The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Guillermo still hasn't seen The Hobbit movies

Junesong
Rohan

Jul 16 2015, 4:21am

Post #1 of 20 (1705 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo still hasn't seen The Hobbit movies Can't Post

He also says he hopes that maybe someday we'll get to see his designs!

Thoughts?

He's very positive in the interview but it feels like some posturing. There's a great behind the scenes documentary to be made here no doubt.

http://collider.com/guillermo-del-toro-on-pacific-rim-2-the-hobbit-crimson-peak/

"Tim... Canterbury... Canterbury Tales... Chaucer... Shakespeare."

(This post was edited by Junesong on Jul 16 2015, 4:22am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 16 2015, 6:20am

Post #2 of 20 (1614 views)
Shortcut
*Shrug* [In reply to] Can't Post

Think GT was being diplomatic over what I imagine was a frustrating and stressful situation - you spend a lot of time and effort on a job, and then have to make some difficult choices. Who knows what projects were tabled while GT worked on the Hobbit. And then the project you let go gets greenlit after all, and it seems as tho little if any of your vision was retained.

But you still have and want to preserve a relationship with certain people. And, too, what can you say, if you made the decision to leave, even if it's an understandable decision? I just think for now GT would prefer to distance himself and still have his relationship with PJ. Since both are skilled directors the whole thing is a bit awkward without it being anyone's fault.

But time buffers a lot - and having seen a few leaked? GT designs they seem more akin to a Tim Burton movie IMO - it would have been an adjustment. It will be interesting to see more one day.

Silmaril
Rohan

Jul 16 2015, 6:37am

Post #3 of 20 (1593 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting this! [In reply to] Can't Post

Such a documentary would be interesting.

emre43
Rohan

Jul 16 2015, 6:40am

Post #4 of 20 (1588 views)
Shortcut
To be honest I'm very glad he didn't get involved with The Hobbit in the end [In reply to] Can't Post

His designs were worse than PJ's poor designs, so the last thing I'd want him to be doing is directing the movies

Two things I love most, good horses and beautiful women, And when I die I hope they tan this old hide of mine and make it into a ladies riding saddle, So I can rest in peace between the two things I love.
- Russell J. Larsen

Legolas_Shoehorn
Bree

Jul 16 2015, 7:14am

Post #5 of 20 (1569 views)
Shortcut
As Avandel said ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... i guess it's a diplomatic thing by GDT to prevent any critical question toward PJ's work.

It's a common thing in movie business.

For example: when Ewan McGregor (Obi Wan Kenobi, Star Wars Prequels) is questioned about the "Episode I - The Phantom Menace"
he always says: I have seen the movie only once back in 1999 at the premiere so can't really remember anything about Episode I blal bla bla.

My English is not that good, my Elvish is better ;-)

CathrineB
Rohan

Jul 16 2015, 8:48am

Post #6 of 20 (1527 views)
Shortcut
I know... [In reply to] Can't Post

... a few who has jumped on this fact for being Guillermo being shameful of the final trilogy (which kinda doesn't add up since if he hasn't seen it how can he say so?) Laugh

I can't blame him though. He seemed quite eager for the project in the beginning so letting go of it had to be a terrible feeling. Watching something you had to let go have a tendency to some to end up a bit bittersweet. So maybe he wants to watch it when some more time has passed.

Also regarding his designs not being used, isn't that something PJ explains in the AUJ EE? That he didn't feel it would be right to use too much of another director's designs when he was no longer involved? As a way of respect sort of?

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 16 2015, 9:31am

Post #7 of 20 (1516 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

If I had put a lot of work into a project and then had to leave it, and someone else took it over, I would have very mixed feelings about their version - simply because the version in my heart and mind would be my own.

He's in a very difficult position here. He must know that whatever he says people will be listening out for things they can use to knock Peter Jackson's films and to suggest ill-feeling between them. That's what people do.

