Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Its the-100%-humidity ... What have YOU been Watching thread!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 10:39pm

Post #101 of 117 (3209 views)
Shortcut
Continuing the FTD discussion... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think its bold of them to retro the storyline in a different locale. Personally I think the universe they've created, paired with the writing quality, can pull it off. I detect some skepticism on part of the article's author. They should watch the Webisodes and see the potential.

They write about a 'slow buildup'. I think that's wonderful news. Develop the characters, the world...and we all don't have info on disasters as they unfold so that element will make it feel real I think. Like Shane and Laurie fleeing Atlanta: left you wanting more of what was going on in other places since they saw that from a distance. As for gore, to people new to the disease process, a little gore will go a long way. Not like the seasoned vets of two years later.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2015, 10:53pm

Post #102 of 117 (3212 views)
Shortcut
Good points...thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Especially since Ross was initially so reluctant to visit the gaming room when first approached by George. At some point after that I think he made the decision to take Sanson down. I wonder, too, if it's possible he deliberately indulged in expressing his contempt for Halse to drive him away from the table, thereby making it a purely one on one contest between himself and the shark.

That's a strong piece of chronology. So it shows he was thinking on the fly then, at the table...and let the situation evolve. Interesting insight there. In which case DI may be in the right with the idea of him planning a bit ahead, more so than it seems even in retrospect. And in spite of his BAC.

Also, small aside, Cary Warleggan is actually George's uncle, not his father. Don't know that that differentiation really amounts to anything significant other than a scene from ep 2, I think, (which may have been cut out) where George sidles up to Ross and attempts to ingratiate himself by suggesting they have a natural affinity because they're both fatherless. Not that that worked at all on Ross. Cool

Thank you! I did not realize that. I probably saw that line if it was not cut and just forgot it. And I confess, I don't pay much attention to George.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2015, 4:59am

Post #103 of 117 (3189 views)
Shortcut
Imagine [In reply to] Can't Post

I realize I may be off topic here, this looking like a Poldark thread! LOL! Not that that's a bad thing at all. I must confess I lost interest after the third episode. But I'm glad it has an enthusiastic following if only for Aiden.

The movie I mention in the subject line, Imagine, is a Polish film made in 2012. I found it incredibly engaging and thought-provoking. It's a story about a blind man named Ian who becomes the teacher at a small school/residential center for the blind. Most of the residents are young, just a few young adults also. The way he goes about teaching them is quite extraordinary (since I've never known about this sort of thing before).

He teaches them to navigate through their lives using sound instead of a cane. (None of them are deaf.) He teaches them to be acutely aware of the type of sound they are hearing, what it is or might be, how to interpret what they hear and translate that into an object, be it inanimate or animate. He both clucks and snaps his fingers to hear how the sounds resonate and bounce off the objects, and how to determine distance from objects. It's really quite fascinating.

The meat of the story involves a young lady who timidly comes out of her room at last to take part in learning, and Ian's growing relationship with her. The ending is left open, and we only can speculate on how things turn out between them. All in all, an intriguing film that enlightens and makes you think. Those two things in themselves make this film worth watching, IMO. It's in Polish and English with German subtitles (but easy enough to understand, the main characters speaking English at least).

You'll never find this movie except in indie theaters, I'm sure.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 31 2015, 8:27pm

Post #104 of 117 (3166 views)
Shortcut
Fear the Sleeping Dead--the next spinoff [In reply to] Can't Post

Or Fear the Really Dead Dead. The possibilities are endless.

I detected the same note of skepticism you did in the article, BUT the really weird/good thing is that A&E already ordered the 2nd season without the 1st season even showing yet. That shows a lot of confidence in the series. It's not like they're dangling a single pilot out there and are ready to pull the whole thing if the pilot tanks.

I personally am more interested in the story of 1) what do you do when society falls apart, and 2) how do you rebuild it than just a bunch of zombie gore, but I know many people like zombie gore, so they'll have to placate those fans too. After 4-5 seasons of The Walking Dead, dispatching a zombie has gotten pretty routine, even though they keep using new stunts and props to carry it out. It was more exciting the first few seasons when they seemed more of a threat washing across the world, wiping out civilization. Now they're just part of the landscape, like parking meters and fire hydrants.

