The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Favorite elf scenes

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Jul 16 2015, 3:52pm

Post #1 of 20 (2087 views)
Shortcut
Favorite elf scenes Can't Post

What is everyone favorite elf scenes from the Hobbit/Lotr trilogies?

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 16 2015, 4:16pm

Post #2 of 20 (2026 views)
Shortcut
off the top of my head..... [In reply to] Can't Post

For me - absolutely #1 the clash of kingsHeartHeartHeartHeart....

Followed by Thranduil entering DaleHeartHeartHeartHeart:

Lots of favorite Thranduil moments - as when he steps on the twitching orcLaugh LOL

More:

Legolas coming down the spider line in DOS.

Legolas entering the fight at the bridge in DOS.

Returning Orcrist in BOFA.

The knife-fight at Bard's in DOS

LOL the elf in the cellar saying "say what you like about our ill-tempered king...."

From LOTR:

Galadriel standing on the riverbank, hand upraised in farewell

Any number of Legolas' LOTR shots

Elrond telling Isildur to cast the Ring into the fire...

I hafta think some more re LOTR re favorites!

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Jul 16 2015, 4:28pm

Post #3 of 20 (2014 views)
Shortcut
Those are all great scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

and I would probably say every elf scene is my favorite but my ten favorites are:
(and these aren't in order)
1. Flight to the Ford
2. Thranduil and Thorin
3. Thranduil and Tauriel in DOS
4. Elrond showing Arwen her future
5. The Lothlorien scenes in FOTR
6. Elrond talking to Bilbo
7. Legolas and Tauriel fighting at Bard's
8. Legolas and Tauriel's intros in DOS
9. Legolas flipping onto his horse in TTT
10. Arwen and Aragorn in the TTT.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jul 16 2015, 6:59pm

Post #4 of 20 (1955 views)
Shortcut
Tough call but - Galadriel? [In reply to] Can't Post

"In place of a dark lord, you would have a QUEEN!!!" If we're talking all the movies, probably this one. I do also like Legolas jumping on the horse from under the neck in TTT, but then again, it's possible that TTT is my favorite of all six.

In the Hobbit, definitely the Thorin v. Thranduil scene. I quite like the Legolas/Tauriel fight in Bard's house, probably my favorite fight scene in the trilogy. And of course Thranduil's sword work, whether cutting off an Orc's head from behind, or his ninja-blender fighting in Dale - I can see where his son gets it fromTongue

Honorable mention goes to Arwen's ride while being chased by the Nine, and "If you want him, come and claim him."

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

(This post was edited by Kilidoescartwheels on Jul 16 2015, 7:01pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 16 2015, 7:06pm

Post #5 of 20 (1944 views)
Shortcut
Ooooh - I had forgotten about a favorite of mine..... [In reply to] Can't Post

The awesome Hugo Weaving:

If Aragorn survives this war, you will still be parted. If Sauron is defeated and Aragorn made king and all that you hope for comes true you will still have to taste the bitterness of mortality. Whether by the sword or the slow decay of time, Aragorn will die. And there will be no comfort for you, no comfort to ease the pain of his passing. He will come to death an image of the splendor of the kings of Men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world. But you, my daughter, you will linger on in darkness and in doubt as nightfall in winter that comes without a star. Here you will dwell, bound to your grief, under the fading trees until all the world is changed and the long years of your life are utterly spent...

And Thorin/Elrond:

And when the Fellowship meets Haldir!

And because I can't resist a little funLaughCool

EvilCool

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 16 2015, 7:47pm

Post #6 of 20 (1934 views)
Shortcut
Oh goodness, so many..... [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ - Thranduil in the EE prologue; the elves on horseback, circling the dwarves; Elrond identifying the swords - and his 'dining room' and musicians; Elrond and Bilbo; just everything about Rivendell itself...

DoS - Feast of Starlight (one of my favourite scenes in all six films); Thranduil and Thorin; Legolas and another elf looking out into the forest discussing Tauriel; everything about Thranduil's halls; the elves raching through the trees, chasing the barrels...

BotFA - Thranduil arrives with help for the survivors of Laketown; all the scenes in Thranduil's tent, especially his conversation with Bilbo; Thranduil and Bard before the gate of Erebor; Leglolas and Tauriel at Gundabad; Thranduil fighting - both mounted and after his elk falls; the scene in which he realises how much the battle has cost and the elf with him blows the horn - (that's one of those visually perfect moments that stand out from all the films for me); Thranduil, Tauriel and Legolas; Thranduil's parting from Legolas

FotR - Elves in the Prologue; Frodo and Sam watching the elves on their way to the Havens; Aragorn singing the song of Luthien; Arwen's arrival; Gandalf and Elrond talking in Rivendell; everything about Rivendell; Elrond and Aragorn; Aragorn and Arwen on the bridge; Legolas' expression when Gandalf mentions the Balrog; Legolas fighting; first meeting with Haldir; everything about Lothlorien; Galadriel's gifts; the elven boats

