Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Its the-100%-humidity ... What have YOU been Watching thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Annael
Immortal

Jul 28 2015, 1:27pm

Post #76 of 117 (1953 views)
Shortcut
"We're werewolves not swearwolves!" [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, I know the quote you mean Wink

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 1:30am

Post #77 of 117 (1933 views)
Shortcut
Only in L.A.!!!!!!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Huge spiders that spewed out flames instead of webs due to a volcanic eruption under Los Angeles.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 2:40am

Post #78 of 117 (1927 views)
Shortcut
Recc noted! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
WWDitS: hilarious. Highly recommend. (cool! Cool)

"Majola Snake" stars Juliet Binoche and Kristen Stewart. Binoche plays a famous actress who's been asked to play the part of the older woman in the play that made her famous 20+ years earlier when she played the younger woman who seduces and then abandons the older woman. Stewart is the personal assistant on whom Binoche depends; Both shine. Clearly this is the kind of role (and the kind of direction) that Stewart needs, instead of trying to be a romantic heroine.

It's also a pretty movie, with lots of scenes in the Swiss Alps. The Majola Snake is a real thing: a river of cloud that sometimes pours over the Majola Pass, so you get a bit of a nature documentary thrown in.

I'm surprised, to put it mildly, at KS shining - but good for her. Maybe as you say that's her thing versus the pouty romance thing.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 2:43am

Post #79 of 117 (1924 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the over-the-shoulder comment was there. *POLDARK SPOILER BELOW* [In reply to] Can't Post

-
-
-
-
-
I assume then she got the necklace back? It was damned brave and noble of her to put it up. She shone at that party, in all ways. And somehow Cap'n Blamey looks...handsomer...lately?

Kim
Valinor

Jul 29 2015, 3:36am

Post #80 of 117 (1911 views)
Shortcut
WWDitS: this one's next up in my queue [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully will get to watch it this weekend.

Also watched Paddington last night - definitely a kids movie with more slapstick that I like, but overall it was good hearted.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2015, 3:49am

Post #81 of 117 (1915 views)
Shortcut
Poldark - Random Comments - Possible Spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, Demelza did glow at the Warleggan ball. Don't know whether it was deliberate or coincidence, but in the book the infamous gown from a few eps back was golden, rather than jade. And both the soundtrack and ET refer to that dress as being blue. Dresses these days, who knows what color they are ?? Wink

Loved Demelza telling Ross off on the dance floor because frankly he was behaving like a sanctimonious oaf. And then he saved himself by trumping Sanson at the card table. Anybody else biting their nails during that game?

Brethil, I think Blamey is attractive, too -- so intense! And I also think during their scuffle, Francis is extremely lucky the good Captain didn't also give him a wedgie for good measure. [;) (Despite the fact Francis is such a wimp and a thankless role to play, I do like Kyle Soller and was surprised to learn he's American.)

Okay, Elizabeth-haters, did you catch the smirk she hid after Demelza soundly shut down Ruth T's barb about her father? And she defended Demelza to Francis who's only concern seems to be about the family's image.

Someone should have told George Shark Week is over because, uh oh, he's circling Elizabeth.

Next weekend is the big double ep finale. Brace yourselves, fans, these will be the most intense shows yet.

Hernevernen!!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 4:04am

Post #82 of 117 (1910 views)
Shortcut
Hullo GE! LOADS of Poldark talk, below. [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to see you about! Angelic

I was utterly biting my nails during the card game! Goodness even silly Francis sat up after the share in Wheal Leisure got mentioned! I give him credit, he seemed concerned for Ross. But it was nerve-racking, especially since Ross was NOT at his best. Good thing Demelza was; but then, he still pounced like a tiger on that palmed card. THAT was a sweet moment! Cool And I did note the little smile Elizabeth had...she's not a wholly bad sort, just a bit spoiled and unhappy I think (through her own design, silly girl). GEORGE that utter &^%*&ing, %#^^ed devil! seems out to ruin Francis and/or Ross (who is more in his sights, it surely isn't just about Elizabeth) via the lady. I really cannot stand him, or his telegraphic nasty father.

