Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Who has met Middle Earth actors or crew members?

Jeffrodo
Bree

Jul 18 2015, 1:54pm

Post #1 of 13 (1758 views)
Shortcut
Who has met Middle Earth actors or crew members? Can't Post

Inspired by the lovely thread about meeting Sir Ian, it got me thinking. Who among us has met anyone connected to LOTR or Hobbit movies? Have you met any of the actors or the crew? Have photos? Let's hear your stories!

Personally, I've met Sean Astin. It was around 2012 at C2E2 in Chicago. He was wonderful...very kind!

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Jul 19 2015, 7:46am

Post #2 of 13 (1684 views)
Shortcut
Viggo and Alan Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

I met Viggo at the Chicago Film Festival for the Premier of "Good".
He was very gracious and signed autographs for all that he could.
Alan Lee signed books at a bookstore in Chicago shortly after ROTK came out. He was funny, kind and signed all our books, even drawing pictures in some of them. His talk was really nice and he took the time to talk with fans before and after it. A highlight was when he passed around an original drawing for us to look at closely. For the life of me I cannot remember what it was.Blush
I've been trying to meet Orlando but no luck... Would love to meet any of the other cast or crew.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Jul 19 2015, 6:08pm

Post #3 of 13 (1658 views)
Shortcut
I've been lucky enough to meet several [In reply to] Can't Post

members of cast at a couple of 'Collectormania'-type events, in 2004 or thereabouts, I think? I came to the whole 'fandom' thing quite late in life, but it was fun. I did the standard 'picture signing and photo' thing with Sean Astin - he was very slick and polished - and Andy Serkis, who also posed for a group shot with us; very cheery he was. At the evening Q&A session with Sean Astin and Elijah Wood I gave them both bookmarks I made when I was a member of a Samwise fansite called BitOfEarth, which was extinguished under something of a cloud eventually - very sad. At another event my friend and I met Kirin Shah, Elijah Wood's scale double. Also went to see Sir Ian McKellen play Widow Twankey at the Old Vic, which was a scream; we queued at the stage door afterwards for autographs and he appeared briefly, but was tired and suffering from a cold, so didn't stay long. I was also lucky enough to be able to thank Howard Shore personally for the wonderful music after we saw him conduct it at the Royal Festival Hall; he autographed programmes for us at the stage door. Before all that, back in the summer of 2002, I met Brett McKenzie (Figwit) in Edinburgh when I went up for a weekend to meet a group of TORnsibs staying there; we watched Flight of the Conchords perform, which was great. There will be people on these boards who will have seen waaay more people connected with the films than I have, I'm very sure!

Ettelewen
Rohan

Jul 20 2015, 7:00pm

Post #4 of 13 (1623 views)
Shortcut
Sound Department [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes - I grew up with Ethan Van Der Ryn, Supervising Sound Editor/Co-Designer for The Lord of the Rings, and Chris Boyes, Sound Re-Recording Mixer for both The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, when we all lived in West Marin county, California. I remember them as very creative, very nice guys, both. Haven't seen either of them for many years, alas.

emre43
Rohan

Jul 21 2015, 7:18am

Post #5 of 13 (1565 views)
Shortcut
I've met Alan Lee [In reply to] Can't Post

And seen Billy Boyd, Lawrence Mokoare, Karl Urban, Bernard Hill and many other 'lesser' crew members.

Two things I love most, good horses and beautiful women, And when I die I hope they tan this old hide of mine and make it into a ladies riding saddle, So I can rest in peace between the two things I love.
- Russell J. Larsen

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 21 2015, 9:51am

Post #6 of 13 (1563 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to TORn [In reply to] Can't Post

I've met quite a few since 2002:

When it comes to LotR, I've met: Daniel Reeve (twice), Elijah Wood (3 times), Sean Astin (3 times), Billy Boyd, Dom Monaghan, John Rhys Davies, Miranda Otto, John Noble, Alexandra Astin (Sean's daughter), Richard Taylor, Jamie Selkirk (editor of RotK), Tania Roger, Howard Shore, Doug Adams, David Salo, Daniel Reeve, Bruce Hopkins (twice), Royd Tolkien, Rick Porras, TORn's Quickbeam, Founders Tehanu, Calisuri, Quickbeam, Corvar, Xoanon, and many, many of our very wonderful TORnsibbies :) I've seen many more at conventions, but haven't been fortunate to personally meet them.

Tolkien artists and authors: Colleen Doran (artist), Ari Berk (Author works with Brian Froud and Alan Lee), Ted Nasmith (twice), Paul Badali (jewelry artist), Douglas A. Anderson (Hobbit book), Tim Kirk (artist), Peter S. Beagle (author), Tom Shippey (author), Anne C. Petty (author), Charles Ross (One Man Star Wars/LotR performer), Lynette Porter (Author), and Greg Wright (HollywoodJesus).

Non-Tolkien related people I've met: Brian Froud (artist), Dave Tango (Ghost Hunters), Weasley Twins and Neville (Harry Potter), James Marsters (Spike from Buffy), Kenny Baker (R2D2), Wendy Froud (wife of Brian Froud and sculptor/puppet building for Jim Henson & fabricated Yoda for Empire Strikes Back).

