The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 24 2015, 5:09am

Post #1 of 9 (1195 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! Can't Post

Gaaah! I think my mistake was in believing, despite what the calendar was telling me, that summer would somehow be the less-busy time of year for me & mine. Yellowstone was wonderful, even when Beamer (my daughter) passed her cold on to me. We went fish - er - practiced casting our lines in Idaho, saw the sights and animals in the Park, caught up with friends along the way. No sooner had we gotten home, and Girl Scout Day Camp started. I'm the advisor for the older girls who help run the camp. All 24 of them. With a co-leader, thankfully. Keeping track of 24 teenaged girls for a week definitely helps with the Walk mileage!

So, how go your walks? What's keeping you active these days?

My progress:
Miles covered (three weeks): 71
Cumulative miles: 609
Goal: Bag End to Rivendell

So I'm now climbing mountains with the Fellowship, on our way to Lothlorien by way of Caradhras. Not the route I'd have chosen, but Gandalf was adamant. The old grumpy-gus.

The good news is, I'll be sticking close to home for the rest of our summer, so my posts should be more regular - and I might even be able to check in on other threads here - yay! I'm hoping to add some gardening and cleaning miles over the next few weeks.

Arandiel

Resources
The Walk with the Fellowship Challenge
The Eowyn Challenge Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site includes helpful activity conversion charts, mileages for Bilbo's Hobbitty journey home, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page is useful for keeping track of mileage, though be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell - and Beyond! is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity.

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2015, 11:51am

Post #2 of 9 (1162 views)
Shortcut
24!? [In reply to] Can't Post

24 fledglings are almost too much and 24 hours are never enough :) Summers are a surprise for me, too. I'm so glad you had such a great vacation, but bummed for Beamer and You had to deal with colds... that's not fair!

Your troop is so lucky to have you. What a great team you are!

I've been cleaning, buildings and arranging...getting ready for my g'daughter's visit next weekend. I can't WAIT to see her!

As for the Fellowship, we're blindfolded and making our way to the heart of Lorien. Then... a nice rest.

Thanks for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel... and pace yourself!

Miles covered: 26 miles 7/23
Cumulated miles: 877
CHALLENGE: The Lord of the Rings Walk with the Fellowship Challenge!
GOAL: Walk to Lothlórien and peek into a mirror – 462 miles + 458 (Rivendell) = 920 Cumulated miles

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 28 2015, 8:44pm

Post #3 of 9 (1135 views)
Shortcut
A grandkid visit - how grand! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you and your granddaughter have loads of fun after all your cleaning, arranging and building! Cool

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2015, 4:08am

Post #4 of 9 (1103 views)
Shortcut
Thursday, July 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

We're still on page 1, so let's post our updates here this week!

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 11
Cumulative miles: 620
Goal: Bag End to Rivendell

I had a slow week, mileage-wise. Weirdly, sorting through my stuff involved a lot of being still. But I'm working my walks back in for this week, so I should make better progress on the Walk - even if it means taking longer to do the clearing-out.

- Ara

BlackFox
Half-elven

Aug 1 2015, 9:10am

Post #5 of 9 (1060 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Arandiel! [In reply to] Can't Post

I missed last week's update, which means I have two weeks worth of miles to note down this time.

I've been spending a lot of time sitting behind books and/or computer screen lately, so I've made it my mission to balance it off with as much physical activity during the breaks as possible.

Miles covered this past two weeks: 92
Cumulative miles: 920 + 172 = 1092
Goal: Lothlórien to Rauros

In Middle-earth, I've reached the North Undeep as I continue south along the Great River.

Happy walking, everyone!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 2 2015, 8:49pm

Post #6 of 9 (1037 views)
Shortcut
<waves> Hi, BlackFox! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm starting to see a correlation in my own life between 'busy' and 'not as active' - worrying trend, that... Crazy

So I hope your new mission is successful, and you're inspiring me to do the same. Wink

Have a good next week!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 3 2015, 11:05pm

Post #7 of 9 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Howdy Travellers!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Summer is usually slow north of the equator with everyone off doing summery things. My g'daughter and I are getting in some awesome walks already... so expect the mileage to be really good this week!

As of last Thursday, I did very well. I will very soon make it to visit with the Lady Galadriel. Right now, we've been able to take off our blindfolds atop the hill and are looking down on Caras Galadon.

I hope everyone is having an awesome journey! Thanks so much for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel! Hang in there!

Miles covered: 28 miles 7/28
Cumulated miles: 905
CHALLENGE: The Lord of the Rings Walk with the Fellowship Challenge!
GOAL: Walk to Lothlórien and peek into a mirror – 462 miles + 458 (Rivendell) = 920 Cumulated miles

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 3 2015, 11:07pm

Post #8 of 9 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Books and Technology [In reply to] Can't Post

They really do cramp our style sometimes ;)

Have a great week!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Aug 4 2015, 3:23am

Post #9 of 9 (1019 views)
Shortcut
Hey, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Walking with your granddaughter sounds like a wonderful way to spend the week - I hope you both enjoy it!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.