The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The Two Towers -- Number Quiz

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 18 2015, 1:19pm

Post #1 of 13 (1174 views)
Shortcut
The Two Towers -- Number Quiz Can't Post

The answers to all the following questions can be found in the text of The Two Towers.
How’s your number retention
Open or closed book – your choice.
One should quickly switch to “THREADED VIEWING” if you want to give a try and don’t wish to see other’s answers.
Good luck! Have fun! Smile

1. How many paths led into Derndingle?
2. Who won the ‘numbers game’ between Gimli and Legolas at Helm’s Deep?
Extra credit! What was the final score?
3. Name 6 people who marched to the parley at Orthanc from the battle at Helm’s Deep.
4. Give 2 translations for “Orthanc”.
5. How high was the Deeping Wall? (I think an average would suffice.)

6. How far had Aragorn, Gimli, & Legolas traveled from Parth Galen when intercepted by Éomer’s Éored?
7. What 3 races of people were seen under the waters of the Dead Marshes?
8. What 2 places did Gimli & Legolas make a pact to visit after the War of the Ring?
9. What epithet did Aragorn give himself, Gimli, and Legolas as they attempted to rescue Merry & Pippin?
10. How many horses did Éomer lend to Aragorn, Legolas, & Gimli?

11. Name 6 places the palantíri were kept before the fall of Arnor.
12. Within 10 feet about how long was the hithlain rope given to Sam by the Elves of Lórien?
13. Give 3 reasons that Sam thought Frodo was dead after the attack by Shelob.
14. How many (in origin) were in Éomer’s éored when they met Aragorn, Gimli, & Legolas?
15. Give 3 names or epithets the Dunlendings called the people of Rohan.
16. How many children did Théoden have besides Théodred?

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Jul 18 2015, 1:49pm

Post #2 of 13 (1159 views)
Shortcut
I don't know many [In reply to] Can't Post

2. Gimli, 42 and 41
3 Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Theoden, Eomer and Gandalf
7 Men, elvs and orcs
8 Fangorn and the glitering cavs.
10 2 horses
16 0

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 18 2015, 11:46pm

Post #3 of 13 (1132 views)
Shortcut
100% so far Smaug- Thanks for playing! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2015, 3:51am

Post #4 of 13 (1115 views)
Shortcut
Retention? [In reply to] Can't Post

Number retention is not all that sharp, but look-up skills are great! Laugh

1. How many paths led into Derndingle?
Three.

2. Who won the ‘numbers game’ between Gimli and Legolas at Helm’s Deep?
Extra credit! What was the final score?
Gimli's 42 to Legolas' 41. (I think Leggy only said that Gimli had surpassed him in order to make him not feel so badly about his axe getting a nick in it from the 42nd orc.)

3. Name 6 people who marched to the parley at Orthanc from the battle at Helm’s Deep.
Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Theoden, Eomer. (And Merry and Pippin and a bunch of Rohirrim).

Mount Fang (Elvish); "Cunning Mind" (Rohirric).

5. How high was the Deeping Wall? (I think an average would suffice.)
Twenty feet high, and four may walk abreast.

6. How far had Aragorn, Gimli, & Legolas traveled from Parth Galen when intercepted by Éomer’s Éored?
45 leagues, which is probably 135 miles, using 1 league=3 miles (although that varies).

7. What 3 races of people were seen under the waters of the Dead Marshes?
Elves, Men, Orcs.

8. What 2 places did Gimli & Legolas make a pact to visit after the War of the Ring?
Aglarond (Glittering Caves), and Fangorn Forest.

9. What epithet did Aragorn give himself, Gimli, and Legolas as they attempted to rescue Merry & Pippin?
Forth the Three Hunters - but who was that "fourth" hunter? Wink

10. How many horses did Éomer lend to Aragorn, Legolas, & Gimli?
Two.

How about all seven? Tower Hills west of the Shire; Annuminas; Amon Sul (Weathertop); Osgiliath; Orthanc; Minas Anor (Tirith); Minas Ithil (Morgul).

