Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you love going to fairs and festivals?
Poll: Do you love going to fairs and festivals?
I love fairs and festivals and go every year
I go to my favorites but skip the rest
I go sometimes
Haven't gone since I was a child
Went once, never again
Not really interested
Other?
View Results (33 votes)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 1 2015, 12:54pm

Post #1 of 13 (2003 views)
Shortcut
Do you love going to fairs and festivals? Can't Post

It's that Fair and Festival time of year here in Ohio and I spent yesterday at the state fair, surrounded by funnel cakes, deep fried oreos, corn-on-the-cob, pig races, sheep shearing, cattle shows, ax throwing, baking contests, crazy spinning rides, games, etc. ...and of course, our traditional and beloved Butter Cow display. But we also have county fairs and festivals of all sorts - pumpkin festivals, bratwurst festivals, corn festivals, harvest festivals, heritage days, Oktoberfest, the Renaissance Festival, and lots more.

Do you like fairs and festivals? What are they like in your part of the world? I would love to hear what the rest of the world is doing at their fairs and festivals while we're eating fried dough sprinkled with sugar and watching The Lumberjack Show. Smile

Gianna
Rohan

Aug 1 2015, 7:00pm

Post #2 of 13 (1941 views)
Shortcut
I sorta enjoy them, when I actually go... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in southwestern Ontario most small towns have agricultural fairs in the fall, including my town. Homecraft, crops, livestock and poultry displays are the best part of it; never watched the 4-H shows or demolition derby, and I only patronize the midway every couple of years. (Not a fan of having my stomach thrown completely out of routine... Smile)

Ottawa Valley stepdancing is a big thing around here too, so we go to quite a few stepdancing/fiddle competitions. Extremely amusing trying to figure out which dancer's legs go the fastest. Laugh

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2015, 3:47am

Post #3 of 13 (1913 views)
Shortcut
Other [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy fairs and festivals, but, for various and sundry reasons, I haven't been to any in quite a long time. The Tulsa area offers a surprisingly wide range of events, but I just don't get the chance to go. The last time was almost ten years ago when I met friends from work at Mayfest, an arts and crafts fair that also has food and music. I bought a suitable-for-framing, matted block of stamps from New Zealand with guess what on them. Laugh

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 2 2015, 11:32am

Post #4 of 13 (1897 views)
Shortcut
Ottawa step dancing [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to YouTube that! Looks pretty great and reminded me of clog dancing and Irish step dancing (I'm not an expert so hope I didn't just inadvertently insult anyone). This is the weekend of our Irish Festival up in Dublin, so there will be lots of Irish dancing and music up there. Interesting note in our newspaper a few days ago - it's now legal to wear your pistol on your hip at the Irish Festival as long as you have an open carry license. Since part of the appeal of the festival are the 'beverages' I'm not sure if that is the brightest idea to ever come down the pike but hopefully no one will actually do it.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 2 2015, 11:33am

Post #5 of 13 (1897 views)
Shortcut
Lucky you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never see anything LOTR or Hobbit related around here, even at RenFest. Very sad. Frown

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 3 2015, 2:58pm

Post #6 of 13 (1880 views)
Shortcut
You bet! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I'm doing a lot more sitting these days.

A few: Scarborough Renaissance Festival, Muenster Texas Germanfest, Wichita County Fair, Texas State Fair, Bluegrass Music Festival, Texas-Oklahoma Fair, Falls Fest, Texas Ranch Roundup, Top of Texas Art Show, Sheppard Air Force Base Officers' Spouses' Hanger Holiday Craft Fair, Texas High Performance Auction/ Trade Show/ Swap Meet, Arts Alive! Home and Garden Festival, Red River Wine Festival, Faith City Kennel Club Dog Show, and the Wichita Falls Zombie Crawl (I always end up getting caught and eaten by the zombies.)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 3 2015, 4:18pm

Post #7 of 13 (1870 views)
Shortcut
I'm impressed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those all sound like fun and good times. Smile

And I had a nice surprise at the Irish Festival yesterday - they had two Irish Bog Ponies there from a farm here in Ohio that is helping to restock the breed. Adorable. Heart

RosieLass
Valinor

Aug 3 2015, 4:56pm

Post #8 of 13 (1867 views)
Shortcut
I have no objection to them. [In reply to] Can't Post

And if someone really wanted to take me to one, I'd go and probably enjoy myself.

But I've become such a homebody that I'd really just prefer to stay home.

