time seeing either book- or movie-Legolas as a Ravenclaw - more of a Gryffindor.

It gets tricky because, as Dame Ioreth pointed out, nobody fits just one House perfectly - the traits do overlap, and mix, and ability may suggest one House while inclination suggests another...

Or, in other words...
"You see us as you want to see us - in the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain...
and an athlete...
and a basket case...
a princess...
and a criminal...
Does that answer your question? Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club."

But that would be another poll. Wink

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Aug 7 2015, 2:56pm

Post #13 of 19 (2701 views)
Shortcut
What I think is interesting is how people react to their sorting [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially if they get put in Slytherin (or Hufflepuff, but especially Slytherin). One of Dumbledore's most pronounced characteristics is ambition. He wanted to find the Deathly Hallows. His quest to become a great wizard left his family in the dust. He uses Harry for his own plans. Yes, those plans are honorable and one could say "good" but he is ruthless in his pursuit. He has very strong Slytherin characteristics but we laud him as hero.

Snape, while sorting into Slytherin, is probably the bravest of all the characters, consistently putting himself in danger for someone he loved. No other wizard, including Dumbledore, withstood the power of Voldemort's ability to read minds, over and over, fooling Voldemort to the very end. Snape played double agent for years and was a close associate of Voldemort, all the while maintaining his own standard, protecting what Lily loved. His death was the most gut-wrenching for me because he basically died alone and unlauded.

But what I really want to know (talking of the ill-will many have towards Slytherins) is why when the troll in the bathroom is chased into the dungeons in the first book, do all the houses get sent back to their common rooms? ALL the houses, including Slytherin, whose common room is down by the dungeons? Does JKR have it in for them too? ShockedLaughWink

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Aug 7 2015, 3:10pm)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 8 2015, 8:14am

Post #14 of 19 (2673 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

One of Dumbledore's most pronounced characteristics is ambition. He wanted to find the Deathly Hallows. His quest to become a great wizard left his family in the dust. He uses Harry for his own plans. Yes, those plans are honorable and one could say "good" but he is ruthless in his pursuit. He has very strong Slytherin characteristics but we laud him as hero.

But at least Dumbledore realizes that about himself and deliberately eschews political power. He's not unlike Gandalf and Galadriel who understand that they cannot trust themselves with the Ring.

As for Snape: I was astounded to see a video clip of Rowling responding to a young fan, who had called Snape heroic, saying that she didn't think he was heroic at all. Now this was just a short clip intended to show Rowling interacting with her fans and it didn't show the whole exchange. But I seriously hope that she was playing devil's advocate, trying to draw the the young man out and have him make his case for Snape. Surely she sees Snape as brave and noble; she has Harry name one of his kids after him. I agree that Snape 's was the most tragic of all the deaths in HP.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Aug 8 2015, 2:04pm

Post #15 of 19 (2654 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there is an argument for Slytherin there!

(Also for some of the Silm Elves).

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Aug 8 2015, 2:12pm

Post #16 of 19 (2651 views)
Shortcut
Me three! [In reply to] Can't Post

I/my fandom friends would have put me in Ravenclaw. Though, having joined Pottermore, I accepted its designation of me as a Slytherin, after giving it some thought.

After all, I went to grad school and got my PhD in Math (hence, my surface assessment that OF COURSE I am a Ravenclaw). But, thereafter, after failing to secure an academic position (and refusing to try and hang on as an underpaid "instructor") I found a job in market research, and have found I enjoy finding clever solutions to real-world problems, and (as I progressed into management roles) getting teams to work successfully to achieve various goals. So yeah, ambition and doing what it takes to achieve goals is a fair description of me.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 10 2015, 10:03pm

Post #17 of 19 (2593 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good catch, arithmancer!

It especially makes sense to me thinking about her temptation scene with the Ring.

Nuradar
Rohan

Aug 13 2015, 12:13pm

Post #18 of 19 (2565 views)
Shortcut
According to Pottermore.... [In reply to] Can't Post

According to my answers given in the Pottermore interview by the Sorting Hat, I was placed in Ravenclaw.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Aug 25 2015, 3:03am

Post #19 of 19 (2471 views)
Shortcut
Ravenclaw (for two reasons) [In reply to] Can't Post

1. It was always the one I associated myself with as a kid when reading the books

2. It was what I was sorted into on Pottermore (which I was entirely too excited about when it happened lol)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.