Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
**Two Towers read-through - schedule and volunteers needed: could you (yes, YOU :) ) lead a chapter?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 28 2015, 10:42am

Post #1 of 33 (11305 views)
Shortcut
**Two Towers read-through - schedule and volunteers needed: could you (yes, YOU :) ) lead a chapter? Can't Post

In September, we are starting a "read-through" of The Two Towers (Boook III). Each week from 13 September to 22 November we'll discuss a chapter. We need 'Chapter leaders' . As chapter leader, your job is to:

* Read the chapter
* At the start of your week, write one or more posts about it, in order to get the discussion started.
* Take part in the discussion

That's basically it - it's up to the chapter leader to start the discussion in the way he or she feels comfortable with, and thinks is best. For example, some chapter leaders decide to break a chapter down into parts, starting each part with a new post. But others do it on one post. There's no one 'right way'.

You don't need to be an expert on this chapter (or on anything else) - if you've read the chapter & can make a few comments, you're good. Comment can most certainly be about your personal reactions to the chapter: they really don't have to be (for example) ultra-learned literately criticism. Being very learned is entirely optional.

You don't have to research or write a lot. In fact some feedback from our last read-through was that long initial posts could be a problem: some folks were instantly faced with more than they had time to read, & so couldn't join the discussion. Long initial posts also risk making chapter-leading look like it must always be a lot of scholarly work, which we worry will deter volunteers from coming forward in future. So shorter starter posts are definitely welcome (you can always lob further ideas into the discussion as it proceeds).

You don't have to have led chapters before In fact, it would be great to have new leaders, and their fresh perspectives. Also, Book II seemed to me to rely a little worryingly on 'the usual suspects' When fewer people are doing more, it always looks like things are becoming unsustainable.

Here is the schedule. Some chapters are already 'taken' (thanks for that), but there are plenty left. Please feel free to volunteer, or to comment or ask questions by replying to this thread. You can send me a private message if you prefer. But quite likely whatever you want to ask is what someone else is wondering - so post publicly if you feel you can.).

week beginning # Chapter # Chapter name # leader
13-Sep-15 # I # The Departure of Boromir # MirielCelebel
20-Sep-15 # II # The Riders of Rohan # Brethil
27-Sep-15 # III # The Uruk-hai # cats16
04-Oct-15 # IV # Treebeard # Mikah
11-Oct-15 # V # The White Rider # Entwife Wandlimb
18-Oct-15 # VI # The King of the Golden Hall # squire
25-Oct-15 # VII # Helm's Deep # arithmancer
01-Nov-15 # VIII # The Road to Isengard #
08-Nov-15 # IX # Flotsam and Jetsam #
15-Nov-15 # X # The Voice of Saruman # jochenkeen
22-Nov-15 # XI # The Palantir #

I'm eager to fill all 11 slots - but of course it's most pressing to find leaders for the early chapters.

I'd also be happy to hear from anyone who is willing to be 'on the bench' - that is willing to be contacted & asked to lead a chapter at short notice if one of the chapter leaders has to withdraw (e.g. because of a personal emergency).

~~~~~~

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

My avatar image s looking a bit blue, following the rumbling of my 2 "secrets" Wink : http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=855358#855358

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Sep 14 2015, 1:20pm)

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Jul 28 2015, 2:54pm

Post #2 of 33 (11185 views)
Shortcut
I am willing to participate [In reply to] Can't Post

I will volunteer to do The Departure of Boromir if it is in fact still available. I hope you plan on doing Book 4 as well because The Window on the West is one of my favorite chapters in the whole trilogy and I'd volunteer for it also!

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 28 2015, 6:00pm

Post #3 of 33 (11177 views)
Shortcut
Kerching! Departure of Boromur sold! Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

We should certainly get on to Book IV in time, so there will be a chance to do "Window" then!

~~~~~~

Join us for a read-through of The Two Towers (Book III of Lord of the Rings) in the Reading-Room - 13 September- 29 November 2015.
Schedule etc: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=864064#864064

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 28 2015, 6:03pm

Post #4 of 33 (11174 views)
Shortcut
I am overwhelmed by the subtlety of your footer there, Wizard. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hooray on signups! Cool Great to see everyone!

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 28 2015, 8:24pm

Post #5 of 33 (11169 views)
Shortcut
Subtle and understated, like me. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

If anyone wants to design alternative logos, then that's fine by me Smile

~~~~~~

Join us for a read-through of The Two Towers (Book III of Lord of the Rings) in the Reading-Room - 13 September- 29 November 2015.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 12:41am

Post #6 of 33 (11145 views)
Shortcut
Goodness no. Its perfect! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 29 2015, 12:50am

Post #7 of 33 (11143 views)
Shortcut
what lotr would look like if designed by atari circa 1975... // [In reply to] Can't Post

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 5:31am

Post #8 of 33 (11133 views)
Shortcut
*wanders into room* [In reply to] Can't Post

Hullo there!

I'm going to do everything I can to make it all the way through this one, unlike FOTR. Really regrettable that I couldn't jump back in! Unsure

Could I possibly do The Uruk-hai? I think that date should work well for me, looking ahead.

Thanks for keeping this together, everyone! I'm really glad things are still moving onward, in proper Tolkien spirit.

Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 10:30am

Post #9 of 33 (11111 views)
Shortcut
Thanks cats16 And A Uruk- High 5 to you for taking "Uruk-hai" // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 1:24pm

Post #10 of 33 (11104 views)
Shortcut
Is it really family-friendly to discuss a bunch of orcs stoned on drugs? [In reply to] Can't Post

We should instead consider the Uruk-low, except that might be a little too depressing.

Might I suggest discussing the Uruk-medium as a happy compromise?

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 1:43pm

Post #11 of 33 (11106 views)
Shortcut
You don't want to say "medium" to the Uruks.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not after that unfortunate business of the escaped dwarf soothsayer. They're still terrified that Saruman will find out there's a small medium at large....

