Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Its the-100%-humidity ... What have YOU been Watching thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 21 2015, 8:03pm

Post #1 of 117 (1449 views)
Shortcut
Its the-100%-humidity ... What have YOU been Watching thread! Can't Post

This week was a poor show for me watching-wise. Full brutal, injuring-type weekend of work limited me. I have Poldark ready to roll and - I'm really excited to watch the rest of this! - James Earl Jones and Angela Lansbury's theatrical version of Driving Miss Daisy. Notwithstanding that Vader-voice, James Earl has a big-kid, gentle but feisty air to this role. Love it. Got about halfway through before conking out. Thank goodness for the DVR.

Last week I caught the Chasing Pluto show on PBS - the chatting about Pluto (thanks Kelly!) reminded me to make time for it. Glad I did.

Death In Paradise was fun...no big spoilers but the water on the deck that the Boss notices gave the How away for me, and thus the Who, pretty early on. Still darned fun to watch. Needs to be longer. Or on more often.

Its Father Brown night, and a repeat of one of my favorite FBs.

So...either sweltering hot or battling S. Hemi flu...what have YOU all been watching this week? Cool

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jul 21 2015, 11:33pm

Post #2 of 117 (1125 views)
Shortcut
Driving Miss Daisy [In reply to] Can't Post

On Great Performances. It was a joy watching veterans Angela Lansbury and James Earl Jones spin their take on the characters. Apparently they had both wanted to play the roles for some time. I'm happy for them that, in their 80's - late 80's in Angela Lansbury's case, they both felt well enough to take it on an Australian tour.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 22 2015, 12:33am

Post #3 of 117 (1113 views)
Shortcut
They were superb! [In reply to] Can't Post

They bounce off each other so well - and I found myself wiping my eyes when Daisy said "Hoke, you're my best friend"...Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kim
Valinor

Jul 22 2015, 2:20am

Post #4 of 117 (1115 views)
Shortcut
Francis you twit...I mean, Poldark *spoilers for last Sunday's ep" [In reply to] Can't Post

Good grief Francis, could you try any harder to screw up your life (and your family's while you're at it?) Grrrr. That whole situation is just so frustrating to watch. Especially when Ross and Demelza are worse off financially, but he comes up with an idea that might help them all.

I'm a little ambivalent about "Capten" Blamey now - the way he lashed out at Demelza and commented on his anger issue, not sure I want to see Verity married to him now. Don't tell me what happens though.

The miner's new wife (the actress) - now she's gonna be trouble!

Awww, little Julia, so sweet. Smile

Mikah
Lorien

Jul 22 2015, 3:35am

Post #5 of 117 (1103 views)
Shortcut
Alone! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am completely hooked on the survival shows and this one is no different. I am embarrassed to say that I binged watched it this week.Blush But on a happier note, I am all caught up and ready for Thursdays episode!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 22 2015, 1:01pm

Post #6 of 117 (1084 views)
Shortcut
Sense8 [In reply to] Can't Post

In the way that the first Matrix movie left me thinking, "Wow, what just happened?", this show on Netflix does the same thing. Eight random strangers all around the world are suddenly given a telepathic connection to each other and begin appearing in each other's lives/minds.

The concept is cool, but even better is the execution. Those Wachoswkis know where to point a camera! So you think you see someone and then another person is substituted for them seamlessly (especially in the action scenes), and it goes back and forth between them. The first couple of episodes don't make much sense, but being made for Netflix, it was meant to be binge-watched, and it makes sense over time.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 22 2015, 3:05pm

Post #7 of 117 (1066 views)
Shortcut
"These Final Hours" [In reply to] Can't Post

This was another Netflix find. Life on earth is ending--really!--due to a giant firestorm caused by a meteor impact (or comet or asteroid; they never really say). It hits the North Atlantic first, sending a wave of death around the world, so Australia will be the last alive by a few hours. What would you do if everyone was going to die today? Party? Go crazy? Get religious?

It's all focused on one man who wants to go to a friend's big party where they'll go out with a bang, but he gets sidetracked by a little girl in dire straits. The acting was heartfelt and the story was pretty good. It's set on a small scale, so you don't see thousands of people running for cover or huge crowds attacking shopping malls or whatever. It's all rather intimate and individual. I gave it 4 stars for being better than expected. (After all, hasn't this been done before? Well, not quite.)

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jul 22 2015, 5:16pm

Post #8 of 117 (1054 views)
Shortcut
Fort Graveyard [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a 1965 film starring Toshiro Mifune as a military officer who, as punishment for his rebellious nature, gets sent to Manchuria to retake Fort Graveyard and hold it until the Japanese forces come to claim it. He has as his soldiers a group of thirteen boys who are inexperienced recruits, all from a military band. They take their musical instruments along with them even into battle, and Mifune has to fashion them somehow into soldiers.

