The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Cutting Azog out of The Hobbit [FanEdit]

AshNazg
Gondor

Jul 27 2015, 5:26pm

Post #1 of 16 (1740 views)
Shortcut
Cutting Azog out of The Hobbit [FanEdit] Can't Post

So I've been concentrating on a fan edit for a while now, and there's one thing in particular that I think other editors might find interesting.

In AUJ the only mention of Azog or Bolg that I've kept is the flashback when Azog gets his arm cut off. I used a few tricks and (actually pretty easily) removed Azog entirely from the tree/eagle sequence. So he is dead in my version.

DoS works out fine without any mention of Azog. The barrel sequence is now just a barrel escape, with no fighting and nothing bad happens in Laketown.

BoFA is obviously the hardest, but it wasn't impossible - there's one big cheat I used here though. When Thorin goes to Ravenhill to "cut the head of the snake" here we meet Bolg, who is guarded by goblin merc's. Bilbo tries to aid the dwarves, but Bolg knocks Bilbo out. The dwarves keep fighting and this becomes a montage of fighting shots from all areas of the field, on Ravenhill, outside Erebor and in Dale. The eagles arrive and Beorn enters (hopefully the EE will give me more footage).

Bilbo wakes up to see the eagles above and begins looking around, here he finds Thorin dead on the ice and has his final words.

While it feels unusual to watch as a film, it's basically how the event plays out in the book, we don't see how Thorin dies or what happens, Bilbo just wakes up and it's all over. I think a bigger problem than not seeing how Thorin dies is not seeing Bolg dies, but it's pretty interesting to watch. Smile

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 27 2015, 8:53pm

Post #2 of 16 (1718 views)
Shortcut
Why cut out the VILLAIN? [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog is the MAIN VILLAIN of the trilogy, cut him out would stupid Mad. Where would be the tension scenes? The action scenes? And we would not have a motivation for why the orcs are attacking the moutain without Azog's character. We can not cu him out!!! MadMadMad

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 27 2015, 9:00pm

Post #3 of 16 (1713 views)
Shortcut
Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

I dunno, D.P.; it's hard for me to consider a character who was originally dead 142 years before the main story starts to be the main villain. The book does perfectly well without a main villain until the company reaches the Mountain, at which point it is Smaug--and then 'greed'.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 27 2015, 9:02pm)

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 27 2015, 9:07pm

Post #4 of 16 (1708 views)
Shortcut
142 years before? [In reply to] Can't Post

The timeline is not like this. There's no mention of when Thror died and Azog loses his hand off. Mad

Thorin and Elrond says something like: the dragon Smaug is not has been sixty years... Did you watch the movies Otaku? MadMad

(This post was edited by DainPig on Jul 27 2015, 9:08pm)

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 27 2015, 9:13pm

Post #5 of 16 (1705 views)
Shortcut
The trilogy without Azog and Bolg would be... slow [In reply to] Can't Post

Just 15 guys traveling in some lands.... oh, look, trolls! spiders! goblins! oh, a dragon, he died... so, this is it....Unimpressed

Now with Azog we have a tension during the entire trilogy. The hunt is the main point of the first movie, and in the other we discover Azog has a link with the Necromancer and he will lead armies to attack the moutain. Is not just a bunch of goblins without a great motivation....Mad

Cut Azog out of the movies is a depreciation... what to see a loyal story? Go read the books Wink

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jul 27 2015, 9:23pm

Post #6 of 16 (1704 views)
Shortcut
Thrors map was written 200 yers ago [In reply to] Can't Post

according to Elrond, and that was after Smaug attackt Erabor.

AshNazg
Gondor

Jul 27 2015, 10:25pm

Post #7 of 16 (1694 views)
Shortcut
It's just out of curiosity, DP... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not trying to improve the films (which I enjoy) I just find it fun and interesting to make it allign more with the book and see how well (or badly) it works.

