The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How Does Your Garden Grow?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How Does you Garden Grow?
Sideways
Only in my head
Flowers only (small-medium scale)
Flowers only (large scale) neighbors think they live next to a garden center
Flowers and veggies (small-medium scale)
Flowers and veggies (large scale)
Flowers and Veggies and Trees (oh my!)
Indoors
Community Garden
Patio/top of building
Straight down
Other
View Results (40 votes)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 22 2015, 2:20am

Post #26 of 94 (2637 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I was thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

of you, for sure!

Such fun to see the pictures!

You may have scores of drooling TORnfolk checking their Palantirs and climbing Amon Hen to try to find your garden . . . ShockedCool

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 22 2015, 2:29am

Post #27 of 94 (2632 views)
Shortcut
Thankee Mayor! I do love to chat about it all. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Such fun to see the pictures!

You may have scores of drooling TORnfolk checking their Palantirs and climbing Amon Hen to try to find your garden . . . ShockedCool

Hmm...does Tolkienia have an Official Orchardist? Laugh hinthinthint

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 22 2015, 7:02pm

Post #28 of 94 (2581 views)
Shortcut
Does now!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is the Official Monument at the corner of the Tolkienia National Orchard, with one of your prize apple depicted on the pinnacle.

Salary will be paid at the rate of 2 pecks of crab apples per month, except in the winter, where 16 jars of Mulberry preserves will be delivered bi-monthly.

Your official installation will take place as soon as Daniel has time to design your Official Hat.

Sly

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 22 2015, 10:15pm

Post #29 of 94 (2559 views)
Shortcut
How appropriate! [In reply to] Can't Post

Brings back memories of Sam plunking Bill Ferny on the nose with one of those - the "Waste of a Good Apple" memorial! Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 22 2015, 10:30pm

Post #30 of 94 (2557 views)
Shortcut
Proud I is, Mayor! And I covet an official hat! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully, as in Jack to Barbossa: A Really BIG one.Cool

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 12:17am

Post #31 of 94 (2553 views)
Shortcut
I suddenly have this mental image of a tour of a crazy ward. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm afraid if I get another blueberry hubby will commit me, or something. Laugh

"So, the guy strapped down who keeps asking for a butcher knife?"
--"Serial killer."
"And the little guy who keeps saying he'll conquer Europe?"
--"Napoleon complex."
"What about the lady with a Long Island accent and blueberry stains all over her pajamas?"
--"Tragic case; don't ask. And don't mention Miracle-Gro, mulch, or pruning either."

Wink

Kim
Valinor

Jul 23 2015, 12:52am

Post #32 of 94 (2546 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's quite a sad case [In reply to] Can't Post

She keeps mumbling something about being able to fit in just one more tree...

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 2:11am

Post #33 of 94 (2540 views)
Shortcut
OH, you two are so funny. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ha. Haha.

I'm working on fitting five more, thank you very much. If I could just get the sleeves of htis funny jacket loosened up, I'd give you all the details.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jul 23 2015, 2:13am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 2:13am

Post #34 of 94 (2541 views)
Shortcut
I dunno...is my Lawn Guyhland accent that recognizable? [In reply to] Can't Post

Prolly. Crazy

BTW, did I hear you mention mulch?

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jul 23 2015, 2:13am)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2015, 11:33am

Post #35 of 94 (2504 views)
Shortcut
Oooooh. Must try that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Recipe please? Smile

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2015, 11:49am

Post #36 of 94 (2506 views)
Shortcut
Right now in my head and on paper. [In reply to] Can't Post

I found some good sales on bulbs that will be delivered later in thx year. I also await my visit with the garden fairy at a special time in the fall. I hope she is still able to see me. I heard she's been tied up recently ... WinkLaugh

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jul 23 2015, 8:02pm

Post #37 of 94 (2453 views)
Shortcut
Echoing Brethil: You did ask... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ahem. Blush

* Edible:
Three old apple trees (unidentified), two young ones that got eaten by hares last winter but have recovered and might grow into "apple bushes" (unidentified), and two 3-yr-old apple saplings (of different local breeds).
Rhubarb.
Three different breeds of black currants, two red currants, one pink currant.
Raspberry.
Two varieties of gooseberry bushes.
Wild strawberry and blueberry.
Basil (indoors).

