The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The point of Kili's tear

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 3 2015, 5:07pm

Post #1 of 23 (2086 views)
Shortcut
The point of Kili's tear Can't Post

Okay, in BOT5A after Kili gets stabbed by Bolg, he says something to Tauriel, I think it's "My Love," and then a tear slides down his cheek before he dies. Well there could be a few reasons for that tear: 1. he's in pain; 2. he thinks of the life he could have lived being cut short; or 3. it's for Tauriel. It's touching, and to me the only part of that whole slow-mo stuff that I can really accept. Kind of wish they'd done the slow-mo thing for Fili, but that's another subject. But what does anyone else think? Too sad? Too cheesy? Don't care?

Sorry, don't have a screencap of Kili's tear, but you get the idea.

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 3 2015, 6:06pm

Post #2 of 23 (1970 views)
Shortcut
Quite cheesy, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In my opinion. Not so much the tear but the slow-mo reactions of Kili's face, then Tauriel's wide-open mouth, then Kili's gasp ...

I always saw the tear as being emotional pain at not being able to live his life with Tauriel.

I'll never get tired of stating the mistake of isolating the three dwarf heroes from each other during this sequence.

And Fili's lack of attention ... ugh ... let's not dwell on that.

Out of the three deaths, Thorin's was the (most) emotional one - and not so much the way he's mortally wounded (again, cheesy and cliche) but his farewell to Bilbo. That moment held afloat those final 10 minutes of climax.

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

(This post was edited by Arandir on Aug 3 2015, 6:07pm)

Thrain II
Lorien

Aug 3 2015, 9:43pm

Post #3 of 23 (1859 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

DainPig
Gondor

Aug 3 2015, 9:49pm

Post #4 of 23 (1859 views)
Shortcut
Kili is thinking: [In reply to] Can't Post

"I'm sorry, Tauriel, we will never live togheter."

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 3 2015, 10:17pm

Post #5 of 23 (1841 views)
Shortcut
Or [In reply to] Can't Post

"I wasn't able to avenge my brother..."

I know, I know. Wishful thinking.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Aug 3 2015, 10:21pm

Post #6 of 23 (1844 views)
Shortcut
Philippa Boyens [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't Philippa Boyens at one point specifically say that they were sticking straight to how their deaths played out in the book? And then they decided to muddle things up with those darn elves instead... I'm surprised they didn't cut to random shots of Legolas doing backflips while Thorin was saying farewell to Bilbo.

CathrineB
Rohan

Aug 3 2015, 11:13pm

Post #7 of 23 (1809 views)
Shortcut
Cherry [In reply to] Can't Post

It really to me was just the cherry ontop of the thick layer of cheese Laugh Gosh people go on and on about how awful Fili's death scene is and while YES it is awful the shock of is it's pretty good. Kili's death is so cheesy I want to cry for complete other reasons Crazy So to me that tear doesn't work. It's just too much cheese. Felt like it was something about that awful lovestory rather than you know, just having lost his... oh idon't know? Brother?

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Aug 3 2015, 11:19pm

Post #8 of 23 (1803 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sold on it [In reply to] Can't Post

It's cheesy to me. Kili's death is overall pretty cheesy. He dies away from his family and other dwarves. He didn't shed a tear for his brother, It bothers me to watch it.

Kind of wish they'd done the slow-mo thing for Fili

I honestly don't think I'd be able to handle that.

Justice for Fili

DainPig
Gondor

Aug 3 2015, 11:30pm

Post #9 of 23 (1797 views)
Shortcut
I found it, but without the tear [In reply to] Can't Post

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Aug 3 2015, 11:35pm

Post #10 of 23 (1795 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was sad! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I get extremely emotional over deaths, so Kili's death made me cry!

And I think he was crying over Tauriel, that he was leaving her and would never be able to love her again.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 4 2015, 12:26am

Post #11 of 23 (1768 views)
Shortcut
Well it's possible [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"I wasn't able to avenge my brother..."