It doesn't work as a conventional movie, but it's interesting to watch as a fan of the book.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 27 2015, 10:46pm

Post #8 of 16 (1681 views)
Shortcut
Is my math off? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The timeline is not like this. There's no mention of when Thror died and Azog loses his hand off. Mad

I thought that it was understood that when I wrote about the original story, I meant the book. Let me check my math: 2941 - 2799 = 142. Yep, the Battle of Azanulbizar (Battle of Moria) was 142 years before the Quest of Erebor. In fact, the special features for TH:AUJ-EE (Appendix 9, Chapter 12: The Battle of Moria) indicate that the Battle of Moria took place in TA 2799 in the films, which means that Smaug's attack on Erebor and Dale had to be at least a year or more before that. My best estimate is that Richard Armitage's Thorin is approximately 30 years younger than the literary Thorin and that Smaug, in the films, invaded Erebor about the year 2797 (give or take a year).

Just because the dragon had not been seen for sixty years does not mean that it was only sixty years since he invaded Erebor. It only means that Smaug hadn't left the Mountain within that time. He could have easily pushed aside the debris at the Front Gate and gone hunting from time to time. Fili and Kili were both over 60 years old and they were born in the Blue Mountains.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 27 2015, 10:52pm

Post #9 of 16 (1678 views)
Shortcut
You've got something wrong. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thrors map was written 200 years ago according to Elrond, and that was after Smaug attackt Erabor.

Nope. Thorin is younger in the films than in the book. Even Tolkien only had Thorin in his 195th year for the Quest of Erebor. So either Thror made the map before Smaug attacked the Mountain (and before Thorin was born) or the map was made less than 200 years ago.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 27 2015, 10:54pm

Post #10 of 16 (1676 views)
Shortcut
Who said anything about cutting out Bolg? [In reply to] Can't Post

We can keep Bolg in the story even if Azog stays dead. Tolkien managed it. Jackson could have had Bolg searching for Thorin.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jul 27 2015, 11:05pm

Post #11 of 16 (1673 views)
Shortcut
It couldn't be before [In reply to] Can't Post

Because on the map it is saying The desolation of Smaug
and in AUJ Erond said "These runes were written on a Midsummer’s Eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly two hundred years ago."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 27 2015, 11:11pm

Post #12 of 16 (1673 views)
Shortcut
Right. [In reply to] Can't Post

So, Elrond's estimate was a bit off. Thrain presumably gave the map and key to Gandalf before the Battle of Moria, so Thror must have made the map no later than TA 2799 but also not very much earlier than that. In the book, it could have been anytime between 2770 and 2790. The map would have been about 150 years old, not 200.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 27 2015, 11:20pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Jul 27 2015, 11:22pm

Post #13 of 16 (1668 views)
Shortcut
When was Erebor first occupied? [In reply to] Can't Post

The map says "Here of old was THRAIN King under the Mountain" could this refer to Thrain I (1934-2190)? Perhaps he was the first king of Erebor?

Sorry to change subject, I just never considered this before and you know your stuff with dates, much better than I do.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Jul 27 2015, 11:23pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 27 2015, 11:29pm

Post #14 of 16 (1663 views)
Shortcut
The Founding of Erebor [In reply to] Can't Post

Thrain I founded Erebor in TA 1999, after the Dwarves were driven out of Khazad-dum by the Balrog in 1981. Thrain I died in the year 2190. Tolkien actually created Thrain the Old because he was having trouble keeping Thror and his son Thrain straight.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 27 2015, 11:30pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Jul 27 2015, 11:43pm

Post #15 of 16 (1660 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! So the map probably does refer to Thrain I [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose it wouldn't make sense otherwise, considering Thrain II didn't become king.

Thanks for the info! It amazes me that even with lots of fans discussing every subject for many years, there are still details that we can learn about in these books. And to think all of it was created by one person just blows my mind.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jul 30 2015, 12:35pm

Post #16 of 16 (1575 views)
Shortcut
You don't like the story - [In reply to] Can't Post

so you want to see a film of the story, but with a different story?

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.