Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Does anyone know of any novels that span Two generations?

boldog
Rohan

Jul 16 2015, 9:51am

Post #1 of 9 (483 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone know of any novels that span Two generations? Can't Post

I know of many novels, particularly family sagas that span several generations. But I really want to find something that spans just two generations, mainly within a family. If there are such works would they still even be considered a family saga?

I'm writing a story at the moment that spans two generations, and would really like to read something similar that can give me a few ideas. I'm not sure if im doing the right thing making it go for two generations. I fear that two generations is too small for a family saga, yet too long for a consecutive story!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated Smile

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 16 2015, 12:29pm

Post #2 of 9 (444 views)
Shortcut
"Of Marriageable Age" by Sharon Maas [In reply to] Can't Post

This book is set mainly in India and spans two generations, if I recall correctly. I read it back in college.

Here's a link so you can research if it is the kind of book you're looking for. It's a rather big book, but very well written, and a page-turner even though it isn't a thriller.

EDIT: Also, the novel itself switches between different storylines set in different decades. It is a very "surprising" story as you may find out if you read it :)

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

(This post was edited by Earl on Jul 16 2015, 12:32pm)

boldog
Rohan

Jul 16 2015, 6:50pm

Post #3 of 9 (409 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely give it a shot!

Plurmo
Rohan

Jul 17 2015, 5:39am

Post #4 of 9 (384 views)
Shortcut
Could try asking someone from a family of very slow readers. [In reply to] Can't Post

No one said it but everyone thought it! Tongue

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2015, 8:37am

Post #5 of 9 (361 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 19 2015, 2:08pm

Post #6 of 9 (315 views)
Shortcut
I don't know if this counts, since it's a trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

But 'Little Women', 'Little Men' and 'Jo's Boys' came to my mind. In the course of the three books, we see the teenaged girls grow up and have children, their children as teenagers, and then as young adults. Now that I think of it, the "Anne of Green Gables" series also covers two generations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 19 2015, 10:15pm

Post #7 of 9 (298 views)
Shortcut
I love those books. [In reply to] Can't Post

And Little Men and Jack and Jill and . . . .

I haven't read them in years, but as a kid and teenager, I must have read at least some of them 15-20 times.Smile

I somehow never tried Anne of Green Gables, but my daughter and I watched the PBS series, which we enjoyed immensely.SmileSmile

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jul 19 2015, 10:28pm

Post #8 of 9 (297 views)
Shortcut
This. If you don't mind an [In reply to] Can't Post

"older children's" level, and animals as protagonists--but not in the usual way. I ate these up as a kid in apparently really good translations from German. Don't laugh! And don't let Disney even enter your mind--these are emotionally complicated and they deal with a great deal of angst and tragedy. It's actually the third generation in the second book, but I think the transfer is much clearer from one generation to another in that 2nd volume, although it doesn't deal with deep, philosophical issues as much. The Amazon reviews I think are pretty on point, for the most part..

http://www.amazon.com/Bambi-Felix-Salten/dp/1447417763/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1437344577&sr=8-3&keywords=Bambi+and+Bambi%27s+Children+by+Felix+Salten

http://www.amazon.com/...dren+by+Felix+Salten

boldog
Rohan

Jul 21 2015, 8:40am

Post #9 of 9 (256 views)
Shortcut
thanks heaps everyone [In reply to] Can't Post

definitely going to check all these out

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.