* Pretties (I had a lot of educational fun checking out all the names in English... Tongue):
Five varieties of old roses (some of them local/national varieties).
Firelilies, daylilies and martagon lily.
Two small peonies.
Lilacs, Snow-in-Summer, tulips, irises, hostas, foxgloves, dwarf periwinkle, cranesbill, poppies, heartleaf bergenia, giant bellflower, peach-leaved bellflower, hop, thicket creeper, creeping jenny, alpine clematis, aruncus, ninebark, and this plant that has way too many names in English for me to choose from...

* On the wild side, but welcome and "nurtured" (saved from weeding or mowing) on certain areas - bees, bumblebees and butterflies like many of these:
Daisy, four kinds of clovers, tufted vetch, bird's-foot trefoil, bird's-eye speedwell, melancholy thistle and marsh thistle, forget-me-not, common self-heal, lady's mantle, and many I don't know the name of.

* Trees (some young, some full grown): birches, aspens, oaks, maples, junipers, rowans, firs.

* Also growing Unsure invasive species (already here when we moved, like many others in this post...) - pretty enough but must be kept under control:
Lupines, giant knotweed, bindweed.

(In dreams and plans: strawberries, cherries, pears, peas, carrots, potatoes, herbs, mushrooms, all kinds of flowers, rhododendron etc...)

Sorry for too many details, I got carried away...

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Jul 23 2015, 8:05pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 10:55pm

Post #38 of 94 (2432 views)
Shortcut
I think as this is a stone apple, [In reply to] Can't Post

throwing it at anyone might be a challenge. I wonder, though . . . could this be the Tolkienian Version of the Stone of Erech?

The Stone of Brethil--the symbol for all those who promised to come help pick, and were promised a share of the goodies, but must now forever languish outside the fence. FrownWink

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 11:00pm

Post #39 of 94 (2433 views)
Shortcut
Love this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the "naturalized" version you've got there. I love having tons of flowers around, but after getting a batch of City Compost, all sorts of fungus now "blooms" here so there are lots of things I'd love to grow that I can't

Love the flower in that link!Smile

It sounds like you're enjoying the mysteries you inherited from the former owners.

I'd love to have a property like that, but I do enjoy what I have, since I"m lucky to live on a double block on the corner.

Send us some pics of your apples when they're ripe. I bet Brethel could identify them (or maybe Darkstone too).

Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 11:48pm

Post #40 of 94 (2428 views)
Shortcut
Hah my dear, we both tend to get carried away! [In reply to] Can't Post

Lovely to see a comprehensive list. And apple bushes are awesome: pedestrian orcharding makes sense on so many levels.
I noticed a gang of black longhorn bees having a sleepover underneath one of my coneflowers. I think they can get nectar from the base of the flower; and it looks like 5 of them ate 'til they were full, then all curled up and slept under the flower for the night. SO awesome. I tried to get a picture but didn't want to disturb them. Tons of bees on my oregano that I let flower. Love all the bees, spotting different types.
Weather wise, what is your usual growing season Ilmatar?

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 11:49pm

Post #41 of 94 (2429 views)
Shortcut
*ROFL, Mayor!* // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think as this is a stone apple, throwing it at anyone might be a challenge. I wonder, though . . . could this be the Tolkienian Version of the Stone of Erech?