Theirs is a desperate situation, and although they do retake the fort, holding it proves a hopeless, costly one. The ending of ths anti-war film is almost Shakespearean in tone, and it's certainly not a "happily-ever-after" kind of film. Watching all the death and destruction while the music plays a rousing version of "When the Saints Go Marching In" leaves quite an impact.

I believe the title of this movie was, literally translated, "Sand and Blood". I think that would have been a much better title, and they should have left it at that.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 1:58am

Post #9 of 117 (1027 views)
Shortcut
Francis. Francis. FRAAAAAAANCIS! (Poldark spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

Ohhhh boy. Mad Ten times an ass. And so self-indulgently snarky about it too. Needed: one pair of Big Boy pants.
That pretty actress will INDEED be trouble, I can smell it. She'd a been better going back to the Big City. I smell another duel, or an interrupted assignation with disastrous consequences for someone.
I'm nervous about the preview, Ross wagering his Wheal Leisure's share. Shocked
Nice scene of Elizabeth releasing the lovely trapped butterfly. Too late, silly girl.
I like Blamey. I don't blame (hah! hahaha) him for being frustrated; and that bit if temper well, that's just him. He's a man accustomed to loneliness, and command, and hardships. I think that's all it is. I bet Verity would wrap him around her little finger. I like the preview: him standing up to Francis without going overboard.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 1:59am

Post #10 of 117 (1014 views)
Shortcut
That sounds dark, O.T. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Watching all the death and destruction while the music plays a rousing version of "When the Saints Go Marching In" leaves quite an impact.

I believe the title of this movie was, literally translated, "Sand and Blood". I think that would have been a much better title, and they should have left it at that.

I like that title idea too. Has more of a haiku feel than 'Fort Graveyard'.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 2:03am

Post #11 of 117 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Some grim stuff there [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"These Final Hours"This was another Netflix find. Life on earth is ending--really!--due to a giant firestorm caused by a meteor impact (or comet or asteroid; they never really say). It hits the North Atlantic first, sending a wave of death around the world, so Australia will be the last alive by a few hours. What would you do if everyone was going to die today? Party? Go crazy? Get religious?

Between this and you recent reading, I'm worried about your state of mind. LaughMaybe you need to watch some Pink Panther or something to balance it all out. That being said...not sure what I would do. Bit different than the apocalyptic stuff we usually watch. where the earth survives and you have to make due. Just having it be the end, and you know it...hmmm.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 2:05am

Post #12 of 117 (1009 views)
Shortcut
This sounds intriguing [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sense8 In the way that the first Matrix movie left me thinking, "Wow, what just happened?", this show on Netflix does the same thing. Eight random strangers all around the world are suddenly given a telepathic connection to each other and begin appearing in each other's lives/minds.

The concept is cool, but even better is the execution. Those Wachoswkis know where to point a camera! So you think you see someone and then another person is substituted for them seamlessly (especially in the action scenes), and it goes back and forth between them. The first couple of episodes don't make much sense, but being made for Netflix, it was meant to be binge-watched, and it makes sense over time.

Very skilled to make it visually complex but followable. Is it still currently being produced or is it wrapped up?

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 2:08am

Post #13 of 117 (1012 views)
Shortcut
I like survival shows too, Mikah [In reply to] Can't Post

and there is nothing wrong with binge-watching, or Bronzing the Potato Chip as we have been calling it around here. Wink I binge-caught-up with Walking Dead in S2, but of coursed half of it was with a pillow over my head. There are STILL parts people mention that I never saw.

Good that you are caught up! Feel free to update us after Thursday.

I've been binge-watching a show I like but often miss, River Monsters with Jeremy Wade. Great one this week, of travelling to the interior of S. America and finding a previously undiscovered variant of the arapaima.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jul 23 2015, 2:09am)

Kim
Valinor

Jul 23 2015, 4:29am

Post #14 of 117 (998 views)
Shortcut
Sharknado 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Got home 5 minutes after it started, so of course I've completely missed the plot set up. HA! Still have an hour and a half to go, but I'm pretty sure I can safely say this is the dumbest thing I've seen since...Sharknado 2. Still, some pretty good LOLZ. Cool

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 1:26pm

Post #15 of 117 (981 views)
Shortcut
First season is on Neftlix [In reply to] Can't Post

They released all 12 episodes at once in June. And it makes more sense that way. If I'd had to wait a week between each one, I would have lost all the threads connecting their scattered lives. The pilot didn't make complete sense until I watched them all and went back to watch it. I'm making it sound like work, but the payoff is great. It's fascinating how they linked their lives together.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 1:38pm

Post #16 of 117 (982 views)
Shortcut
Haha, yeah, I'm looking for light and fluffy now [In reply to] Can't Post

Wars, end of the world: I'm due for Dumb and Dumber. But the odd thing about "These Final Hours" was it was a very human story with decent character development. Disturbing, of course, because there are normal people who go nuts and do bad things, but there's redemption involved too--and I won't say more, or I'd give it away, but I liked the redemptive aspect. I was even hoping for a plot twist and have the world not end, but I'll give that away: it really does (I sat through Titanic hoping it wouldn't really sink, which shows how I can deny anything in a movie with sufficient reservoirs of hope.)

