Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The fate of Tauriel, Radagast and Alfrid: what will happen to them?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 27 2015, 12:02am

Post #1 of 36 (1725 views)
Shortcut
The fate of Tauriel, Radagast and Alfrid: what will happen to them? Can't Post

Five Armies have not a good conclusion, and this is really sad. Many things are leave without explanation, but I would love to know what happen to three new characters in the legendary Extended Edition:

Tauriel:
I don't think she will die, but I am sure she will be at the funeral, beside Kili's tomb (will be a sad sceneUnsure) Many peoples think/hope she is going to die, but how and why? Suicide?

Radagast: We know he gives the staff to Gandalf, but is not in ExEd. I excited expecting what will happen to The Brown Guy during the battle. He came with the eagles, but we don't see him fighting (thanks PJ, you are my good lord) He will die during the battle or we will se him at the funeral?

Alfrid: Everyone want to see this rascal dying in a very painful death Evil. The last time we see Alfrid is when he meets Bard in Dale, and then Bard says: Ya slip is showing.... Crazy He run away, and we don't see then after this scene. WHAT will happen to Alfrid??? I really can not imagine a good conclusion to this little scoundrel. He dies? He just runs away or became a friend of Bard?

What you guys think?

(Sorry for the bad english)

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Jul 27 2015, 12:19am

Post #2 of 36 (1651 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure, [In reply to] Can't Post

But for one thing, I DO NOT want Tauriel to die. That would be really sad. I really believe that Thranduil took her back in the end. He seemed gentle to her after she was mourning Kili. He seemed fatherly to her, so I think she ends up going back with him.
Radagast, hmmmm. I'm not sure. I've seen the concept art of him at the funeral of the Durins in the Art and Design book for BOFA. (it's really a small picture, but I could tell it was him.)
and Alfrid, I'm not sure about him either. I don't want to see a horrible death with him. So, I'm pretty much ok with him running away, but who knows?Wink

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 27 2015, 12:28am

Post #3 of 36 (1646 views)
Shortcut
okay, he will scape [In reply to] Can't Post

but scape to where? To south?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 27 2015, 1:20am

Post #4 of 36 (1628 views)
Shortcut
Alfrid [In reply to] Can't Post

Alfrid's fate was filmed.

SPOILER WARNING
SPOILER WARNING
SPOILER WARNING

Jackson and the Weta crew created a Troll especially for Alrid's death. According to the fifth Chronicles book, Alfrid gets catapulted into the Troll's mouth and chomped.

SPOILER ENDS

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 27 2015, 1:40am

Post #5 of 36 (1617 views)
Shortcut
SPOILER here too about Otaku's post [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I've heard this before. And Alfrid catapulted sounds so... stupid for a death. I would not like to see it.

But it is official or just a concept?

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 27 2015, 1:48am

Post #6 of 36 (1611 views)
Shortcut
official [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if it was confirmed that it was shot. I remember another possibility being that he was simply cornered and killed by some orcs. I can't remember if that was in the chronicles book or not. But the catapult thing sounds very much like a PJ moment that he would actually shoot and put in the EE. Unfortunately...Crazy

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 27 2015, 1:53am

Post #7 of 36 (1605 views)
Shortcut
To me [In reply to] Can't Post

Alfrdi killed by orcs is kind of gore... would not work for Alfrid.

Catapult scene is more like childish

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 27 2015, 1:54am

Post #8 of 36 (1604 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel and Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

It's possible that Tauriel would eventually die from grief (not necessarily from suicide) because that can happen to elves. But that would be more of a fan theory if anything. I doubt we'll get anymore closure for her than we got in the film itself, which I'm fine with. They reduced her story to barely anything but the love triangle in BotFA, so that's where it can end.

I'd say there's about a .01% chance that they'd randomly kill Radagast in the final battle. There are already three major deaths. Adding one more would be pointless. But hopefully we get at least a quick farewell of some kind.

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 27 2015, 2:00am

Post #9 of 36 (1597 views)
Shortcut
Radagast's farewell [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope PJ do a connection beetween LotR and The Hobbit with Radagast, as he did with Legolas (search for Strider!)

But I imagine how this would work:

[Gandalf and Radagast after Thorin's funeral]

Gandalf: it is time to go back Rosghobel, Radagast
Radagast: I do not know if I will go back Gandalf. Sauron still alive, and there's another woodlands in this large world I need to protect.

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Jul 27 2015, 3:35am

Post #10 of 36 (1565 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of unresolved conclusions... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope Dain's coronation is in the EE. As it is, the movie doesn't give any indication at all of who the new king will be.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 27 2015, 3:41am

Post #11 of 36 (1560 views)
Shortcut
Neither Tauriel nor Radaghast will die [In reply to] Can't Post

If Tauriel was going to die it would have been in the battle. Instead, someone told her they'll want to bury Kili, and THAT is the scene I hope to see. I've predicted it would be Dwalin, but there's an implication in an interview that he might recover Fili instead. I would like to know what happens to her, though, if she goes back to Mirkwood (likely) or follows Legolas.