TWD had limited actual family going on and forged a family out of strangers, whereas FTD will show an extended family trying to overcome the usual dysfunction and stay alive and keep together. That's a profound difference. Could be like a soap opera, or could be good. And yeah, they're not physical fighters ready to kick some heineken, so they'll have a steeper learning curve. They probably can't even shoot guns straight.

The tricky part is they say they're trying to show the early part of the plague. Well, TWD only skipped the first few weeks of the plague, so is FTD going to spend 5 seasons on the first few weeks? Or does it catch up with TWD? We shall see.

Oh, wait, this is the Poldark Appreciation thread, sorry. Did I mention I luv Poldark? Never seen it, but I don't want my post to be deleted for being out of place. Evil

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 31 2015, 9:05pm

Post #105 of 117 (3156 views)
Shortcut
What a cool sounding story, Old Toby [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I realize I may be off topic here, this looking like a Poldark thread! LOL!

Sheesh! I know, we do go on! LaughBlush

'Imagine': He teaches them to navigate through their lives using sound instead of a cane. (None of them are deaf.) He teaches them to be acutely aware of the type of sound they are hearing, what it is or might be, how to interpret what they hear and translate that into an object, be it inanimate or animate. He both clucks and snaps his fingers to hear how the sounds resonate and bounce off the objects, and how to determine distance from objects. It's really quite fascinating.

The meat of the story involves a young lady who timidly comes out of her room at last to take part in learning, and Ian's growing relationship with her. The ending is left open, and we only can speculate on how things turn out between them. All in all, an intriguing film that enlightens and makes you think. Those two things in themselves make this film worth watching, IMO. It's in Polish and English with German subtitles (but easy enough to understand, the main characters speaking English at least).

You'll never find this movie except in indie theaters, I'm sure.

This sounds fascinating in real life as well as a film - technically almost like using echolocation. What's neat it seems is how that translates to the relationship you mention. Intriguing that they left it open, like you have to 'find your way' to the answer, like they do?

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 31 2015, 9:12pm

Post #106 of 117 (3157 views)
Shortcut
Could L.A. be the start of the TWD virus-illness-bacterium, whatever it is? *NO POLDARK DISCUSSION*, except for some sassy comments. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Or Fear the Really Dead Dead. The possibilities are endless. LaughLaughLaugh

The tricky part is they say they're trying to show the early part of the plague. Well, TWD only skipped the first few weeks of the plague, so is FTD going to spend 5 seasons on the first few weeks? Or does it catch up with TWD? We shall see.

And I also wonder if LA is the epicenter, if they are backtracking to there in the first run of this series. We lose that few weeks due to following Rick's story, but they seem to be backtracking to complete-normal. I dunno over the weeks it runs how far they can progress time-wise since they are going backwards so far? And if they were to do it each summer, would it follow the same people or backtrack to another area in that same time period? As you say, almost endless. Though Robert Kirkman still says we will never know the vector of the illness/sickness/zombie-ness, or how it actually happened or for that matter exactly what it is. Rrrrgh. I guess its a bit more disturbing without an answer.

Oh, wait, this is the Poldark Appreciation thread, sorry. Did I mention I luv Poldark? Never seen it, but I don't want my post to be deleted for being out of place. Evil Convenient that I just got out of the pool and have a wet towel at hand....*swack*

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 31 2015, 9:22pm

Post #107 of 117 (3149 views)
Shortcut
Don't know if you saw this CG - preview pics of this season's TWD extras [In reply to] Can't Post

Zombies, NOT for the fainthearted. But darned amazing makeup.

Kim
Valinor

Aug 1 2015, 6:28am

Post #108 of 117 (3135 views)
Shortcut
Fear the Mostly Dead? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd watch that one. After all, mostly dead is slightly alive.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 1 2015, 4:06pm

Post #109 of 117 (3106 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm. That's one of those "don't think about the science too much" reveals. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the link!

I was just starting to think that as the zombies waste away to almost literally the skeleton level, it doesn't make sense for them to be hungry if they can't digest something and circulate it in their body, does it? Nor does it really make sense if the justification for that hunger is vestigial activity in the primitive part of the brain, because the brain is bad at storing food and needs a constant resupply or it dies, so again, with basically just skin and bones, no food, and a dead brain--it doesn't pay to think about the science. They're monsters, they attack you, end of story. They are getting more gruesome each year!

