The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Did the moth reappear in BOFA?

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 27 2015, 11:07am

Post #1 of 4 (777 views)
Shortcut
Did the moth reappear in BOFA? Can't Post

I was listening to the soundtrack where the beautiful Nature's Reclamation theme plays out with the arrival of the eagles, and I was wondering if the moth ever reappeared in the film and I just missed it?

I last watched the movie when it was running in the theatres, so I can't recall, but I'm almost certain it did NOT show up.

But if my recollection is correct, I'm wondering how nice it would be if the moth did show up, but this time it was Thorin who saw it flutter before his face while he's dueling with Azog, and remembering the episode with the burning trees, he looks up at the sky and sees the eagles coming down the wind (though I guess it would hinge on there being a moment in AUJ where Thorin in fact is shown as seeing Gandalf talking to the moth).

It would be just another small 3 second moment that elevates a 1 minute scene...

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Imladris18
Lorien

Jul 27 2015, 4:28pm

Post #2 of 4 (645 views)
Shortcut
I don't believe it did appear. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the implication is that Radagast rallied up the eagles/Beorn (at least that's what I took from that disappointingly short, 3 second scene).

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 28 2015, 8:20am

Post #3 of 4 (506 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't suggesting the moth brought the eagles to Ravenhill, just that it was a symbol of the eagles' arrival (sort of like Gandalf seeing the moth before the Black Gate and realizing what it portended).

But thanks for confirming that the moth did in fact not show up Smile

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Kim
Valinor

Jul 29 2015, 3:48am

Post #4 of 4 (419 views)
Shortcut
You could also look at this way [In reply to] Can't Post

Every time we saw the moth before, the main/hero characters always survived. Not this time. Unsure Perhaps that was intentional?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.