Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Its the-100%-humidity ... What have YOU been Watching thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 26 2015, 1:07am

Post #51 of 117 (937 views)
Shortcut
Mr. Holmes and Trainwreck [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Homes - I thought Ian McKellen and Laura Linney were both wonderful in this; really worth seeing just for the performances. The story itself didn't grip me too much but there were some very touching moments and the theme of a brilliant mind grappling with old age was very very moving.

Trainwreck - I really liked this and thought it was both funny and very real emotionally underneath the jokes. I don't know if Amy Schumer's humor is for everyone, but I enjoy her social commentary and there were some scenes in this movie that were so relatable that I'm still chuckling.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 26 2015, 1:48am

Post #52 of 117 (930 views)
Shortcut
Good analysis. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fictions within fictions, many layers of them. And well done, I think, right down to the last confessed fiction!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 26 2015, 2:11am

Post #53 of 117 (927 views)
Shortcut
Lovely they got the bees into his retirement! [In reply to] Can't Post

When our own dear Ro was here earlier in the year we watched Jeremy's Scandal in Bohemia. The way Holmes handles the King...Laugh Priceless. And The Blue Carbuncle is one of my regular holiday watches at Christmastime.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 26 2015, 2:15am

Post #54 of 117 (925 views)
Shortcut
Getting lots of good feedback on Mr. Holmes. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Mr. Homes - I thought Ian McKellen and Laura Linney were both wonderful in this; really worth seeing just for the performances. The story itself didn't grip me too much but there were some very touching moments and the theme of a brilliant mind grappling with old age was very very moving.

Trainwreck - I really liked this and thought it was both funny and very real emotionally underneath the jokes. I don't know if Amy Schumer's humor is for everyone, but I enjoy her social commentary and there were some scenes in this movie that were so relatable that I'm still chuckling.

Trainwreck sounds intriguing to me based on what you've said, Elarie.

Adrianna
Lorien

Jul 26 2015, 3:40am

Post #55 of 117 (917 views)
Shortcut
Crazy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just got finish watching Lavalantula on Syfy. I'm a big Syfy fan. My husband was laughing halfway through the movie. So was I.

Got sharknado3 on DVR will be watching that next. Don't know why but second one was crazy so why not watch the 3rd one.

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

Patty
Immortal

Jul 26 2015, 4:26pm

Post #56 of 117 (884 views)
Shortcut
Poldark, of course, and The Woman in Gold... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am still very much enjoying Poldark, even though I have the Blu-ray and know that there are bits missing on the Masterpiece theater showing. I do feel sorry for Elizabeth, because I don't believe that people should be made to live with bad choices forever. If the storyline follows that of the earlier version, I don't know if my feelings will change or not. I don't know if she was a sympathetic character in the books, but the earlier version never showed her to be quite as sympathetic as this version does to me. If Francis were given a pair of big boy pants he would not know what to do with them.

I have watched several YouTube documentaries about the theft of art during World War II since having watched the Woman in Gold. Because I watched the movie first, I was better able to enjoy it because I didn't know what happened. The documentaries on YouTube follow the storyline very closely, and I would not have enjoyed the movie as much if I had known then what I knew from the documentaries. The suspense would've been gone. Helen Mirren is an excellent actress, and the story is very well told and beautifully filmed.

Permanent address: Into the West

Patty
Immortal

Jul 26 2015, 4:31pm

Post #57 of 117 (873 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much for this recommendation. I loved Cloud Atlas and [In reply to] Can't Post

The first Matrix movie. I am very fond of Jupiter Ascending, too. I guess I am a Wachowski fan, so I'll give this one a whirl. I had not heard of it.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 26 2015, 7:15pm

Post #58 of 117 (864 views)
Shortcut
*heh* I keep asking Dad if he needs me to translate [In reply to] Can't Post

or turn on the subtitles. He has often had trouble with Scottish and some English accents, which I find absolutely hilarious considering his ancestry and the accents (and dialect) still found in certain villages around here. So far, Shetland isn't half as depressing as Wallander was to me...even without trees! ;)

We also watched Spy last night, which is...I don't know....Stupidly amusing? Amusingly stupid? I just don't know.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Jul 26 2015, 7:16pm)

Kim
Valinor

Jul 26 2015, 7:32pm

Post #59 of 117 (862 views)
Shortcut
Hannibal [In reply to] Can't Post

Richard Armitage's first episode was intriguing. I'd say if you didn't know the story, it would have been very confusing to figure out what was going on. I haven't read the book or seen the movies, but have read a bunch of interviews, so had an idea, but it was still done in a very unusual way (which Bryan Fuller has said was his intent). Richard never spoke a word of dialogue, although he did make some disturbing animal-like noises in portraying Francis Dolarhyde's reaction to the noises/voices he hears, and his reaction to his crime. His scenes were self contained and a quick succession of setting up the Red Dragon concept. It will be very interesting to see the character as we see him start to interact with others. Richard was as usual excellent at disappearing into the character. Very chilling.