It was an original break from all the post-apocalyptic movies where people survive and you get zombies or Snowpiercing trains or plagues or Planet of the Apes or whatever. This was really the end of life on earth, though the planet would survive, and I suppose microbes would too, so advanced life would come back in a million years or so--be patient. Kinda like humans' dinosaur moment: no one would come back as a zombie, only a fossil. And it happened fast enough that there was no talk of traveling elsewhere, like in Interstellar.

Speaking of zombies, the countdown is on for the debut of The Walking Dead prequel!!!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2015, 2:51pm

Post #17 of 117 (978 views)
Shortcut
Francis [In reply to] Can't Post

is indeed an arse. I'm hoping they keep the same storyline for him. I liked it. 'Nuf said.

I still struggle with Elizabeth, even after watching the original series (where she was a ethereal blond to Demelza's firery red head) and reading the books. I know society was littered with young women like her - married off for money or a title, bearing children, running a house while the husband ran around. She seems to have some steel in her until you realize that it's brittle. She caves when she realizes her prestige or entitlements are threatened. For some reason though, I just can't muster any empathy for her. She lacks Verity's kindness and altruisim, I think. And I wish she would leave Ross alone. Again, I hope they keep the same storyline. I liked that one too. It is very fitting. 'Nuf said.

The actress? Yup. Trouble, with a capital T. She's the kind that spread misery in her wake and doesn't care. Don't have any empathy for her either. But oh, her addled-brained husband... why did he pick her? (OK, I know why, but I still ask... Why, you dumb oaf?!)

The more I watch, the more I like they way they are writing, and Aiden is performing, Ross. His character in this series is much more like I imagined in the book. I loved the first series Ross, but he wasn't quite like I read him. This series is much closer. I'm glad I'm able to experience both!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 4:36pm

Post #18 of 117 (933 views)
Shortcut
I admit, I kinda fell asleep during Titanic...and did you say Walking Dead!!!!? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Wars, end of the world: I'm due for Dumb and Dumber. But the odd thing about "These Final Hours" was it was a very human story with decent character development. Disturbing, of course, because there are normal people who go nuts and do bad things, but there's redemption involved too--and I won't say more, or I'd give it away, but I liked the redemptive aspect. I was even hoping for a plot twist and have the world not end, but I'll give that away: it really does (I sat through Titanic hoping it wouldn't really sink, which shows how I can deny anything in a movie with sufficient reservoirs of hope.)

Hope springs eternal? Laugh A man behind me did say at about hour 2.5 'Boat sinks. Are we good?' then left.

It was an original break from all the post-apocalyptic movies where people survive and you get zombies or Snowpiercing trains or plagues or Planet of the Apes or whatever. This was really the end of life on earth, though the planet would survive, and I suppose microbes would too, so advanced life would come back in a million years or so--be patient. Kinda like humans' dinosaur moment: no one would come back as a zombie, only a fossil. And it happened fast enough that there was no talk of traveling elsewhere, like in Interstellar.

Speaking of zombies, the countdown is on for the debut of The Walking Dead prequel!!!

Cool Yes!!!! I see a date - August 23!!!! And I think I saw Alexandria stuff going on in the brief glimpse I got of the preview. I hope this isn't a one-off, and they do a few weeks of retro stuff before each proper season. They already did a stunning job with the Webisodes on the site.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 4:41pm

Post #19 of 117 (943 views)
Shortcut
Great take on Elizabeth, DI [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
is indeed an arse. I'm hoping they keep the same storyline for him. I liked it. 'Nuf said.

I still struggle with Elizabeth, even after watching the original series (where she was a ethereal blond to Demelza's firery red head) and reading the books. I know society was littered with young women like her - married off for money or a title, bearing children, running a house while the husband ran around. She seems to have some steel in her until you realize that it's brittle. She caves when she realizes her prestige or entitlements are threatened. For some reason though, I just can't muster any empathy for her. She lacks Verity's kindness and altruisim, I think. And I wish she would leave Ross alone. Again, I hope they keep the same storyline. I liked that one too. It is very fitting. 'Nuf said.

The actress? Yup. Trouble, with a capital T. She's the kind that spread misery in her wake and doesn't care. Don't have any empathy for her either. But oh, her addled-brained husband... why did he pick her? (OK, I know why, but I still ask... Why, you dumb oaf?!)

