Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Beorn gets tortured in Dol Guldur (BOFA EE)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

PryftanAW
Bree

Jul 27 2015, 7:25pm

Post #1 of 62 (4642 views)
Shortcut
Beorn gets tortured in Dol Guldur (BOFA EE) Can't Post

(Better Quality: http://fotogalerie.herr-der-ringe-film.de/...ull.php?photo=305729)

(This post was edited by PryftanAW on Jul 27 2015, 7:25pm)

tattooed_dwarf
Rivendell

Jul 27 2015, 7:28pm

Post #2 of 62 (4476 views)
Shortcut
or cut from movie [In reply to] Can't Post

How do you know it's from EE?

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 27 2015, 7:32pm

Post #3 of 62 (4470 views)
Shortcut
youve made the EE videos on youtube [In reply to] Can't Post

But youre only guessing, right?!

Thrain II
Lorien

Jul 27 2015, 7:53pm

Post #4 of 62 (4439 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Where did you find this image? It really looks like they filmed this scene, but I am not sure it will be used in the movie. I think it was part of DOS at one time, but they probably abandoned that concept.

PryftanAW
Bree

Jul 27 2015, 7:54pm

Post #5 of 62 (4442 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure,but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm note sure if this is really in the Bofa EE, but I know, that this scene was shot for Bofa.

During Gandalf and Radagast escape from Dol Guldur, they find Beorn and rescue him.

As we shot it, the escape from Dol Guldur had Gandalf still quite badly wounded, being evacuated from Dol Guldur by Radagast on his sledge. There was a pursuit through the castle ruin with ist broken staircases and bridges, a perilous chase culminating in them bursting out of the fortress's crumbling lower levels and into the forest again at ground Level. At one time Beorn was going to be present,a captive of the Orcs. It was an oppertunity for Radagast to Show some heroics.

Then Beorn goes with Radagast and Gandalf to Rhosgobel
Image1: http://fotogalerie.herr-der-ringe-film.de/...ull.php?photo=298645
Image2: http://fotogalerie.herr-der-ringe-film.de/...ull.php?photo=298550
Image3: http://fotogalerie.herr-der-ringe-film.de/...ull.php?photo=305730

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jul 27 2015, 8:12pm

Post #6 of 62 (4402 views)
Shortcut
I love it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I realy hope this is in BOTFA EE.

Thrain II
Lorien

Jul 27 2015, 8:19pm

Post #7 of 62 (4394 views)
Shortcut
Yeah but [In reply to] Can't Post

it doesn't make any sense to me. Unsure Why would Beorn be imprisoned and tortured in BOFA again? Last time we saw him in DOS at his house, where he already told that story (about the torture) to the company. Crazy
I think that was supposed to be when Radagast first entered Dol Guldur in AUJ, or in flashback at his house in DOS.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 27 2015, 8:25pm

Post #8 of 62 (4385 views)
Shortcut
a flashback is still possible [In reply to] Can't Post

Most likely at Rhosgobel.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Jul 27 2015, 8:59pm

Post #9 of 62 (4324 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts too....it would reference the wrist shackles he has when hosting the company. [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 27 2015, 10:44pm

Post #10 of 62 (4235 views)
Shortcut
Appears revolting [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd much rather see more of Beorn in his house (perhaps Bilbo could visit him with Gandalf on the way back, again), and experience character building and interesting dialogue when it comes to him.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 28 2015, 12:43am

Post #11 of 62 (4152 views)
Shortcut
Baaaaa! [In reply to] Can't Post

The roar of his voice was like drums and guns; and he tossed wolves and goblins from his path like straws and feathers. He fell upon their rear, and broke like a clap of thunder through the ring. The dwarves were making a stand still about their lords upon a low rounded hill. Then Beorn stooped and lifted Thorin, who had fallen pierced with spears, and bore him out of the fray.
Swiftly he returned and his wrath was redoubled, so the nothing could withstand him, and no weapon seemed to bite upon him. He scattered the bodyguard, and pulled down Bolg imself and crushed him . . .

BEORN BE MY HERO: “Which of you has the truck to treat with ME?”

PJ go fish!! Evil

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jul 28 2015, 1:16am

Post #12 of 62 (4129 views)
Shortcut
Wow that has to be in the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

When Galadriel yells "Go" to Radagast with white eyes she is suddenly unconscious in the next shot so maybe the sled chase is shown after that, possibly intercut with the WitchKing battle before Sauron jumps in? I always wondered how they got around DolGuldur so easily on that sled.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Jul 28 2015, 1:40am

Post #13 of 62 (4113 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe Beorn just decided to go investigate DG himself and got captured [In reply to] Can't Post

Or was ambushed and taken there at some point after the company left his house.

boldog
Rohan

Jul 28 2015, 8:29am

Post #14 of 62 (3931 views)
Shortcut
What if Beorn is captured after he helps the company [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe the orcs find out about this and try to extract as much information as they can from him as to what they intend.

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 28 2015, 10:10am

Post #15 of 62 (3877 views)
Shortcut
good idea Sir Boldog [In reply to] Can't Post

I still go for my idea that Beorn tells about it during the Rhosgobel scene,maybe before the staff handing,as a flashback. Before,they find and rescue him during their DG escape.