I know, I know. Wishful thinking.

At least he started out avenging Fili, but then he got distracted...darn that Tauriel!

Ilmatar
Rohan

Aug 4 2015, 8:02am

Post #12 of 23 (1694 views)
Shortcut
The tear was fine, BUT... [In reply to] Can't Post

The scene was unfortunately cheesy - due to the way it was filmed, more than any failure in acting - and made MUCH worse by the slow-mo, but I think the tear was "natural" in a way, at that point. I don't think it was only/mainly for Tauriel, rather it would make sense to me that in his final moments Kíli realized the crushing enormity of all that he had lost: the fight, his brother, his life (and yes, Tauriel too - and any chance of protecting her from a similar fate - but not as the "main thing"). No doubt he was in pain too. His first adventure had turned out to be his last, he had lost Fíli and Tauriel both (and had no way of knowing what might happen to Thorin), he had failed to keep his promise to Dís, and knew he was about to die. It all sunk in at the last moment and I would not blame anyone for shedding a tear under the circumstances.

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Aug 4 2015, 8:05am)

Ilmatar
Rohan

Aug 4 2015, 8:19am

Post #13 of 23 (1684 views)
Shortcut
Tears come later - if there IS a later [In reply to] Can't Post

He didn't shed a tear for his brother, It bothers me to watch it.

Seems to me he simply didn't have time to mourn. When you lose someone very close, the first response is usually not crying (except in most movies), instead it is a total shock/panic, denial, and then anger (see the five stages of loss and grief).
In a battle situation, and seeming to be an impulsive personality, Kíli went from shock to rage in a heartbeat and ran off to avenge his brother. If he had survived, he would have had time to cry after the initial shock was over.

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Aug 4 2015, 8:22am)

lionoferebor
Rohan

Aug 4 2015, 12:03pm

Post #14 of 23 (1654 views)
Shortcut
I have to agree with CatherineB [In reply to] Can't Post

It really to me was just the cherry ontop of the thick layer of cheese Laugh Gosh people go on and on about how awful Fili's death scene is and while YES it is awful the shock of is it's pretty good. Kili's death is so cheesy I want to cry for complete other reasons Crazy So to me that tear doesn't work. It's just too much cheese. Felt like it was something about that awful lovestory rather than you know, just having lost his... oh idon't know? Brother?

I never really thought of the meaning behind Kili's tear probably because I'm too preoccupied rolling my eyes at the cheesiness of the entire scene...the slow motion, the girl...and wishing it would just end. Which is sad because Aidan Turner is a great actor and PJ. and co have written some very emotional and beautiful death scenes...i.e. Boromir, Thorin, Theoden, even Fili's death which people continually grumble about is moving in its own shocking, surreal kind of way.

SIDE NOTE: Despite the complaints about Fili's death it's seems according to this poll http://newboards.theonering.net/...=844813;poll=results it's one of the top three best Hobbit/LOTR death scenes, coming in only after Boromir and Thorin. That said I do not think it should have been in slow motion. The speed at which it runs, the music, the acting all plays together beautifully.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 4 2015, 4:43pm

Post #15 of 23 (1574 views)
Shortcut
Aidan & Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

"Which is sad because Aidan Turner is a great actor ..." Oh yeah, the season finale of "Poldark" had me crying my eyes outUnsure

"Despite the complaints about Fili's death it's seems according to this poll http://newboards.theonering.net/...=844813;poll=results it's one of the top three best Hobbit/LOTR death scenes, coming in only after Boromir and Thorin. That said I do not think it should have been in slow motion. The speed at which it runs, the music, the acting all plays together beautifully." Well I guess, I'm just saying I would rather they speed thru Kili's death than give us that slow-mo stuff, which I agree was cheesy except for the tear. That's interesting about Fili in that poll. I guess the biggest problem I have with Fili's death is that it appeared he didn't go down fighting like Boromir or Thorin, and that's really out of character for him. I know he had blood on his face, which tells me a fight happened somewhere. I just would have liked to see him take out a few Orcs before being overwhelmed by Azog (probably slammed in the head with Azog's mace). Well there's always a chance of that in the EE, here's hoping.