TT - the three hunters (Legolas); Aragorn's conversations with Arwen in flashback; Elves arrive at Helm's Deep (I know they didn't - but I still love the way they do!); Haldir's death

RotK - Arwen's vision of Eldarion (one of my favourite scenes in all six films) and her return to her father; the forging of Anduril); Elrond predicting Arwen's future (another of my favourite scenes in all six); Elrond arrives at Dunharrow; the reuniting of the Fellowship and the Elves at Aragorn's coronation; the Grey Havens.

Have to admit I am rather fond of the Elves.......Smile

CathrineB
Rohan

Jul 16 2015, 7:49pm

Post #7 of 20 (1927 views)
Shortcut
Every elfless scene is a fave [In reply to] Can't Post

Nah that was mean. I quite love Thranduil and the scenes between him, Bard and Gandalf + Bilbo.

Also liked theone in DoS with the orc.

marary
Lorien

Jul 16 2015, 7:57pm

Post #8 of 20 (1922 views)
Shortcut
my faves! [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ - Poor Lindir suffering his rude, dwarvish house guests. I love Lindir. Jackson made for us a *fussy* elf character. And it's awesome.

DOS - Tauriel taking out those spiders. Gorgeous choreography and pure elven sass, way more cool and believable than Legolas who's already showing hints of troublesome gravity-defiance.

BOFA - Thranduil getting surrounded after his elk is killed and fighting his way out in Dale, obvs.

FOTR - Elrond's face when Merry and Pippin reveal themselves at the council. Literally just those few seconds.

TTT - Legolas and Aragorn making up after their Helm's Deep spat. Just precious.

ROTK - Frodo's vision of Galadriel where she lends a "helping hand".

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 16 2015, 8:07pm

Post #9 of 20 (1917 views)
Shortcut
Gifts of Galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

The entire gift giving scene in Lothlorien is probably my favorite, especially Galadriel's reaction to Gimli and her conversation with Aragorn. I also really love the scene where Frodo and Sam see the elves in the woods in FotR.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 16 2015, 10:19pm

Post #10 of 20 (1880 views)
Shortcut
the scene that never was is a DEFINITE favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ:

It was a scene that was really just unnecessary....

All they had do do was drop in the background! OMG - put the files out online and let the FANS finish it, and have a contest and the best footage goes into a collector edition! Even scientists are using data collected by "ordinary folks" and volunteers! It could be like reality TV!

*Puts head down and cries*FrownFrownFrown

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Jul 16 2015, 11:29pm

Post #11 of 20 (1861 views)
Shortcut
Ouch. [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing that image makes me sad.Frown

Thranderz
Rohan

Jul 17 2015, 10:06am

Post #12 of 20 (1786 views)
Shortcut
Dormouse [In reply to] Can't Post

You appear to have just listed every elf scene in the Hobbit trilogy Laugh

I simply walked into Mordor.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 17 2015, 12:52pm

Post #13 of 20 (1761 views)
Shortcut
Mmm.... funny, that! ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Did I mention that I rather like elves......Angelic

Elarie
Grey Havens

Jul 17 2015, 2:06pm

Post #14 of 20 (1742 views)
Shortcut
A ten year old's favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

So I'm visiting relatives and my 10 year old niece says her favorite elf scene is in BOTFA when the elves and the dwarves see the orcs coming and fight together against them instead of fighting each other. And she likes the elves jumping over the dwarves (me, too!). Smile

As for me - hard to pick out a favorite, but the Thorin/Thranduil scene is wonderful, and also in FOTR, that very first glimpse of the elves that Frodo and Sam saw in the Shire was very, very magical at the time. I still look forward to that little, brief scene when I watch Fellowship because it conveys that "first" view of the elves from Sam and Frodo's point of view so well.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Jul 17 2015, 2:32pm

Post #15 of 20 (1733 views)
Shortcut
Both those scenes are great! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a person who gets excited easily over a Tolkien film, so I thought it was so cool when the elves fought along side the dwarves!
and I loved the scene when Frodo and Sam see the elves leaving. It's beautiful and sad at the same time!

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Jul 17 2015, 6:37pm

Post #16 of 20 (1703 views)
Shortcut
Not so easy to find, [In reply to] Can't Post

because P Jackson, as far as I can see, wasn't as much fan of elves as he could be about hobbits or even dwarves.
He often depicts them as rigid & humorless, and when they fight he shows them as an ultra-disciplined troop, which I don't find really necessary.

For me, elves should have been more fluid, and in fact we had to wait for Thranduil to find one 'real' male elf.

