Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Official Introduction & Welcome Thread
First page Previous page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next page Last page  View All

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 20 2015, 8:31pm

Post #551 of 666 (99569 views)
Shortcut
Mae govannen! [In reply to] Can't Post

Stick around and make yourself at home! Smile

Súleth
The Shire

Apr 20 2015, 11:36pm

Post #552 of 666 (100881 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 27 2015, 5:09pm

Post #553 of 666 (101754 views)
Shortcut
A belated welcome, Suleth! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Súleth
The Shire

Apr 27 2015, 10:47pm

Post #554 of 666 (100001 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

(This post was edited by Súleth on Apr 27 2015, 10:48pm)

Jade Jess
The Shire

May 8 2015, 6:33pm

Post #555 of 666 (103078 views)
Shortcut
Hi everybody [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Friday! I'm Jess, a new newbie. I like stormy nights, blackened tilapia, Pentatonix, SF and fantasy, fan art, and creative writing. See you around ;)

BlackFox
Half-elven

May 8 2015, 6:38pm

Post #556 of 666 (102525 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Jade Jess
The Shire

May 8 2015, 6:49pm

Post #557 of 666 (99272 views)
Shortcut
:) Thank you, BlackFox [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

May 9 2015, 4:20am

Post #558 of 666 (99504 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Jade // [In reply to] Can't Post

Jade Jess
The Shire

May 9 2015, 5:44pm

Post #559 of 666 (101908 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, CuriousG [In reply to] Can't Post

Arveldir

Jul 14 2015, 2:12pm

Post #560 of 666 (97712 views)
Shortcut
New here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello everyone! I just recently joined. I have always been a fan of the trilogy, but never read any of the books! I now just started reading the Silmarillion.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 14 2015, 2:34pm

Post #561 of 666 (98678 views)
Shortcut
Hey there! [In reply to] Can't Post

Always nice to see a new member. The Silmarillion is heavy material to start with when reading Tolkien. It isn't a novel but is formatted more like a cross between a history and a religious text. If you find it to difficult to get into, you might want to switch to The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit or another one one of Professor Tolkien's works that was published in his lifetime (The Tolkien Reader includes a number of shorter works).

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Arveldir

Jul 14 2015, 4:00pm

Post #562 of 666 (98356 views)
Shortcut
The Silmarillion [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

In Reply To
Always nice to see a new member. The Silmarillion is heavy material to start with when reading Tolkien. It isn't a novel but is formatted more like a cross between a history and a religious text. If you find it to difficult to get into, you might want to switch to The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit or another one one of Professor Tolkien's works that was published in his lifetime (The Tolkien Reader includes a number of shorter works).

Ruscuite

Jul 18 2015, 9:01am

Post #563 of 666 (97163 views)
Shortcut
Why hello there.. c: [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm Ruscuite (really wanted to have it with the ë but I don't know if those are available in usernames? Ah well.), you can also call me Rusc, I like how it sounds-

I live in one of those areas that hardly anyone knows about unless they have been there at some point and I'm a bit of a nerd, from all I've learned about Tolkien it seems that we would have agreed on a great deal of topics and the other day I just felt such a strong need to talk to him in person but alas he is dead ._.

I speak three languages fluently, but am learning/wish to learn so much more, for linguistic studies are one of my greatest passions, my favourites are Russian and Scottish Gaelic.

Sometimes I think and talk in various quotes, though when I do so they hold a special meaning to me and their purpose is far beyond reminding people of a given piece.

I read a lot and of various genres, though it seems that my favourite genres are fantasy and the thing that is called um.. romantic realism I think?

I've been told I act like a grumpy 60 year old, I guess it's because of my chronical nostalgia, (relative) conservativeness, love for tradition and dislike of modern technology.. But actually I am a teen.
Apparently most people think I enjoy only calm music, but while I do love it (Slavic ethnic music is my favourite), I listen to various other things too, such as rock, folk metal, etc.

English is only my third language and though I am quite fluent in it for casual use, I sometimes have trouble finding the right words for stuff and end up using the less appropriate ones that do not tell exactly what I want them to.. but ah well. ._. (just saying though, if you ever see me not knowing what a certain word means, this is why. Although nowadays I tend to do the research before asking.)
And sometimes I end up with the thing where I say(write) a lot of words that don't say anything relevant, I hope I didn't do so here as well?

So yeah um I came here in hopes to find new friends, and that's that for now. See you later!~

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2015, 1:32pm

Post #564 of 666 (99150 views)
Shortcut
Greetings, Rusc! [In reply to] Can't Post

And welcome to TORn. Smile

There are many here for whom English is not their first language, so if you ever have a question about word usage, feel free to ask!

Enjoy browsing around the various Boards. I have the feeling, that the Reading Room may be most to your liking! They've just finished a discussion of FotR there. But you can post a question, or start a discussion on something that interests you, at any time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 18 2015, 5:47pm

Post #565 of 666 (99713 views)
Shortcut
Mae govannen, Rusc! [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you actually a Rus, by any chance? Your references to Slavs lead me to suspect you're in eastern Europe. Not that it's any of my business, just idle curiosity talking.