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 1 2015, 5:49pm

Post #110 of 117 (3100 views)
Shortcut
Well my pet theory [In reply to] Can't Post

Is bacterial or viral colonization in the brain and digestive tract. They ferment flesh directly at point of contact and thus have no need for central circulation.

Or am I overthinking it? Laugh

Kim
Valinor

Aug 1 2015, 6:13pm

Post #111 of 117 (3099 views)
Shortcut
Henry IV Part 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Went to a Shakespeare in the Park performance last night of Henry IV Part 1. It was put on by a local non-profit group, and it was a combination of traditional dialogue and costume mixed with modern music. Prince Hal and Henry Percy were both in jeans and black leather, and the music included things like London Calling and Falstaff accompanied by I Wanna Be Sedated. At one point, Lady Mortimer sang a song in Welsh (and I realized that was the first time I'd ever heard the Welsh language spoken or sung), and at first it was traditional, but then she changed the tune to Katy Perry's Firework. That was really fun and she got the biggest applause of the night.

I thought it was going to be a pretty serious play based on the description (never read it before), but it was pretty lively. And kinda cool to think that young Prince Hal would become Henry V.

Kim
Valinor

Aug 2 2015, 7:33pm

Post #112 of 117 (3077 views)
Shortcut
Hannibal [In reply to] Can't Post

So the reviews came flooding in this week after Richard Armitage's first episode last week - pretty much universal praise for his amazing performance (yes, even the critics on Pluto loved it! Wink) Here's a compilation of a bunch of the reviews and interviews: http://richardarmitagecentral.co.uk/...up-july-26-august-1/)

Unfortunately, last night's ep didn't have as much of Francis Dolarhyde (for some reason they chose to focus on Hannibal pffft). But we heard him speak for the first time - really well done capturing the speech impediment when he met Reba for the first time, and throughout their interaction. And it was great to see how his body language and posture changed when he realized she couldn't see him and therefore his disfigurement - he immediately got more confident and was able to act on his interest in her instead of just hiding away. We also saw more of his "becoming" the dragon - wow. Really interesting to contrast the two storylines, and very much looking forward to seeing more of Francis and Reba as their relationship develops.

Once again, poor Will. He's getting sucked back into the dark as we saw more of him replaying the crimes and putting himself in the Tooth Fairy's place.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 3 2015, 2:14am

Post #113 of 117 (3060 views)
Shortcut
"The Guest" with Dan Stevens from Downton Abbey [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm once again sorry to disrupt TOPN (The One Poldark Net) with something un-Poldarky, but wanted to squeeze this in. Angelic

As a Downton Abbey fan, I never understood why Dan Stevens walked away from the show, given the intense popularity of his Matthew character and the show (like Poldark, even). He claimed at the time that he was going to leave acting behind and edit a literary journal and do other brainy & introverted things, but lo and behold, he winds up in a movie, "The Guest." I held off from watching it because it had lots of bad reviews, and having seen it, I'm not sure why. It's no masterpiece, but it's a thriller, and it doesn't claim to be the high point of cinema. It was just fine, and it was interesting seeing Stevens play a rough, dark character instead of mild-mannered, squeaky-clean Matthew Crawley. Maybe not the most convincing shift ever, but good enough if you've got Netflix and can watch this for free. While I didn't think the ending was as good as the first 2/3 or so, I liked the movie overall.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Aug 3 2015, 4:16am

Post #114 of 117 (3052 views)
Shortcut
Hannibal and Poldark and tears, oh my [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I've just cried for nearly a solid hour over "Poldark" - both during & after the show.Unsure Talk about "no good deed goes unpunished" and *Spoiler!* I KNEW what would happen to Julia, but I still cried my eyes out!Pirate I called my daughter because she wasn't there and I couldn't get a hug, oh, the FEELS! So I made myself a drink and will now talk about last night's "Hannibal" episode.