I kind of wish we'd be able to see a little more of Will's happy new home life before Jack showed up and he got pulled back in, but in a way it was good to see him getting back to the profiling he'd done in the first season (even if I had to look away during certain scenes).

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 27 2015, 12:46am

Post #60 of 117 (843 views)
Shortcut
Oh my - 'Lavantula'?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Is that a spider-spewing volcano? Or a flaming tarantula? Sheesh, my hubby's work nightmare either way.Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 27 2015, 12:49am

Post #61 of 117 (848 views)
Shortcut
Francis' pants... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If Francis were given a pair of big boy pants he would not know what to do with them.
This cracked me up Patty. LaughLaugh

I have watched several YouTube documentaries about the theft of art during World War II since having watched the Woman in Gold. Because I watched the movie first, I was better able to enjoy it because I didn't know what happened. The documentaries on YouTube follow the storyline very closely, and I would not have enjoyed the movie as much if I had known then what I knew from the documentaries. The suspense would've been gone. Helen Mirren is an excellent actress, and the story is very well told and beautifully filmed.

That's great, that it inspired you to search out the real stories. That whole era has some twists and turns that writers could not invent.
I do like Helen Mirren. She was a scream in Red.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 27 2015, 12:54am

Post #62 of 117 (836 views)
Shortcut
Shetland is a winner for me. I need a break from ultra-grim. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
*heh* I keep asking Dad if he needs me to translate or turn on the subtitles.

Heh. But would the subtitles be in dialect? That would be fun. Laugh Funny that Dad's background doesn't help with kenning the show.

So far, Shetland isn't half as depressing as Wallander was to me...even without trees! ;)

Yup. It may become a regular for me.

We also watched Spy last night, which is...I don't know....Stupidly amusing? Amusingly stupid? I just don't know.

I heard it was rather unapologetic.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 27 2015, 12:55am

Post #63 of 117 (836 views)
Shortcut
That sounds WAAAY creepy, Kim. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Richard Armitage's first episode was intriguing. I'd say if you didn't know the story, it would have been very confusing to figure out what was going on. I haven't read the book or seen the movies, but have read a bunch of interviews, so had an idea, but it was still done in a very unusual way (which Bryan Fuller has said was his intent). Richard never spoke a word of dialogue, although he did make some disturbing animal-like noises in portraying Francis Dolarhyde's reaction to the noises/voices he hears, and his reaction to his crime. His scenes were self contained and a quick succession of setting up the Red Dragon concept. It will be very interesting to see the character as we see him start to interact with others. Richard was as usual excellent at disappearing into the character. Very chilling.

I kind of wish we'd be able to see a little more of Will's happy new home life before Jack showed up and he got pulled back in, but in a way it was good to see him getting back to the profiling he'd done in the first season (even if I had to look away during certain scenes).

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 27 2015, 1:17am

Post #64 of 117 (834 views)
Shortcut
Did anyone else notice that the actor playing the movie matinee Sherlock Holmes [In reply to] Can't Post

is listed on the poster behind Ian/Holmes as he waits in line as having the surname "Armitage"? (I was unable to make out the first name.)

I found myself cringing as Holmes watched his moving picture counterpart, the fantasy Holmes was so shallow and theatrical in comparison.

Ian was indeed marvellous. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Adrianna
Lorien

Jul 27 2015, 2:01am

Post #65 of 117 (829 views)
Shortcut
They [In reply to] Can't Post

Were Huge spiders that spewed out flames instead of webs due to a volcanic eruption under Los Angeles. That's one way to get burned alive.

Just rented Ex Machina. Pretty interesting. Boy! He got shafted in the end.

