The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Orcs and Satyrs

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 24 2015, 9:25pm

Post #1 of 3 (1147 views)
Shortcut
Orcs and Satyrs Can't Post

I am the only one around here who read the books imagining the orcs as ugly satyr?

I think this make sense, because horns and hooves are scary...

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

Hey guys, my blog is: dainpigblog.blogspot.com

squire
Half-elven

Jul 24 2015, 9:55pm

Post #2 of 3 (1133 views)
Shortcut
It never occurred to me [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose because to the degree that Tolkien describes Orcs, he emphasizes their squat, bow-legged bodies, shortness, squinty eyes, hairy but not furry skin, and fangs while leaving no doubt that they are essentially humanoid in that they can cross-breed with humans and/or elves. Satyrs can be scary things, as you say, but their hooves and horns are much more 'inhuman' than what I always saw the orcs as being.

As well, satyrs have a sexual overtone from classical mythology and a diabolical overtone from Christian mythology, both of which directions I think Tolkien wanted to steer away from in creating his Middle-earth.

That is a great picture you found, and I agree that in some other fantasy universe such creatures could definitely occupy the place of orcs as the villainous hordes of the Dark Lord..

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Morthoron
Gondor

Jul 26 2015, 1:28am

Post #3 of 3 (1082 views)
Shortcut
Don't see it, personally... [In reply to] Can't Post

Satyrs were not evil but amoral followers of Dionysus in the god's revels. They danced about with nymphs and carried off women, and their description by the Greeks and Romans were not that they were ugly, even with some equine or goat features.The Greeks portrayed them as very human-looking, unlike the picture you displayed, which is much more animalistic, and the Romans eventually convoluted the satyr with another mythic creature the faun. Unlike Orcs, satyrs were not murderers, pillagers or warlike, and in some stories were actually benevolently inclined to mortals.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

(This post was edited by Morthoron on Jul 26 2015, 1:30am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.