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Jul 16 2015, 10:46am

Post #8 of 20 (1486 views)
Shortcut
Frankly... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the fact that he left so he could go make "Pacific Rim" instead doesn't speak that highly of his situation to me. Crazy

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 16 2015, 3:14pm

Post #9 of 20 (1393 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Also regarding his designs not being used, isn't that something PJ explains in the AUJ EE? That he didn't feel it would be right to use too much of another director's designs when he was no longer involved? As a way of respect sort of?

Although what PJ says is that having looked the designs over, "they would make a great del Toro movie" but then goes on to say something to the effect of not being able to put himself in someone's head - or something like that - and then Richard Taylor goes on to comment on 'of course PJ would want to implement his own vision' - so I think all of that was respectful but also makes sense when another director is taking over, that they are going to use their own design aesthetic.

Personally, after seeing the leaked del Toro metal armadillos or whatever they were for the HobbitUnsure, I am happy the way things turned out, as that was looking a little steampunk for me and how I envision Middle Earth.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 16 2015, 3:21pm

Post #10 of 20 (1392 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Del Toro evidently loves Pacific Rim, the articles I read at the time - he seemed truly enthusiastic like this interview. A lot of folks like PR - myself, I hope PR2 gets a lot of tweaks - er - I am glad I didn't pay the theater price, personally.Unsure

I agree w. Dormouse tho that folks look for some sort of juicy conflict to report, nothing wrong with being diplomatic - especially a situation like this where it was not anyone's fault. And happily the Hobbit movies are very successful, with many (not all) fans and audiences, and by the *gold standard*, the box office$$$.WinkCoolEvil

Dcole4
Rohan

Jul 16 2015, 4:32pm

Post #11 of 20 (1358 views)
Shortcut
I have my doubts... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there is much more to the GDT story than "he left because it was taking too long." I've heard there was quiet dissatisfaction from some of the art conceptualization team over the direction GDT was going, and articles have pointed out that there were strong differences in opinion between PJ and GTD over Smaug's design. I've heard that Del Toro wanted to add lot of gears to several locations as a motif, most unsettlingly in Rivendell as part of the bridge/entrance. Part of me wonders if there was maneuvering behind the scenes to politely position GTD out of the project when it because clear his creative direction wasn't going to mesh with so many people who worked on the first trilogy.

I would still love to see his version. Plays are revamped, films are remade, I don't see why an additional version couldn't co-exist, especially if it was tonally different, which a Del Toro version certainly would.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 16 2015, 6:11pm

Post #12 of 20 (1324 views)
Shortcut
But is it helpful to voice that kind of suggestion.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... when you have no evidence. "I've heard that..." being no sort of evidence at all, just hearsay. We've all heard that kind of thing suggested in here ever since Guillermo left The Hobbit. And after a while the suggestions take root, and someone somewhere will be saying "I've read that....." when all they've read is your post, and so it goes. And once the suggestion has taken wing and no one remembers or can check the source, it becomes ingrained. "Well, we all know that...."

Before Guillermo left the project he was full of enthusiasm and I don't remember any suggestion at all that things were going wrong on the design side. And anything said now I'm afraid I wouldnlt trust, because I have no means of testing it. Some people like to believe the worst, I'm afraid. Always have, always will.

Avandel
Half-elven

Jul 16 2015, 7:33pm

Post #13 of 20 (1279 views)
Shortcut
I'd be happy to see a GDT Hobbit - now..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Because the IMO gorgeous Hobbit movies exist and always will - PJ's version - so I say bring on the re-boots/reshoots/re-interpretations!Cool

and articles have pointed out that there were strong differences in opinion between PJ and GTD over Smaug's design. I've heard that Del Toro wanted to add lot of gears to several locations as a motif, most unsettlingly in Rivendell as part of the bridge/entrance. Part of me wonders if there was maneuvering behind the scenes to politely position GTD out of the project when it because clear his creative direction wasn't going to mesh with so many people who worked on the first trilogy....

