The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
How Does Your Garden Grow?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: How Does you Garden Grow?
Sideways
Only in my head
Flowers only (small-medium scale)
Flowers only (large scale) neighbors think they live next to a garden center
Flowers and veggies (small-medium scale)
Flowers and veggies (large scale)
Flowers and Veggies and Trees (oh my!)
Indoors
Community Garden
Patio/top of building
Straight down
Other
View Results (40 votes)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 20 2015, 5:31pm

Post #1 of 94 (3895 views)
Shortcut
How Does Your Garden Grow? Can't Post

I know some of you are immersed in winter right now. But do you grow anything inside? Container garden/herbs?

(I could use some tips! I can never grow anything indoors.UnsureEvil)

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Jul 20 2015, 5:34pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 20 2015, 5:56pm

Post #2 of 94 (3758 views)
Shortcut
Herbs [In reply to] Can't Post

It's more my wife's garden really.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2015, 5:58pm

Post #3 of 94 (3760 views)
Shortcut
so there I was [In reply to] Can't Post

...contemplating the many choices.

small, medium, large, veggies, flowers...

SlySlySlySlySlySly

sideways.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAASSS!!!!

and everyone else too...

SlySlySlySlySlySly

My parents grew up on farms, grew their own stuff. I have co-workers who grow actual vegetables. Edible, actual salad-in-summer veggies.

I convinced tomatoes to sort of grow in a pot. Then this year decided to pt them in the actual ground so I didn't have to water them so much. I also (lacking a tiller) decided last year to create a no-till garden of a small circular size.

Pirate

Bunny fence, fine. Stuff growing: sort of.

Also thistles and mystery greens and is that mile a minute weed or morning glories?

and grass.

Somewhere in there are actual vegetables. ANd the marigolds who were planted to ward off the bugs that ate the native ( I repeat NATIVE therefore more resistant to bad stuff ) hibiscus.

I have some wimpy little tomatoes.

Something really big that must be sunflowers, which the birds will eat before I can get to them.

And squash.

I recommend squash as a ridiculously easy thing to grow, so easy even I can do it. They produce pretty flowers, nice exuberant green leaves, and love to climb out the fence.

They also cross pollinate, so they five kinds of winter squash and summer squash and heritage pumpkins you bought will combine into a Mystery Vegetable which you will not be able to google.

But, you can still, as Sam said, boil it , roast it, stick it in a stew...

CathrineB
Rohan

Jul 20 2015, 6:17pm

Post #4 of 94 (3746 views)
Shortcut
haha [In reply to] Can't Post

Only in my head and all over the place. It's practically Fangorn Forest at this point.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2015, 6:45pm

Post #5 of 94 (3739 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm. Fabric and plastic [In reply to] Can't Post

in other words fake plants I've never had any luck growing things inside or out

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 20 2015, 7:12pm

Post #6 of 94 (3737 views)
Shortcut
I love them , but [In reply to] Can't Post

I mostly can't grow them (fungus attacks), although I manage many other vegetables just fine.

Which herbs do you have growing?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 20 2015, 7:27pm

Post #7 of 94 (3740 views)
Shortcut
Flowers and vegies and trees. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a row of azaleas out front and vegetables on the other side of the small lawn*, and a small orchard of fruit trees within a ring of large specimen trees. There's a huge cherry tree that attracts kereru and a pine that I've kept because its branches make it great for climbing.

* This season will be scant for vegies as I'm not mobile enough to garden. I am doing a good crop of chickweed, though. Unsure

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 20 2015, 7:38pm

Post #8 of 94 (3727 views)
Shortcut
Rhubarb season is over. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a fan of gardening, but I sure love rhubarb. It didn't get very big this year, but it sure did taste good.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 20 2015, 7:42pm

Post #9 of 94 (3730 views)
Shortcut
Now, that's a happy-looking bird! [In reply to] Can't Post

So sorry about mobility issues. Hope that changes for you soon. I have challenges on and off myself, which makes weeding very difficult, so I sympathize Just yesterday I noticed some crab grass sticking up at least a foot above the bush beans!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 20 2015, 8:21pm

Post #10 of 94 (3719 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Love your description! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like how I started out. I've never used a tiller (or on a boat either--sorry to Meneldor!ShockedWink), just a shovel and a hoe, but we have very sandy soil that's easy to break up. I've expanded to an area about 10X4 feet by the garage, gradually digging more lawn up each year, and 2 years ago, hired a kid to dig out a slightly smaller area by the back fence.