12. Within 10 feet about how long was the hithlain rope given to Sam by the Elves of Lórien?
"30 ells, more or less" - well, an ell is either the length between longest finger and elbow (18" for a man, but shorter for a hobbit), or between the two outstretched fingers (45" for a man, shorter for a hobbit). Since the first one has "old Germanic" roots (yeah, I've been peeking through the online dictionaries), I'll assume Tolkien was thinking of that distance. So 30 ells would put the rope at 45 feet for a man, but maybe 25 for a hobbit, if they're proportionally half the size of men.

He was pale and cold, he could discern no breathing, and there was no change in Frodo's face when he removed the Ring from him.

14. How many (in origin) were in Éomer’s éored when they met Aragorn, Gimli, & Legolas?
105, thank you very much, Leggy.

15. Give 3 names or epithets the Dunlendings called the people of Rohan.
Forgoil, Strawheads, Robbers of the North.

16. How many children did Théoden have besides Théodred?
None.

Thanks again, BG!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Jul 19 2015, 7:40am

Post #5 of 13 (1097 views)
Shortcut
I know a few of these [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

1. How many paths led into Derndingle?One?
2. Who won the ‘numbers game’ between Gimli and Legolas at Helm’s Deep?Legolas, but he cheated.
Extra credit! What was the final score? 42
3. Name 6 people who marched to the parley at Orthanc from the battle at Helm’s Deep. Legolas, Gimli, Gandalf, Aragorn, Eomer and Theoden
4. Give 2 translations for “Orthanc”. Tall pointy thing?Wizard boxing ring? 5. How high was the Deeping Wall? (I think an average would suffice.) Thirty feet?

6. How far had Aragorn, Gimli, & Legolas traveled from Parth Galen when intercepted by Éomer’s Éored?Three days run
7. What 3 races of people were seen under the waters of the Dead Marshes? Elves, Men and Orcs
8. What 2 places did Gimli & Legolas make a pact to visit after the War of the Ring? Glittering CavesFangorn Forest
9. What epithet did Aragorn give himself, Gimli, and Legolas as they attempted to rescue Merry & Pippin? The Three Hunters (or the Very Sore Footed)
10. How many horses did Éomer lend to Aragorn, Legolas, & Gimli? Two

11. Name 6 places the palantíri were kept before the fall of Arnor.Minas Ithil, Minas Tirith, Orthanc, Rivendell?, Ithilien?, Mathom House?
12. Within 10 feet about how long was the hithlain rope given to Sam by the Elves of Lórien? 50
13. Give 3 reasons that Sam thought Frodo was dead after the attack by Shelob.He was pale, cold and didn't appear to be breathing. Also, he didn't attack Sam when he took the ring.
14. How many (in origin) were in Éomer’s éored when they met Aragorn, Gimli, & Legolas? 40?
15. Give 3 names or epithets the Dunlendings called the people of Rohan. Horse masters? Yellow haired? (Wait, that was Custer), ???
16. How many children did Théoden have besides Théodred?None

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 19 2015, 2:15pm

Post #6 of 13 (1090 views)
Shortcut
Way to go dernwyn . . . some thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Theoden, Eomer. (And Merry and Pippin and a bunch of Rohirrim).
Bunch of Rohirrim – right. Merry and Pippin – No. (They were already at Isengard) – Gottcha – Sly

Yes, those were my answers also; A piece of trivia: I could be wrong, but I don’t believe the word “Rohirric” is used anywhere in LotR (although it seems a given doesn’t it?). But could it be found in other published sources? Dunno.

How about all seven? Tower Hills west of the Shire; Annuminas; Amon Sul (Weathertop); Osgiliath; Orthanc; Minas Anor (Tirith); Minas Ithil (Morgul).
Good! You named the Seven, but I guess out of orneriness I’ll call you on the Master Stone kept at Eressea, #8 . . .