Personally,their must be a reason those pictures popped out of nowhere. Probably a first hint for the EE....

PryftanAW
Bree

Jul 28 2015, 10:21am

Post #16 of 62 (3872 views)
Shortcut
The image is from the website of an make-up artist [In reply to] Can't Post

Source: http://www.katyfray.com/#!prosthetics/c164h

AshNazg
Gondor

Jul 28 2015, 11:38am

Post #17 of 62 (3826 views)
Shortcut
That's very possible... [In reply to] Can't Post

The original scene was intended as two flashbacks - one in AUJ of Beorn being freed by Radagast, and one in DoS of Beorn being tortured by Bolg. That much I can confirm from official sources.

It's my belief that these scenes were cut so that Bolg could become Legolas' enemy, rather than Beorn's.

But regardless of the original intention it's possible, with a few pick-up shoots, that the scene has been moved to BoFA. But it can't involve Bolg anymore, so how it's going to be relevant to the story is anyone's guess.

There is apparently a shot in the EE where Beorn takes on an ogre during the battle. This fight seems to be the original Beorn v Bolg fight, with Bolg replaced by an ogre, so maybe we'll see this same ogre torturing Beorn during the flashback, so he can get his revenge in the battle?

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 28 2015, 11:51am

Post #18 of 62 (3809 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Imho the whole Beorn-Dol Guldur-Bolg plot would have been so much better thsn this Legolas sh**. Sorry,but thats totally out of order and doesnt support the story,in no way.

Thrain II
Lorien

Jul 28 2015, 11:53am

Post #19 of 62 (3806 views)
Shortcut
It's hard for me to believe [In reply to] Can't Post

that Beorn would be captured and tortured twice. As AshNazg said I don't see why would it be relevant since they cleverly decided to give Beorns role to Legolas. Mad

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 28 2015, 12:00pm

Post #20 of 62 (3794 views)
Shortcut
i expect it to be in the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

As the DG inclusion for BotfA. Like Thrain was in DoS.

Probably two or three minutes more of the elven ring story combined with five minutes or so for Beorn there. Thats it for Dol Guldur.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 28 2015, 12:47pm

Post #21 of 62 (3752 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I can well believe this, as it makes sense from a storytelling POV for several reasons:

1) It introduces Beorn early, and sets up his debt and friendship to Radagast. I'm getting in sense that part of his motivation for coming to the Five Armies was not just revenge, but as a favour Radagast. You'll recall that BTS footage which shows Gandalf telling Radagast to 'go after him' or something to that effect, suggesting only Radagast could really persuade Beorn to get involved.

2) We wouldn't find out what happened to Beorn there until a flashback in film 2, which would make sense given that it is only now when we are introduced to Bolg (when he was supposed to be at Dol Guldur rather than Azog), and it sets up their beef for film 3

3) It is much more believable than Beorn being captured twice

Another thing that adds weight to this is that, from the extended track 'Radagast the Brown', we know that there was some version of the film where Radagast went straight to Dol Guldur from Rhosgobel, and that the entire sequence must have played out in one go. Rather than recalling this episode to Gandalf in the later flashback at the Trollshaws, it would have worked much better playing out in the current, with Radagast finding this mysterious character and helping him before going on with his exploration of Dol Guldur. This way there could be some dialogue between the pair. Of course, it would have also given additional weight to Radagast.

I find it hard to believe that PJ would have sacrificed Beorn's arc at the expense of giving Legolas a bigger role I have to say - I suspect other forces might have been at work there.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 28 2015, 1:11pm

Post #22 of 62 (3723 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't work for TH:BotFA [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What if Beorn is captured after he helps the company
maybe the orcs find out about this and try to extract as much information as they can from him as to what they intend.

If that happened then it should have been covered in TH:DoS. It doesn't fit the structure of the films to have Beorn captured and tortured in Dol Guldur after Gandalf frees Thrain and is himself caught. And it is repetitive; we have already had Thrain and Gandalf imprisoned in Dol Guldur by this time. No, the only time it might work to have Beorn in Dol Guldur (other than as part of the rescue of Gandalf) is as a flashback to before the events of the the quest. And, frankly, that is something that should have been in the middle film.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 28 2015, 1:12pm)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jul 28 2015, 3:02pm

Post #23 of 62 (3618 views)
Shortcut
"So Bolg could become Legolas's enemy, rather than Beorn's" [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh come on filmmakers. I would love to know their rationale for this. I don't get it at all.

(This post was edited by KingTurgon on Jul 28 2015, 3:05pm)

Thrain II
Lorien

Jul 28 2015, 3:28pm

Post #24 of 62 (3592 views)
Shortcut
Probably to bring more people to the theatres [In reply to] Can't Post

because Legolas is well known and loved character from LOTR so they used that fact to give him (too) much more time in DOS and BOFA than originally was planned.

At the end, it backfired badly with the fans.

(This post was edited by Thrain II on Jul 28 2015, 3:29pm)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Jul 28 2015, 3:28pm

Post #25 of 62 (3583 views)
Shortcut
Remember we got a lego set [In reply to] Can't Post

For Beorn in Dol Guldor. It was part of the Desolation of Smaug line.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.