Well, I have read the book & seen both movies, so I'm pretty familiar with the story. This will be a different take, IMO, because in none of those did I ever feel the least bit of sympathy for Francis Dolarhyde. Yeah, there were abandonment issues and SOME kind of delusional mental illness, but he was cruel and cunning. I have another post on that subject, so I won't repeat it here. Let's just say Richard is doing a different take on this. It's odd because in an interview he said if they'd wanted to film him actually doing the killings he'd have probably said no. And I noticed that they are also not mentioning a very obvious part of the crime, which I wonder if that is not also Richard's input. I was also anxious to hear him talk as well, and I must say - *SPOILERS*

that his speech was intriguing. He was so hesitant to talk, because of that lisp, and it fit the character well. And I also really liked his co-star Rutina Westley(?), who played a confident & happy blind girl - what a combo! One big question I've had since I first heard of this is, how are they going to change how Francis chooses his victims? In the book he developed home movie film, and chose them from the reels, but people don't really do that anymore. The show is still mentioning the film, and I know it will have something to do with his job, but I don't know what that job is yet.

And so far it's following the book pretty closely. In last week's episode Will walked through the crime scene and came up with the idea of checking the eyes for fingerprints. Pretty sure the two techs are from the book as well. And this week we get Freddie Lounds, a female in the show but still an intrusive National Enquirer type reporter. Because of her story, Dolarhyde found a way to contact Hannibal - and then Richard's speech changes when he talks about becoming "The Great Red Dragon" - LOL, couldn't help but think of Thorin saying "I will not part with a sssssingle coin." That was the only time though, the rest of the time Richard sounded like, well, a guy with a lisp that had some insecurity issues (along with some homicidal ones).

Well, that helped me calm down from "Poldark." That's great news about more episodes next season, maybe I won't feel like they're flying through everything. Good job, Aidan!

I mean, REALLY good job!!!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 6 2015, 1:07am

Post #115 of 117 (2957 views)
Shortcut
Amazing what can be done with those plays [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Henry IV Part 1 Went to a Shakespeare in the Park performance last night of Henry IV Part 1. It was put on by a local non-profit group, and it was a combination of traditional dialogue and costume mixed with modern music. Prince Hal and Henry Percy were both in jeans and black leather, and the music included things like London Calling and Falstaff accompanied by I Wanna Be Sedated. At one point, Lady Mortimer sang a song in Welsh (and I realized that was the first time I'd ever heard the Welsh language spoken or sung), and at first it was traditional, but then she changed the tune to Katy Perry's Firework. That was really fun and she got the biggest applause of the night.

I thought it was going to be a pretty serious play based on the description (never read it before), but it was pretty lively. And kinda cool to think that young Prince Hal would become Henry V.

in terms of adaptations. Black leather sounds quite apropos for the Prince and Henry Percy, in truth! Sounds like fun! Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 6 2015, 1:08am

Post #116 of 117 (2956 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for the links on Richard's Hannibal work, Kim! I'm going to read them now. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So the reviews came flooding in this week after Richard Armitage's first episode last week - pretty much universal praise for his amazing performance (yes, even the critics on Pluto loved it! Wink) Here's a compilation of a bunch of the reviews and interviews: http://richardarmitagecentral.co.uk/...up-july-26-august-1/)

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 6 2015, 1:09am

Post #117 of 117 (2953 views)
Shortcut
Dan Stevens...needed to pay some bills, maybe? // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm once again sorry to disrupt TOPN (The One Poldark Net) with something un-Poldarky, but wanted to squeeze this in. Angelic

As a Downton Abbey fan, I never understood why Dan Stevens walked away from the show, given the intense popularity of his Matthew character and the show (like Poldark, even). He claimed at the time that he was going to leave acting behind and edit a literary journal and do other brainy & introverted things, but lo and behold, he winds up in a movie, "The Guest." I held off from watching it because it had lots of bad reviews, and having seen it, I'm not sure why. It's no masterpiece, but it's a thriller, and it doesn't claim to be the high point of cinema. It was just fine, and it was interesting seeing Stevens play a rough, dark character instead of mild-mannered, squeaky-clean Matthew Crawley. Maybe not the most convincing shift ever, but good enough if you've got Netflix and can watch this for free. While I didn't think the ending was as good as the first 2/3 or so, I liked the movie overall.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.