Blamey is intense! He looked very good with his hair blowing in the wind, and I could see a bit more what Verity sees in him.

Fearing yet awaiting next week! Shocked

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 5:35am

Post #83 of 117 (1890 views)
Shortcut
Was the film properly promoted as being a documentary, I wonder? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2015, 2:59pm

Post #84 of 117 (1887 views)
Shortcut
Do you think... (possible spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

Ross wasn't at his best? I think he planned the whole thing like a military campaign, once he saw how things were going. He knew that cousin of George's is unnaturally lucky. That usually means he cheats. I'm sure Ross came across more than a few card sharks in his time in the army. I think he saw a chance to get George back two-fold - he would get back some of the money lost by exposing a cheat and, more importantly, embarrass George in his own house for harboring a cheat that fleeced fellow gentlemen to further his own gains. It was a tidy set up George had. His cousin rolled the mark for all his assets and then George and his bank step in to take the rest. Daughters with titles were sold for less and he wants his son to have a title and hereditary land.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2015, 3:14pm

Post #85 of 117 (1879 views)
Shortcut
I think Ross was at least partly shamming [In reply to] Can't Post

He couldn't have been as drunk as he was acting if he caught George's cousin's sleight of hand--I do think Ross planned that setup...but on the other hand, he was acting a bit reckless, continuing to insult the judge of the poaching case, who had power of influence over whether Ross will be implicated in the jail incident. And wasn't it after the ball, at the burial, that he said this was the first time in five days he'd been sober? (I'm fuzzy on the chronology, sorry! Crazy)

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 4:21am

Post #86 of 117 (1829 views)
Shortcut
After your first sentence... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I thought you were having a very serious discussion of Friends.

Phew, dodged one there! Angelic

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2015, 4:29am

Post #87 of 117 (1825 views)
Shortcut
Oh geez, no! [In reply to] Can't Post

Watched it once. Couldn't take another. TongueLaugh

_

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 4:39am

Post #88 of 117 (1819 views)
Shortcut
Poor Ross! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Kim
Valinor

Jul 30 2015, 5:49am

Post #89 of 117 (1816 views)
Shortcut
Wait, what!?! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've only watched one episode of Friends? How in the world is that possible! I loved that show - pretty much have them all memorized. Laugh

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2015, 12:36pm

Post #90 of 117 (1789 views)
Shortcut
Sorry... [In reply to] Can't Post

Never could get into it. My favorite show of all time is still M*A*S*H, if that tells you anything. Cool

_

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 3:49pm

Post #91 of 117 (1761 views)
Shortcut
Snort! Could run it on the Discover Channel as a nature special. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
CoolWas the film properly promoted as being a documentary, I wonder?

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 3:56pm

Post #92 of 117 (1768 views)
Shortcut
You raise some great points here (POLDARK SPOILERS!) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Do you think... Ross wasn't at his best? I think he planned the whole thing like a military campaign, once he saw how things were going. He knew that cousin of George's is unnaturally lucky. That usually means he cheats. I'm sure Ross came across more than a few card sharks in his time in the army. I think he saw a chance to get George back two-fold - he would get back some of the money lost by exposing a cheat and, more importantly, embarrass George in his own house for harboring a cheat that fleeced fellow gentlemen to further his own gains. It was a tidy set up George had. His cousin rolled the mark for all his assets and then George and his bank step in to take the rest. Daughters with titles were sold for less and he wants his son to have a title and hereditary land.

I tend to plump for somewhere in the middle of that. I think he was flying by the seat of his pants at first on booze and indignation, but his native wisdom (thankfully) and coordination did not fail him while soused. So yes, I think he was dissimulating for some of it, certainly why he bet Wheal Leisure as it would induce the card shark to go big and induce him to cheat for sure means his mind was clicking away (or else that lunge would have just made Ross look mad or foolish).

