Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Gandalf and Thrain VS. Sauron with extra music (Music Only)

Faleel
Rohan

Jul 29 2015, 8:13pm

Post #1 of 8 (5656 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf and Thrain VS. Sauron with extra music (Music Only) Can't Post

Gkgyver (A member on JWfan) wrote music for the music-less portion of the Gandalf v Sauron scene in DOS and asked Bloodboal (also a JWfan member) if he could host the video on Google Drive, which he did.

and here it is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1NAd4WEjm_DX2FlaGQtcElCTU0/view

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2015, 9:12pm

Post #2 of 8 (5611 views)
Shortcut
nice [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I enjoyed the lack of music during the Gandalf vs Sauron scene, I feel that PJ went a little too far when it came to music-less scenes in the Hobbit overall.

Seeing/hearing something like this is a nice chance of experiencing an alternative take.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 30 2015, 3:19am

Post #3 of 8 (5509 views)
Shortcut
Gkgyver writes some great stuff based on Shore's scores [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always cool to discover his work. Thanks for sharing Cool

The thing that annoys me though is part of the film itself... the whole Sauorn is the Eye is Sauron. It felt so gimmicky and cheap in the theatre, my mind was going "Stop, stop!"

Seriously, with these films, it's like PJ has forgotten that less can be more. LOTR had a lot of subtle moments in filmmaking even during such sequences. TH was more like, let's just use some CG and ramp everything up a notch.

This scene was perfect up until the point the shadow erupted and Sauron appeared in the middle of the flaming eye. After that I felt like I was being hit on the head in order to drive home the fact that this is Sauron. And he's the Eye. And the Eye is Sauron. Ugh!

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

(This post was edited by Earl on Jul 30 2015, 3:20am)

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jul 30 2015, 12:25pm

Post #4 of 8 (5443 views)
Shortcut
There is far too much music in films these days. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a great relief to watch a Hitchcock film, or something from the Billy Wilder era - people who knew how to craft films without going for the easy audience manipulation that a music score can provide. PJ uses music well in his films - I'm glad he didn't burden that scene with music like that in the link.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Imladris18
Lorien

Jul 30 2015, 1:33pm

Post #5 of 8 (5426 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, I usually see positive reactions to this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a nice nod to the fact that, in the books, Sauron isn't just a giant eye on a tower. This was a nice little way to link the iconic eye with what Sauron really is.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 30 2015, 1:45pm

Post #6 of 8 (5422 views)
Shortcut
I agree about the concept... [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, it's the execution that felt too a little too much. The fact that the shadow bursts into a flaming eye with Sauorn in the centre was enough for that connection. It was the quick end-sequence that felt one step too far in execution for me.

I suppose it's a matter of taste... because I also thought the sphere of protection conjured by Gandalf's staff felt too video-gamey. It was too "sharp" for my liking. I preferred the sphere back in the Bridge of Khazad-dum sequence. That was subtle, and yet did not feel any less powerful. But I've really only seen positive reactions to that CG aspect too. So I guess it really is a matter of taste in the end Smile

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

(This post was edited by Earl on Jul 30 2015, 1:46pm)

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jul 31 2015, 4:07pm

Post #7 of 8 (5291 views)
Shortcut
Taste indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was really impressed by the visual treatment of this scene - they got the balance right in my opinion - neither protagonist was using magic as a weapon - it was a battle between the essence of what they are. Sauron's power is psychological - his darkness affects people's minds and causes them to despair; Gandalf represents the opposite. Physical fighting is largely irrelevant. That isn't easy to pull off on screen in a visually spectacular way - I thought it was a great piece of film-making and second only to Smaug as far as the CGI effects in the film.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Faleel
Rohan

Jul 31 2015, 5:27pm

Post #8 of 8 (5285 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I think a big reason he was doing that was to make it clear that the Necromancer is Sauron, not some separate bad guy, because he did not mention the Necromancer at all in the LOTR films.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.