The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Bilbo Baggins Needle-Felted Wool Sculpture Doll

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Jul 31 2015, 12:11pm

Post #1 of 16 (6254 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo Baggins Needle-Felted Wool Sculpture Doll Can't Post

It's been a few months since I posted photos of the finished Thorin doll (see thread here), but I've finally finished the Bilbo doll to go with him. This is a needle-felted wool sculpture doll, which means that Bilbo is non-poseable. He is made of 100% wool roving. There is no wire armature or form of any kind serving as a base. He is solid wool. I used .40 and .42 gauge needles to make him. There is a total of 65 hours of work in this doll (over the course of a few months). Bilbo stands 8-5/8" tall and weighs 2-3/4 ounces (with his empty backpack). My sister made the belt and backpack out of leather. They are hand sewn and have handmade working buckles! Bilbo has special souvenirs from his adventure stowed inside his backpack. Souvenirs include a bag of Erebor coins, a blue glass bottle from Laketown, his contract, Thorin's map and the red book. We're still finishing the red book, so photos of the souvenirs will be posted soon!

I have really big photos posted of Bilbo on my website here: http://sarahbethonline.com/fogleberries/bilbo.html

My sister and I are working on making a set of these dolls featuring Bilbo, Thorin and the whole company of dwarves. We're working on multiple dolls at a time, so I'll post photos as one is finished. Bombur and Bifur are the dwarves that are currently "in the works", with Bombur set to get started any day! Everyone is going to be wearing their original travelling costume. Bilbo is the only odd man out, and that is because his final outfit is my very favorite --- and he could have a backpack full of souvenirs!

Regards,
Sarah

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Jul 31 2015, 5:31pm

Post #2 of 16 (6225 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just looking at your previous post of your other work and they are all so beautiful! How many characters does this make of how many you've done?!

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Jul 31 2015, 6:39pm

Post #3 of 16 (6226 views)
Shortcut
Felted Dolls [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks! This means that we have actually finished two of the fourteen members of Thorin's Company (being Bilbo and Thorin). I have also made Elrond, Tauriel and Beorn as felted dolls. Those three are not made to the same scale as Thorin and Bilbo, because the elves would have to be very large dolls to be the correct scale to Thorin. That's not to mention anything about Beorn! :) The felted Beorn doll is actually felted to 1:12 scale. My sister would like to make a diorama of Beorn's house in the 1:12 scale, so that's what the doll is for.

After making the dwarves, my sister would really like a Legolas doll (to go with Tauriel), and my Mom has requested a Bard doll. So, it appears that I'll be working on Middle Earth characters for quite some time! :)

Did you see the photos of the miniature dolls that my sister and I made of Bard and the "Bardlings"? I've got more photos of miniature Middle Earth dolls here: http://sarahbethonline.com/...ins/middleearth.html

By the way, Thorin and Bilbo are down at the State Fair this week! :)
Sarah

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Jul 31 2015, 11:32pm

Post #4 of 16 (6212 views)
Shortcut
I love [In reply to] Can't Post

Your Bard and family! I think your Sigrid is very pretty (you can tell I like Sigrid by my Avatar!)Wink

I also like your five hobbits! Their all so beautiful!!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Aug 1 2015, 5:17am

Post #5 of 16 (6201 views)
Shortcut
Amazing work, as always! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was expecting a new post to show up soon, and you didn't disappoint! Thanks for sharing your projects with us, Barrel Rider. It does more good than you know. =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Aug 1 2015, 11:28am

Post #6 of 16 (6189 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! That's sweet of you to say. It will be interesting to see which dwarves are the favorites once the whole set is done. We're really excited about making Bifur, because he has cool outfit accessories. The ax in his head is going to be challenging, but we think that we've come up with a good way to do it. Balin is already about half finished, and seeing how he is going to look, our guess is that Balin and Bombur are going to be the "favorites" as dolls. There is something really cute about the round tummies! I'll be sure to post photos of the rest as they are finished. Also, I always post photos on my blog, too. That is here: http://littlekumquat.blogspot.com

OldestDaughter: How really fun to meet up with another fan of the Bardlings! My sister is really partial to Bain. I like the girls an awful lot. When it comes to the mini dolls, I suppose that I'm just a little partial to Tilda, but that is mostly because of her very small size. They were really a lot of fun to make, because they have all the colors and embroidery. We actually listed them on Etsy some months ago, but no one ever e-mailed us about them. We were beginning to feel bad that there weren't other Bardling fans out there! :) I really like their boots!

Thanks for the nice comments! I'm glad to share the photos where others can appreciate the Hobbit characters, too. I show them to all my friends, but we really only know two others that like/know the Hobbit. :)

Regards,
Sarah

(This post was edited by Barrel Rider on Aug 1 2015, 11:34am)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Aug 1 2015, 1:33pm

Post #7 of 16 (6179 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm am a very big fan of the Bardlings! So are my siblings! I thought your little Tilda was adorable, I like it that you got their BOFA outfits for your dolls. I think your talent is incredible and I'll be looking forward to looking at more of your Hobbit characters!Smile

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 8 2015, 12:16am

Post #8 of 16 (6116 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

Your work is really exquisite. Love it. Smile

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Aug 11 2015, 11:36am

Post #9 of 16 (5990 views)
Shortcut
State Fair Results for Thorin and Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks very much to everybody who has responded or taken the time to contact me. I'm glad that others can enjoy these dolls, too! I just wanted to post the results from the State Fair. :) Thorin won first place in Needle-Felting, and Bilbo won Second Place. Thorin also won Best of Show for all of Felting! Here is a photo of the dolls on display. Thanks again for all the comments!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Aug 12 2015, 2:44am

Post #10 of 16 (5953 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd have been surprised if your work hadn't earned you top honors! It's the best I've seen. =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Kim
Valinor

Aug 12 2015, 3:01am

Post #11 of 16 (5950 views)
Shortcut
That's fantastic - congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for sharing with us - I applaud the judges' excellent decisions! Smile

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Aug 12 2015, 10:16pm

Post #12 of 16 (5890 views)
Shortcut
Congrats! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy for you!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 14 2015, 2:17am

Post #13 of 16 (5816 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations - and well-deserved! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Maciliel
Valinor

Aug 30 2015, 12:38am

Post #14 of 16 (5420 views)
Shortcut
extraordinary! [In reply to] Can't Post

stunning! true likenesses in a medium not particularly suited for likenesses. quite a challenge, and you did it! beautiful!

thank you for sharing. :)

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 7 2015, 1:32am

Post #15 of 16 (5319 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

And well-deserved! It's amazing how accurately you captured their likenesses. I love Bilbo's pose too! Beautiful work. Congratulations on your awards!

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Sep 8 2015, 12:18pm

Post #16 of 16 (5289 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, everybody! I appreciate the nice comments. Picking out the particular poses is always a tricky thing, because I want each character to look like themselves. My sister and I spend a lot of time going through scenes and photos trying to decide who should stand which way. We just found a position for Kili last week! We also managed to get a teeny-tiny black stone that looks just like his rune stone. My sister is going to engrave it, and the doll will have it in his hand. :)

Regards,
Sarah

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.