By the way, Cate Blanchett's Galadriel radiates, as did Liv Tyler's Arwen and Evangeline Lilly's Tauriel. Even if Elrond did a much respectable performance, especially in AUJ, globally He-elves were more so-so than the Shes.

Thus most my 'best' elf-scenes are to be looked at involving female heroines.

- Galadriel descending the stairs in Lothlorien to meet Frodo and the Ring ;
- Arwen spelling for the Anduin fury against the Black Riders ;
- Tauriel running on rocks to get a look on Laketown, and many of her intense looks ;
- Thranduil's slight hand gesture to send Thorin rotting into his jail.

And one short scene in FOTR when you see an unknown elf riding a horse on his way to Rivendell in all its splendor.

Legolas had many great fun antics, but in my view he stayed all the way a human juvenile helped by cinematography.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2015, 5:32pm

Post #17 of 20 (1491 views)
Shortcut
All of them [In reply to] Can't Post

I may or may not be slightly elf-obsessed. If there's an elf scene anywhere in any of the movies, it is highly possible that I like it, and I'm terrible at choosing favorites. I really do enjoy them all.Smile

Lord I give you everything, Anything you want from me
Take my past and my future I lay it at your feet
Yeah, I'm after your heart, you've stolen mine
I give you my all 'cause you gave up your life
I'm not who I was simply because, Oh, you set me free

And you change me from what I used to be
Opened my eyes, now I can see
You're making this life so beautiful
So beautiful

~"Beautiful" by Dan Bremnes

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Jul 23 2015, 4:34am

Post #18 of 20 (1471 views)
Shortcut
What she said [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I may or may not be slightly elf-obsessed. If there's an elf scene anywhere in any of the movies, it is highly possible that I like it, and I'm terrible at choosing favorites. I really do enjoy them all.Smile

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Jul 28 2015, 10:59pm

Post #19 of 20 (1381 views)
Shortcut
Will focus on Gimli & Galadriel: Farewell Gift, one of my faves in whole LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Hello Oldest Daughter, we've talked up Arwen/Flight to Ford elsewhere, but I really wanted to give props to Peter J, Cate Blanchett, and John Rhys Davies for their wonderful work in the farewell gift scene at Lorien. Doing yet another book-film comparison.....

Books LOTR: Galadriel and Gimli strike up an immediate rapport when Galadriel defends Gimli after he and dwarves are verbally attacked by Celeborn for stirring up the balrog and the loss of Gandalf. A truly fine book LOTR moment, the Queen of a great people shows compassion and understanding for the dwarves, an elven nemesis from time to time.

Her point: elves would be attracted to Lorien even it was ruined, as the dwarves still long for Moria--the sympathy and empathy gets Celeborn to back down in his hasty judgement of Gimli. And now Gimli sees the elves with different eyes as well. He can find some support there where none seemed to exist.

Later Gimli says farewell, boldly declares his devotion to the Lady, rejecting a gift, then accepting the most unique gift in LOTR, IMHO, the golden hair strands. Gimli is changed, worthy now of elf respect--he is not at all grasping, greedy, as they once felt, but gracious and thoughtful. His actions impress the Queen and move her to action. New understandings between two conflicting races and a foundation/addition to the growing friendship of Legolas and Gimili.

Movies LOTR: PJ takes the concept that Gimli will feel the power of the elves and become a new dwarf and does well with it. John R-D expressing it is a fitting gift "to look upon the lady for a last time...more precious than jewels of the earth" was movingly played. While not as detailed as Tolkien in the book, it totally gets across the idea that Gimli wants nothing from her except her inspiration and understanding.

The scene does not have the eloquent declarations of the book, but is played more intimate, one on one. I enjoyed Gimli's stammering and heming,hawing over what gift she might give him. Her response is amusing too, a non Queenly giggle at his predicament, nice change of pace for Galadriel who is often deadly serious, warning others of peril. His boat scene, "she gave me three" is also a really great one, he really felt the impact of his new loyalty and love for Galadriel. It amuses Legolas and as in the book the bond between these two is growing. And the gifting was a way of reinforcing it. Legolas feels new connection to his friend and comrade.

The 13th Warrior, Left Field Caliphate,
"From the scroll rooms of Gondor....."

(This post was edited by the 13th warrior on Jul 28 2015, 11:03pm)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Jul 29 2015, 11:05pm

Post #20 of 20 (1358 views)
Shortcut
That's a scene [In reply to] Can't Post

that shows pure beauty. I had read that part in the book, and after reading that, I asked my mom if that was in the movie.( I had read the Fellowship of the Ring book a bit before I watched the movies.) She told me no. But when I read that it was in the EE I was so happy. I was happy when many scenes that I remembered from the books were in the EE's.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.