"30 ells, more or less" - well, an ell is either the length between longest finger and elbow (18" for a man, but shorter for a hobbit), or between the two outstretched fingers (45" for a man, shorter for a hobbit). Since the first one has "old Germanic" roots (yeah, I've been peeking through the online dictionaries), I'll assume Tolkien was thinking of that distance. So 30 ells would put the rope at 45 feet for a man, but maybe 25 for a hobbit, if they're proportionally half the size of men.
This is one question I probably should have let go. (Yeah, I did some online peeking too.) Anyway, I had 30 ells or as Sam says (next page) “18 fathoms”. There seem to be a couple answers to the length of an ell . . . 45” or 18” depending?. I chose the obsolete English 45” ell x 30 = 1350” = 112’ as it is more in accord with the “fathom” which the consensus seems to be 6’ x 18 = 108’. So my estimate was about 112 feet. Oh my! Crazy Crazy

He was pale and cold, he could discern no breathing, and there was no change in Frodo's face when he removed the Ring from him.
My three reasons were -- No breath (stir of life), no heartbeat, cold to the touch.
I hadn’t thought of “no change in Frodo’s face when he removed the Ring from him.” As Sam “was convinced at last that Frodo had died . . . “ Good catch!!

I’m thinking 120 here. From my Ballantine pb Ed., p. 39, Leggy says “Yes . . . there are one hundred and five.” (Riders). Later on p. 48, Eomer says, “Fifteen of my men I lost, and twelve horses alas!” So, if Legolas sees 105 riders and Eomer says 15 men were lost I figure (in origin) there were 120 in the eored. Am I thinking right here?
BTW – Foster’s Guide says 104 (??)

Forth Eorlingas! – Forth The Three Hunters! – Anymore “Forths”? Or “Fourths”?
Ah, yes, the Forth of July! Tongue

-JRR Tolkien

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 19 2015, 2:17pm

Post #7 of 13 (1087 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for playing Eruwestial [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll get back to you after 1st Breakfast.

Thag you very buch! Wink

-JRR Tolkien

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jul 19 2015, 4:09pm

Post #8 of 13 (1079 views)
Shortcut
used book [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Three …
2. Gimli … 42 to 41
3. Eomer, Theoden, Gandalf, Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas
4. the cunning mind/Mount Fang/forked height
5. Twenty feet high and four men could walk abreast along the top
6. forty five leagues
7. Orcs and Elves and Men
8. Glittering Caves and Fangorn Forest
9. Three Hunters
10. Two – Arod and Hasufel
11. Osgiliath, Minas Ithil, Minas Anor, Orthanc, Amon Sul, Annuminas, Elostiron
12. About 110 feet.... 30 ells 30 x 45 in 1350 in/12 is 112.5 feet
13. Sam laid his head upon Frodo's breast and his mouth but felt no stir of life. Fordo's hands and brow were cold.
14. An eored...120 men …. minus the fifteen lost in the battle with the orcs so 115
15. Strawheads Forgoil Robbers of the North
16. none

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 19 2015, 5:24pm

Post #9 of 13 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Here ya go [In reply to] Can't Post

1. How many paths led into Derndingle?One?
2. Who won the ‘numbers game’ between Gimli and Legolas at Helm’s Deep?Legolas, but he cheated.
Oops. Gimli won by 1. 42 to 41

4. Give 2 translations for “Orthanc”. Tall pointy thing?Wizard boxing ring?
Humor credit – 2 points. Cool
5. How high was the Deeping Wall? (I think an average would suffice.) Thirty feet?
20’

6. How far had Aragorn, Gimli, & Legolas traveled from Parth Galen when intercepted by Éomer’s Éored?Three days run
Oops. Three days is not a distance me thinks. About 135 miles Unsure

9. What epithet did Aragorn give himself, Gimli, and Legolas as they attempted to rescue Merry & Pippin? The Three Hunters (or the Very Sore Footed)
Correct! 2 more humor extra credits – ha! Sly

