The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Hobbitcon 4

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Jul 23 2015, 5:01am

Post #1 of 21 (17058 views)
Shortcut
Hobbitcon 4 Can't Post

Hobbitcon 4 is scheduled for April 1 -3, 2016 in Bonn, Germany. Some of us that attended the One Last Party are trying to regroup at Hobbitcon. If anyone is interested in joining us, please leave word here or look for my Facebook event at https://www.facebook.com/events/1646529825624749/.

The Hobbitcon website address is http://www.hobbitcon.de/en/. Check it out and give a shout if you would like to join us there.

Thanks,
Janet

Melian

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Jul 24 2015, 3:34pm

Post #2 of 21 (16943 views)
Shortcut
Facebook event update [In reply to] Can't Post

The Facebook event has been deleted. If anyone is interested in pursuing this reunion in Germany, let's just discuss it here. :)

Melian

Niniachel
The Shire

Jul 24 2015, 7:18pm

Post #3 of 21 (16922 views)
Shortcut
yes plz [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to come :)

- Iris

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Jul 24 2015, 7:35pm

Post #4 of 21 (16916 views)
Shortcut
Reunion Status [In reply to] Can't Post

That's great, Iris! The most current information as I understand it is this: confirmed attendees (tickets purchased) are Liisa and Sylvia. I will be buying my ticket as soon as I can confirm a roommate - evidently you have to book your room when you buy your ticket.

Have you purchased your ticket yet?

Melian

MistyMountain
Lorien

Jul 25 2015, 9:20pm

Post #5 of 21 (16836 views)
Shortcut
hint hint [In reply to] Can't Post

My mom, my brother and I have been planning to travel "somewhere" together while my mom is still young enough to travel easily (she is 79). So, I have suggested that wouldn't Germany be a nice destination? And isn't April just the perfect time of year? We will see if they go for the bait...Wink

Sylviawoodelf

Jul 26 2015, 11:48pm

Post #6 of 21 (16753 views)
Shortcut
HobbitCon 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

So I found you. I have bought a silver ticket and sharing 3 nights with Liisa and hopefully Janet. I am working on cosplay dresses for DragonCon with Jazmon and Janice. I am a novice at Cons so open to advice. Keep me posted if there are things I should sign up for ahead.

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Jul 30 2015, 3:09am

Post #7 of 21 (16616 views)
Shortcut
Got my ticket! [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the gold ticket and the hotel for 4 nights. Initially I was thinking about staying longer and going to Prague but now I'm thinking about Amsterdam instead.

** If anyone is interested in extending their vacation and doing some other sightseeing in locations to be determined, please let me know. I'm open to suggestions! :)

Janet

Melian

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Aug 3 2015, 2:31pm

Post #8 of 21 (16435 views)
Shortcut
Cosplay & Costuming [In reply to] Can't Post

If anyone is going to cosplay at Hobbitcon 4 and wants to share their ideas, past experiences, advice for new cosplayers, hints & tips, please do so! :)

I, myself, am new to the whole "con" phenomenon but have already fallen completely in love with it. I have someone helping me with my first real costume (because I have no talent of my own) and am very excited about Hobbitcon 4. My advice is this: costumes don't have to be perfect or extravagant, just have fun with it.

Melian

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Aug 3 2015, 2:41pm

Post #9 of 21 (16432 views)
Shortcut
Lodging / Roommates [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're looking for a roommate for Hobbitcon 4, you can post that listing here. ** DO NOT POST PERSONAL CONTACT INFORMATION IN THIS STRING. USE THE PRIVATE MESSAGE FUNCTION TO CORRESPOND WITH POTENTIAL ROOMMATES! **

* If you have booked a double or triple room and need roommates to fill it, post your name, gender, dates of stay and how many roommates you need.

* If you have NOT booked a room but are looking for a room, post your name/gender and dates desired.

*** Once you fill your room / find a roommate, edit your post subject to say "FILLED"

Melian

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Aug 3 2015, 2:45pm

Post #10 of 21 (16429 views)
Shortcut
Extended Travel?? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to extend my travel plans either before or after Hobbitcon so that I can see more of Germany or Amsterdam or Prague or...somewhere! :) If anyone is interested in extending their travel plans to do other sightseeing in other areas and wants to buddy up, let me know. I'm open to go anywhere for up to two weeks.

Janet

Melian

Tankhera

Aug 5 2015, 6:20am

Post #11 of 21 (16369 views)
Shortcut
HC4 [In reply to] Can't Post

If things work out (*cough,Finances) , I hope to return for HobbitCon 4 and would love to meet up with you all. I have gone the last 2 years so if any of you have any questions about the con/travel/ etc.. Ask away and I'll do best to help you out.

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Aug 5 2015, 4:15pm

Post #12 of 21 (16340 views)
Shortcut

Thank you so much for the very generous offer! There will be many of us traveling to Hobbitcon for the first time. I'm sure we'll all take any advice that we can get. :)

Melian

Tankhera

Aug 6 2015, 6:02am

Post #13 of 21 (16308 views)
Shortcut

For starters, You'll need Euros and great way to save money rather than using your local bank and getting nailed with extra fees, is to use the international ATMs at the airport when you land. Look for something that looks like a RadioShack symbol but with a "B" instead of an R. They don't even charge you a withdraw fee! Woohoo!.. 500 was good for me, but it depends on what you are planning to spend money on at the con (autographs/pics). They do have a ATM at the Maritim Hotel, but it seems to go down or run out of money almost instantly and it's a Holiday weekend, so they leave it as is. Some merchants take credit cards, some do not, so try not to rely on plastic entirely, but use it when you can.