I can't grow squash or pumpkins because giant Japanese beetles burrow into the stems. And they seem to always get powdery mildew and pass it on to the tomatoes. I started with tomatoes to, after my son brought home a plant from school, and it turned out that was the way to get him to eat vegetables—have him grow them!

After we moved from that duplex, and got a house, I started with tomatoes and green beans (bush beans) and lettuce and carrots, but lettuce and carrots just won't grow too well here. Bitter, pale pink carrots, perhaps like the orcs grew in the Mordor gardens.Crazy I tried spinach, and it wouldn't grow either, but it will grow chard and bok choy if I buy them the seedlings. Same with the tomatoes. I started growing potatoes about three years ago, and so far, so good, and several years ago I got raspberry and blackberry bushes which generally do really well, although the blackberries can be really sour. But this summer— even with the rain— They're nice and sweet!

With all this, we're talking about and almost 25 years from beginning to end—I mean from beginning till now (hope it's not the end!). Good luck with it all, and may a Japanese beetles and squirrels (who bit holes in my pumpkins!) stay far, far away!

I'd love to sample your, ah, mixed vegetables! I bet you'll have several different kinds.

Let us know how they turn out!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 20 2015, 8:42pm

Post #11 of 94 (3713 views)
Shortcut
And sorry for my poor editing [In reply to] Can't Post

My computer kept freezing, and I couldn't get back to this in time to correct things--hope it's not too confusing with the mistakes!BlushCrazyEvil

Gianna
Rohan

Jul 20 2015, 10:45pm

Post #12 of 94 (3701 views)
Shortcut
Just veggies [In reply to] Can't Post

The main garden, anyway - we've a number of flower gardens along the edges of the yard but they rarely get tended.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2015, 12:15am

Post #13 of 94 (3692 views)
Shortcut
fight the evil forces of mildew and stuff... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.growingagreenerworld.com/controlling-or-eliminating-powdery-mildew/

A friend says whey from milk (so, now you have to find a source of raw milk, cook it, cheese it by adding vinegar, and use the whey) kills powdery mildew.

That article says disease resistant varieties, adequate air circulation, lots of light... and baking soda with oil and liquid soap (as with weed kiillers made of vinegar, the soap helps the stuff not slide off the leaves). Also vinegar, white vinegar is great for everything.

Diatomaceous earth is good for controlling bugs, it's harmless to larger lifeforms (in fact, you can eat it). I think it would also kill pollinators though.

The squash have decided to climb the sunflowers....

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2015, 12:16am

Post #14 of 94 (3694 views)
Shortcut
I hate tending [In reply to] Can't Post

...so I throw stuff in the ground, preferably natives or other easy stuff, and say "grow already!"

Gianna
Rohan

Jul 21 2015, 1:25am

Post #15 of 94 (3686 views)
Shortcut
Yup, same here... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate tending too. Weeding can be satisfying as long as you can see the difference. But bean-picking time is coming up this week and nothing will ever make bean-picking satisfying......

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 21 2015, 1:46am

Post #16 of 94 (3692 views)
Shortcut
As you know - flowers and veggies and trees! yeah, 'oh my' covers it. [In reply to] Can't Post

What do I have going on? You brought it up, just remember that.
Fruit:
- Apples: N. spy (full size tree) columnar apples (2 vars., 5 trees)

- Asian pear (20th Century/Nijisseiki)
- Carmine Jewel sour cherry
- mulberry
- peach (Elberta, Blazingstar, one heirloom yellow cling)
- blueberry: Patriot, Northblue, Northland, Northcountry, likely Bountiful Blue (mislabel), unnamed vacc.

- raspberry: Jewel black, Kiwi Gold, Double Gold, Caroline, Crimson Night
- blackberry: Arapaho, Navaho
- cranberry: Stevens
- fig: Brown Turkey, purple
Veggies:
- tomatoes (Husky Cherry, Black Prince, Golden Jubilee)
- Ichiban eggplant
- peppers (Italian roaster, yellow Cayenne, Poblano, Cajun Bell, yellow bell, Cherry Bomb, mild Jalapeno and one more I can't recall!)
- Swiss chard
- kale
- zucchini
- pumpkin
- carrots in fall
- potatoes (start in spring)

Herbs:
rosemary, lemon balm, lemon thyme, garlic, garlic chives, onion chives, (growing chives are nice bug repellents too) Greek oregano, Italian oregano. I have Egyptian walking onion bulbs arriving this week.