Annael
Immortal

Aug 6 2015, 4:12pm

Post #9 of 13 (1807 views)
Shortcut
I live in a tourist town and oh lordy [In reply to] Can't Post

seems like we have a festival every other weekend. Locals know to stay away from downtown/the waterfront when one is going on! But some are too much fun to avoid, so I park uptown & walk & just enjoy the madness.

The Wooden Boat Festival is our biggest. We are a town of 8000 that swells to around 30,000 for the WBF. I go about every fifth year. The annual Film Festival is pretty good! And the new Steampunk Festival is growing yearly.

Here's the full list:
January
Strange Brewfest

February
Shipwright's Regatta

March
PT PlayFest
Victorian Heritage Festival
Chamber Music Festival

April
Farmers Market Opens
Kitchen Tour
JeffCo Expo

May
Rotary Auction
Rhody Festival
Rhody Run
Hood Canal Shrimpfest

June
Chili Cook-Off
Classic Mariner's Regatta
Steampunk
Rat Island Regatta
Rakers Car Show
Fiddle Tunes Festival

July
Jazz Port Townsend
Festival of American Fiddle Tunes
PT Writers’ Conference
Concerts on the Dock

August
Acoustic Blues Festival
Summer Cider Day
Jefferson County Fair
Uptown Street Fair
Classic Car Show
Shakespeare in the Park
Art Port Townsend
Kayak Rendezvous

September
Wooden Boat Festival
Crafts By the Dock Arts Fair
Jefferson County Farm Tour
PT Film Festival

October
Kinetic Skulpture Race
Downtown Trick or Treat

November
Arts & Craft Fair
Woodworker's Show

December
Victorian Holidays

One of them is pretty much just for locals, our Rhody Fest, and involves a week of events like the Pet Parade, the Kiddie Parade, and bed races between different organizations (seems like the hospital always wins, they're used to moving beds around). I often take part in the 12 K run/walk with friends, and go see the big parade that finishes it off. My favorite participants are the women who dance with lawn chairs, but every year there's something new and wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7mjRyFdsXs

(This post was edited by Annael on Aug 6 2015, 4:16pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 6 2015, 8:33pm

Post #10 of 13 (1801 views)
Shortcut
We generally go to the county fair, though we missed it this year. [In reply to] Can't Post

Uncle Baggins is more interested than I am. There's a carnival with rides, and I like to ride the carousel and ferris wheel and to wander among the others. There are 4H projects, quilts, animals like horses and cows and sheep and chickens. We like watching some of the horse activities; it takes me back to the days when I was a horse-crazy kid who never got to see real horses much. I wish I could bring that kid with me to watch. Sometimes there are fireworks at night, but sometimes the weather prevents them.

We used to go to the Ren Fest every year, a hundred miles south of us in Larkspur, Colorado. It was great fun, but also very hot and dusty, and at my age I've lost my enthusiasm. My best memory was the time a bunch of us folk dancers went down together. A random strolling band played "Mairie's Wedding" and we lined up and did the country dance that goes with that tune. People thought we were part of the entertainment, but we were really just visitors like anybody else.

Oh, and we used to perform at a state "folklife festival", some 35 years ago. That was really fun too. There were groups from all over the world, including some great fire dancers and players of big loud drums. We would do usually Turkish and Bulgarian dances.

I guess Pridefest kind of counts. We still go to that every year in Denver. It's an amazing parade. One year Uncle Baggins got invited to a bear party, but politely declined. He was flattered to be asked, though.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Aug 6 2015, 8:38pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 6 2015, 11:38pm

Post #11 of 13 (1786 views)
Shortcut
No festival of Twilight in the Park? [In reply to] Can't Post

*flees*

Annael
Immortal

Aug 7 2015, 12:21am

Post #12 of 13 (1783 views)
Shortcut
we let Forks do that [In reply to] Can't Post

they're at the other end of the county and there's a mountain range in between, luckily Sly

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Aug 17 2015, 1:41am

Post #13 of 13 (1692 views)
Shortcut
fairly fun [In reply to] Can't Post

The local York PA fair is, I think, the oldest in the country.

When I was a kid, it was all about the farm animals and produce and funnel cake with a few rides and games.

When I got to adulthood, my dad got fed up with it muttering something about "gone too commercial".

I've enjoyed the local Renn Faire too, but having done living history with SCA and Longship Company and its related early medieval history group. I found the Renn faire just didn't stack up to doing your own thing.

Now funnel cake... that's something else...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.