~~~~~~

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 5:21pm

Post #12 of 33 (11080 views)
Shortcut
OMG, that is classic!! [In reply to] Can't Post

there's a small medium at large....

SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile !!!!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 8:22pm

Post #13 of 33 (11062 views)
Shortcut
No, it may give them all kinds of ideas. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You don't want to say "medium" to the Uruks....

Uruk 1: "Hmmm, Ugluk looks a bit worn down."
Uruk 2: Looks over. "Yeah. Medicine or dinner?"
Uruk 1: "I say dinner. Make my cut medium."
Uruk 2 sharpens knife.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 8:26pm

Post #14 of 33 (11057 views)
Shortcut
And besides, being whacked over the head with your ouija board often offends... // [In reply to] Can't Post

What was this thread about again? Oh, yeah...

~~~~~~

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 8:54pm

Post #15 of 33 (11058 views)
Shortcut
Atari? What makes you think that....? [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't see it at all, myself Tongue

~~~~~~

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 4:18am

Post #16 of 33 (11017 views)
Shortcut
Hahaha // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

noWizardme
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 8:27am

Post #17 of 33 (11020 views)
Shortcut
**Latest chapter leader board (30 July 2015)** [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to everyone who has volunteered so far, we have leaders for the first 4 chapters and so Boromir will be able to Depart on schedule. There are still chapters wanting leaders from 11 October onwards, so nobody needs to feel they've come too late to join the Fellowship. It would be especially nice to get a leader for Chapter V The White Rider, as then we have a batting order up until 25 October.

week # Chapter # Chapter name # leader
11-Oct-15 # V # The White Rider #
25-Oct-15 # VII # Helm's Deep #
15-Nov-15 # X # The Voice of Saruman #

Obviously I'l be pleased to have a full team of chapter leaders as soon as we can, and the recruiting office definitely remains open for further volunteers. But I do appreciate that some folks can't commit quite yet. For example, maybe someone needs to wait and see how busy they are in October/November, or wants to wait and see what character the discussion has this time. So I propose we say we'll definitely start on 13th September, and if necessary I'll re-advertise a bit later to fill those later slots.

Thanks again to the chapter leaders who have volunteered so far - Heart of course we can't do these read-throughs without people coming forward to start the conversations, and so chapter leaders deserve our gratitude.

~~~~~~

jochenkeen
The Shire

Aug 2 2015, 10:39pm

Post #18 of 33 (10923 views)
Shortcut
The Voice of Saruman? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be happy to sign up for the Voice of Saruman if it is still free!

Thanks for getting this together - I'm looking forward to it.

Matthew (aka Jochenkeen)

Mikah
Lorien

Aug 4 2015, 11:51pm

Post #19 of 33 (10856 views)
Shortcut
GGRREAT! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that is great news! I am looking forward to your take on The Voice of Saruman! It is one of my favorite chapters!

Entwife Wandlimb
Lorien

Aug 6 2015, 11:43pm

Post #20 of 33 (10791 views)
Shortcut
The White Rider [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll take it if it's open. Thanks!

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 7 2015, 5:01am

Post #21 of 33 (10780 views)
Shortcut
Lovely to see all the sign ups! // [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Half-elven

Aug 7 2015, 7:52am

Post #22 of 33 (10774 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this - The Voice of Saruman is yours! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks very much! Apologies for taking some time to reply - it wasn't lack of enthusiasm, it was that i was away Wink

~~~~~~

noWizardme
Half-elven

Aug 7 2015, 7:54am

Post #23 of 33 (10776 views)
Shortcut
Thanks - The White Rider it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a good chapter, and of course it means we're in the good position of having leaders all the way to 24 October. (Sorry it has taken me a while to respond - I've been up a mountain...)

~~~~~~

noWizardme
Half-elven

Aug 7 2015, 8:04am

Post #24 of 33 (10779 views)
Shortcut
**latest (chapter) leader board - situation on 7 August 2015 [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, this is good - I go off for a few days and come back to more sign-ups! We now have leaders all the way down to 24 October.

Chapters still free if you would like to volunteer are:

25-Oct-15 # VII # Helm's Deep
01-Nov-15 # VIII # The Road to Isengard
08-Nov-15 # IX # Flotsam and Jetsam
22-Nov-15 # XI # The Palantir

...and the schedule to date is:

week starts # Chapter # Chapter name # leader

11-Oct-15 # V # The White Rider # Entwife Wandlimb 

25-Oct-15 # VII # Helm's Deep #

15-Nov-15 # X # The Voice of Saruman # jochenkeen 

~~~~~~

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Aug 9 2015, 5:02pm

Post #25 of 33 (10714 views)
Shortcut
Helm's Deep! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be happy to lead that chapter.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.