The more I watch, the more I like they way they are writing, and Aiden is performing, Ross. His character in this series is much more like I imagined in the book. I loved the first series Ross, but he wasn't quite like I read him. This series is much closer. I'm glad I'm able to experience both!

That showed when she went to the mine closing, but couldn't meet eyes, couldn't really connect with the miners and their grief. Was still ... just not ... open. Closed off, a bit frozen. Demelza and Ross showed more grief and its not even their own mine. And yup, the Ross train has left the station: wave goodbye. Demelza is such a better match for him.

I like this character of Ross a lot. He's imperfect, but there is good stone in there, real strength. I like how he spends time with Julia, where we see almost no interaction between Francis and his little son. I like too that as handsome as Aiden is, that's not really relevant. Its just not a light or eye-candy role. I'm glad he got it.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 4:43pm

Post #20 of 117 (930 views)
Shortcut
You missed The Big Plot Setup?! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sharknado 3 Got home 5 minutes after it started, so of course I've completely missed the plot set up. HA! Still have an hour and a half to go, but I'm pretty sure I can safely say this is the dumbest thing I've seen since...Sharknado 2. Still, some pretty good LOLZ. Cool

I'm guessing the 5 minutes was enough for their complex plot setup AND commercials. Laugh Good to have a laugh.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jul 23 2015, 6:37pm

Post #21 of 117 (938 views)
Shortcut
So agree [In reply to] Can't Post

that Elizabeth needs to drop it as far as Ross goes. It almost seems like she's trying to spin what happened so that she doesn't have to own responsibility for her choice. I think Francis is having his affair out of frustration with the knowledge that she doesn't really love him. Normally I would take the fact that divorce was usually something that just didn't happen back then into consideration in light of the time period - but he was aware of the situation before the point of no return and bears equal responsibility for not postponing the wedding until Elizabeth truly had time to consider if she would be able to live with her choice.
Unfortunately, the rub is that Ross is a close cousin of Francis and Verity. The fact that they can't make a clean break because they have to see eachother semi-regularly is a complicating factor.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 7:26pm

Post #22 of 117 (921 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that is SO true [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It almost seems like she's trying to spin what happened so that she doesn't have to own responsibility for her choice.

It is like she sort of spins it as 'oh, we are beyond wishes..' which would apply more of she was married BEFORE Ross came home and had no choice at all. But she DID have a choice: granted she made the wrong one (for her, maybe the right one for Ross) but I have a nagging feeling that as much of an arse as Francis is being, she could make it work better if she just got past the shouldawouldacoulda. He does (pathetically) worship her in his doofy and somewhat childish way. I wish she could make use of that and build on it, for all their sakes.

I loved (and commented on it last week) that when Demelza sings, Elizabeth is back in the shadows, behind her with a sort of look of astonishment on her face. Demelza eclipses her there like the sun and moon from Ross' perspective, and I wonder if Elizabeth felt it happen too? I think her regard for Demelza is sincere, but her response to being left behind is to still reach out to Ross, and not accept it.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 23 2015, 7:28pm

Post #23 of 117 (910 views)
Shortcut
really enjoying "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" [In reply to] Can't Post

so much so that I rewatched every episode so far.

Marc Warren as The Gentleman is amazing! He was equally chilling - but in a very different way - as Teatime ("that's Teh-ah-TEE-meh") in "Hogfather," and wonderfully goofy in an episode of "Doctor Who." I must keep an eye out for anything else he's in. Also want more from Bertie Carvel (Strange) and the guy who plays Childermass.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 7:46pm

Post #24 of 117 (905 views)
Shortcut
I thought I knew Bertie Carvel! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen him in Midsomer Murders! ('The Great and the Good' episode.) I shan't spoil: but very fun.

Great that you're enjoying Strange and Norrell so much, enough to do a binge-catchup, which is also a cool way to pick up nuances when you have the knowledge of the outcomes.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2015, 8:10pm

Post #25 of 117 (907 views)
Shortcut
Elizabeth wants both [In reply to] Can't Post

She wants Ross because... well, compared to Francis, who wouldn't? Even Francis' own father could see he was a wuss. But she also wants the money. Ross doesn't have that. And didn't have that when he got home. He also came home from the colonies with a changed view of class and entitlement, something Elizabeth would never be able to understand. It's why he can show that he cares for his employees and she can barely stand to be around them.

Ross may have been raised in Elizabeth's world, but I think his stint in the army and his exposure to the colonial cause changed his worldview. It's actually developed a bit further in the book. It's a part of Ross that has always fascinated me. We think of veterans coming home in terms of modern warfare, but what was it actually like for those who fought in earlier wars? His new outlook matches the common-born Demelza who has lived through hardship like he saw and experienced in the war. They "get" each other. I think it's a beautiful love story.

But I must warn you, Winston Graham is not kind to Ross and Demelza, ever. Get ready for an emotional ride.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.