Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's Friday, and the Fiesta bar is open!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 24 2015, 4:11pm

Post #1 of 34 (1002 views)
Shortcut
It's Friday, and the Fiesta bar is open! Can't Post

Welcome to Fiesta Friday, everyone! Making it to another weekend deserves to be celebrated! So, the bar has been well stocked with all your favorite beverages and the buffet looks especially delicious today.

Is it a hot summer (or cold winter) where you are? I have to say that, though it's still to hot for me, it's pretty much been a perfect summer here in Colorado - getting into the low 90's f every now and then, but with lots of mid- to low-80s days and some days a few weeks ago where I actually had to break out my turtlenecks again because the highs were in the mid- 60's! Shocked

How do you stay cool when it's hot? Our fav is to go see a movie. Do grab a drink and a nibble and let us know!

For a bit of a laugh, I'll leave you with this short YouTube video of a fly that flew into a nest box of some barn owl babies on the cam I like to watch at Cornell University's all about birds site. Funny!!!

*kicks juke box* "Closer to Fine" by the Indigo Girls starts to play.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!! SmileCoolHeart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 24 2015, 4:31pm

Post #2 of 34 (958 views)
Shortcut
Happy Friday Everyone!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey there Altaira! Thanks for the great music and fun peeks :)

We've had a perfect summer here in mid-Michigan, too. Only a few temps pushing 90s. I'm getting ready for by g'daughter coming for a 2-week visit starting next weekend *sqeeeeeeeee!* She's so awesome!!

Thanks for taking care of us... and have a great weekend! :)

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2015, 4:34pm

Post #3 of 34 (955 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Altaira! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Aw, cute video!

And yeah, it just got normal-Summer-hot here this week. Going to see a movie sounds good to me (in fact, I actually need to go see Ant-Man soon)! :)

I'll have a Summer Usual, please; thanks, and I hope you have a great weekend, Altaira! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 24 2015, 4:36pm

Post #4 of 34 (950 views)
Shortcut
Same to you, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

The visit is almost here! You must be so excited. Smile

Good luck with any last minute preparations. *pours cold pink lemonade into a tall glass of ice*

Have a good one, gramma! Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 24 2015, 4:39pm

Post #5 of 34 (952 views)
Shortcut
Ant Man is at the top of our list too [In reply to] Can't Post

..along with Mr. Holmes. We'll try to catch at least one of those next weekend. I hope you get to the movies soon, then!

Here's a nice, cold miruvor and 7-Up while you plan your weekend. Smile

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2015, 5:02pm

Post #6 of 34 (947 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Ciars
Rohan

Jul 24 2015, 5:49pm

Post #7 of 34 (951 views)
Shortcut
*puts an umbrella in the corner* [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a rainy few days here, typical summer weather! On the plus side the plants don't need watering. This time next week though, I shall be in sunny Spain and plan to be lounging on a beach with my kindle! A nice warm mocha with a touch of brandy will keep me warm in the meantime! Hope most have a drier weekend than what's on offer here, or at least have waterproof clothing!

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 24 2015, 6:05pm

Post #8 of 34 (942 views)
Shortcut
I here the rain in Spain [In reply to] Can't Post

..stays mainly on the plain - not the beach, lol. So, you should be in luck! Laugh

*pours a dollop of brandy into a nice steaming mocha* Yum!!

Have fun prepping for the holiday!

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 24 2015, 6:06pm

Post #9 of 34 (938 views)
Shortcut
**Puts out 'self-serve' sign*. The Fiesta bar is open all weeked. Help yourselves, dear friends //! [In reply to] Can't Post

CoolHeartSmile

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 24 2015, 7:39pm

Post #10 of 34 (928 views)
Shortcut
Great video, Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved the one owl turning his head over and over.

Harvesting blueberries and squash. Pumpkins didn't make it, the pest and disease pressure here is nuts for pumpkins and unless I choose to greenhouse them, I'll be buying them at the farmstand. Trying to work out planting sites for all the things I want to fit in.

So lots of watering, in and out of the pool. All in all, not bad. Cool Happy weekend everyone. Stay cool to N. Hemis, and good luck with that flu bug down south.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 24 2015, 8:34pm

Post #11 of 34 (919 views)
Shortcut
A day long planned-for has arrived. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since 1980 there have been plans to establish a centre for the artworks of New Zealander Len Lye - and today the Len Lye Centre finally opens its doors. The exterior is almost entirely stainless steel, shined to a mirror finish, and it's been attracting the public like magpies to a shiny object. I had a tour through it yesterday and it looks F.A.B.

Lots of photos and a video are here.

Thankfully we've got a sunny day for the opening as there is also going to be two days of street parties. (Tomorrow is forecast for gales, but let's not think about that right now.)

I'll just have a hot chocolate and warm up before heading outside. Happy end of the week, everyone!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 24 2015, 8:52pm

Post #12 of 34 (909 views)
Shortcut
It looks amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad to see the great day has arrived! I might have to take a trip up your way some time.

Rumour has it that our art gallery might open by the end of this year. Pfft, I'll believe that when I see it. Five years of no art...Unsure

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 24 2015, 9:06pm

Post #13 of 34 (908 views)
Shortcut
This looks worth a road trip! [In reply to] Can't Post

It does look fab. I've been hearing a lot about it on Radio NZ this week. An amazing project, and a great setting.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 24 2015, 9:12pm

Post #14 of 34 (915 views)
Shortcut
The sun has returned [In reply to] Can't Post

Fog is lifting to reveal a gorgeous day.

