Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Which Franchises Can We Discuss in Off-Topic?

sanman

Jul 25 2015, 11:32pm

Post #1 of 6 (825 views)
Shortcut
Which Franchises Can We Discuss in Off-Topic? Can't Post

Hi,

I'm sorry if I caused any disturbance. I'm a fan of LOTR and other scifi & fantasy epics, and I'd posted in the off-topic section about an attempt by Indian filmmakers to make their own story-rich fictional universe like LOTR, but which was stylized on Indian mythology aesthetics as opposed to Tolkien. I wasn't trying to spam the forum, or break any rules. Yes, I saw a mod posted an advisory for people to post about what they've watched in the What-Have-You-Watched thread, but then I saw some exceptions to that like the Ant Man thread (seen it, meh, the rest of the MCU is better). So I thought it might be okay to post in a separate thread, because I just wanted to provide some background info on the Bahubali story and its production. The filmmaker, Rajamouli (disclaimer: I've no affiliation with him) is a big fan of LOTR, 300, Game of Thrones, etc and is trying to generate his own version in this genre, but with an Indian stylization. Again, sorry if I caused any disturbance - it wasn't intended as a spam or marketing post - I was just eager to share something I'd seen which I personally found interesting, and which I thought might be of interest to those who like big epic fantasy stories.

(This post was edited by sanman on Jul 25 2015, 11:43pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 26 2015, 12:03am

Post #2 of 6 (792 views)
Shortcut
Inconsistant moderation? [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a slam on the mods, but their only human and enforcement of board discipline can be a little uneven at times. Some of those threads you mention probably should have been folded into the "What are you watching?" topic. However, others might involve side-matters that deserve separate attention.

Maybe you should start a topic aimed more squarely at Rajamouli and his fellow Indian filmmakers rather than specific films.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2015, 4:02am

Post #3 of 6 (773 views)
Shortcut
I have wondered about this too [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe the what are you watching thread needs to run twice a week or split into big screen and small screen.

Was it that some of the threads got responses before the mods got to them?

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 26 2015, 4:33am

Post #4 of 6 (772 views)
Shortcut
Somewhat, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

It *is* inconsistent somewhat, some of which is due to timing. The Ant Man thread was posted after the regular 'What have you been watching' thread had fallen off Page 1. The new WHYBW thread was posted shortly thereafter. So, it *looks* like it was okay to have them on Page 1 at the same time. But, in reality, the Ant Man thread could have, and should have, just waited until the regular thread was posted, and one of us mods should have locked it. But, because the regular thread had fallen off of page 1, the mods that saw it probably let it slide.

I've noticed more and more movie threads popping up on OT lately, which is great that it's a topic people want to talk about, but we don't want OT to be overrun with multiple separate threads about movies. Every time someone posts a new movie thread, it knocks another OT thread off of page 1, which is why we encourage people to post in the weekly thread in the first place. There will still be grey areas, of course, like the current 'Who is your fav Game of Thrones Character' thread. I think that's different enough than, say, discussing the latest season or episode, to stand on its own.

Regarding the India movie, it's better to err on following the mods' requests than not. Plus, there were seven posts by the same person about the same movie in that thread. It also had multiple promotional-type links that made no attempt to engage people in discussion. *That* was why it was deleted for spamming. It can be re-posted as one post in the existing WHYBW thread if the user would like to. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 27 2015, 12:29am

Post #5 of 6 (699 views)
Shortcut
Indeed Altaira - the thread speed sometimes gets the better of me! [In reply to] Can't Post

As popular and wide-ranging (and welcome to all!) as the Watching discussion is, I will make a real effort to pop up a new start once we fall to page 2.

And I would welcome new posters, and people who are watching or enthusiastic about different genres and artists. Don't be put off by the mass of Poldark love or my nepotistic chatting about The Walking Dead. Laugh

So if I lag a bit, know I am getting ready to get a fresh post as soon as we fall off. Darned work gets in the way sometimes. Fishing and gardening too, it really interferes.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 27 2015, 12:39am

Post #6 of 6 (691 views)
Shortcut
Belated TORn welcome, Sanman! [In reply to] Can't Post

And as I posted above, do feel free to join in the weekly thread. It sounds like you have interesting info to share with us.Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.