If you need a taxi from the Bonn airport to the Maritim hotel (Bonn), I know the total faire for 2 people is 50 Euro one way and takes about 30 mins. If you arrive in Cologne, around the city, there is a major rail station right next to the cathedral and it's 7 Euro for a train ticket. You'll want the "Olof-Palme-Allee" stop so make sure that is on your route ( I believe it's the 18 Train.. but don't quote me) . It takes a good 45+ minutes from downtown Cologne to the Olof-Palme-Allee stop which is towards the end of line from downtown. The train literally runs underneath the hotel and seems to run all night (it's not that annoying though) but the stop is about 100 yards from the hotel.

Within walking distance of the hotel, (rail system also follows the main road and has numerous stops). There's local gas station exiting the rear of the hotel and down about 2 blocks to the left. To the right out the back, also about 2 blocks down is a Japanese and sushi place, as well a great Italian restaurant. All within an easy 10/15 minute walk. There are not a lot of places off site to eat in the area as it's mainly a large business district and during the con you'll have to by "Bons" which are tickets the hotel will only honor during con hours, but they have a little booth where you can get tickets all day long. T Mobile (aka" Telekom") is on the way to the Japanese place and during the daytime, they are open if you need prepaid cards to upload international minutes, if needed. It'll require a chip ;) If you have a German speaking friend.. Bring them.

Most everyone you'll talk to will speak English but there are occasional language barriers.. and at least at Telekom I seemed to find it difficult. Yay for friends. I think I bought a 15/30$ card which lasted me the weekend. Also, the Rhine is about a 15 minute walk out the front of the Maritim and has a gorgeous park to walk through. There's also a little coffee shop and appeared to be a Chinese café of sorts on that walking route.

The Maritim does have a restaurant and 2 bistro/cafes, but they have odd hours and only serve certain style foods at certain hours. If you are staying at the Maritim, your BREAKFAST is free.. and it's like no other 'breakfast buffet' you've ever experienced. It's.. Amazing and you can totally get your Hobbit on. The piano bar does offer food at times, but at night it's strictly drinks and is a chaotic, but fun, madhouse.I found grabbing snacks and liquids from the local gas station to be a smart idea but unless they offer upon request, the rooms do not have mini fridges. You can rent plug adapters to charge phones etc for a 15 Euro deposit and they don't charge for using the slippers or robes in the bathroom.. Which also had bidets. There's more but if you have specifics, ask away.

I'll call this one the food post XD .. I guess I'm hungry(?)

(This post was edited by Tankhera on Aug 6 2015, 6:12am)

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Aug 6 2015, 6:42pm

Post #14 of 21 (16269 views)
Shortcut

Wow! Thanks for all of that great information! I can see that I'll be picking your brain as the event draws closer. YOU are a wealth of information! :)

Melian

Trulz

Aug 11 2015, 1:59pm

Post #15 of 21 (16077 views)
Shortcut
im looking for a roommate for Hobbitcon 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

I reserved a double room at Bonnox Hotel (15min away by feet),
My name is Therese ,women. it is reservd from 31 of match to 4 of april and im looking for 1 rommate..

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2015, 9:48am

Post #16 of 21 (15428 views)
Shortcut
I will be attending HobbitCon [In reply to] Can't Post

I have gone to all the previous one and I'm also a regular to RingCon. So any questions, just ask. But it looks like most of the things have been answered a little up.

And I was at The One Last Party, so I would love to regroup!

See you in Bonn!

Foedhrass
The Shire

Aug 26 2015, 3:45pm

Post #17 of 21 (15135 views)
Shortcut
Announced... [In reply to] Can't Post

today: Stephen Hunter (Bombur).

So, the announced guests so far are:
- Dean O'Gorman (Fili)
- Adam Brown (Ori)
- John Callen (Óin)
- John Bell (Bain)
- Jed Brophy (Nori)
- Mark Atkin (Thorin stunt double)
- Dallas Barnett (Bill Ferny sr.)
- John Tui (Bolg, in BotFA)
- Stephen Hunter (Bombur)

:)

(This post was edited by Altaira on Apr 20 2016, 3:39am)

MistyMountain
Lorien

Sep 25 2015, 2:45am

Post #18 of 21 (14180 views)
Shortcut
book a room -- where? [In reply to] Can't Post

How can that be a requirement? Suppose you live in Bonn and don't need a hotel room? I am looking at booking thru AirBnB -- lots cheaper!

Melyanna

Oct 10 2015, 12:58am

Post #19 of 21 (13339 views)
Shortcut
Looking for a travel- and roommate [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, I really want to go to Hobbitcon, but I am also completely new to the con-going phenomenon.

I am an 18-year old girl from Denmark, looking for a room/roommate. I haven't bought a ticket yet, but I will do as soon as I find a roommate.

I'm guessing that most of you are from the US, but if there happens to be anyone from Denmark or Germany who is going too, please do contact me, so we could arrange some travelling together. I will probably go by train and I think the 8-12 hour trip can get quite lonely without some company.

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Oct 10 2015, 4:04pm

Post #20 of 21 (13250 views)
Shortcut
Hobbitcon VIER [In reply to] Can't Post

You can also look for roommates at the Facebook group Hobbitcon VIER.

Melian

pleiadeez7
The Shire

Dec 26 2015, 9:00pm

Post #21 of 21 (11576 views)
Shortcut
Extended stay [In reply to] Can't Post

Boy, the time is really flying by. Hobbitcon 4 will be here in no time! I really need to nail down my travel dates but so far haven't found anyone who is planning to stay longer than the con. :{

If anyone out there is interested in going ahead of time or staying after the con to see more of Germany or The Netherlands or Belgium or anywhere of interest, please let me know. I would really like to extend my stay but it's not much fun traveling alone.

If you're interested please contact me privately to discuss further.

Thanks,
Janet

Melian

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.