The cold-that-wouldn't-go-away is 90% gone, at last! I felt well enough to go riding this week. Here's the lovely mare I rode (with a rather younger rider than I in the pic).

Work is going really well on the second draft of my latest novel. The only "problem" is slowing down - because it's not intensely creative like first draft writing is, I can keep it up all day long, and realise at the end of the day that the reason I'm so tired is that I've been going for 14 hours with only a couple of ten minute breaks. :)

Time for second espresso. Happy weekend, everyone.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 24 2015, 9:18pm

Post #15 of 34 (909 views)
Shortcut
I think I spy [In reply to] Can't Post

some Arab in that mare. Very nice.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 24 2015, 9:24pm

Post #16 of 34 (906 views)
Shortcut
She does have that demeanour [In reply to] Can't Post

She's mostly Holsteiner and Hannovarian, according to her owner. She's a big girl! It feels quite a long way down, especially when dismounting.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2015, 12:55am

Post #17 of 34 (889 views)
Shortcut
We've been 19 months without the Govett-Brewster, [In reply to] Can't Post

which was earthquake-strengthened at the same time as the Len Lye Centre was built, and stepping inside it again felt like a bit of home had returned. But being without a city gallery for five years? That really sucks.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 25 2015, 4:20am

Post #18 of 34 (873 views)
Shortcut
*grabs cup of ice cream* [In reply to] Can't Post

Rather, a wonderful ice cream sandwich. Mmm! Cool

Not many plans around here this weekend. I do have to work tonight (hoping to be done in 4 hours...), but I'm hoping for a good amount of lounging around. Well, while watching movies for work, that is. Angelic

Weather, you ask? Hmm, well, it's more or less the same here everyday (lovely SoCal). I've been resting my feet in the apartment complex pool once I'm home each day, which is (unsurprisingly) relaxing.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2015, 4:34am

Post #19 of 34 (869 views)
Shortcut
Methinks I need a hot toddy... [In reply to] Can't Post

and, alas, not the kind that's short and hairy and likes to shout "Du Bekar!" unexpectedly.

I've been in bed the last three days with a nasty flu, and am just today making it out of bed for a few minutes at a time to tend things in the house (kids included), which is a good thing because Mr. Ro got slammed last night by the same bug and has hardly emerged from the spare bed since. Joys of flu season! We're keeping our fingers crossed that the kids stay well.

Last weekend I competed in my 5th poultry show of the year -- well, I didn't, but my chickens did. I'm kind of addicted to this now! This last show was the National show, so pretty stiff competition there! All of my birds have done well through the shows, and three that I bred have done really well: one took Best Araucana (out of 29 -- a huge entry) plus South Island Champion Male Araucana three weeks ago; his son took Reserve Araucana (out of 23) the week before that; and a daughter (Twinkle!) has taken Reserve Araucana twice (out of 24 and 29 -- that latter one was taking Reserve to her dad's taking Best!) plus took 2nd Reserve NZ Champion Any Other Colour Araucana (out of 23), at the National show. Twinkle's my little star. :-)

Happy weekend to one and all, and I hope you're staying warm, or cool, whichever you prefer right now!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2015, 4:36am

Post #20 of 34 (864 views)
Shortcut
Mmmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love ice cream sandwiches. Don't think they've been invented down here yet, though! Sounds like things are going pretty well for you -- enjoy that lounging, and you do know that many of us rather wish *we* could watch movies for work too? Smile Nice job. Happy weekend!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2015, 4:40am

Post #21 of 34 (863 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous mare! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love big-boned warmbloods like that. I bet she's fun to ride. Lovely head, too.

Glad you're almost over your cold -- can't believe it lasted so long!

At 14 hours a day, how long will it take you to finish the 2nd draft? I'd imagine it will go pretty quickly! How much of a rewrite do you do -- is it just relatively minor reworkings or a major overhaul? I'm always curious about people's writing processes.

Hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend and that the fog stays away!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2015, 4:43am

Post #22 of 34 (867 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and Altaira... [In reply to] Can't Post

I LOVE that owlet video!!! They made me laugh so hard, looking like little puppets following that fly. And funny, too, that in that short clip they seemed to have their own personalities -- I peg the one on the left as female, for no good reason except she looks it; and the head-turner was adorable. The one closer to the camera seemed hot, though -- if they're up in the roof of what looks like some large shed in the summer, I bet they get pretty warm. Have you watched them since they were newly hatched? Thanks for sharing that!

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 25 2015, 4:44am

Post #23 of 34 (862 views)
Shortcut
Luckily [In reply to] Can't Post

'What breed is Kimi's horse?' wasn't a question for me on Mastermind. Laugh

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2015, 4:46am

Post #24 of 34 (859 views)
Shortcut
Howdy, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just for old times' sake:

{{{{{{FLYINGTACKLEHUG}}}}}
Tongue

How fun that your granddaughter's coming for a nice long visit! I bet she thinks you're the coolest gramma ever. I hope you have a great weekend getting ready for her!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2015, 5:43am

Post #25 of 34 (851 views)
Shortcut
:) // [In reply to] Can't Post

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.