I've asked about Radaghast before, and it seems like someone told me that he is mentioned in LoTR, so for that reason alone I don't think he'll die. I would love to see him give his staff to Gandalf, though I suppose it's not that important in the long run.

As for Alfrid, well he basically took the place of the Master, who stole all the gold and ran off, but was eventually abandoned by his men. I can't remember how he died, if it was from starvation or Orcs, but personally I really don't want to see any more Alfrid. He was already almost killed by an Ogre/Troll/Thing, ran off like a coward (yeah, that point was driven home ad nauseum), and I really think that story is done. Unlike Tauriel, who really didn't get any resolution. Another thing I'd like to see is Dain talking to Bilbo, and Bilbo reading a letter from Gloin saying he's sorry that he can't come to Bilbo's 111th birthday. I don't know that this scene was filmed, but I've read that the letter was written. Again, probably not necessary but would definitely be nice!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 27 2015, 4:21am

Post #12 of 36 (1539 views)
Shortcut
confirmed [In reply to] Can't Post

Philippa Boyens confirmed that it will be in the EE, and Dain and Bilbo will have a bit of dialogue together.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 27 2015, 4:31am

Post #13 of 36 (1522 views)
Shortcut
The Master's (Book) Fate [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As for Alfrid, well he basically took the place of the Master, who stole all the gold and ran off, but was eventually abandoned by his men. I can't remember how he died, if it was from starvation or Orcs, but personally I really don't want to see any more Alfrid. He was already almost killed by an Ogre/Troll/Thing, ran off like a coward (yeah, that point was driven home ad nauseum), and I really think that story is done.

Tolkien killed off the Master of Lake-town after the Battle of Five Armies. The Master helped to plan the rebuilding of Esgaroth, but took off with a large part of the treasure that Bard provided for the project. As you remembered, he is abandoned by his men and he dies in the marshes of hunger and exposure.

If it were up to me, I would have had Alfrid meet a similar fate. However, I might have made Gollum responsible for Alfrid's death.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 27 2015, 4:44am

Post #14 of 36 (1513 views)
Shortcut
Alfrid dead in the wild? How this would work? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo and Gandalf would see him in the road, asking for help?

This would be tragic Crazy

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 27 2015, 5:00am

Post #15 of 36 (1510 views)
Shortcut
In the marshes [In reply to] Can't Post

Alfrid finds the gold in Dale as in the theatrical cut of TH:BotFA. He flees the battle and eventually finds himself alone in the Long Marshes. A hiss alerts him to a presence nearby. It is Gollum, who asks him about Baggins, before wrapping his fingers around Alfrid's neck.

From what I've seen so far, it looks like Bilbo and Gandalf spend the winter in Erebor instead of at Beorn's place. That might make a cameo of Gollum lurking around Dale a bit more problematic, but Alfrid could just die from exposure instead.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 27 2015, 7:10am

Post #16 of 36 (1468 views)
Shortcut
How about nothing? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, just to qualify that, it's possible that Alfrid will die, as others have said. If he does, he does, but I don't feel any need to see it.

As for Tauriel and Radagast, why can't they just go home and get on with their lives? Or to put it another way, do we need to see any more of their stories?

Tauriel may be at the funeral but I doubt if she would be any more than a figure in the background - we've already had her mourning Kili and returning the rune stone. There's nothing they can add to that. She won't die - there's neither need, nor point, nor time.

Radagast - it would be interesting to see more of him in the battle. And do we know the handover of his staff isn't in the EE? I would have thought it could be. Somehow I doubt he'd be at the funeral - it seems more in his nature to slip away.

CathrineB
Rohan

Jul 27 2015, 10:58am

Post #17 of 36 (1380 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I certainly want more of an ending to the movie than the rushed thing we got. I want to know what will happen to the dwarves in particular rather than just waving Bilbo off and they're going to have a feast.

Tauriel, while I like her I don't want her in the funeral. Overstaying her welcome. She has said her goodbye. I figured since Thranduil decided to go soft in the final minutes of screentime that he let her back home and that's it. If anything it'd be nice if maybe there were a moment of Thrandy and Tau heading back to Mirkwood (and maybe Bilbo getting the title of being an elf-friend in such a scene). That'd be a nice end to both those elves.

Radagast and Beorn yes. I want to know more. Alfrid - NO. If he dies? Whatever. If he survives? Whatever. We most certainly do NOT need more of him.

Bofur01
Lorien

Jul 27 2015, 11:13am

Post #18 of 36 (1376 views)
Shortcut
Alfrid's death was in an early cut of BotFA in October or so, I believe, according to Doug Adams IIRC. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 27 2015, 2:37pm

Post #19 of 36 (1296 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, just to qualify that, it's possible that Alfrid will die, as others have said. If he does, he does, but I don't feel any need to see it.