11. Name 6 places the palantíri were kept before the fall of Arnor.Minas Ithil, Minas Tirith, Orthanc, Rivendell?, Ithilien?, Mathom House?
Tower Hills, Amon Sul, Annuminus, Osgiliath, Minas Ithil (Morgul), Minas Anor (Tirith), Orthanc, (Master Stone – Eressea) -- Aw shucks, ½ credit for 3,

12. Within 10 feet about how long was the hithlain rope given to Sam by the Elves of Lórien? 50
Hmm, questionable. (See my response to dernwyn.) I think about 112 feet

13. Give 3 reasons that Sam thought Frodo was dead after the attack by Shelob.He was pale, cold and didn't appear to be breathing. Also, he didn't attack Sam when he took the ring.
Extra Credit for the non-attack! Nice work! Smile
14. How many (in origin) were in Éomer’s éored when they met Aragorn, Gimli, & Legolas? 40?
I think 120. Some complicated. Again see my post to dernwyn
15. Give 3 names or epithets the Dunlendings called the people of Rohan. Horse masters? Yellow haired? (Wait, that was Custer), ???
Forgoil, Strawheads and Robbers of the North. (1/2 point for Custer- “Forth Custerlingas!” Pirate

-JRR Tolkien

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 19 2015, 6:06pm

Post #10 of 13 (1064 views)
Shortcut
Super Silverdorf – couple of comments: [In reply to] Can't Post

4. the cunning mind/Mount Fang/forked height
”Forked height” I hadn’t found or thought of. Extra credit!! Smile

11. Osgiliath, Minas Ithil, Minas Anor, Orthanc, Amon Sul, Annuminas, Elostiron
Well, so far everyone missed the Master Stone at Eressea. Kinda sneaky on my part **BG ducks for cover** Sly

13. Sam laid his head upon Frodo's breast and his mouth but felt no stir of life. Fordo's hands and brow were cold.
I think you got all three here that I had: No breath, no heartbeat, cold to the touch. Also what cinched it for Sam (as noted by dernwyn & Eruwestial) was no response when he removed the Ring from Frodo.

14. An eored...120 men …. minus the fifteen lost in the battle with the orcs so 115
Legolas sees from a far distance 105 riders. Later during the encounter Eomer states that he lost 15 men during the attack on the Orcs – makes for an (original) eored of 120.
An eored could be of various sizes. I.e. The Rohirrim were divided into approximately 3 eoreds of about 2,000 each on the Pelennor.

Thanks a bunch for playing… Smile

-JRR Tolkien

(This post was edited by Bracegirdle on Jul 19 2015, 6:09pm)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Jul 19 2015, 6:14pm

Post #11 of 13 (1061 views)
Shortcut
Obviously I can't subtract [In reply to] Can't Post

120 - 15 is 105. Sheez

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2015, 7:34pm

Post #12 of 13 (1052 views)
Shortcut
True, true! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bunch of Rohirrim – right. Merry and Pippin – No. (They were already at Isengard) – Gottcha – Sly
Quite true, I should have left out mentioning the hobbits, since they were not at the Helm's Deep battle!

Yes, those were my answers also; A piece of trivia: I could be wrong, but I don’t believe the word “Rohirric” is used anywhere in LotR (although it seems a given doesn’t it?). But could it be found in other published sources? Dunno.
I did a search - apparently Tolkien never uses it, but Robert Foster does in his Guide. I've used it for years, it just seemed logical!

Good! You named the Seven, but I guess out of orneriness I’ll call you on the Master Stone kept at Eressea, #8 . . .
*sticks out tongue*

This is one question I probably should have let go. (Yeah, I did some online peeking too.) Anyway, I had 30 ells or as Sam says (next page) “18 fathoms”. There seem to be a couple answers to the length of an ell . . . 45” or 18” depending?. I chose the obsolete English 45” ell x 30 = 1350” = 112’ as it is more in accord with the “fathom” which the consensus seems to be 6’ x 18 = 108’. So my estimate was about 112 feet. Oh my! Crazy Crazy
The longer length makes more sense, considering how tall that cliff-face probably was. Of course, we could always say, "What the 'ell was Tolkien thinking!" Angelic

My three reasons were -- No breath (stir of life), no heartbeat, cold to the touch.
I hadn’t thought of “no change in Frodo’s face when he removed the Ring from him.” As Sam “was convinced at last that Frodo had died . . . “ Good catch!!

