About the "Ramparts" scene - something is off about it
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jul 23 2015, 10:11pm

Post #101 of 107 (549 views)
Shortcut
The more dwarvish the better [In reply to] Can't Post

In my opinion Kili and Fili suffered not to be dwarvish enough.

By comparison,
Ken Stott was a smash hit
Dwalin was a beast, maybe a little bit too cerebral for my pleasure

Gloin was perfect and I wished more of him
Oin was spectacular and funny I also wished more of him

Dori was interesting and very expressive
Nori was strange but had some true potential, he's also one I would have appreciate to see more
Ori was supposed to draw or write and we see none of that

Bofur is not my favorite because I find him a little bit too multi-layered (goofy + entertainer + sweetheart)
Bombur should have talked more and shown some cooking talent, not only eating
Bifur was one of my favorites : available, discreet, obsessed with his toy-making and prompt to celebrate

My complain, if any, is not having seen too few of Kili or Fili, but having seen too few of the dwarves living, because they spent too much time fighting.
Fighting the trolls, fighting the goblins, fighting the orcs, fighting the spiders, fighting the men, fighting the dragon, fighting in BOTFA.
More than thrice the amount of fights they did in the book.

Check all the minutes spent there : those fighting minutes have devoured their timescreen more than anything else.
The elves weren't the problem by far

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Jul 23 2015, 10:13pm

Post #102 of 107 (546 views)
Shortcut
He left pretty early [In reply to] Can't Post

Rob Kazinsky filmed for about one month, that is all - and then he dropped out.

He filmed for even less than that. He had prepared for the role, like the other actors, for months prior. But he left only a week or two into filming, I believe.

He can be seen in Bag End, the only footage he was filmed in. All other background footage of Fili that's not Dean (Rivendell, the troll capture, part of Goblin Town) is not Kazinsky. It was a stand in/stunt double used either before Dean was ready for the role or when he had prior commitments and was unable to shoot some sequences. This is only in AUJ where you see another Fili.

Justice for Fili

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 10:19pm

Post #103 of 107 (543 views)
Shortcut
But why? [In reply to] Can't Post

For me the problem is that one : should all dwarves be Gimli-like ?
In a certain extent, yes, because they surely were in LOTR : see FOTR, the prologue and Rivendell.
And The Hobbit drew most of them very appropriately.

Two things - So, re LOTR, this isn't a narrative that's focused on dwarves, particularly. And PJ is doing this ground-breaking film - well, he's gonna look at what the LOTR book says, and draw on a more traditional look for dwarves, and figure out how to make dwarves work in these "unfilmable" films, and the scale issue - and even then, IMO, there are issues, in that for Gimli being depicted as comic relief is NOT how I saw the Gimli of the books - tho he does have some good dramatic moments ("he fell...")

Fast forward 10 years, and there's a movie ostensibly featuring dwarves, as a race, I think the first of its kind outside of a cartoonish-type movie...and then what? Not only is there the "visually uninteresting" concept of "13 hairy squares" dressed in colored hoods...these same "hairy squares" are going to be on a journey of many, many, miles, and be fighting...and IMO what the mind blurs in a book - I think PJ & co. were SO right about the reality of filming the dwarf raceShocked - for me, in retrospect, it could have gotten monotonous and cartoonish. Instead, I think Pj & co. DID break major ground in his dwarf depictionsHeart, while still maintaining the integrity both of a dwarven physical appearance, the fierceness, the dignity, the capacity for humor, and the aesthetic.

And the other thing - in thinking about it, as described in the Appendices, there was to be an "elevation of the dwarf race" as more than figures of fun, and I think the Hobbit movies accomplished that - from its dignified, rich portrayal of dwarf women (I think the first!?) to the magnificent dwarf aesthetic (which we had only seen in LOTR in darkened Moria) to the exotic weaponry - I mean the bodies of the dwarves that lay in Erebor were not all "hairy squares" either.

As you say, well - even Thror and Thrain have that "kind-of" Gimli look, and maybe with great age many dwarves tend to look that way. But surely not all of themShocked, and not when they are younger.

This was groundbreaking, IMOHeartHeartHeart - hopefully dwarves won't be seen as just "hairy squares" again, and even "Snow White and the Huntsman" didn't depict dwarves that way - again, they were a mixed group.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 23 2015, 10:21pm

Post #104 of 107 (539 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin was "cerebral?" [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, I NEVER would have thought that, he was the badass warrior of the group, maybe more than Thorin. Okay, so again I can only assume it comes down to beards and noses. Lots of people have complained that Aidan really didn't look Dwarvish, and I can understand that. He had the smallest amount of prosthetics - just a tip on his nose - and for some reason no beard. Ori had more beard than Kili did. Yes, I would have liked to see him draw something, they kept talking about his journal but I don't think I ever saw it once - and I've watched all 3 movies dozens of times each (bit scary when you think about itTongue).

Naturally Gloin was closest to Gimli in design. You are right, we didn't get to see much of them "living" outside of Bag End, which could be why AUJ is probably my favorite of the 3 and BOT5A comes in last place. But BOT5A was Thorin's story even more than Bilbo's, and there are plenty of folks on TORn that complain HE got sidelined in his own movie. I can understand that feeling, even if I don't agree with it.

Gee, this has been fun! I can't believe this thread is still going - what a great way to waste time at work, hehehe!Wink

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 10:24pm

Post #105 of 107 (536 views)
Shortcut
You are right - it might get cold..... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I need food:

Cool

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 10:27pm

Post #106 of 107 (535 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* [In reply to] Can't Post

Gee, this has been fun! I can't believe this thread is still going - what a great way to waste time at work, hehehe!Wink

Cool

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 23 2015, 11:30pm

Post #107 of 107 (515 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't thought of Dwalin being the one to tell Tauriel that they want to bury Kili. Hopefully SOMETHING involving Fili happens at Ravenhill before the funeral.

Or maybe Dwalin will just ride a troll down to join the rest of the main battle, and we'll all be disappointed.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.