As for Tauriel and Radagast, why can't they just go home and get on with their lives? Or to put it another way, do we need to see any more of their stories?

With all due respect to those interested and the OP - re Alfrid IMO for me there was never anything wrong with him slinking off in a war zone with his gold bosom - for me if I think about it all it's more fun to imagine where he ends up, even if it's living the high life, finally, in Ered Luin w. some fawning girls - one of which eventually takes all his gold and/or marries him LOL.Cool

Since he was a comedic villain, why ruin that with some un-funny by-the-numbers cartoon end? I can't think an EE needs to be targeted to children, even if children would find being swallowed by a troll hilarious? Unsure

Re Tauriel and Radagast, agreed. Although I think I remember Philippa commenting about Tauriel's loose end or needing to find out what happens, mainly because I got irritated e.g. no mention of dwarves or Beorn. IMO any more than a possible blip of Tauriel looking mournful is too much, all things considered. Unimpressed

*Gloomily* I suspect the filmmakers don't feel that way, but I am leery of any more dynamics between Thranduil and Tauriel *uncomfortable*. But don't wanna de-rail the thread, so just sayin' re the EE it'd be nice to see a quick shot of Radagast actually giving Gandalf his staff, but I don't need to see anything after - beyond maybe a fast shot of him wandering off into the forest.Unsure

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 27 2015, 2:46pm

Post #20 of 36 (1289 views)
Shortcut
For me, no.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Alfrid finds the gold in Dale as in the theatrical cut of TH:BotFA. He flees the battle and eventually finds himself alone in the Long Marshes. A hiss alerts him to a presence nearby. It is Gollum, who asks him about Baggins, before wrapping his fingers around Alfrid's neck.

It's not that I can't see something like this being done. It's just enough IMO with the LOTR tie-ins already e.g. Thranduil and Legolas among others. For me, I get it. I mean if I wanted to watch LOTR, I'd watch LOTR *sigh*. Besides, didn't Gollum take a while to gain the courage to leave his underground home fearing the light and all?

And isn't the idea that Bilbo is slipping away fairly soon after the loss of his friend (in the films), unless horribly the Durins are laid out in state all winter long? So Gandalf and Bilbo couldn't "realistically" spend winter in Erebor?

(This post was edited by Avandel on Jul 27 2015, 2:51pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 27 2015, 2:48pm

Post #21 of 36 (1281 views)
Shortcut
How about nothing indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
How about nothing? Well, just to qualify that, it's possible that Alfrid will die, as others have said. If he does, he does, but I don't feel any need to see it.

Seconded. I really couldn't care less about Turiel or Alfrid, and don't want to see them. As for Radagast, the film-makers didn't bother to give him any particular role, so I don't see why he needs to be expanded. There are far more other things I would prefer to see.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 27 2015, 2:54pm

Post #22 of 36 (1277 views)
Shortcut
Well, re Radagast... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought there was a scene that was filmed of Beorn captured and being tortured, and Radagast saves him?

That, I could go for...any more of Beorn IMO can only be a good thing!Heart

Glorfindela
Valinor

Jul 27 2015, 3:01pm

Post #23 of 36 (1274 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

I really, really would not like to see a scene of Beorn being tortured (of all the possible scenes with Beorn).

In Reply To
I thought there was a scene that was filmed of Beorn captured and being tortured, and Radagast saves him?

That, I could go for...any more of Beorn IMO can only be a good thing!Heart

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 27 2015, 3:30pm

Post #24 of 36 (1261 views)
Shortcut
Realism (and Tolkien) has little to do with it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, according to Tolkien, it took Gollum almost three years to build up enough courage to leave the Misty Mountains. But I had no expectation that Jackson would keep to such a timetable. And I think that there was a general expectation from the audience that Gollum would be given a final cameo in TH:BotFA.

Likewise, in the extended (alternate?) footage of Bilbo's departure, it is seemingly Spring (or close to it). The ice in the river is melted and it seems that Winter is past, indicating that Gandalf and Bilbo must have wintered in Erebor (probably not Dale as it is still in ruins at this time).

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jul 27 2015, 3:32pm)

Imladris18
Lorien

Jul 27 2015, 4:37pm

Post #25 of 36 (1241 views)
Shortcut
I remember some interview shortly after the BotFA release where... [In reply to] Can't Post

...PJ, PB, or both made the comment that it was never in the cards for Tauriel to die, so no, she will not be dying unless they have a complete change of heart, which is unlikely.

Radagast comes in and cleans house at the end with the eagles and Beorn... there's really no point where it would make any kind of sense for him to die. I do expect/hope for some sort of short scene explaining where he will be going off to though.

Alfrid, probably dead due to the aforementioned scene that was filmed.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.