The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How Does Your Garden Grow?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How Does you Garden Grow?
Sideways
Only in my head
Flowers only (small-medium scale)
Flowers only (large scale) neighbors think they live next to a garden center
Flowers and veggies (small-medium scale)
Flowers and veggies (large scale)
Flowers and Veggies and Trees (oh my!)
Indoors
Community Garden
Patio/top of building
Straight down
Other
View Results (40 votes)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2015, 5:37am

Post #76 of 94 (4493 views)
Shortcut
Considering how often [In reply to] Can't Post

the WtR thread has threatened to turn into a weekly garden report over the past few years (happy memories, those gardening updates), I agree with some of the other folks here - give it a go!

One thing I try to do is extend my season with row covers and mulch. It sorta-kinda works, so I do have some veggies that last through our winters (USDA Zone 5 - our lowest winter temperatures are -20 to -15 F - up from Zone 4 less than a decade ago). It's fun to see what makes it through the cold, wind and snow - more so when new onion and carrot sprouts appear far earlier in the spring than they 'should'!

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2015, 12:53pm

Post #77 of 94 (4478 views)
Shortcut
Still sticking to flowers [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd make a lousy pioneer wife Tongue Although I do have 1 tomato plant and five raspberry bushes (I really like raspberries). For the most part though, what gardening abilities I have are channeled into my flowerbeds, which are mostly the hardiest, most easy-care flowers I can find plus a few roses that are not necessarily the most care free types. I love sitting outside with my kitties and a cup of tea, and right now this is my view from my favorite chair. We've had huge amounts of rain this summer and this past week is the first dry week in a long time, so the flowers have been very happy and I haven't had to water even the ones in pots until a few days ago. Lots and lots of lawn mowing though! Crazy

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 1:29pm

Post #78 of 94 (4470 views)
Shortcut
That's an amazing view! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2015, 2:04pm

Post #79 of 94 (4469 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not very big, but it's my own little patch of something pretty to look at. Smile And my black fingernail from resetting those flagstones last spring has finally grown out - ahhh, the joys of gardening. Smile Tongue

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 29 2015, 3:43pm

Post #80 of 94 (4465 views)
Shortcut
Hi, Cirashala! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd noticed your absence. Glad you're doing better. Smile

About that watering...Are you watering 30 minutes each night?
If so, I would suggest altering that to watering until you've hit one inch and only doing it once a week, or whenever things start to wilt. It's better to water deeply and infrequently, rather than lightly and frequently. It makes the roots go deeper for their water, and results in stronger plants. Just stick a rain gauge out there and make a note of how long it takes for the sprinkler to hit one inch. The sprinkler I use takes an hour, but each one is different, so yours might be faster or slower.

In addition, watering at night can cause problems, too. Fungus and other diseases can get started that way. I would suggest watering in the early evening starting around six-ish. If you can't get all the sections watered in one evening, put it off until the next evening. Since you don't have watering restrictions, that should be feasible. Watering in the early morning is good, too. I'd start that around six-ish, as well.

My garden sounds a lot like yours, though, but that's only due to my laziness. Blush We started out with nice, mild, wet weather, but now it's freakin' hot again. There's nothing in it now but grass, and we've let the horses in to "weed" it for us. LaughCool My corn did make some nice ears, but that's about it. I planted the tomatoes and peppers way too late and they never amounted to anything before burning up.

I'm with you on extreme heat. It doesn't even have to be extreme anymore for it to bother me.

Oh, well, here's to next season!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 4:55pm

Post #81 of 94 (4455 views)
Shortcut
For you guys in unbearable blazing heat [In reply to] Can't Post

Shade cloth or row cover over the plants can really help. The usual is 80-85% light transmission but it keeps the scorch down and helps the soil itself not to lose moisture. Garden sites sell it in various sizes.

Its hideous here today, 90 with ~90% humidity. I just weeded a bit and watered the tomatoes and eggplants and next is AC on and pool.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 29 2015, 5:45pm

Post #82 of 94 (4447 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, shade cloth is on the to-do list. [In reply to] Can't Post

See also, "laziness". TongueLaugh

I have a really tall garden fence and plan to apply the shade cloth across the top, roof-like. That way, I get shade, too.

You know, for when I'm doing all that work.

(This post was edited by Alassëa Eruvande on Jul 29 2015, 5:47pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 12:35am

Post #83 of 94 (4418 views)
Shortcut
Not laziness - to much Real Life. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
See also, "laziness". TongueLaugh

I have a really tall garden fence and plan to apply the shade cloth across the top, roof-like. That way, I get shade, too.

You know, for when I'm doing all that work.

I feel you. I love bird netting because it gives me a crop but what a royal PIA. Framing for it is key. If I had planned better everything would be under cover somehow.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 12:45am

Post #84 of 94 (4415 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful Elarie! [In reply to] Can't Post

A pleasure to look at. Cool

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jul 30 2015, 10:27pm

Post #85 of 94 (4350 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

You have wonderful lilies...!