The Stone of Brethil--the symbol for all those who promised to come help pick, and were promised a share of the goodies, but must now forever languish outside the fence. FrownWink

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 24 2015, 12:25am

Post #42 of 94 (2421 views)
Shortcut
Stand by until I ask Mom... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Recipe please? Smile

If I don't get back to you in a day or two, give me a nudge.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 24 2015, 6:30am

Post #43 of 94 (2400 views)
Shortcut
I chose flowers, veggies, trees, indoors and other [In reply to] Can't Post

weeds being the 'other', sadly. Bindweed is evil, evil stuff. Mad

Big veggie garden, currently home to flowering onions, flowering carrots, herbs, unproductive grape, gooseberry that jettisoned all its berries in a sudden temperature swing this spring, and raspberries that are taking the year off from setting fruit in protest of the horrid weather we've had the past two years - but next year should be glorious for them, as they fruit on second-year canes. Oh, and Marjorie the Compost Heap. She's a reliable font of wisdom and soil amendments.

We just had to cut down the cherry tree - last November's sudden freeze was the death knell that followed last summer's bumper crop swan-song. My Hobbit (son) has a one-year-old apple in his room that he wants to plant out (he has a fondness for sprouting seeds - lemon, roses, avocado - but the apple is the one that's survived). And we have five other big trees, plus my elderberry. Our lawns are buffalo grass (warm-season, native to our area) and we have lots of native and water-wise flowering plants, especially in the front yard. Columbine (our state flower), roses, ice plant, daisies, my mom's hydrangea, peonies, bell flowers, hostas, lamium, Jacob's ladder, spiderwort, various grasses, pulmonaria, penstemon, lady's mantle, coral bells, yarrow, clematis, day lilies, I'm probably forgetting some. Like tulips, crocuses and hyacinths...

Indoors, well, it's a jungle. I can't help it. Ferns, philodendron, ficuses, Norfolk Island pine, shamrocks, English ivy, Swedish ivy, spider plants, African violets, Christmas cactuses, ponytail palm, aloe veras, jades, hoya, lipstick plant, an epiphyllium of truly Seussian proportions. Some are my mom's, some are my kids', but I have to claim responsibility for many of them.

The secret to indoor plants is finding the Goldilocks zone for light and water - not too much (the more usual problem), not too little (rarer, but it can happen). But even more than that, find a garden center you can trust - preferably someone who grows the plants locally and keeps a clean, minimally-buggy greenhouse. Then ask them how to keep the plants healthy because they obviously know what they're doing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 24 2015, 3:48pm

Post #44 of 94 (2375 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear on bad weather! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sympathies on your lost cherry, Arandiel. I lost a tree to the late freeze we had - multigraft plum. It was in full bloom and got zapped right to the cambium when we fell to 29f. In almost MAY (!). Huh?????
I have a WhiteGold cherry on dwarfing rootstock (G5) I on order for spring. Self fertile sweet cherry, if you are looking for a replacement; so is its sister BlackGold.
Love that the kids get in on the action. Mine only cares about planes. Laugh

Kudos to your leafy indoors, great air filters! I'm not great with indoor plants, I confess. I have a peace lily that is doing well right now, but I hesitate to get more. Having cats for many years they would chew everything to death, so I'm inexperienced with something actually surviving inside.

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jul 24 2015, 8:40pm

Post #45 of 94 (2352 views)
Shortcut
Thank you :) [In reply to] Can't Post

The garden/yard is half wild :) and I like it that way. There are places that are more "cultivated" and others that are pretty much left to their own devices.

I have never heard of City Compost before and Googled it - does it mean that the city you live in offers you compost you can go and pick up? Over here we just buy our compost in plastic sacks from gardening stores. Sorry to hear about the fungus. Unimpressed

We moved here last winter - it's a small farm from the 1950s, so there are decades worth of various plants - and you are right, from early spring on it has been a gardener's adventure to step out every day and see what new might have emerged somewhere!

The rhubarb I'm especially proud of, as I'm an amateur gardener... It is a replanted section of the huge one there was in our old place. I dug up a part of it last autumn, kept it alive over winter in an outbuilding and planted in spring. I'm so happy it's doing well here.