Weeeelll - I think Dormouse makes some good points about sources - and I am gonna GUESS in the "bitter watches of the night" there probably was some artistic angst - but that's the thing. WETA is a company and you know graphic/set/sculptor artists - doesn't matter if you agree with your client, you are hired to implement the "boss's" vision - not your own. Just like I imagine I wouldn't be too happy having had no sleep making goblin heads and then having those tabled by the director. Or changing Smaug's legs pretty late in the day.ShockedShockedShocked

Personally while I don't think GDT was maneuvered out - because PJ seemed to have such mixed feelings about directing anyway...but the one I always will wonder about is Stuart Townsend because IMO it's not that hard to make a person look a bit harder and grittier with make-up - easier than making them look younger, anyway.

http://screenrant.com/stuart-townsend-replaced-by-joshua-dallas-minute-thor-cast-rob-40881/
Stuart Townsend, who was cast as one of “The Warriors Three” in Kenneth Branagh’s production of Thor for Marvel Studios, has left due to creative differences. Replacing Townsend as Fandral the Dashing will be relative unknown Joshua Dallas according to two anonymous inside sources.
The change reportedly occurred last week and this is slightly curious but not that uncommon. It is very last minute with principal photography is set to begin tomorrow and I wonder what sort of creative dispute would make Stuart want to bail on such a high profile project. This is the first hiccup we’ve seen from the casting side of things as everything leading up to this point has been on the up and up for what has become an amazingly talented cast.

I mean, seriously, is this guy under a geas, or what? CoolEvil

Hó , Það sé ég föður minn
Hó , Það sé ég móður mína, og Hó, Það sé ég bræður mínir og systur mínar
Hó , Það sé ég mitt fólk aftur í byrjun
Hó, gera Þeir kalla til mín, og bjóða mér að taka minn stað meðal þeirra í sölum Valhallar
Hvar hugrakkir mun lifa að eilífu

glor
Rohan

Jul 17 2015, 1:33am

Post #14 of 20 (1190 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

I find the conjecture misdirected when, a massive corporate Hollywood studio that was on the verge of financial disaster was involved.

To imagine scenarios that involved creative differences when WB needed a sure fire guaranteed hit, is a little naive IMHO.

I mean, invest half a billion and get the Oscar winning, showered with awards director to continue the 'franchise' or, leave it in the hands of a well regarded but unpredictable individual?

As a business decision it's a no brainer and Hollywood loves no brainers

No mascara can survive BOTFA

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Jul 17 2015, 10:54pm

Post #15 of 20 (1044 views)
Shortcut
And probably best to keep it that way. [In reply to] Can't Post

They are - in internet lexicon - "teh suck".

* crunch *

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 26 2015, 10:06pm

Post #16 of 20 (728 views)
Shortcut
I believe that GT left because [In reply to] Can't Post

The studio would not green-light the Hobbit without PJ at the helm. It also looked like he was going to get to do his pet project "H.P. Lovecraft's At The Mountains of Madness". That deal fell apart, (at least partly) because Del Toro refused to go for less than an "R" rating. K.S.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 28 2015, 10:49pm

Post #17 of 20 (680 views)
Shortcut
(psst...Kangi Ska, [In reply to] Can't Post

' nice to see the old bird's back.Smile )
Cheers,
Liss

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jul 28 2015, 11:30pm

Post #18 of 20 (675 views)
Shortcut
Hi, Kangi! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're wrong, though. Warner Bros. was fine with del Toro directing, but he grew weary of the delays and decided to move on to other projects (especially At the Mountains of Madness which, unfortunately, proved to be doomed).

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 11:43am

Post #19 of 20 (653 views)
Shortcut
I check the boards frequently and will contribute when I have something to say. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would still say that GDT was leveraged out. The delay of the project green-light went beyond reasonable expectations. KS

Photobucket

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jul 29 2015, 11:45am

Post #20 of 20 (652 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep an eye on this board...just haven't had much to offer lately. KS

Photobucket

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.