Don't stress over your English; you write it better than many of us who learned it as our first language.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

(This post was edited by Meneldor on Jul 18 2015, 5:48pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 18 2015, 7:26pm

Post #566 of 666 (98253 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Rusc! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm trying to ease up on getting on the case of other posters about language usage unless that usage makes their posts confusing or unreadable.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 19 2015, 2:07am

Post #567 of 666 (98561 views)
Shortcut
Huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm trying to ease up on getting on the case of other posters about language usage unless that usage makes their posts confusing or unreadable.

I don't understand what you're trying to say, OS. Wink

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 19 2015, 1:52pm

Post #568 of 666 (97573 views)
Shortcut
And? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was replying to Ruscuite and this part of his post:

English is only my third language and though I am quite fluent in it for casual use, I sometimes have trouble finding the right words for stuff and end up using the less appropriate ones that do not tell exactly what I want them to.. but ah well. ._. (just saying though, if you ever see me not knowing what a certain word means, this is why.

I'm not sure why you felt a need to respond as I was not addressing you. But it's all good.

Ruscuite

Jul 19 2015, 7:39pm

Post #569 of 666 (99138 views)
Shortcut
[reply] -- yeah I don't know how to pick a subject for every post -- [In reply to] Can't Post

No, I am not a Rus, though I really like their language and culture. I learned to read and write in cyrillic script a bit less than two years ago.

I live in central Europe, in Croatia and Slovenia, but when you have double ethnicity & nationality and move between the two so often that they are both considered home, answering the "where are you from" type of questions gets quite tedious.

As for my English, well I don't worry about it too much, I can easily get a 5 (aka "excellent") grade at it in school even without studying, but creative writing and linguistic theory are quite another thing (I never quite grasped the concept of English pronounciation, I mean I can speak it normally, but when it comes to stand-alone letters or explanation of how something is said - that just leaves me very confused. Explaining more complex languages in English gets really confusing too), and there have been cases where others got surprised that I didn't know the words for common things, but there are some things we don't learn much of at school and which haven't come up very often on the internet or television, and it might look like I don't know about basic things when in reality it is purely an issue of language.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! ^^

Meneldor
Valinor

Jul 19 2015, 8:32pm

Post #570 of 666 (97834 views)
Shortcut
Just a little joke. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm not sure why you felt a need to respond as I was not addressing you. But it's all good.

Very little, apparently. Blush

CFGriffith
The Shire

Aug 21 2015, 3:48pm

Post #571 of 666 (96885 views)
Shortcut
Better late than never, I suppose! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello all, my name is Cynthia. I've lurked off and on for a little while, but admittedly tend to be a little quiet and just read instead of chatting. I decided to finally join so I could more easily keep up with any new posts and news.

I'm "new" to Tolkien fandom -- although I'd seen the Lord of the Rings movies, I really only got interested in Middle Earth through The Hobbit when my husband wanted to go see AUJ. He'd been a fan of the book and Thorin since childhood. Now I'm hooked with him, and even started slowly reading The Silmarillion, because... thanks to Richard's performance, and my shared enjoyment of the story with my husband, I'm back to doing art again for the first time in a decade or more (eek -- actually, I honestly never thought I'd draw again, but thankfully I started back up again in 2013). While I do hope to draw things like The Sil and even The Hobbit book version, I'm still having fun drawing my own blend of the movies/book for now while I get used to pencil and brush again. Wink

Glad to "meet" you all!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2015, 4:35pm

Post #572 of 666 (96420 views)
Shortcut
Greetings, CF! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's been one of the best things about these movies: the number of people whom they've helped introduce to Tolkien! Heart

Would you be willing to share some of your artwork in the Fan Art board? It sounds like you're creating some fascinating pieces! Cool I'm glad you've been able to get back to doing something you love to do.

And welcome to TORn!

CFGriffith
The Shire

Aug 21 2015, 4:44pm

Post #573 of 666 (97955 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree with you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit, I tried to get into Middle Earth earlier (I really really wanted to), but I honestly just wasn't at the right place in my life back then. :( It happens.

It was neat, however, coming at The Hobbit in a different way than my husband did (he'd read it several times in childhood, while I went into AUJ thinking I wouldn't like it and not knowing what to expect... afterwards, I ended up knowing almost more than he did LOL!). It really doesn't matter about the how, when, or why... but just enjoying finding something new to discover that inspires you!

I was looking at the image rules for posting as I don't want to just dive in and step on toes (or flood screens/scrolling heheh)... would it be okay if I just left a link to my deviantART gallery in a new art-intro thread? I have several finished pieces and in-progress/sketched items, but I tried shrinking one down. I wasn't too pleased with how garbled it got... I think a link would be better. :)

Thanks so much for the welcome!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 21 2015, 8:09pm

Post #574 of 666 (96526 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, CFGriffith! // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 22 2015, 3:01am

Post #575 of 666 (98097 views)
Shortcut
That would probably be best [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it can get confusing trying to re-size photos to fit within the posting limits!

Yes, a post about what you're drawing and a link to your artwork would work, if you'd be willing to share it! I'm interested in seeing how you've "blended" the books and movies! Cool

Let me know if you have any trouble creating the link. I usually just type [url} then the url then end with [/url}, replacing the } with a ].

First page Previous page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.