Lots of flowers, I plant a lot for bees and birds. Birds love sunflowers (Super Snack and Maximilian) and liatris and coneflower seeds. Bees love all the flowers but especially the 6-ft tall Black Adder hyssop. I also grow a Japanese fiber banana for its gorgeous foliage.

Next year on order: Luisa plum, Sansa apple, another columnar variety (a red one) two black currants. Possibly a Methley and a Castleton plum if I resolve to container-grow them.

You did ask. Wink

(This post was edited by Brethil on Jul 21 2015, 1:54am)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2015, 3:27am

Post #17 of 94 (3668 views)
Shortcut
Oh [In reply to] Can't Post

I love rhubarb. Heart

Stewed on vanilla ice cream

Or pie

Or cobbler

Or crumble (yes, they're different)

None of that silly strawberry-rhubarb. Why would anyone want to cover up that delicious taste! Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 21 2015, 4:29am

Post #18 of 94 (3658 views)
Shortcut
Oops. Grapes. Forgot them. [In reply to] Can't Post

Pink Reliance, Tickled Pink, and un-ID'd one.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2015, 5:42am

Post #19 of 94 (3645 views)
Shortcut
I have to plant rhubarb next year... [In reply to] Can't Post

I got some from my aunt and learned how to cook it....YUM!

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 21 2015, 6:32am

Post #20 of 94 (3640 views)
Shortcut
If that kereru gets drunk and falls out of the tree, [In reply to] Can't Post

don't you dare eat it. Wink

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 21 2015, 2:27pm

Post #21 of 94 (3622 views)
Shortcut
Yes. Those are all delicious! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I love rhubarb. Heart

Stewed on vanilla ice cream

Or pie

Or cobbler

Or crumble (yes, they're different)

None of that silly strawberry-rhubarb. Why would anyone want to cover up that delicious taste! Smile

But have you ever had rhubarb punch? Nectar of the gods, IMO.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2015, 7:30pm

Post #22 of 94 (3600 views)
Shortcut
Spoilsport. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 22 2015, 1:24am

Post #23 of 94 (3583 views)
Shortcut
Cranberries? [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you have a bog? Angelic No, really, I never thought of just growing them on the bush! Do you have to keep the area really damp?

Figs! I didn't know they'd grow in our area!

And I never knew there were so many kinds of blueberries, I thought there were just high-bush (large and a bit tart) and low-bush (small and sweet).

The columnar apples are fascinating. Do you need at least two for pollination?

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 22 2015, 1:41am

Post #24 of 94 (3583 views)
Shortcut
Cranberries need situations and soil similar to blueberries [In reply to] Can't Post

The bog is mostly for ease of harvesting, as they use tidal flood water to float the crop. But they don't need quite it that wet; moist and ericoid (acidic, peaty, pine-barky) soil is the key, along with heavy pine mulch and annual sulfur applications.

Figs need cover but they do well here! I'm a bit zone-upped, being LI - the surrounding water makes us really 7a, versus 6a or 6b. But even by you, if winter protected, quite a few of the hardier figs would do OK: Hardy Chicago is a tough one. Some people keep them potted and store them in a basement or garage for the winter. Figlets below! (PM me if you ever want to start with figs D., I can give you some pointers.)

SOOO many blueberries! There are also rabbiteyes which are Southern-climate types. My favorite for taste is lowbush Northcountry. Mmmmm. Patriot gives me the biggest crop though. Sweetcrisp is supposed to be great. But I'm afraid of I get another blueberry hubby will commit me, or something. Laugh

The columnar apples do need pollination; they aren't field tested for matches yet among all other apples but the columnars are all pollination compatible, and my guess is pretty compatible with overlapping bloom diploid apples in general (versus triploid. Can be complicated.) I'm hoping with so much apple in general floating around that I get good coverage on everybody. Thinking of adding two disease-resistant early apples next spring, Sansa and Pristine. More pollen! And summer apples for salads.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 22 2015, 2:18am

Post #25 of 94 (3572 views)
Shortcut
Mostly flowers, some trees, some herbs [In reply to] Can't Post

We are overrun with deer & I don't have a fenced area to garden in so I can only plant things deer won't eat. My landlords have a protected vegie/fruit garden I participate in though.

Most of what I have around the cottage is native to the area: rhododendrons, bleeding heart, salal, kinnikkinnick, lupines, columbines, heather. I have lavender, ornamental oregano, and evening primrose on the hot dry south side of the house, with a slope of lithodora below that is loud with bees most days.

I plant basil and cilantro in pots on the back porch for ease of picking & putting in my dinner. Also have sweet peas and godetia, my favorite annuals, in pots, as well as pots of creeping jenny.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.