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 27 2015, 2:29am

Post #66 of 117 (815 views)
Shortcut
Whoops! I was still talking TV and PBS. Spy, the Britcom, not the new movie! // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 27 2015, 2:33am

Post #67 of 117 (815 views)
Shortcut
Ah! The 'Spy' with that utterly obnoxious child in it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched a few: some of its really funny - like that whacko, always inappropriate boss. But some of it is a bit exasperating, and not so funny. Its on in the hour before New Tricks so sometimes if I am home, I catch it out of the corner of my eye.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 27 2015, 3:07am

Post #68 of 117 (811 views)
Shortcut
About tonight's Poldark episode (spoiler) [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I have been griping about what is on the Blu-ray and not on the Masterpiece Theatre version, but tonight, just like Downton, I caught something that was on the TV version that is not on the Blu-ray! There is no way to get it all! It's a little thing, but it shouldn't have happened at all. As Ross is leaving the gaming room at the ball after having exposed George's cousin as a cheater at cards, he walks out the room and says something over his shoulder to the effect that perhaps they will be good enough to send his losses back to him. That phrase is not on the Blu-ray. I know, because I had been watching for it, because I wondered if he were going to get Demelza"s necklace jewel back. He says nothing as he walks out on the Blu-ray.
I guess you have to watch both versions in order to get the whole story. Or just read the book. Crazy

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 27 2015, 3:21am

Post #69 of 117 (804 views)
Shortcut
Rats!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds wonderful. I went looking for it, but US-PBS never heard of it, and Amazon will only stream it to someone who's a member of Amazon-UK! I hope our PBS or Amazon picks it up in the future!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 27 2015, 3:49am

Post #70 of 117 (793 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't even find it on the local PBS site, but Hulu has it. [In reply to] Can't Post

17 episodes of Spy, here.

ETA: I know nothing about Hulu's viewing policies.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Jul 27 2015, 3:59am)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2015, 12:46pm

Post #71 of 117 (769 views)
Shortcut
I *finally* caught up with Poldark! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it's the effect of watching the episodes so close together online, but my impression is that this story is chock-full of clichés and tropes. However, they are all my favorite clichés and tropes, and dressed up in the best possible way, so I'm enjoying myself hugely. Cool

I wish Francis had maybe one redeeming quality. Early on, his kind of blind naivete was enough to make me slightly sympathetic to him, but unfortunately that's all encompassed in his bitterness now. Unsure I just want some depth to him!

Also, I am a total sucker for all those close-up shots of wildflowers, and waves crashing onto the rocks, and threatening-looking clouds. Heart

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Annael
Immortal

Jul 27 2015, 2:43pm

Post #72 of 117 (753 views)
Shortcut
WOW. Loved the ending! [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell" may just have to be something I buy. I suspect that one could watch it over & over and find new things each time.

And now I have a great example of "a show that is better than the book." I couldn't get through the book, and many have said that the two main characters are rather flat in the book, but the show has the advantage of actors who bring their characters to vivid life.

One thing I noticed was the very subtle ways (except for Lascelles) that the upper-class characters spoke to lower social classes. Strange, for example, actually became more courteous while at the same time sounding more confident than he did when addressing people at his social level or above. Pole was courteous but more condescending than Strange, Norrell was less confident and so often sounded more peevish. I don't know if this was the director's doing, the scriptwriter's, or the actors', but I applaud them.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Jul 27 2015, 2:44pm)

Annael
Immortal

Jul 27 2015, 2:54pm

Post #73 of 117 (752 views)
Shortcut
finally got to "What We Do in the Shadows" and also saw "Majola Snake" [In reply to] Can't Post

WWDitS: hilarious. Highly recommend.

"Majola Snake" stars Juliet Binoche and Kristen Stewart. Binoche plays a famous actress who's been asked to play the part of the older woman in the play that made her famous 20+ years earlier when she played the younger woman who seduces and then abandons the older woman. Stewart is the personal assistant on whom Binoche depends; Both shine. Clearly this is the kind of role (and the kind of direction) that Stewart needs, instead of trying to be a romantic heroine.

It's also a pretty movie, with lots of scenes in the Swiss Alps. The Majola Snake is a real thing: a river of cloud that sometimes pours over the Majola Pass, so you get a bit of a nature documentary thrown in.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Jul 27 2015, 2:55pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 28 2015, 1:58am

Post #74 of 117 (713 views)
Shortcut
Caught up on Poldark myself tonight. [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the best lines so far: "What's wrong with the women in this family?" "The men." Laugh

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 28 2015, 2:43am

Post #75 of 117 (701 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately the funniest line in WWDITS [In reply to] Can't Post

is one I can't repeat here without giving myself an official warning. Cool

*cough*sandwich*cough*

I love how this movie underplays the comedy. It's very entertaining and so very quotable.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.