Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Beorn gets tortured in Dol Guldur (BOFA EE)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2015, 12:55pm

Post #51 of 62 (979 views)
Shortcut
It's the new usage of the word..... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Fans": People who don't like something.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2015, 1:08pm

Post #52 of 62 (973 views)
Shortcut
LOL... Thank you for the touch of humour... [In reply to] Can't Post

It is really needed sometimes here, with views that are most often so extreme, and so absolute in their feeling of expressing The Truth...Crazy
I guess it doesn't really matter, after all...Laugh

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jul 31 2015, 2:14pm

Post #53 of 62 (954 views)
Shortcut
I don't know if we can say what is majority or not [In reply to] Can't Post

But I will say that I definitely disagreed with giving Legolas such a large role. I don't get too upset anymore though, because there are always fan edits (which PJ has even encouraged in the past!).

(This post was edited by KingTurgon on Jul 31 2015, 2:15pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 31 2015, 2:17pm

Post #54 of 62 (942 views)
Shortcut
Nice one! // [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 31 2015, 2:18pm

Post #55 of 62 (947 views)
Shortcut
Really? Did you do a head count? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say that all you can say for certain is that some like and some don't. Any claim to be in the majority is wishful thinking.

Thrain II
Lorien

Jul 31 2015, 3:05pm

Post #56 of 62 (934 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would I wish that? And if you really think that most of the people who watched The Hobbit liked how much we got Legolas in DOS and BOFA, and especially how his screen time was used, than you are wishful thinking!

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 31 2015, 3:28pm

Post #57 of 62 (914 views)
Shortcut
No, I don't think most do... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think some do and some don't, and no one is in a position to claim a majority for their view (whatever view it is) because no one has any way of testing the claim.

I haven't a clue why anyone would want to claim that a majority agree with them - but I can't help noticing that lots of people do! Me, I just think what I think because I think it, and if everyone else disagrees, that's OK. We don't all have to look for a pack to run with...

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2015, 6:01pm

Post #58 of 62 (877 views)
Shortcut
I think you can afford to be bolder. [In reply to] Can't Post

You have a set of films which are each in the most popular 1% of releases. It's very likely that most people liked most things in them - or why go back year after year?

Do we see reviewers picking out the characters in question as issues - not at all. Do all the commercial trappings of the films in fact suggest that these were very popular characters - so it would seem.

It's hard to see the evidence for the views of the majority on the other side of the argument.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 31 2015, 6:47pm

Post #59 of 62 (861 views)
Shortcut
question of age [In reply to] Can't Post

shouldnt be relevant with the possible insert of this scene.

So i dont see why it would be too brutally having a torture scene in there. The argument "also childs watch these movies" isnt correct anymore these days.

Look, so many children in the age between 7-14 years already play RPG Shooter or stuff like that on their PlayStation or Computer. If that is good or not, can be answered by anyone else. So they are quite aware with such things, thats just the run of time (unfortunately).

Im not expecting that this scene would be covered with blood splashing through the whole screen but handled quite emotional instead of being too rude.

(This post was edited by NoelGallagher on Jul 31 2015, 6:48pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2015, 6:53pm

Post #60 of 62 (854 views)
Shortcut
PG-13 [In reply to] Can't Post

And the movies are PG-13 anyway. These aren't technically "children's films". I don't know of many children's films that show a character watch as their grandfather's head rolls down a hill.

I doubt the torture scene would be any more intense than Gollum's in FotR.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 31 2015, 7:01pm

Post #61 of 62 (845 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I would agree with everything you say only it gets rather wearing to be shouted down and called delusional....

So I thought I'd try the opposite tack. I'm setting aside this notional majority of people who don't like this or that about the films (and the vast numbers I suspect who do). While I'm sure they're all charming and upright citizens I find I don't need their help to make up my mind. Good films, enjoyed them - check. Looking forward to the EE for all the best reasons - more of something I already enjoy.

But it does amuse me that so many people with a list of complaints about the films that seems endless are also looking forward to the EE. Funny old world, isn't it!

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 31 2015, 7:18pm

Post #62 of 62 (836 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And the movies are PG-13 anyway. These aren't technically "children's films". I don't know of many children's films that show a character watch as their grandfather's head rolls down a hill.

I doubt the torture scene would be any more intense than Gollum's in FotR.

That was my point Wink
Just because it was mentioned above that a possible torture scene would be too brutal for an EE cut.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.