Fili as i remember him, a fierce warrior - Justice for Fili indeed!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 4 2015, 4:47pm

Post #16 of 23 (1567 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

He didn't shed a tear for his brother, It bothers me to watch it.

Seems to me he simply didn't have time to mourn. When you lose someone very close, the first response is usually not crying (except in most movies), instead it is a total shock/panic, denial, and then anger (see the five stages of loss and grief).
In a battle situation, and seeming to be an impulsive personality, Kíli went from shock to rage in a heartbeat and ran off to avenge his brother. If he had survived, he would have had time to cry after the initial shock was over.

I think Kili's inital reaction was VERY accurate - according to actual battle reports, a fair number of soldiers would react just like that (and clearly what Azog was counting on). Revenge, then tears.

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 4 2015, 5:47pm

Post #17 of 23 (1545 views)
Shortcut
If only ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Should we hope to a re-worked scene in the EE? I doubt it.

But I'm really hoping they discuss it during the behind the scenes features as to why the change. Not that it will help whenever rewatching the sequence, but it might ease off the frustration of "why?!" Laugh

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 4 2015, 5:56pm

Post #18 of 23 (1543 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

I never really thought of the meaning behind Kili's tear probably because I'm too preoccupied rolling my eyes at the cheesiness of the entire scene...the slow motion, the girl...and wishing it would just end. Which is sad because Aidan Turner is a great actor and PJ. and co have written some very emotional and beautiful death scenes...i.e. Boromir, Thorin, Theoden, even Fili's death which people continually grumble about is moving in its own shocking, surreal kind of way.

If only....

Just jump girl...at least seeing Thorin's face at an elven girl showing up would have been entertaining, if not exactly, er, canon....LaughCoolAngelic

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 4 2015, 6:24pm

Post #19 of 23 (1526 views)
Shortcut
*snicker* [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL!SlySlySly

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 4 2015, 6:57pm

Post #20 of 23 (1515 views)
Shortcut
I can't help it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin has my heart and soulCool, but that doesn't mean I don't look around while he's up at Erebor picking out whatever bling-ring he's wearing today....so:

I'm no great fan of the Tauriel/Kili thing anyway, but thanks to the skill of the actors and an often-terrific script, I actually think this separation scene was really well done.
So every time I see the ridiculously beautiful KiliTongue looking back, wind blowing in his hair, so *besotted* in my head this VOICE starts screaming "Go after him! Go after him! What, elves can't swim!!!!! OMG you *______________*" *puts head down and cries* CoolEvilLaugh

LOL gotta love those DurinsWink - may be some cheese here and there, but it's PREMIUM, high-calorie, top grade ARTISAN cheese TongueTongueTongue

Cool

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 4 2015, 8:14pm

Post #21 of 23 (1482 views)
Shortcut
mmmm, premium cheese! [In reply to] Can't Post

Did someone say "Cheese?"

Step away from the cheese, and no one gets hurt!

(Shamelessly steals Avandel's pic, snigger!)

"Tauriel, you make me feel alive - and your hair is almost as nice as mine! You'd fit in well with the Hair of Durins!"

"And just WHAT were you THINKING???"

Avandel
Half-elven

Aug 5 2015, 2:00am

Post #22 of 23 (1437 views)
Shortcut
Nice pictures! [In reply to] Can't Post

Uh-oh.....

Oh, yes, Precious, "premium" doesn't even BEGIN to cover it.....TongueLaughAngelic

Wet or dry.....CoolHeart

The dwarves just have it....LaughWinkTongue

Wink

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 5 2015, 1:54pm

Post #23 of 23 (1371 views)
Shortcut
Bwahahahaha!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Look, they're Dwarves, they're supposed to be hairy!"

The Hair of Durins - oh, my!EvilHeartHeartHeart

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.