The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Best way to dust Statues??

boldog
Rohan

Jul 21 2015, 8:38am

Post #1 of 10 (1072 views)
Shortcut
Best way to dust Statues?? Can't Post

My collection of Weta statues is getting quite large. With a large collection they tend to gather a lot of dust.
Now I was wondering what people would suggest is the most efficient and best way of dusting without damaging the pieces.

I have always been familiar with the damp cloth method, but lately a lot of the statues I have are very fragile, and rubbing a cloth all over it is just gonna cause trouble sooner or later. Yesterday I broke off the protruding end of Azogs prosthetic arm while wiping with cloth. Mad

Also Im not sure if wetting the statues is going to do the paint any good.

What are your ideas and suggestions??

Also another quick question......
Should I bother keeping the boxes that the statues came in? Ive kept all mine, but now im running out of room to store them, and question whether its worth even keeping them.Crazy

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 21 2015, 10:47am

Post #2 of 10 (1049 views)
Shortcut
A soft artist's paintbrush.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... used dry, is the best way to dust fragile things with a lot of fine detail. You can see what you're doing with it and it won't catch on things.

I doubt very much if water will harm the paint but if the problem is just dust you shouldn't need it.

If you're bothered about the value of your collection always keep the boxes.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 21 2015, 1:12pm

Post #3 of 10 (1039 views)
Shortcut
Agreed w/ dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

I use a FINE paintbrush in conjuction w/ a small handheld vacuum.

But if they get too bad it's off to the sink for a warm soapy washy washy. (Gently now!)

SAVE the boxes. They can be as valuable as the object itself! (If you're thinking of value, that is.)

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 21 2015, 7:47pm

Post #4 of 10 (1025 views)
Shortcut
A tip for displaying them [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that a fine paintbrush will work nicely on getting rid of the dust.

A suggested way to display them without collecting dust, is to turn a clear glass or plastic aquarium upside down and display the figures inside.

If I recall correctly, someone from this board once shared photos of their collection and had them displayed that way.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jul 21 2015, 8:12pm

Post #5 of 10 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Would a hair dryer [In reply to] Can't Post

used on 'cold' setting of course (!) help to dislodge dust? I think you can buy little 'puffer' gadgets, possibly in doll's house and miniature suppliers' catalogues.

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Jul 22 2015, 5:41am

Post #6 of 10 (997 views)
Shortcut
I believe that was Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Her post enabled me to safely display my Weta Legolas and Gimli on Arod statue.
Thanks again, Gramma!

And yes. I saved the box.Wink

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 23 2015, 9:54am

Post #7 of 10 (947 views)
Shortcut
How Cool!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad it works for you :D Last count, I had 15 aquariums ranging from 5 gal to 50!!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 23 2015, 10:30am

Post #8 of 10 (947 views)
Shortcut
I should add... [In reply to] Can't Post

I get my aquariums from yard sales and thrift stores. The 50 gal tank I got a few weeks ago for $5. They don't have to hold water, just a lot of air :) Even if they're cracked, I just put an environ pic on the funky side(s). The tank I'm using for my Aragorn/King of the Dead battling is shattered in a star burst right behind where they're 2 swords meet. It looks like an impact from their fight!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2015, 6:34pm

Post #9 of 10 (921 views)
Shortcut
this is brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

There are also various kinds of compressed air gadgets for photographers and such that would work. Or puffers.

Then there's this problem...

Lady came into AC Moore looking for custom framing for her picture... needed a smooth, unadorned sort of frame...

...because she lived with a Mastiff. And dog slobber should be easily wipeable from the framing surface...

keep calm and open paddock 9

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Member of Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 9:24pm

Post #10 of 10 (872 views)
Shortcut
Very cool..... [In reply to] Can't Post

If my idea - I was able to find some stiff clear plastic sheets at HD and was going to block off a bookcase or something with themUnsure - in my case because it it isn't just dust floating around, it's pet hair and soot from the candles I love so much - I am gonna try the aquarium idea. Seeing as the aquariums are more sturdy anyway.

And an aquarium seems like less work than trying to trim out plasticShockedShockedShocked

Re the OP - perhaps, if not a paint brush for dusting, I have seen some very soft brushes for cleaning computer stuff - or maybe tear up some microfiber dust clothes, attach to a stick, and make a miniature dust mop, of sorts?
Agree boxes are a pain, but perhaps collapse? for safe storage and move packing styrofoam into a large garbage bag for storage elsewhere?

(This post was edited by Avandel on Jul 29 2015, 9:32pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.