Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
I am reading the book and I can't imagine different looks for the characters without imagine PJ's visual

DainPig
Gondor

Jul 16 2015, 2:00am

Post #1 of 6 (970 views)
Shortcut
I am reading the book and I can't imagine different looks for the characters without imagine PJ's visual Can't Post

Can you help me? How can I imagine "new" visuals differents from the movies?

How aaaaaaaaaaaaaare you all???

squire
Half-elven

Jul 16 2015, 2:16am

Post #2 of 6 (953 views)
Shortcut
Many illustrators have visualized the Tolkien stories [In reply to] Can't Post

Use Google Images or the equivalent, on phrases that contain chapters or characters from the book. You'll see there's a wide variety of visions of Tolkien, many of which are not copied from the films.

I think you'll really like the work of Ezpeleta - she's very talented.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Jul 16 2015, 2:00pm

Post #3 of 6 (921 views)
Shortcut
That’s a tough call [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Can you help me? How can I imagine "new" visuals differents from the movies?

I think you’re probably stuck! I believe your (inner) visuals will most likely always revert back to the films. (Which is ok.)

Whereas I read the books many many times BEFORE the movies ever came out, I usually go back to my ‘mind’s-eye’ book-version.

Now when I watch the films it’s a contest between MY imagination (Tolkien’s written word) vs PJ’s imagination. The two don’t always mesh, but it is what it is.

Perhaps don’t watch the films for a few months; then your own (and Tolkien’s descriptions) imagination will be more free to flow.

Boromir looked in surprise at Bilbo, but the laughter died on his lips when he saw that all the others regarded the old hobbit with grave respect. Only Glóin smiled, but his smile came from old memories.
-JRR Tolkien

balbo biggins
Rohan

Jul 16 2015, 3:45pm

Post #4 of 6 (904 views)
Shortcut
read! [In reply to] Can't Post

when there is description in the book, use that to draw a picture in your mind

for example

'"Gandalf was shorter in stature than the other two; but his long white hair, his sweeping silver beard, and his broad shoulders, made him look like some wise king of ancient legend. In his aged face under great snowy brows his eyes were set like coals that could suddenly burst into fire."

this reads different Mckellans look in the film i think, mckellan doesnt have book gandalfs steely eyes, or fierce confidence,its all there! sort of!

(This post was edited by balbo biggins on Jul 16 2015, 3:46pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2015, 6:56pm

Post #5 of 6 (791 views)
Shortcut
my middle earth [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the Bakshi film as I was starting to read LOTR.

Ack.

Tongue

I quickly discovered some fine art by Judy King-Rieniets (just google her name). Her images from LOTR, particularly Glorfindel on Asfaloth, and the Fellowship ("who's the blond guy with the bow?") caught my interest.

My own art tended to follow her lead a bit. I was amused to see that after 20-some years, the visuals of the LOTR films actually matched what I had been drawing pretty well!

While this is a general interpretation of "middle earth" this pinterest board contains images that show my view of LOTR's Middle Earth;

https://www.pinterest.com/swordwhale/my-middle-earth/

keep calm and open paddock 9

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Member of Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats.

danmax67
The Shire

Aug 11 2015, 1:42am

Post #6 of 6 (536 views)
Shortcut
Funny but [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, the casting was near perfect. I read the books first and when I saw FotR, I was amazed how the characters looked almost exactly as I had pictured them in my mind for years.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.