That part about the Ring was the one that always hit me in the gut...Unsure

I’m thinking 120 here. From my Ballantine pb Ed., p. 39, Leggy says “Yes . . . there are one hundred and five.” (Riders). Later on p. 48, Eomer says, “Fifteen of my men I lost, and twelve horses alas!” So, if Legolas sees 105 riders and Eomer says 15 men were lost I figure (in origin) there were 120 in the eored. Am I thinking right here?
Yeah, I did the number when they met the Three, not when they set out. 104? I wonder where that came from? Unless one fell off between the time Leggy saw them, and when they bounded up to our guys?

Forth Eorlingas! – Forth The Three Hunters! – Anymore “Forths”? Or “Fourths”?
Ah, yes, the Forth of July! Tongue
No, I think it was February...Tongue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 20 2015, 1:10am

Post #13 of 13 (1036 views)
Shortcut
Care for more “Fosterings”? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I did the number when they met the Three, not when they set out. 104? I wonder where that came from? Unless one fell off between the time Leggy saw them, and when they bounded up to our guys?
I think Foster was just wrong. Or he didn’t count Eomer as one of the “men”?? But then he’d still need another 15 to get up to 119 to get to the original # . . . Whew . . . Tongue

I did a search - apparently Tolkien never uses it, but Robert Foster does in his Guide. I've used it for years, it just seemed logical!
I think Foster made a supposition with “Rohirric”; but a darn good one. I’ve always used it too. Yes, very logical.
And we both missed a translation for “Orthanc” brought to us by our very own Sevilodorf. (Sindarin: Forked height)

Here’s some more Foster errors or suppositions:

Battle of the Hornburg. “ . . . Theoden, Eomer, and Aragorn at their head, sallied forth from the Hornburg . . . ”
(Eomer was NOT in this sortie; he was back in the Deep with Gimli. They were not reunited with Theoden and Aragorn until after the victory was won.)

Battle of the Pelennor Fields. “ . . . the Lord of the Nazgul scattered the Rohirrim and slew Theoden . . .”
(Theoden was crushed by his horse Snowmane. The Lord of the Nazgul never laid a claw on Theoden.) Being a little picky here.

Cirdan. “He built Vingilot for Earendil.”
(Earendil built Vingilot with the aid of Cirdan.) Picky again?

Forest Gate. “Thorin and Company were shown this gate by Beorn..”
(The Forest Gate was 2-3 day’s pony ride from Beorn’s house. He only told them about it.)

Gollum. “He caught up with Frodo and the Company of the Ring outside the West-gate…”
(He was (already) inside Moria when he “caught up” with the Fellowship. How he got there he never told us – Sneakin’, I guess.) Sly

Gwaihir. “Lord of the Eagles of the Misty Mountains.”
(Some agree. I disagree. This has been discussed to a fare-thee-well, but Gwaihir was never called “Lord of the Eagles” nor “King of all Birds”. And I rely on the “Third time pays for all” quote before the Morannon.)

Holman Greenhand. “He lived at Number 3 Bagshot Row.”
(Hamfast & Sam lived at Number 3 – Holman’s address is unknown.)

Mithril Mail. “A corslet and helmet of mithril made in Erebor…”
(The helmet was not mithril.)

Side-door. “..and the door, five feet high and three feet wide…”
( must have been much more than “three feet wide” as the map says “. . . and three may walk abreast. . .”.)

Stone of Erech. “..was perhaps six feet in diameter.”
(Had to be at least ten feet in diameter. Tall as a man yet half buried.)

West-gate of Moria. “The West-gate was made of ithildin..”
(It was made of stone. Only the “hidden markings” were of ithildin.)

Don’t get me wrong. I love Foster’s Guide. Heart But I’m glad he gives page numbers for verification.

-JRR Tolkien

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.