Thanks for the idea, I will send some apple pics later. But they might prove a challenge Tongue as I suspect that since they are about as old as the house, they are probably some of the old Finnish varieties (below in bloom). Smile

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jul 24 2015, 8:56pm

Post #46 of 94 (2345 views)
Shortcut
It's so easy to get carried away... [In reply to] Can't Post

...And fun Tongue so I hope it doesn't matter...

The list was not comprehensive after all: I had forgotten crocus, lily-of-the-valley, cowslip, columbines... Still forgetting something I'm sure.

The bees' sleepover under a coneflower sounds lovely! I have tried taking pictures of different types of bees and bumblebees (and butterflies, beetles and caterpillars...). Your oregano reminded me of the mint that grew at our old place - bumblebees and butterflies used to love it! I must plant some here as well - and after re-reading your previous post, I think I'd like some hyssop too, for bees. Here are five bumblebees and a peacock butterfly enjoying the mint. Smile

Our growing season is usually from early May to late August. Apples are not nearly ripe yet, but in the meantime I should go to the woods and look for mushrooms, blueberries and (soon) lingonberries...
P.S. Of course we can also make our own compost - just bought a composter!

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Jul 24 2015, 9:05pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 24 2015, 8:58pm

Post #47 of 94 (2346 views)
Shortcut
Lovely pics! [In reply to] Can't Post

And a varied landscape is really the best, versus neat monoculture. Better pollination, less chance for pests to get established. You are clearly in the right frame of mind in your planning - or letting nature do some of the planning. Wink
So exciting to get apples. ID is tricky, as apples open-pollinate you never know what seedling someone may have planted. Do your apples have any graft scars - lumpy areas near the base of the trunk, maybe slight differences in bark? If they are grafted trees, they will be a bred cultivar. It doesn't matter much - you can get a feel by when they ripen and the truth is, the best apple EVER is the one you grow yourself. Cool
Aren't the blooms gorgeous??? My little columnars have such a pretty bloom...the big tree does too.

I have municipal/city compost here. Lovely black gold it is. I am there a lot, they don't ask for my ID anymore (to prove residence). I think they've decided to avoid the very, very grubby lady with the shovel. Laugh

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jul 24 2015, 9:02pm

Post #48 of 94 (2346 views)
Shortcut
Lovely plants :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm happy you posted a detailed list, and Googled those names that were unfamiliar (to find out I know most of them in Finnish) - it must be so beautiful over there with all those flowers! *makes more flower plans*

I used to have more houseplants too, but now there are only half a dozen. Some plants didn't like the move midwinter - no matter that I had protected them from the cold - and decided to die off soon after we got here. I would really like a jungle too.

I hear you about this:

Bindweed is evil, evil stuff. Mad

I just battled this Plant of Darkness again today. In one corner it had been given free run by the people who used to live here, and now it's trying to spread to both our garden in one direction and the forest in the other. I like most plants, but this one I hate - I hate the weed and its ongoing mission to seek out other plants, to smother and strangle them and to boldly go where no one has ever wanted it... Crazy

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 24 2015, 9:05pm

Post #49 of 94 (2346 views)
Shortcut
Lily of the valley and mint [In reply to] Can't Post

wish to be benign dictators here! They try annually to take the whole place over. Laugh

I love the hyssop. It literally is waving like a breeze from the bees on it; I lose count at 50 at a time. If you plant it, just don't cut it back in fall: it dislikes open stems for water to get to the roots. Other than that its a carefree plant.

That's it near the dead pine trunk I am training Virginia creeper up, for the berries it makes for the birds. Another bee fave here is purple liatris: and the birds love the seeds, which I have never read about anyplace. Cardinals and chickadees spend hours working the seedheads in fall. THAT is another carefree plant - again, almost a bit TOO carefree!!!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 24 2015, 9:09pm

Post #50 of 94 (2342 views)
Shortcut
Tee hee! Garden Fairy Godmother is busy tagging your soon-to-be adopted plant children! [In reply to] Can't Post

BTW, did you want me to try to start you a mulberry?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.