The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Why was the Hobbit so great for you?

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Jul 28 2015, 2:26pm

Post #1 of 2 (1085 views)
Shortcut
Why was the Hobbit so great for you? Can't Post

Maybe you read it as a kid and it just stuck with you. Maybe you read it as an adult and just fell in love. Maybe it introduced you to the fantasy genre in general or you found it while reading other fantasy stories. Whatever the reason, however you came across it, it affected all of us on this forum or we wouldn't be here. I am taking a novel writing class online and one of our assignments was to answer six questions (more like four, one and two ask the title and author) about our favorite novel and naturally I chose The Hobbit. Tell me, if you had to answer these questions about The Hobbit, what would your responses be?? Happy posting!
  1. Name of the novel: The Hobbit
  2. Author of the novel: J.R.R. Tolkien
  3. A brief description as to why you selected this novel: I have several favorite books but this one is probably the one that started it all for me. I read it as a kid and my imagination just exploded. I could not stop writing and I just wanted to read more and more.
  4. Reason(s) why this is one of your favorites: There are thematic material in this book that just surpasses what can be found in other books. I'm talking other fantasy novels, other children's book (since this is technically classified as a children's book); this book just has it all. What kid doesn't want to read about a gold hoarding dragon deep inside a mountain lair? There are so many mundane references that tie Tolkien's mythological world to our own so he makes the familiar seem foreign and the foreign seem familiar in a bizarre yet welcoming combination. There is an overwhelmingly positive message of redemption in this book that makes me want to never put the book down. Everyone deserves a second chance and above all, never forget the comforts of home.
  5. A brief overview of the sensory experience you get from reading the novel: Every sense is explored in this book. From Tolkien's quirky descriptions of hobbit holes to the vivid description of the stench of a troll hoard and the sounds of a city under fire, the reader feels like they are a part of the story.
  6. The feelings the novel elicits from a reader's standpoint: Almost narcotic! I may be bias because I am a bit of a Tolkien expert but this book literally has it all. It appeals to readers of every age and the novel should elicit a sense of belonging after reading it. You should have a totally different opinion on the fantasy genre when you're done because let's face it, this book created the modern fantasy genre that we have today.

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 30 2015, 6:44pm

Post #2 of 2 (1001 views)
Shortcut
It's a story that matures in the telling. [In reply to] Can't Post

Over its length it evolves from a light cheerful children's quest to a dark morally ambiguous fable of middle-aged angst and regret. I've always found the ending sad, even tragic. Bilbo has lost so much of himself for such little return. Arthur Miller has nothing on Tolkien.

Mathom House Bestsellers:

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in the Pits of Orthanc

Zen and the Art of Cockle Boat Maintenance

Fifty Shades of Gandalf the Grey

Coney Stew for the Soul

Rhosgobel Rabbits - Unsafe At Any Speed

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.