So maybe a combination of his prior world knowledge PLUS the additional fact that he doesn't lose his head completely...I still feel like he was a bit boorish at that party, partly from anger but it was being a bit self-indulgent, especially telling off the judge. But then, he exposes the cheater, and gets Demelza's necklace back. So we get the duality of Ross, which I like. Too much white knight becomes boring. Wink

Yes, George and his whole posse are a nasty bunch. His eyeing Elizabeth is creepy too. He manages to be physically attractive but repulsive at the same time - good job on that.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 3:58pm

Post #93 of 117 (1761 views)
Shortcut
Yes...see my answer to DI! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think Ross was at least partly shamming. He couldn't have been as drunk as he was acting if he caught George's cousin's sleight of hand--I do think Ross planned that setup...but on the other hand, he was acting a bit reckless, continuing to insult the judge of the poaching case, who had power of influence over whether Ross will be implicated in the jail incident. And wasn't it after the ball, at the burial, that he said this was the first time in five days he'd been sober? (I'm fuzzy on the chronology, sorry! Crazy)

And your chronology is correct. So he was certainly drunk - but still has more of his faculties than say, Francis would ever have while sober and drinking Red Bull.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 4:00pm

Post #94 of 117 (1760 views)
Shortcut
I'm with DI! Never got into 'Friends' [In reply to] Can't Post

Confession: I've never seen a full episode. Never got over the moon about Seinfeld either - just watched it now and then only if Kramer was the focus.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 4:00pm

Post #95 of 117 (1755 views)
Shortcut
Love M*A*S*H // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Never could get into it. My favorite show of all time is still M*A*S*H, if that tells you anything. Cool

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2015, 5:37pm

Post #96 of 117 (1755 views)
Shortcut
I agree with your assessment, Brethil [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially since Ross was initially so reluctant to visit the gaming room when first approached by George. At some point after that I think he made the decision to take Sanson down. I wonder, too, if it's possible he deliberately indulged in expressing his contempt for Halse to drive him away from the table, thereby making it a purely one on one contest between himself and the shark.

Also, small aside, Cary Warleggan is actually George's uncle, not his father. Don't know that that differentiation really amounts to anything significant other than a scene from ep 2, I think, (which may have been cut out) where George sidles up to Ross and attempts to ingratiate himself by suggesting they have a natural affinity because they're both fatherless. Not that that worked at all on Ross. Cool

Hernevernen!!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 9:17pm

Post #97 of 117 (1740 views)
Shortcut
"Fear the Walking Dead" article [In reply to] Can't Post

I apologize for hijacking the Poldark thread here (Angelic), but wanted to interject some zombie news. Great article here from NY Times:

To Live and Not Die in L.A.: ‘Fear the Walking Dead’ on AMC

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 9:41pm

Post #98 of 117 (1736 views)
Shortcut
WooHoo! (Smarty-pants monkey) [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait! Cool I like the everyday person aspect they are bringing in, versus professionals or semi-pros ready to roll, which is what we see in the later shows once Rick wakes up.

Love such details as including someone of Maori background to complement the actor. Might add another layer of rich detail as well.

AWESOME. Thanks for the link! Angelic

( I will write more later, thunder and lightning rolling in right now.)

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jul 30 2015, 9:42pm)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2015, 10:07pm

Post #99 of 117 (1735 views)
Shortcut
Happy news for Poldark fans [In reply to] Can't Post

AT was recently interviewed by the Huffington Post wherein he confirmed they were going to start shooting Season 2 early in Sept. He also shared that filming would take longer this time because next season will be 10, rather than 8 episodes. Very good news especially considering how many new characters will be introduced. The one negative, of course, is that this may mean a longer wait for it to arrive on US shores. (*sigh*) Yes, I still want everything. Wink

Hernevernen!!

(This post was edited by The Grey Elf on Jul 30 2015, 10:09pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 10:34pm

Post #100 of 117 (1724 views)
Shortcut
Delayed here in the US maybe but still - that's great news! Thanks GE! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
AT was recently interviewed by the Huffington Post wherein he confirmed they were going to start shooting Season 2 early in Sept. He also shared that filming would take longer this time because next season will be 10, rather than 8 episodes. Very good news especially considering how many new characters will be introduced. The one negative, of course, is that this may mean a longer wait for it to arrive on US shores. (*sigh*) Yes, I still want everything. Wink

Yes, I still want everything too: like seeing Richard show up in there in some capacity. Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.