Here are some of my martagon lilies and - I don't know, are those orange ones the same as your orange Asiatic lily? I'm not exactly sure about the difference between Asiatic lilies and daylilies. Blush Must do more lily research.

I have no idea how long it will take my little cherry tree to get from four to, say, forty berries... Tongue

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 10:45pm

Post #86 of 94 (4348 views)
Shortcut
Lovely! You have mauve lilies too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great minds, m'dear! Cool I know my daylilies rebloom and my Asiatics are a one-shot wonder. That may be the difference. I just moved some of my Asian lilies today, as I placed the three new columnars in the front bed along the walkway. I figure they will be pretty spring bloom and fall interest loaded with apples. I will replant the bulbs and maybe add some more for next year.

Apple wise, I changed my tree order...yet again...Crazy...nixed the early summer apples (strongly vetoed by hubby, I didn't know we had a 'committee', hmmmph) and am thinking of going with some more unique, old time and fall harvesting types - Pitmaston Pineapple and Grimes Golden. Unless I find a stronger cooking apple...but those two interest me. SOOOO many great apples in the world!

I'd love to see pictures once you harvest some of your apples.

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jul 30 2015, 10:49pm

Post #87 of 94 (4348 views)
Shortcut
Sure :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm considering lamium, Jacob's ladder, pulmonaria, penstemon, and coral bells... But they may have to wait until next year. We still need all kinds of things for the house as well as the garden, and the sales have been on in the gardening stores for several weeks now so it would be difficult to find certain plants at this point. But if I get them for next summer - and if there is a gardening thread on TORn at that point (let's hope so Smile) I can be back to report...!

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jul 30 2015, 11:14pm

Post #88 of 94 (4343 views)
Shortcut
Lilies and apples [In reply to] Can't Post

To be honest, I must say that the mauve lilies are some of the many flowers that were left here by the previous owners - BUT I would have purchased some martagon lilies of the same color anyway Smile because my mother used to have them for a long time and they bring back memories. I also like the color! And they (martagons) are beautiful, to me maybe more so than some more modern ones.

If that is the difference between daylilies and Asiatics (thanks!), I have to wait until next year to know, because I have no idea whether those orange ones have been here year after year or if they were just planted last year (before the previous folks knew they had to move). This yard keeps giving me surprises... The most recent one being the fall phlox, also one of my old favorites - the scent takes me right back to childhood summers.

SOOOO many great apples in the world!

Indeed there are - it's a pity that we can't send some taste samples via TORn. Tongue While some of the most known "internationally" cultivated varieties are available everywhere (?) I guess there's no easy way to try some more local/national types. Some of the old Finnish ones are very good as well and I think you would like them - the best apple I have ever tasted anywhere is one of those old ones that grew in my grandfather's garden... I wish I knew what the variety was called, I would go on a mission to buy that tree! (Must ask around, maybe my relatives remember.) Of these we have here, the previous owners said that the fruit are quite sour and better for juice or jams than eaten as such. I'll try both, in time. And once those young saplings grow we should have some sweet apples as well.

I will send pictures as soon as the fruit are ready! Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 11:35pm

Post #89 of 94 (4340 views)
Shortcut
OOOH! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have pink shell lamium - bees love it. And the dark red coral bells, bees love that too. I had penstemon for a bit, but it got outcompeted I think and only lasted 2 seasons.

And great, we can compare apple pics later in season. Cool Maybe our Starling will host a thread. Or the Mayor, or both. We may need 2.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jul 30 2015, 11:41pm)

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2015, 4:15am

Post #90 of 94 (4319 views)
Shortcut
Hear, hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

To both the plants and the gardening thread!

Elarie
Grey Havens

Aug 6 2015, 12:03am

Post #91 of 94 (4181 views)
Shortcut
My first butterfly caterpillar [In reply to] Can't Post

So excited - I've been planting dill, bronze fennel and milkweed this summer and I've got my first butterfly caterpillar - a black swallowtail. Didn't think the plants would be big enough to attract them this year, so a great surprise.

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 7 2015, 6:51pm

Post #92 of 94 (4141 views)
Shortcut
Chard and kale: not bolting! Which is happy news. [In reply to] Can't Post

Midnight Marvel hibiscus in there too. Summer kale can be bitter but nothing sautéing with fresh garlic, fresh lemon and olive oil won't fix. Wink

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 7 2015, 6:53pm

Post #93 of 94 (4140 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful caterpillar! good for you Elarie! [In reply to] Can't Post

I left the broadleaf plantain weed intact in the wildlife area, hoping to get some assorted takers. It got a bit trampled with work this year so maybe next year. In general though with all the birds you have to be a very smart caterpillar to make it around here. Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 7 2015, 6:54pm

Post #94 of 94 (4139 views)
Shortcut
Rambunctious raspberries. // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.