The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Need for a New Topic?

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 28 2015, 9:49pm

Post #1 of 7 (2616 views)
Shortcut
Need for a New Topic? Can't Post

Looking at Which Franchises Can We Discuss in Off-Topic reminded me of something I've been wondering for a while now. The LOTR and Hobbit movies have been made, we have this amazing online community, folks here have SO MUCH that we want to discuss with each other... Would it make sense/be possible to make a new Off-Topic forum for discussing the other works (books, movies, etc) that we're drawn to by the same themes, artists, types of stories, etc, that drew us to Tolkien's work, Jackson et al's interpretations, and this community? Or is it a bridge too far?

These are preliminary thoughts, but I wonder if there would be value/interest in being able to go more in-depth on the boards exploring the influence Tolkien continues to have on what we read, watch and create; the confluences we find between his work and others'; and why it all makes a difference to us as individuals, as a community, and in the world. If nothing else, it might be an outlet for this group of like-minded folks who jump up and down gleefully when we find parallels, knowing nods, and unconscious evocations of something we love in another's work and want to share those little joys and geeky analyses with each other.

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 28 2015, 10:07pm

Post #2 of 7 (2592 views)
Shortcut
Can you explain [In reply to] Can't Post

why a new off-topic board would help with this, instead of posting these discussions on the existing off-topic board?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 28 2015, 10:36pm

Post #3 of 7 (2587 views)
Shortcut
A couple things I've noticed [In reply to] Can't Post

One, that there is some unintentional duplication of topics when someone starts a discussion on a topic that the weekly movie/TV and reading threads have already covered (as seems to have happened to the OP in the thread I mentioned above).

Two, that it's a bit harder to go in-depth discussing a non-Tolkien book or movie on Off-Topic. It can happen, but I wonder if folks would feel freer to engage in richer conversation if there were a separate area for it, one where the purpose is to explore works that Tolkien has influenced and/or inspired in some way. That way, Off-Topic could still function as it currently does, and we could start building on the work we've done establishing this forum while staying true to our roots.

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 28 2015, 11:29pm

Post #4 of 7 (2583 views)
Shortcut
Personally [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the existing Off Topic can accommodate this, but I'll raise the question with the other admins for a discussion.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2015, 5:17am

Post #5 of 7 (2538 views)
Shortcut
Thanks// [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 31 2015, 10:54pm

Post #6 of 7 (2447 views)
Shortcut
Right, we've got a decision. [In reply to] Can't Post

Firstly, we're not going to establish a second Off-Topic board. The current OT board is moving very slowly and a second board will likely kill off activity on the original board.

However, we think we can use the existing board better, so we're going to try a new approach.

Instead of limiting all film discussions to the 'What have you been watching' thread we'll open the board up to allow individual film discussions on top of the weekly thread. We'll do this for two months then see what the community thinks of how well or badly the trial has gone.

I'll pop a sticky note on OT to let the general community know.

Thank you for asking the question, Arandiel. As activity slows down now that the films are winding up, it'll be worth it for us to review from time to time how the discussion boards are operating.

Ataahua's stories

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 1 2015, 3:41am

Post #7 of 7 (2431 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for having the discussion, Ataahua [In reply to] Can't Post

and your fellow Modar!

I suppose the bigger question is, now that the movies are winding down, 'what's next?' I'll be interested to hear what folks think of this trial run, and whether they feel it helps them stay engaged with the boards.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.