The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
A question about Cornelius Fudge in the Harry Potter books

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 26 2015, 8:44pm

Post #1 of 13 (652 views)
Shortcut
A question about Cornelius Fudge in the Harry Potter books Can't Post

I'm rereading the series and have just finished book four. At the end of the book - Cedric is dead, Harry is in the hospital ward, Dumbledore is trying to convince Fudge that Voldemort is back and Fudge doesn't believe that Harry is a reliable witness - Fudge says he's heard before of a curse scar causing problems.

Is this just a throw-away comment by Rowling, or is there a reference to this later in the series that I've missed? Does anyone know what Fudge is talking about?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kim
Valinor

Jul 26 2015, 11:16pm

Post #2 of 13 (619 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember any other mention of curse scar repercussions (or indeed, anyone else who had a curse scar). I always thought of this as Fudge blustering because he couldn't face the truth that Voldemort was back, and so just threw this out as a way to discount what Harry said.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2015, 11:29pm

Post #3 of 13 (614 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't he say... [In reply to] Can't Post

Addressing Dumbledore, "...I've *never* heard of a curse scar acting as an alarm bell before."

So I took it that he was discounting the idea that there was a connection between Harry and Voldemort, that Harry was just looking for attention. But there are lots of little details I miss that I pick up on when I 're-read the books. So maybe there's something else going on here. Shocked

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jul 26 2015, 11:31pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 27 2015, 5:31am

Post #4 of 13 (597 views)
Shortcut
My version of the book [In reply to] Can't Post

says, "You'll forgive me Dumbledore, but I've heard of a curse scar working as an alarm bell before..." (Just checked it - I shouldn't post about these things without the book open in front of me!)

Maybe something was mentioned in the first three books, that I glided over without picking up the reference.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 27 2015, 5:33am

Post #5 of 13 (586 views)
Shortcut
That may well be it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm used to Rowling mentioning something in passing that becomes important later on, and for some reason this comment stood out to me. But I could well be reading more into it than she intended.

Ataahua's stories

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2015, 6:26am

Post #6 of 13 (587 views)
Shortcut
Ooh! A discrepancy between versions [In reply to] Can't Post

My copy says, "You'll forgive me Dumbledore, but I've *never* heard of a curse scar acting as an alarm bell before..."

However, mine is the dumbed down American version. ( They didn't change everything, but the publishers apparently thought Americans would be turned off by the very name "Philosopher's Stone", thinking it would be a boring book about old Greek guys Tongue) So maybe when they were going through changing some of the British-isms they got a little carried away and changed more than they should have. Or maybe it's just a typo.Laugh I have the first Scholastic trade paperback, September 2002. If anyone has a later version, maybe they can check if it was corrected. (Page 706 in my version)

I wonder how many other differences there are, intentional and otherwise.Shocked

(This post was edited by zarabia on Jul 27 2015, 6:28am)

Maciliel
Valinor

Jul 27 2015, 6:32am

Post #7 of 13 (581 views)
Shortcut
the original title [In reply to] Can't Post

the original title was supposed to be "harry potter and kierkegaard's igneous rock."

i can see why that was changed.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2015, 6:34am

Post #8 of 13 (570 views)
Shortcut
Bwaahaahaa!// [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 27 2015, 7:20am

Post #9 of 13 (575 views)
Shortcut
It's a mistake in the UK edition, Ataahua.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine has the same as yours "I've heard of a curse scar working as an alarm bell before". But I've just checked out the HP Lexicon site and it says this was a mistake in the UK edition which was later corrected to "I've never heard of a curse scar working as an alarm bell before". Here's the page: http://www.hp-lexicon.org/.../differences-gf.html

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2015, 7:58am

Post #10 of 13 (570 views)
Shortcut
*Squee* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting this, dormouse! Smile I should have known that something like this existed, but I never got around to looking it up.

I understand some of the changes such as verb agreement with collective nouns and terms like pudding for dessert, but other changes seem pretty arbitrary. I'm just glad they left some of the original British English as is. For many Americans, for me anyway, that's part of the charm of the HP books. Smile

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 27 2015, 10:10am

Post #11 of 13 (550 views)
Shortcut
*shakes fist at fumble-fingered editor* [In reply to] Can't Post

Or maybe I should be shaking it at Rowling?

Thanks for the answer! One missing word makes such a difference.

Some of those UK-to-US changes seem a bit random, such as the use of 'curse'. I had wondered if the US editions had changed the spelling of 'Mum', but I guess the English spelling was kept?

Ataahua's stories

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2015, 12:55pm

Post #12 of 13 (542 views)
Shortcut
I wonder who they were "dumbing" it down for... [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the folks I know that read it (some all of 8 years old) would have figured out that "pudding" meant dessert.

I guess it shows the power of the American market. We're fine for marketing a product (thank you Scholastic and Warner Brothers) and buying it too; definitely the buying part. JKR will even change words here and there for those who lack the ability to read anything too foreign, to make sure of optimal sales. Just don't put us in front of the camera. We must really be "ugly Americans". Laugh

*sigh* Too bad the Brits (and Scholastic) didn't realize there were so many of us who really do get it...

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2015, 9:26pm

Post #13 of 13 (518 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

I may have to jump into those books again, just to examine a few things....thank you very much! My work will suffer, but hey, they make enough money already.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.