Thanks to TORnsibbies/friends, I was thrilled to have lunch with Daniel Reeve while I was on a trip to Wellington, NZ. He signed My Signlanguage book by Viggo Mortensen, that has been signed by everyone (sibbies, cast, crew, etc.) I've met. Mr. Reeve did a freehand of the Ringspell.

None of this would have happened if it hadn't been for TORn. I've had more adventures, creativity and fun since I found my Tolkien home here in 2002 :)

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jul 21 2015, 9:52am)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2015, 6:40pm

Post #7 of 13 (1470 views)
Shortcut
I wish. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Middle Earth actors are some of the few I'd actually like to meet in person, but I've never had the opportunity to do so. I just heard today that Sean Astin and Billy Boyd are coming to the one and only big Comic Con (as far as I'm aware) in my state, which is the first time (again, as far as I'm aware) any of the actors have been anywhere that I could actually physically get to. But I seriously doubt that I'll be able to go unless my mother gives me the surprise of my life and says we have the money, and I'm pretty sure we don't.Frown

Lord I give you everything, Anything you want from me
Take my past and my future I lay it at your feet
Yeah, I'm after your heart, you've stolen mine
I give you my all 'cause you gave up your life
I'm not who I was simply because, Oh, you set me free

And you change me from what I used to be
Opened my eyes, now I can see
You're making this life so beautiful
So beautiful

~"Beautiful" by Dan Bremnes

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 23 2015, 7:33pm

Post #8 of 13 (1468 views)
Shortcut
What a list Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

but its phrased wrong in your case...it should be, 'What M-e cast members had the honor of meeting Gramma?' WinkHeart

I met Richard briefly after Pinter on Proust last year, and he was a (very tired but happy, I think) but sweetly charming person. I've seen Sir Ian onstage, and exchanged a wave or two with Orlando at the Hobbit Live Event (he's like a big kid in person, he's very gregarious and unselfconscious, adorable.) The Key to Erebor that I have may have come from Dan Hennah - not sure, hubby got it from a production person in NYC there for an industry event who said it was used on camera; and while watching Appendices ID'd Dan - but that's a mystery, in truth. (Hubby is not great with names.)

Love that you met Dave Tango! I'm a GH fan, and I keep a GH hat in my car in case I ever see the black vans on LI!

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 24 2015, 5:50am

Post #9 of 13 (1452 views)
Shortcut
Does this count? [In reply to] Can't Post

Being nearly run over by an actor who played a dwarf, but who shall remain nameless? I am still bitter and twisted about that incident.Evil

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 24 2015, 11:50am

Post #10 of 13 (1444 views)
Shortcut
Yep, that counts! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I hope one day you get the chance to tell him so (after you've asked for his autograph) Evil

I was at the signing of The Children of Hurin in London on the day it came out (Alan Lee was there in person and the first I-can't-remember-how-many people had the chance to buy a copy with a bookplate signed by Christopher Tolkien). There were lots of events in the shop. Adam Tolkien talked about the book and someone - Bernard Hill, I think - read from it. They showed a film about Tolkien and Alan Lee was due to give an illustrated talk in the afternoon. Lots of people stayed for that and the room was pretty full, but there was a problem with the shop's projector and as they faffed about trying to make it work people drifted off. In the end there were only a few of us left and we sat around Alan Lee's laptop and watched the slides on that. That was really fun, because instead of a more formal lecture he was just chatting to us and it was easier to join in.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 25 2015, 4:55am

Post #11 of 13 (1396 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than hang out with that guy!

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 25 2015, 8:34am

Post #12 of 13 (1383 views)
Shortcut
OK - then I hope you get the chance to tell him so.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...without the autograph.

And you might find somewhere more creative to stick the pins..... (Just sayin') Tongue

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Jul 29 2015, 7:54am

Post #13 of 13 (1309 views)
Shortcut
Close Encounters of the Ring Kind..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Jeffrodo, was honored to meet a few actors and one horsewoman,

Met Viggo Mortensen for a few mins and got Two Towers, Making of book, for him to autograph, when movie came out, and he was totally laid back and cool. Waited about 4-5 hrs in LA bookstore with fans in lines wrapped round the block. We totally kept each other occupied with LOTR fan buzz, so it was actually bearable. He was wearing anti Irag war shirt, a jersey with protests written on it. He was very outspoken on this at the time as I recall.

Met Andy Serikis, at ComicCon early 2000s, and he was also very cordial. Said he's gratified for the older fan who waited a long time for these movies and thought they might never see them--he likes hearing that apparently, says it inspires him.

Also had beer in L.a. beach bar with a woman named Jane, forgot last name, who startled me when she said she did horse-wrangling and riding stunts for LOTR. She said she was Arwen in the trickier Flight to the Ford horse segments, and may have done others. What are the odds??

The 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate
"From the scroll rooms of Gondor....."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.